Suggesttion For Washing Machines

New007

just bought a new place and have to decide on a washing machine. i narrowed my choices to LG, Siemens and Electrolux. I'd like an 8kg frontloader. who has experience with the mentioned brand names? do they last long? what are brand typical problems? what's the service like? i want to spend between 25,000 to 30,000 baht. any comments appreciated.

just bought a new place and have to decide on a washing machine. i narrowed my choices to LG, Siemens and Electrolux. I'd like an 8kg frontloader. who has experience with the mentioned brand names? do they last long? what are brand typical problems? what's the service like? i want to spend between 25,000 to 30,000 baht. any comments appreciated.

Mines a top loader, side loader, bottom loader from Chom Thong. Cloth have never been so clean, this model surpasses any import, and this model iron the clothes for me.

I am interested in this because in the future I will buy a new machine. I am very hesitant to buy a front loading machine. Many years ago, we had one and periodically the seal would leak and it was difficult to get it serviced.

Anybody had any experience with this or other problems with them? I hate getting things repaired here in Thailand because it always ends up being such a hassle.

from Scott

from jayjayjayjay

Mines a top loader, side loader, bottom loader from Chom Thong. Cloth have never been so clean, this model surpasses any import, and this model iron the clothes for me.

Jayjayjayjay You didn't say how often yours had to be serviced or the cost? What type of problems do you have?

mine does the above but also cooks and vacuums and is a dishwasher :o

op keep in mind your buying a washer/dryer built into one and the dryer will only dry roughly half of the 8kgs at one time. Go for the sepearte washer dryer if you got the space. The outlay will be same for top end model

mine does the above but also cooks and vacuums and is a dishwasher :o

op keep in mind your buying a washer/dryer built into one and the dryer will only dry roughly half of the 8kgs at one time. Go for the sepearte washer dryer if you got the space. The outlay will be same for top end model

Just bought an Electrolux recently; no problems and this brand is reputed to have the best after sales support in Thailand.

Electrolux also does not talk back much :D

Hoover top loader, don't know the model offhand but takes at least 10kgs.

Had ours for about 9-10 yrs and only been fixed twice.

We use it on average 3 times a day every day so that is a lot of usage.

It looks ready to fall apart now and we will get exactly the same thing when it does , price at present approx 26,000Bt.

If your machine will sit outside somewhere around your house, try to avoid models with electronic commands, plastic covered touch type buttons/functions. Even though ours is protected from the sun, it seems that after a year and a half only UV rays or pollution has found a way to disintegrate the plastic covering the button pad which is now brittle. Soon I'll have to stick a piece of tape on there to write down what each button is for when the plastic has all gone.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Top loaders are crap. Don't be cheap, OP, and stick with the front loader. I have a Zanussi (Electrolux) and works well.

I disagree.

Also, with top loaders you can save on your water bill. We bath the baby then the older one in a plastic bath then pour the water into the washing machine for the next days wash. The soapy clean water can then be used to wash the car and the dog. Not only saving money but also doing our bit for the local farmers who need all the water they can get.

from Scott

from jayjayjayjay

Jayjayjayjay You didn't say how often yours had to be serviced or the cost? What type of problems do you have?

If u've Been There Done That u would know running costs can be pretty high. I figure on about 40 baht a day. Regular monthly oil changes of 3500 B. This new model has been relatively trouble free since May. The old model I traded was pretty reliable but in the end struck up a relationship with a unit down the street. I think there could be little machines in the "air". Hoping this one works out how to cook, that would make me real happy :-)

Isn't the only argument that front loaders have a heater so you get a warm wash if you want whereas top loaders are just fed from the tap and have no heat ?

Exactly! :o And top loaders can take much bigger loads than front loaders.

I can wash and dry two duvets on the same day - separate washes - using my Samsung 7.5 Kg top loader. And I've never seen a 7.5 or 8 Kg front loader - which is what the OP wants.

Top loaders are crap. Don't be cheap, OP, and stick with the front loader. I have a Zanussi (Electrolux) and works well.

I disagree.

Also, with top loaders you can save on your water bill. We bath the baby then the older one in a plastic bath then pour the water into the washing machine for the next days wash. The soapy clean water can then be used to wash the car and the dog. Not only saving money but also doing our bit for the local farmers who need all the water they can get.

Not so good if baby does the business in the tub though eh. :o

Regardless, top-loaders are known to be less-efficient, using more water and soap. Had one before the front loader and it wasn't as good good for proper cleaning. You also can't bung a telly on your top-loader if you have a bijou apartment... not that I have :D

We've got the Samsung 6.5kg front loading model (dunno what the actual model is) but we decided again the 8kg version because there is only two of us and we take our duvets to be dry cleaned.

But anyway the it's been pretty dam_n good for the past 6 months or so. It'll do a 40C wash in 47 minutes - completely computer controlled and dead simple to use. Even plays a little tune when it finished!

The only problem in Thailand and Laos is getting decent machine wasing powder . . . it's all handwash/machine . . . no dedicated Daz or Ariel et al.

Edit: Forgot to mention it's also very quiet also.

Edited by technocracy

I've had both - first bought a used front loader (Thomson) - had to fix the seal around the door as someone else pointed out, then bought a new top loader on sale for around 9,000. The front loaders have come down in price now to around 15k which is around a 40% drop - perhaps duties have changed - most frontloaders are made in China.

Interestingly, I've noticed you can now buy the big American top loaders for not much more than the smaller frontloaders..You should check that out since you're willing to spend up to 30k. By the way, you don't really need a dryer do you? Are you in a condo with no outside space at all? Bear in mind clothes dry in a couple of hours here! Dryers wreck you clothes - apparently frontloader washers are rough on them too.

Edited by thaigene2

Why do you want to spend so much?

I paid about 9,000 for my top-loading one 7 years ago and there has never been a problem. Toshiba.

In Japan, I have Toshiba top loader.

All you do is 1 thing - press 1 button : "Wash".

Rubbish front loader (Lux? Electrolux?) in the rented apartment in BKK is just rubbish.

Even asked the landlord to take it out - they said no, it's a package, some other things have to go out too.

Washers with heaters are the thing of the past. 20 years already powders can do well with cold water.

Like digital cameras wthout the film.

Had a front load Zanussi for about 15yrs. Replaced with Lux last year,model without hot water feature 14,000bht from Lotus. Would not think about top loader.

Why do you want to spend so much?

I paid about 9,000 for my top-loading one 7 years ago and there has never been a problem. Toshiba.

In Japan, I have Toshiba top loader.

All you do is 1 thing - press 1 button : "Wash".

Picked up a Hitachi top loader 5 years ago (7,000 baht). No trouble, and similar to the above user, turn one knob: "Wash timer."

There's something to be said for having a machine with less bells/whistles, less moving parts, less electronics.

KISS: "Keep it Simple, Stupid," is my motto.

Edited by toptuan

Got a 6000 baht LG top loader a couple of months ago, and it does the job okay. The spin cycle makes the clothes allmost dry, then a couple of hours drying in the sun and ready to iron and fold.

Clothes come out clean enough, even the our 7 year olds after a good day out and comes home covered head to toe in mud and everything else that little runt manages to smear himself in with during a a good days play ( god knows what he is up to)...

How long it will last I dont know, but it comes with a 5 year warranty on the motor, and is dead simple to use.

I've had a Thompson front loader for 7 years now. It cost B8,500. Only problem has been a broken door handle, if you can see water inside it wont open duh!

You can get big front loaders , just can't think where at the moment.

I do prefer machine dried clothes, they feel and smell better , though don't last as long.

For manual washers , the Burmese no.s take a lot of beating ( I really should rephrase that)

Cheers

Whatever you get, check the type of plug it has. I just checked mine and it's one of those dam.n Schuko plugs that Crossy has warned about here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1663979

I'm off to the local hardware store tomorrow to find some of the adaptors shown here: http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/plugs.html

Dryers wreck you clothes - apparently frontloader washers are rough on them too.

I think you'll find top-loaders are tougher on clothes as the paddles at the bottom twist the material on itself, while front-loaders wash under gravity.

20 years already powders can do well with cold water.

Washing bed clothes hot is the only sure-fire way for a proper clean to destroy nasties :o

NEW i will go for electrolux !

raison : i have a zanussi bought 9 years ago, they do not have this brand here anymore, Electrolux is in charge of the repair !

they done a exelent work for it.

I confirm on this quote

this brand is reputed to have the best after sales support in Thailand