Cost Of Buiding Materials

phutoie2

Hi all, in the process of house build and my local builder has arranged for all materials from his preferred supplier. ie:

Sand 1 ton = 4300 baht

Ballast 1 ton = 4000 baht

Bricks = 50 satang each

Cement = 112 baht per bag

Personally I think this is all reasonable, however my radar was tweaked this morning while on site when I heard builder speaking to delivery driver.

I live in south of Petchabun province.

Any comments appreciated

Billy B.

Your sand must be something special....I get a two cubic metre truck of coarse sand (for making concrete) delivered for about 800 baht per load....I don't know for sure what a load weighs but I'm guessing it is 3 tons or so which means it costs me 800/3=266 baht per ton...and you are paying 4300 baht per ton!!!!

If by ballast you mean crushed rock for concrete...I get a two cubic metre truck of crushed rock for concrete delivered and pay 1100 baht. I don't know for sure how much it weighs but I'm guessing is is about 3 tons or so which means it costs me 1100/3=366 baht per ton...and you are paying 4000 baht per ton!!!!

I just checked what the relatives paid for their materials on a house they built a few months ago.

(puang)Truck load of gravel 4,498 Baht

Cement TPI 110 Baht per bag

They didn’t record the price of the sand or the bricks although I seem to remember 50 satung being about right for the bricks.

I pay 1,000 baht for 2 cu meters of washed, crushed gravel, suitable for making concrete. 900 baht for a truckload of coarse sand, suitable for making concrete (I can't remeber if that's 2 or 3 cu meters). Fine sand for finishing walls is more expensive but I can't remeber by how much. The cement and brick price is just about right, certainly not over prevailing prices.

Here are a few more prices from a few months ago for comparison.

pillar 6x6 4M = 840.00 Baht

pillar 5x5 4M = 540.00 Baht

bore pipe = 812.00 Baht

Cement TPI = 110.00 Baht

Roof battens 2*1/2*2.5 M = 407.00 Baht

wood 3x1.1/2x2 M = 46.62 Baht

plank 1x8x3M = 212.22 Baht

plank 1x6x3M = 163.13 Baht

eaves = 35.00 Baht

Nails = 35.00 Baht

hook 5 inch = 58.00 Baht

hook 6 inch = 60.00 Baht

wood nails 3” bag = 146.00 Baht

wood nails 2” bag = 153.00 Baht

Turpentine = 81.00 Baht

Rust proof = 137.00 Baht

oil colour = 296.00 Baht

electrical wire = 93.00 Baht

steel rod 24 3 hoon = 91.00 Baht

steel rod 24 2 hoon = 44.00 Baht

wire (4KG) = 98.00 Baht

c section steel 4x3.2 = 430.00 Baht

c section steel 3x3.3 = 268.00 Baht

Roof sheets = 47.50 Baht

corner cover = 72.00 Baht

lower gable = 79.00 Baht

wood 4mm x60 cm x 2.4 m = 68.00 Baht

wood 15cm x3 cm x 8 mm = 63.00 Baht

Insulation foil = 2,268.00 Baht

Edited by Farma

Apologies everyone!, some duff gen there from my original post.. I wrote that post last night after my wife handed over latest invoice for delivery of materials. On sleeping on it, and then looking at my Thai/English dictionary this morning, the sand and stones/gravel is priced by the lorry load (ie 1x lot).

Cycled over to the plot this morning and on estimate I would say about 3 to 4 ton piles.

Later I will ask my builder (or maybe!) the price of the stuff by ton, however there is always this anguished look on his face when I ask about what everything costs etc.

Probably thinking another 'cheapskate charlie'. Its mildly amusing that the builders wife hands over all invoices to my wife and never to me.

Our builder is ok, with a good reputation, he has built several good quality houses for farangs and Thai's in this small town. There are many building supply merchants locally but he has his favourite supplier.

Recently I have been looking at roof tiles from various outlets, though we are many months away from that stage. I showed him a catologue and price and he laughed 'paeng I can get discount' was his reply. So will have to wait and see on that one.

I am on site everyday as I am now retired over here, and I like talking to all the builders and see how work is progressing and they are following my plans & design. Its all interesting and I think the best way for a house building project. There is another farang house in the next Soi and the British chap was never here for any part of the construction, just put all the money in his girlfriends bank account. Its a lovely house, and he only visits once a year. Due out at Christmas, so I look forward to meeting him.

Thanks Farma for your information, very useful

Billy B.

bore pipe = 812.00 Baht

Cement TPI = 110.00 Baht

eaves = 35.00 Baht

Nails = 35.00 Baht

hook 5 inch = 58.00 Baht

hook 6 inch = 60.00 Baht

wood nails 3" bag = 146.00 Baht

wood nails 2" bag = 153.00 Baht

Turpentine = 81.00 Baht

Rust proof = 137.00 Baht

oil colour = 296.00 Baht

wire (4KG) = 98.00 Baht

Roof sheets = 47.50 Baht

lower gable = 79.00 Baht

To help me Farma out which part of Thailand is this from.

Looking to build in Buriram here have good land full tiltle 2 rai and making plans any advise welcome

Handy to know what the 'lorry' load is...usually they wotk in cubic meters rather than ton...ie one truckload might be 8cm or such depending on size of truck.

Then it is easy to get the per cm price and compare with various loads as different suppliers use different size trucks.

• 3 weeks later...

A few more costings just to confuse you a little more. Pattaya, maybe a couple of months back.

CEMENT PIPE 10" 300.0 1 3MTR L

CHAINDRITE 472.0 ONE TIN

CINDER BLOCK 3.7 ONE EACH

CONCRETE FLOOR 368.0 5 MTR

CONWOOD 80.0 LENGTH

CORUGATED STEEL 87.5 1 SHEET

DOOR FRAMES 640.0 EACH

GRANITE STONE 6569.0 20 TONS

KYLEETA WOOD 20.0 LENGTH

NAILS 470.0 1 BOX

Q CON BLOCK 15.5 ONE BLOCK

Q CON GLUE 200.0 ONE BAG

ROOF STEEL 130.0 6 MTR

SAND 2800.0 TRUCK

SHAPED BLOCK 6.0 ONE EACH

STEEL 12 MM 195.0 10 MTR

STEEL 6 MM 52.0 10 MTR

STEEL 9MM 115.0 10 MTR

STEEL BINDING WIRE 125.0 1 ROLL

STEEL C3 395.0 6 MTR

STEEL C4 495.0 6 MTR

STEEL C5 585.0 6 MTR

CEMENT TIGER 115.0 1 BAG

CEMENT RAT 100.0 1 BAG

PLASTIC EDGE STRIP 27.0 2.5 MTR

C PACKROOF TILES 11.7 EACH

C PACK TILE SCREWS 270.0 BOX

WOOD for STEEL ENDS 789.0 LENGTH

Q CON CEMENT SCREED 85.0 BAG

C PACK ROOF BATTENS 130.0 EACH

C PACK BATTEN SCREWS 350.0 BOX

Rat cement just went up to 110 a bag

Q Con is also up to around 18 baht

Hi all, in the process of house build and my local builder has arranged for all materials from his preferred supplier. ie:

Sand 1 ton = 4300 baht

Ballast 1 ton = 4000 baht

Bricks = 50 satang each

Cement = 112 baht per bag

Personally I think this is all reasonable, however my radar was tweaked this morning while on site when I heard builder speaking to delivery driver.

I live in south of Petchabun province.

Any comments appreciated

Billy B.

Your sand is over price. The largest trucks you see around full of sand only charge 2800 I just paid a bill.

Small red bricks are charged by weight, not each.

Granite is now 9600 for 20 tons

The only correct price you have is the cement, that must be RAT.

Maybe things are more expensive up country :o

You need to take your plans into a builders merchant and get a written quote off it valid for xxdays. Then buy all the material yourself and pay the builder for labor only at around 4000 a meter.

Building merchants buy sand and granite from the quarry or pit. Go to the source, they will supply you direct at the same price as the builders merchant. Or talk to the guy that drives the truck I suspect he would be a free lance trucker and will deliver to you direct.

Edited by Rimmer

If you read my second post on the subject of building supplies I am now know more on my costings.

I am getting 10 ton of sand for 4300 baht and 10 ton of stones for 4000 baht. So you have cheap

sand but my ballast is cheaper!

Red bricks were 3 for one baht in 2001 but are now 2 for one baht in 2007, no mention of weight on my invoices.

Different grades of cement have been used and so far prices are, 95, 112, 118, 120 baht.

The truck driver is employed by the builders merchant, I have no intention of driving all the way down to Saraburi quarries to quibble over a few baht.

I paid 500 baht a lorry load of earth fill, in Prachin Buri its 800 baht per truck. There seems to be many regional differences.

Our builder is ok, with a good reputation, he has built several good quality houses for farangs and Thai's in this small town. There are many building supply merchants locally but he has his favourite supplier.

Recently I have been looking at roof tiles from various outlets, though we are many months away from that stage. I showed him a catologue and price and he laughed 'paeng I can get discount' was his reply. So will have to wait and see on that one.

Be very careful when letting your builder select building materials for you, especially crucial one like roof tiles. He might opt for the inferior material because he can get a heftier commission and you'll be stuck with an inferior roof.

Just my two satang.

Mike

We ware just about to try to figure out the cost of pouring a concrete floor.

Does any one here know what the square meter cost would be for say a 8-10cm thick floor.

I think I am looking at about 36 square meters overall. I am only concerned about material cost not labour.

I think the relatives paid just under 1700 Baht a cubic metre for premixed concrete delivered by cement truck. That didn't include labor costs for the work.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Farma

Anyone know what the price for galvanized or plastic coated galvanized chain link goes for per meter. we need enough to do 1 & 1/2 Rai. we found quotes of 100-120 baht per meter, does not matter if it is 1 meter 1 & 1/2 meters 2 meters same price no discount. Sounds fishy! I am in the Pattaya area but would get a truck to bkk to bring down. From what the sites in China say they are marking the price up by 300+% from what they are selling to the local suppliers. Anyone know how much & where to purchace . I have 2 more weeks before we install the materials?

Thanks guys

Beadog

The cost for Galvanized chain link fence is 120 baht a meter (all the same price) up to 2 meters high comes in 10 meter rolls 100 baht a meter for the real loose knit(worthless) Chain link. No discount if your Thai girl goes in to negotiate & you are not seen!Same Same.

The cost for Galvanized chain link fence is 120 baht a meter (all the same price) up to 2 meters high comes in 10 meter rolls 100 baht a meter for the real loose knit(worthless) Chain link. No discount if your Thai girl goes in to negotiate & you are not seen!Same Same.

Sounds like this is a per square metre price....yes?

Chownah

Sounds like this is a per square metre price....yes?

Chownah

That is the strange part I have been finding if I wanted 1 ft tall by 1 meter it is the same price as 1 meter long by 2 meters high or 1& 1/2 meters long. Only in Thailand, as in the U.S. the if it was 1x1meter(in feet of course) The price would be more for it being 1 meters 2 meters high. The toilet question I didn't have a clue till I found out it was the drain that need a trap not the toilet- but this seems basic math 1x1=1 costing one price & if it is 1x2 =2 it would be more.(probably twice as much or very close) I do not think I will ever understand Thai logic. But believe me I am trying. One thing for sure I am really glad to not have to be trying to be a contractor of any sort here Even if it was just being a purchaser for supplies would be to confusing!!!!!!

I am on site everyday as I am now retired over here, and I like talking to all the builders and see how work is progressing and they are following my plans & design. Its all interesting and I think the best way for a house building project. There is another farang house in the next Soi and the British chap was never here for any part of the construction, just put all the money in his girlfriends bank account. Its a lovely house, and he only visits once a year. Due out at Christmas, so I look forward to meeting him.

I'd be interested to hear also about the necessity of being on site everyday. The general consensus is that it's necessary, however if you're working full time like myself it isn't possible. I'm a plumber by trade, my father is a builder so I grow up around tradesman, most of whom were self employed.

I've never met one who liked owners watching them and asking questions while they worked. They all find it distracting and even dangerous. Regular visits and chats about the job were welcome, but being constantly watched and questioned wasn't. It gave them the feeling of distrust.

Considering that the general distrust of builders that exists here, I'm curious how the fell about all the monitoring while they work.

I built my own house by hiring between two and four local village workers at various times. In the beginning I was on site every day and doing work right along with my workers. My situation was perhaps different because I was working along with them but they didn't seem to mind me watching what they were doing.

1. Part of the time I was watching to see how they did certain things. We were building a traditional village house in (more or less) the traditional way with me making all the design decisions. Since I had never done this type of construction before (post and beam) and had never built in Thailand before it was natural for me to ask questions about how and what they were doing....this may have made it easier for me to watch them closely and I recommend that anyone doing the overseeing to try to establish this as your motive i.e. you are learning what and how they do it in Thailand.

2. When seeing something has been done wrong DO NOT JUST WALK UP TO THE DEFECTIVE WORK, POINT AT IT, AND SAY "MAI DEE". "Mai Dee" means "not good" and is what Thais use to mean "bad". To just walk up and pronouce this is insulting to them and causes alot of tension and general bad feelings. Do what ever you can to approach corrective action in a different way. Maybe start by saying that you have never seen it done that way before....this will mesh with your established motive as mentioned in #1 above that you are seeing how they do things. Then maybe discuss the advantages of doing it that way...or if you can't see any advantages then ask them what they are. Discuss alternatives such as the way you have seen it done before in other Thai homes or back in your own country or in books or on the internet.....keep the discussion light, friendly, and if possible an exchange of information between equals. Then work your way around to deciding that you want it a particular way and explain what that way is...be sure they understand as even though they will make gestures and say things to indicate that they understand they still might not. Maybe help them do some of it or at least monitor them closely acting as a helper while they institute the activity your way. Even if they start doing correctly you should probably monitor again after a couple of hours (maybe less depending on the complexity and how important it is for the task to be done right the first time etc.) and if the work must continue the next day its good to show up in the morning and be sure they get started doing it your way still. Your workers might think about the way you told them to do it and decide that they can improve on your method.....but they won't necessarily tell you they have "improved the method"...they may decide that you don't need as many nails using your method so simply leave some out thinking its ok and is actually good because it will save on nails and time.

Chownah

I fully agree with you on this one Chownah.

There are correct ways of politely supervising instead of the 10 ton blow to the head method. In the U.S. if some one was insistent at watching me do there auto body work I would show them the cute sign (at the bottom-teaching charges double)

But lets face it, In Thailand they do things a little different then where we all come from. And even though you are sure the contractor fully understands you, he might still do it his what cause he is used to doing it that way for 20 years. I find that offering a little gin kow & coca cola & food from our garden. Along with not being timid & bustin a sweat helping the crew dig or clean up or whatever I can do to make there job easier goes a long way.That way to you can somewhat participate & see iff any changes to your designs are being made & politely offer a different view without ever making your contractor feel inferior. I am very lucky to have stumbled into a very good & kindhearted contractor that builds(or overbuilds)with the right rebar cement & no cheating on the materials.He has been charging me the same price as I can find(if he is making another 10% congrads to him)

That & having a good Thai woman(slightly hotheaded at times) has proven to be the ticket.And not only that the people love working for a kind person. Now some of the local hardware stores me & my girl would rather talk to the Quais!!!!

I'd be interested to hear also about the necessity of being on site everyday. The general consensus is that it's necessary, however if you're working full time like myself it isn't possible. I'm a plumber by trade, my father is a builder so I grow up around tradesman, most of whom were self employed.

I've never met one who liked owners watching them and asking questions while they worked. They all find it distracting and even dangerous. Regular visits and chats about the job were welcome, but being constantly watched and questioned wasn't. It gave them the feeling of distrust.

Considering that the general distrust of builders that exists here, I'm curious how the fell about all the monitoring while they work.

You do not have to be on site for every hour of the day, just a few minutes will do and I would not dream of interfering in the methods of construction, however I have to supply and pay for a daily supply of ice and top up 25 litre water bottles for the small team of builders from time to time.. There is also the collection of invoices for the payment of materials. The local tessa baan architect drew up plans for my house from my own design and the builder and his wife spent several hours at my house discussing the whole project. You have to monitor the building otherwise you will end up with windows that should 'nt be there and doors that should!!.. Our builders are local people who we get on really well with, remember they are rice and pig farmers too. Rice cutting has just finished up here and work halted for a few days, oh and then the election and new year!, but all back on site tomorrow hopefully.

Last week met up with a Plymouth chap who has just bought 3 rai of farm land for his GF, picked a house from a catologue, apparently there is a choice of quality of building materials to be used - high, medium & cheap!! options. He has just spent his Christmas break here and had some 270 trucks of earth delivered and compacted, plus an excavator to dig out an Olympic size pond. The house on its own costs 1.8 million baht and he will send over 5 payments of 360k baht. He has to return to work in the UK and left everything in the hands of GF and family. I went over to see his land and told my wife what he was up to. No surprise - just the usual 'up to him'

• 11 years later...
On 11/23/2007 at 2:11 AM, Farma said:

bore pipe = 812.00 Baht

Cement TPI = 110.00 Baht

eaves = 35.00 Baht

Nails = 35.00 Baht

hook 5 inch = 58.00 Baht

hook 6 inch = 60.00 Baht

wood nails 3” bag = 146.00 Baht

wood nails 2” bag = 153.00 Baht

Turpentine = 81.00 Baht

Rust proof = 137.00 Baht

oil colour = 296.00 Baht

wire (4KG) = 98.00 Baht

Roof sheets = 47.50 Baht

lower gable = 79.00 Baht

Excellent !  but i would like to see it with todays prices (2019)

18 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Excellent !  but i would like to see it with todays prices (2019)

it's a LOT easier to check prices online nowadays compared to 10+ years ago ......

http://www.thaiwatsadu.com/index.html    Catalogues only, in Thai only naturally, no online ordering.

These have an online store :

https://www.dohome.co.th/                       Thai only

https://www.homepro.co.th/                     Thai and English

https://store.scg.com/                              thai only, use Chrome or whatever to translate

https://www.onestockhome.com/             Thai and English

https://www.globalhouse.co.th/                 thai only

I'm sure there are more if anybody wants to add them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1