English-language Dvd's

WaiWai

Did attempt a search, but no success. In any case, such venues are subject to change.

Have seen plenty of the more rubbishy DVD's at Night Bazaar, in supermarkets etc.

Currently, where can one find better quality :o English-language DVD's in Chiang Mai ?

Edited by WaiWai

Currently the ONLY retailer selling genuine, non copy DVDs that I have found is NEO Entertainment Centre, close to the California Wow gym in Airport Plaza 4th floor.

Bootleg and copy disks, some of which claim legitimacy, are available in many places including the shop in front of DK Book Centre and in Pantip Plaza ground floor.

One problem is price with genuine English speaking dvds being around 300bt. A copy goes for 80-100 and vcd even less. Choice is the other down side. I really miss British comedy while im here. Many rental shops have sound track movies but again, limited choice. Ive thought in the past that with the amount of English speaking expats in town, a second hand dvd and cd shop might be popular. Maybe an extra section in a second hand book shop? Im sure UG can point out the impracticalities :o

One problem is price with genuine English speaking dvds being around 300bt. A copy goes for 80-100 and vcd even less. Choice is the other down side. I really miss British comedy while im here. Many rental shops have sound track movies but again, limited choice. Ive thought in the past that with the amount of English speaking expats in town, a second hand dvd and cd shop might be popular. Maybe an extra section in a second hand book shop? Im sure UG can point out the impracticalities :o

I fear the genuine imported article tend to be from 500 Baht to 2K or so. Almost all at 300 Baht are copies.

The dilemma of wanting to buy legal English language DVDs in a country awash with copies.

Not much around.

The likes of Lotus Tesco stock a few. (Some B grade movies available there at 29 baht each)

B2S inside Robinson - Airport Plaza - has some - but hardly bargain prices.

Tsutaya Video stores sell their surplus DVDs second hand for prices starting from 99 baht.

Ive thought in the past that with the amount of English speaking expats in town, a second hand dvd and cd shop might be popular. Maybe an extra section in a second hand book shop? Im sure UG can point out the impracticalities :D

Very few people are interested in paying the price for real CDs and DVDs when there are so many dirt-cheap copies around and any farang selling fake copies would be in jail so fast that his head would spin. :o

i guess the fact that a dvd here would also have pasah thai is a bonus, but would add cost?Im in and out of Europe/UK and pick up 2nd hand dvds at car boot sales for a pittance....once we watched them i give them to fellow expats. Wouldnt mind getting a few baht for them once weve done with them... not bothered with recent movies,as you might as well by a copy, more tv comedy/drama. Would be nice to have a choice other than Mr Bean

Edited by BossHogg

• 3 weeks later...

Any DVD exchanges going on ?

Also, saw an advert in Citylife magazine for "DVD Film and Music" at 289 Suthep Rd. It claims to have a wide range : cult classics, Hollywood blockbusters, foreign language films, underground cinema and more. Is anyone familiar with this place ?

Currently the ONLY retailer selling genuine, non copy DVDs that I have found is NEO Entertainment Centre, close to the California Wow gym in Airport Plaza 4th floor.

Bootleg and copy disks, some of which claim legitimacy, are available in many places including the shop in front of DK Book Centre and in Pantip Plaza ground floor.

i beg to differ p1p. i have seen bootleg copies at Neo which look totally real. they are just made in china or HK stuff that they sell at premium prices.

edit: the combination of DIVX/MPEG4 players with torrents does wonders for me :o

Edited by tigerbeer