Quality Wine

englishoak

I'm partial to a nice glass of wine now and then. I remember the only choice was to pay ridiculous prices in BKK for imported wines. Most of which were not much better than an average plonk back home.

I found this article about some Thai wines but i'm a little sceptical about their quality. May be there is a reasonable wine out there at a resonable price.

THAI WINES.

Traditionally when sourcing superb wines Thailand wines have not featured high on the look for list, but with a new approach by local winemaking industries, borrowing tecnologies from France and Australia, Thai wines have found a new prominence in the market.

CHATEAU DE LOEI LABEL

An example of Thai excellence is the Chateau de Loei label. The winery is situated in the Loei province at Phu Rua. Below is a list of their available wines, they are available in most Thailand hotels and clubs. They are also finding their way around the world. Thailands most successful wine maker, their wines were launched in 1996 and are now producing two crops a year and a half a million bottles annually. Exporting to Europe, America and japan.

WHITE WINES:

Chenin Blanc. White.

Fresh, fruity, flavorful and finishes with a pleasant touch of sweetness.

Great as an aperitif, or serve with spicy Thai food, fish, seafood and chicken. Chenin Blanc. White Extra Dry.

Has a fresh and fragrant bouquet, fine, flavorful and dry.

Great served with Thai dishes with seafood. The dry flavour of this wine enhances the spiciness of a Thai seafood dish.Chenin Blanc. White Dessert Wine.

A rich sweet flavour of a late season harvest.

Great with a not too heavy desert dessert or skip the desert and just have the wine. RED WINES:Syrah. Red.

A deep fruity taste with fine soft tannins and a supple oak, a nice cherry fragrance.

Goes well with a slow cooked red meat dish, or a full tasting spicy Thai dish.Syrah. Red Reserve.

intense red colour, heaps of bold oak, but balanced with a full ripe berry fruit flavour and an agreeable mellow tannin finish. Drink on its own or with dishes that aren't too heavy on the spices.

ROSE WINES.

Syrah, Rose.

Fresh and lively, a nice fruity flavour and a sweet clean fresh finish.

Agreeable with most foods, a good allrounder. Goes great with a delicate Thai dish.

More and more the drinking of wines are becoming popular in Thailand no thanks to the government. Unfortunately government tax is heavy on all alcahol. Imported wine cops a hefty 340% tax. Once this comes down then undoubtedly the popularity of wine will increase.

SIAM WINERY.

Another of Thailand's wineries is the winery Siam Winery. it's located in the area known as the floating vineyards. Near Samut Sakorn. The oldest viticultural area in Thailand and also the largest. The vines seperated by canals are harvested by boat. The grape varieties found here are Pok Dum and Malaga Blanc. They are used in the making of Thai white wines.Siam Winery is dedicated to making wines to accompany and complement spicy Thai food. With the popularity of thai food throughout the world, this venture should prove to very profitable.

A SELECTION OF THAI WINES.

Red wine grapes are grown in the hills of Pak Chong. Its climate is cooler and more suitable for the Shiraz and Colombard grapes and other internationally known grape varieties.

REDS:

Monsoon Valley Red:– a dry red. Blended with Pok Dum, Syrah and Muscat grapes.

Fruity aroma with a touch of spice with the subtlety of oak.

Medium-bodied.

Monsoon Valley Shiraz Special Reserve: – made on Shiraz grapes.

A full bodied, dark puple robe. Fragrant, spicy with the hint of cedar. An intense taste of rich plum. Nice smooth finish

.Monsoon Valley White:– a dry white.

Blended from Malaga Blanc and Colombard grapes. The colour is pale golden with green hue. The It has a estery, floral aroma, and is light , bright and delicate with clean citrus flavours and a refreshing acidity.

Monsoon Valley Rose: pinkish colour with a hint of orange.

A rich plum fruity aroma. Has a taste of watermelon mixed with a hint of mango and kiwi.

A light bodied, crisp and fresh, finishing delicately

Comments anyone ?

I'm not an expert, but I have tried several of the brands you mention and they are not at all bad - IMHO.

However they are not cheap - due to the ridiculous tax structure - kept in place by the whisky and beer manufacturers who are scared of Thais getting a taste for wine and affecting their business.

You can get fairly decent imported wines cheaper.

TIT :o

I suppose it depends on what you call decent. In the supermarkets around me in Bang Kapi (Bkk) I found so very quaffable Aussie and Chilean bottles that sell for £5-7 in the UK for 360-500 baht. Now these are not Petrus but they are very drinkable.

I suppose it depends on what you call decent. In the supermarkets around me in Bang Kapi (Bkk) I found so very quaffable Aussie and Chilean bottles that sell for £5-7 in the UK for 360-500 baht. Now these are not Petrus but they are very drinkable.

The last time I looked - which was a while back - Chateaux Loei or something similar cost around 800 - 900 Baht/bottle. If you could find it.

I'm not talking about that OTOP rubbish they are selling in Carrefour - don't know what that is and don't want to know.

Edited by Mobi

Do feel for you oenophiles out there. I have a friend who likes a decent glass of wine every once and a while so on the way back from my last visa run to Penang, I bought a bottle of Aussie Penfolds cabernet savignon at airport duty free (Penang that is) and it came out to about US$ 35. I was in Villa Pattaya recently and checked out the price of the SAME bottle of wine...price...B4000+ !! My calculation had it at US$ 123.00!!! Ouch

I made a run to Villa Sukhumvit and saw this CHATEAU DE LOEI LABEL priced at 699 baht. I looked, I laughed, I left ...

Twenty bucks to try out a questionable thai wine is pretty ridiculous. :o Those bottles will stay on the shelves for a long time!!!

Many good imports can be had for 500 baht or so. I will wait until the free weekend wine tastings during the holiday seasons to find out how bad or good these thai wines are. Recommend the poster do the same.

Do feel for you oenophiles out there. I have a friend who likes a decent glass of wine every once and a while so on the way back from my last visa run to Penang, I bought a bottle of Aussie Penfolds cabernet savignon at airport duty free (Penang that is) and it came out to about US$ 35. I was in Villa Pattaya recently and checked out the price of the SAME bottle of wine...price...B4000+ !! My calculation had it at US$ 123.00!!! Ouch

Yep – the tax on wine here is outrageous. Its rather frustrating that (as I assume it is) the high tax on imported items is to aid with the sales of local items. But this in no way encourages to the local items to compete on a level playing field. And with products such as wine the geography (soil) and climate make it quite impossible to compete at a high level.

I come and go regularly and pick up a bottle at duty free whenever returning. My girlfriend travels a lot and does the same thing.

The Penfolds at duty free: Bin 407 at Bkk duty free is B1000 (in Villa its B4800 / In Auz its about B700). Bin 389 at Bkk duty free is B1500 (in Villa its B4200 / in Auz its about B800). The duty free even sells Bin 707 and Grange which are expensive but if you really wanted one its offers a huge saving (the Grange I believe is about B11,000ish at duty free, I saw it in the wine shop in Paragon for B49,000, although I’m not sure of vintage. I can only assume that it will acquire dust at that price !)

I have e-mailed wine merchants around Bangkok, and using the Penfolds as an example enquired how much it would cost if I ordered in volume, i.e. 24 and 48 bottles. However, I was told uniformly that they will not import to order, we can only buy what they already import. This seemed to me to be a bit of a lazy ‘don’t want to deal with it’ kind of reply.

In short, I have reasoned with myself that attempting to buy half decent wine in Thailand is just not possible, and I’ll be sticking to duty free wine and the B300-500 corkage charge at the restraints. Another point here is the price of wine in the restraints also, using the same examples; I’ve seen Penfolds Bin 407 in restaurant menus from B7000 up…. ouch !

Possible good news (if there is any and if I am correct with my understanding) is that with trade agreements, the taxation on Australian wine (I don’t think this will happen yet with wines from other regions) will be taxed less over the coming years, further information on this can be found on the internet.

Chon geaw…

Edited by richard_smith237

I have heard from "those in the know" that huge quantities of wine are smuggled into Thailand and sold to BKK restaurants, and wine distributors.

One of the major sources of duty free wine is Thailand's favourite airline - apparently!! :o

This will account for occasionally coming across good quality wine at reasonable prices - for Thailand anyway.

I have heard from "those in the know" that huge quantities of wine are smuggled into Thailand and sold to BKK restaurants, and wine distributors.

One of the major sources of duty free wine is Thailand's favourite airline - apparently!! :o

This will account for occasionally coming across good quality wine at reasonable prices - for Thailand anyway.

You can tell if the bottle has a duty seal.

Cheers

Cheers

There will be no seal when the bottle has been opened and served at your restaurant dining table.

Cheers

There will be no seal when the bottle has been opened and served at your restaurant dining table.

At most restaurants the bottle is presented to you prior to opening.

Buying by the glass or house wines is different.

Cheers

Cheers

At most restaurants the bottle is presented to you prior to opening.

Buying by the glass or house wines is different.

Cheers

I doubt whether most customers would be looking for the duty seal when presented with a bottle in an upmarket restaurant. In fact, it would be easy for the waiter to hide the lack of seal, whilst showing the label to the customer. :D

I'm not an expert, but I have tried several of the brands you mention and they are not at all bad - IMHO.

However they are not cheap - due to the ridiculous tax structure - kept in place by the whisky and beer manufacturers who are scared of Thais getting a taste for wine and affecting their business.

Mobi, most of the high taxes on wine impacts imported wine, not locally produced wine. From talking to some of the wineries, their main problem to lowering prices seems to be that they don't yet produce high enough volumes to easily cover their fixed costs. In addition, foreign wineries have access to over productions (grapes) in which to produce blended wines. Many of the wines imported into Thailand are these cheaper blends, although often these wines are of excellent value for money. The local wine industry has a long way to go before they can compete on price against the imports despite high taxes.

Mobi, most of the high taxes on wine impacts imported wine, not locally produced wine. From talking to some of the wineries, their main problem to lowering prices seems to be that they don't yet produce high enough volumes to easily cover their fixed costs. In addition, foreign wineries have access to over productions (grapes) in which to produce blended wines. Many of the wines imported into Thailand are these cheaper blends, although often these wines are of excellent value for money. The local wine industry has a long way to go before they can compete on price against the imports despite high taxes.
Unfortunately for Thai wine producers, whilst they do not have to pay the 60% import duty levied on wines produced elsewhere, they do have to pay the 200% excise duty. That means that even Thai wine, in Thailand , looks expensive when compared to retail prices in Europe .

http://www.bangkokwinesociety.com/Thai_wine.htm

Cheers

I'm partial to a nice glass of wine now and then. I remember the only choice was to pay ridiculous prices in BKK for imported wines. Most of which were not much better than an average plonk back home.

I found this article about some Thai wines but i'm a little sceptical about their quality. May be there is a reasonable wine out there at a resonable price.

THAI WINES.

Traditionally when sourcing superb wines Thailand wines have not featured high on the look for list, but with a new approach by local winemaking industries, borrowing tecnologies from France and Australia, Thai wines have found a new prominence in the market.

CHATEAU DE LOEI LABEL

An example of Thai excellence is the Chateau de Loei label. The winery is situated in the Loei province at Phu Rua. Below is a list of their available wines, they are available in most Thailand hotels and clubs. They are also finding their way around the world. Thailands most successful wine maker, their wines were launched in 1996 and are now producing two crops a year and a half a million bottles annually. Exporting to Europe, America and japan.

WHITE WINES:

Chenin Blanc. White.

Great as an aperitif, or serve with spicy Thai food, fish, seafood and chicken. Chenin Blanc. White Extra Dry.

Great served with Thai dishes with seafood. The dry flavour of this wine enhances the spiciness of a Thai seafood dish.Chenin Blanc. White Dessert Wine.

Great with a not too heavy desert dessert or skip the desert and just have the wine. RED WINES:Syrah. Red.

A deep fruity taste with fine soft tannins and a supple oak, a nice cherry fragrance.

Goes well with a slow cooked red meat dish, or a full tasting spicy Thai dish.Syrah. Red Reserve.

intense red colour, heaps of bold oak, but balanced with a full ripe berry fruit flavour and an agreeable mellow tannin finish. Drink on its own or with dishes that aren't too heavy on the spices.

ROSE WINES.

Syrah, Rose.

Agreeable with most foods, a good allrounder. Goes great with a delicate Thai dish.

More and more the drinking of wines are becoming popular in Thailand no thanks to the government. Unfortunately government tax is heavy on all alcahol. Imported wine cops a hefty 340% tax. Once this comes down then undoubtedly the popularity of wine will increase.

SIAM WINERY.

Another of Thailand's wineries is the winery Siam Winery. it's located in the area known as the floating vineyards. Near Samut Sakorn. The oldest viticultural area in Thailand and also the largest. The vines seperated by canals are harvested by boat. The grape varieties found here are Pok Dum and Malaga Blanc. They are used in the making of Thai white wines.Siam Winery is dedicated to making wines to accompany and complement spicy Thai food. With the popularity of thai food throughout the world, this venture should prove to very profitable.

Red wine grapes are grown in the hills of Pak Chong. Its climate is cooler and more suitable for the Shiraz and Colombard grapes and other internationally known grape varieties.

REDS:

Medium-bodied.

A full bodied, dark puple robe. Fragrant, spicy with the hint of cedar. An intense taste of rich plum. Nice smooth finish

Blended from Malaga Blanc and Colombard grapes. The colour is pale golden with green hue. The It has a estery, floral aroma, and is light , bright and delicate with clean citrus flavours and a refreshing acidity.

A rich plum fruity aroma. Has a taste of watermelon mixed with a hint of mango and kiwi.

Comments anyone ?

Hi!

Nice summary of local wines available here. But, I think you missed-out Klang Dong Valley wines! This wine, IMO, is a EXCELLENT wine, made locally in the Klang Dong Valley of NakornRatchasima. It has an exquisite tase, and at 12% alc. level , is a great and cheap alternative to the usual expensive imported foreign wines. The cost of 1 large bottle is approx. Bht. 120 ! :o

Cheers!

Hi OMR, I don't want to get into a protracted debate or argument about this, but I have read several articles through the years about this subject, and am pretty sure that the tax rates on local wines are stifling development of the market.

I just did a very quick "Google" and came up with the following:

First an extract of an article about Siam Winery:

.....But while exports keep rising, boosting domestic sales is not quite as easy, with a decades-old alcohol tax system hindering growth.

Thailand is one of the world's most expensive countries for wine, with taxes of 200 percent on locally-made wines -- and a staggering 360 percent on imported wine.

This no doubt helps keep a lid on domestic wine consumption of around one million litres a year, only five percent of which is locally-produced.

"Local consumption has not risen steeply because of high taxes," said Kim, who is also vice president of the Thai Wine Association.

So for the moment, Siam Winery is concentrating on improving the quality of its wine and building an international reputation.

And here's an extract from a FAQ on the Siam Winery website:

Q.Why is Thai Wine more expensive than imported wines? ... are paying the same excise tax rate of 176.5%, in addition to an interior tax of 21.2%. ..

I don't know how accurate the above quotes are, but it pretty much tallies with what I have read, and have been told through the years.

I am sure the point you have made about the high fixed costs are equally valid, but without a fair tax base, they are never going to be able sell high quantities in the local markets and thus reduce their prices - which the very influential folk from the Thai whisky and beer manufacturers know so well.

Edited by Mobi

Hi!

Nice summary of local wines available here. But, I think you missed-out Klang Dong Valley wines! This wine, IMO, is a EXCELLENT wine, made locally in the Klang Dong Valley of NakornRatchasima. It has an exquisite tase, and at 12% alc. level , is a great and cheap alternative to the usual expensive imported foreign wines. The cost of 1 large bottle is approx. Bht. 120 ! :o

Cheers!

I don't think anyone has mentioned Khao Yai wines. Same province of Nakhon Ratchasima, but I don't think the same vineyards as you are referring to.

I was once offered a bottle of Khao Yai red at a hotel just outside Khao Yai National Park. I was high sceptical but decided to give it a try. Again, I stress I'm no expert, but it tasted very palatble to me. I was so impressed, that I asked where I could buy some bottles - given that the wine was made nearby. I was told a number of local shops stocked it, but when went to look, we couldn't find any.

I have since looked for Khao Yai wine in Bangkok, without success. A pity because I think even at a high price it compares favourably with imported reds of a similar price.

Incidentally, I can understand that the climate in Khao Yai and Loei might be suitable for wine growing, but am mystified at the "Silverlake Vineyards" which are soon to come into production just outside Pattaya, on the way to Sattahip. I wouldn't have thought the climate in those parts would be at all suitable - but what do I know about wine growing?

Hi OMR, I don't want to get into a protracted debate or argument about this, but I have read several articles through the years about this subject, and am pretty sure that the tax rates on local wines are stifling development of the market.

I just did a very quick "Google" and came up with the following:

First an extract of an article about Siam Winery:

.....But while exports keep rising, boosting domestic sales is not quite as easy, with a decades-old alcohol tax system hindering growth.

Thailand is one of the world's most expensive countries for wine, with taxes of 200 percent on locally-made wines -- and a staggering 360 percent on imported wine.

This no doubt helps keep a lid on domestic wine consumption of around one million litres a year, only five percent of which is locally-produced.

"Local consumption has not risen steeply because of high taxes," said Kim, who is also vice president of the Thai Wine Association.

So for the moment, Siam Winery is concentrating on improving the quality of its wine and building an international reputation.

And here's an extract from a FAQ on the Siam Winery website:

Q.Why is Thai Wine more expensive than imported wines? ... are paying the same excise tax rate of 176.5%, in addition to an interior tax of 21.2%. ..

I don't know how accurate the above quotes are, but it pretty much tallies with what I have read, and have been told through the years.

I am sure the point you have made about the high fixed costs are equally valid, but without a fair tax base, they are never going to be able sell high quantities in the local markets and thus reduce their prices - which the very influential folk from the Thai whisky and beer manufacturers know so well.

I think we have pretty much said the same thing, more or less. Taxes impact imported wines greater than local wines (360% vis a vis 200%), and these extraordinarily high tax rates adversely affect the growth of this industry in Thailand. I am sure about the comment about lower production volumes and high fixed costs as it came directly from one of the owners.

Those in both the wine industry and hotel industry have been arguing with local authorities for years about lowering taxes on wines, but to no avail. There is no doubt local liquor producers have something to do with this. I always laugh when I am at a friends house and notice no tax stamps on their wines.

i don't have problem with local or cheap imported wines as most are fairly drinkable but the problem is that i cannot buy a bottle anytime of the day because of government restriction of i don't know what time. took a bottle last time in lotus pattaya only to return it to the shelves when the saleslady told me that it they are not allowed to sell alcohol in this time. :o

Incidentally, I can understand that the climate in Khao Yai and Loei might be suitable for wine growing, but am mystified at the "Silverlake Vineyards" which are soon to come into production just outside Pattaya, on the way to Sattahip. I wouldn't have thought the climate in those parts would be at all suitable - but what do I know about wine growing?

I wish I could enlighten you about Silverlake Vineyards. We went there during our last trip in April, but they didn't have any wine!

It looked as though the grapes had been recently harvested, as the vines had no fruit and looked "autumnal", so maybe they had sold all last year's stock, or it was the first harvest. They were selling red grapejuice, which was pretty insipid, and I couldn't imagine it making decent wine, but maybe it had been treated or watered down or something.

Being fairly near the coast and not in a swamp, the climate there is a little more airy and less humid, so it may succeed. I certainly hope so, as I plan to plant a vine in our garden just down the road in Banchang when we live there full-time. We're going out there for a break in a couple of weeks time, and if we stop by the vineyard again I will post any further info.

• 1 month later...

THAI WINES.

CHATEAU DE LOEI LABEL

WHITE WINES:

Chenin Blanc. White.

ROSE WINES.

Syrah, Rose.

SIAM WINERY.

REDS:

Medium-bodied.

Comments anyone ?

Comments anyone ?

Until the Thai red wine vines have been in the ground for over 8 years they will have problems with the quality of the fruit. Different story on the whites, I have actually had some pretty decent Thai chenins.

Price though, compared to imports, terrible. Why am I going to pay the same for a Thai shiraz as an Aussie shiraz? I'm not.

Wine Connection has outlets all over Thailand and when you walk in the door they have a promotions section with great deals. Right now they have an Aussie cab for 360 that is quite good. For everyday drinking they have an Ausiie 4L box, red and white for 980. I put a red and white box in the fridge, wine for a month, no problem.

Sorry if this sounds like an advert, but that's where I buy my wine, and actually, they don't carry Thai wine.......