Managing Director And No Work Permit

Sometime back Sun Belt Asia stated that the managing director of a company does not have to have a work permit. I looked for the posts for several hours and now am giving up on the search so I am starting a new thread.

So here is my question.

1) What exactly can a managing director do without a work permit ?

Can he only sit in an office at the company? Can he tell the workers what to do ? Will he be in trouble if he is on the computer in the office? Can he sign documents? All of these things have been listed on other threads as needing a work permit.

2) Can he draw a salary ?

Sometime back Sun Belt Asia stated that the managing director of a company does not have to have a work permit. I looked for the posts for several hours and now am giving up on the search so I am starting a new thread.

Of course he has to have a work permit if he is working in Thailand, even if he signs any paperwork in Thailand. In that post, it was stated the Md was OUTSIDE Thailand and we stated he does not have to have a work permit as long as he does not work or signs the company paperwork( audits,contracts etc) inside Thailand. He better be able to back that up, that his passport was stamped he was not in Thailand.

So here is my question.

1) What exactly can a managing director do without a work permit ?

Inside Thailand...nothing without a work permit.

Can he only sit in an office at the company? Can he tell the workers what to do ? Will he be in trouble if he is on the computer in the office? Can he sign documents? All of these things have been listed on other threads as needing a work permit.

He cannot sit at his desk. He cannot tell employees want to do inside Thailand without a wp. He will be in trouble if hes on the computer and in a office without a wp. He cannot sign docs inside Thailand unless he has a wp.

We always have strongly advocated for anyone that is working inside Thailand( if they are a MD or not a MD) to get a work permit

Outside Thailand... different story.

2) Can he draw a salary ?

If he works ouside Thailand, yes he can get funds sent to him.

If he works inside Thailand, even if he works for free. He needs a work permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I must have missed the part about the MD being outside the country. Can anyone direct me to that old thread?

I tried to find it but can't find it. We responded to over 100 posts on work permits so its like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm 100% positive what I wrote before because I'm the one that wrote it and I remember the post. :o

If you review many of our posts, we always state "we strongly advocate getting a work permit" Don't fight the system, just do it! It is not that complicated!

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

sorry,can i ask,for a MD with a work permit,must he pay tax if he is not getting a salary in bangkok but in overseas? what is the tax amount for his salary?,thanks

He has to pay a mininum tax on whatever his work permit salary was approved. For most MDs its a salary of 35K no matter the nationality unlike Immigration who has a set requirement for your nationality. ( Americans are required to have a 50K salary to get the extension of stay based on business.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

sorry,can i ask,for a MD with a work permit,must he pay tax if he is not getting a salary in bangkok but in overseas? what is the tax amount for his salary?,thanks

He has to pay a mininum tax on whatever his work permit salary was approved. For most MDs its a salary of 35K no matter the nationality unlike Immigration who has a set requirement for your nationality. ( Americans are required to have a 50K salary to get the extension of stay based on business.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

thanks,that means he must pay a tax even if he is not getting a salary? do he needs a lawyer to submit his tax or he can just do it on his own? also what is the mininum tax and what is the max. tax ?