English Chiang Mai Yellow Pages, Or The Like?

rrose070

Sounds like you are looking for a hard copy version. I haven't seen one yet but maybe another member will have info on it. In the meantime, this link maybe useful for others. Chiangmai Yellow Pages

The problem with the Yellow Pages in Thailand is that unlike most Western Countries where all businesses automatically get a listing in the Yellow Pages, here they have to pay to get a basic listing. Many businesses here don't even have a phone number using the ubiquitous mobile phone instead. The online Yellow Pages has a large number of categories but most of them are empty. Looking at the listing for "supermarkets" shows only two Rimping Stores. Stores selling Shoes only gets two listings, Musical Instruments gets none, yet I can think of 6 stores off the top of my head.

Gecko Books isn't even listed which is an indication of the value of the Yellow Pages. I don't know how much it costs but it doesn't seem to be worth it.

I suspect the printed version would be about 5 pages and half of them would be out of date, 'tis a pity.

CB

I suspect the printed version would be about 5 pages and half of them would be out of date, 'tis a pity.

I agree and like the OP, many times I wished I had a reliable source of information on stores/shops/etc. available to get addresses/phone numbers & locations. We do get the Thai version of white/yellow pages occasionally but unless one's Thai reading skills are good, can be a pain to wade through it.

Sounds like you are looking for a hard copy version. I haven't seen one yet but maybe another member will have info on it. In the meantime, this link maybe useful for others. Chiangmai Yellow Pages

The problem with the Yellow Pages in Thailand is that unlike most Western Countries where all businesses automatically get a listing in the Yellow Pages, here they have to pay to get a basic listing. Many businesses here don't even have a phone number using the ubiquitous mobile phone instead. The online Yellow Pages has a large number of categories but most of them are empty. Looking at the listing for "supermarkets" shows only two Rimping Stores. Stores selling Shoes only gets two listings, Musical Instruments gets none, yet I can think of 6 stores off the top of my head.

Gecko Books isn't even listed which is an indication of the value of the Yellow Pages. I don't know how much it costs but it doesn't seem to be worth it.

CB

When we first moved to Chiang Mai, there was a phone book of sorts that had been printed in 2000 called "Chiang Mai Business and Entertainment Info," 165 pages of exactly like a phone book. I still use it today, although there are many new names and numbers, and some of these older ones don't exist any longer. But we figure that if they were listed in the year 2000, and are still in business today, there must be some good reason for it, and usually are satisfied doing business with the companies we can find in this book.

It's a shame that there are soooooo d@mn many business listing companies competing today that you need to have 15 different booklets to locate on company. I suppose not many companies would want to list in all of them.

What would happen if there was a website where CM businesses could upload their info (address, phone product line etc.). Then an administrator could organize it by categories (sort of a wiki-pedia yellow-pages) and it could be used as a de-facto yellow pages?

What would happen if there was a website where CM businesses could upload their info (address, phone product line etc.). Then an administrator could organize it by categories (sort of a wiki-pedia yellow-pages) and it could be used as a de-facto yellow pages?

That's is exactly what David Leonard Arthur (AKA David Alexander) was promoting as his website, with the proceeds going to his charity. Unfortunately it was 'his' charity, rather than 'a' charity. After bilking several Chiang Mai business people out of hundreds of thousands of baht, he was finally deported on other charges.