Where To Get A Really Good Road Map Of Thailand

Artamus

Does such a thing exist? I'd like to get hold of good, detailed road map "book" of Thailand. Not one of those fold out sheets, but more the type of atlas type books you buy for motoring around Europe.

If such a map book exists, is it available in Chiang Mai?

Thanks

Many years ago I had a book style set of maps in A4 size which covered the whole country, it was produced by the Royal Thai Survey Dept. and was available from their map sales outlet in Bangkok. Not sure if it is still available.

Although this is not a book style atlas this company does produce very good fairly up-to-date maps. They are readily available in a number of bookstores around Chiang Mai

Here is a sample thailand-road-map-and-city-map_p.jpg

Edited by Blinky Bill

Thanks for the replies - looks like at least it's possible in theory......

What is "in theory"? Sh*t, we show you pictures of the map, the name of the map, AND where to go buy one! What? You want us to go buy it for you also? Why is everything so dam_n negative around here most of the time.

What is "in theory"? Sh*t, we show you pictures of the map, the name of the map, AND where to go buy one! What? You want us to go buy it for you also? Why is everything so dam_n negative around here most of the time.

Wow, someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning! "In theory" was supposed to pertain to the fact that it might be out of stock, out of print or otherwise unobtainable by the time I get to a store (not currently in Thailand). Was supposed to be light-hearted, not negative at all - sorry if I offended some sensitivities. Jeez you gotta be careful what you say on these boards!

To get a really well detailed map, for road trips, I would suggest not getting an atlas (book format) type map. Although the detail might be there, they are somewhat ungainly, and flipping pages when transiting from one map page area to another can be confusing.

I like to use the old school folded up type maps, that are easily stored in a small space (dash compartment, jacket pocket, etc.) that show a lot of detail, but are small.

I can recommend two sources for road travel maps. One is the publisher Berndtson. Their maps are printed on a waterproof paper, have reasonable detail (secondary roads, etc.), and good city street maps on the reverse side. The other source are the maps produced by our friend davidgtr, the Golden Triangle Rider maps, that are specific to northern Thailand, Laos, and a few smaller No. Thailand areas (Mae Hong Son- The Loop, and Mae Sa Valley- The Samoeng Loop). They were largely designed for motorcycle touring, and offer very fine road detail, as well as off-road trails and tracks navigable by motorbikes.

Both series are available at most bookstores here in CM; I bought all my copies at Gecko Books.

The Royal Thai Survey Maps are very detailed, and offer topographical data (elevation contour lines) as well as all watercourses, some structure (building) data, etc. They don't really work well as road/driving maps, but are a boon to hikers, campers, etc. Suriwong Books sells most of these for north Thailand- I have dozens.

Yes, I am a map junkie........ :o

Hope this helps.

McG

To get a really well detailed map, for road trips, I would suggest not getting an atlas or the old school folded up type maps.

What you really want is a GPS :D

The Royal Thai Survey Maps are very detailed, and offer topographical data (elevation contour lines) as well as all watercourses, some structure (building) data, etc. They don't really work well as road/driving maps, but are a boon to hikers, campers, etc.

In complete agreement here.

I have dozens.

Yes, I am a map junkie........ :o

And here :D

Cheers

Shopping GPS's right now, and have read your comments on other forums regarding same!

When I toured in Europe and the US on a motorcycle I always had a GPS, but it was a Magellan, a bit clunky and outdated. The maps supported also left something to be desired. I would seriously consider the Garmin, with the good map data, but I need something small in size, but with a large display (a contradiction in terms, I know!) that can be slipped into a motorcycle tank bag map pocket, and that can be powered by an external power supply.

I once had a chance to interview the director of Prachuab Khirikhan Highway Department in his Hua Hin office. After the interview he pulled out a roadmap book of the whole kingdom. I'm guessing you can go to any highway department and see if they have one. If not for free, it's not a lot of money to spend.

Wow, someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning! "In theory" was supposed to pertain to the fact that it might be out of stock, out of print or otherwise unobtainable by the time I get to a store (not currently in Thailand). Was supposed to be light-hearted, not negative at all - sorry if I offended some sensitivities. Jeez you gotta be careful what you say on these boards!

You are absolutely right. Bad day on another forum, carried it over to here. Please accept my apology. :o

On a lighter note, I agree with McGriffith that a fold out map is usually more convenient, but your specific question was regarding a book type map. I use the GT-Rider maps and also Berndston maps. You need a good map even if you do use a GPS. It is hard to get a good overall view for trip planning using just the GPS.

On a lighter note, I agree with McGriffith that a fold out map is usually more convenient, but your specific question was regarding a book type map. I use the GT-Rider maps and also Berndston maps. You need a good map even if you do use a GPS. It is hard to get a good overall view for trip planning using just the GPS.

I agree for route planning.

But for the actual road trip a GPS is better.

McG I think HDRIDER has a Garmin Zoumo(sp) which he sounded happy with.

Cheers

There's a large selection of maps at a friendly GPS shop in Panthip Plaza- I think on the 2nd Floor, right near the elevator, called 'Eagle GPS'. They are into mapping n uploading new ways to get around - whatever that project is. I don't have a GPS meself, but I know I see them advertising the Garmins. Maybe worth a look. I have bought maps there - they have a large rack with opened examples of each one for you to preview b4 you buy the wrapped up version to take home - that's a nice thing.

Does such a thing exist? I'd like to get hold of good, detailed road map "book" of Thailand. Not one of those fold out sheets, but more the type of atlas type books you buy for motoring around Europe.

If such a map book exists, is it available in Chiang Mai?

Thanks

The Chiang Mai Big Map (available at the Suriwongse Book Center) is the most accurate map for the town of Chiang mai.

I have 2 of the book types, find they are easier to use and last much longer.

Having said this, both these maps have good points that are not in each book, so that is why I use the 2.

Having said that, both these mapos did not have several roads on it where we were travelling and resulted in several detours and wanderings around roads not intending tp take.

One good thing about Los roads are the highway markers, if you are ever lost or think you have taken a wrong turn, look for these and they have the highway number on them, you can then see where you are and the distance from the next town etc.

Would be interested to see how good the survey maps are and how good the gps systems are.

Two decent bilingual Thai Road Map Atlas in book form I know of.

The biggest and most detailed is Thinknet's Thailand Deluxe Atlas 2nd. edition in 1:550,000 scale at 550 Baht.

Smaller at 1:1,000,000 scale is the Roadway Thailand Atlas at 199 Baht.

If you can't see them in the shops or at a Caltex pump try my site at dco.co.th

Danny

Found this one at D.K. Bookstore in Chiang Mai and is quite good

post-3361-1193742424_thumb.jpg

They also sell a all Thailand version. There was limited supply at D.K. but I have seen them around. You may have to shop a little.

This IS defenitely the one to go for 'PN MAP' absolute best .. Did a lot of driving,so can veryfy on my own experience..nutting else but PN MAP