Ubc

tuky

UBC  

214 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I added a poll, but please keep your advice coming.

Surely UBC has to be better than what I have at the moment, I mean I ony have one English speaking channel, so even if UBC repeats itself I will be better off right?

get yourself a decent internet connection and a torrent client and pick what you watch. you can be wll through 2 seasons of any series before star or true series even pick it up.

i have ubc to keep others in the house happy. i do not think it is worth one red cent for anything other than that

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Living in BKK and having come from Los Angeles, I think the programming content of UBC is pretty darned weak. But, considering what Tuky said he wanted to watch, I think UBC's Silver Package that totals about 800 baht per month would fit the bill.

While I'm not a big TV watcher, especially living here, the Silver Package that I picked for home does have Cinemax, MGM, Turner Classic Movies, True Movie Hits, The History Channel, National Geographic Adventure, E Entertainment, Bloomberg TV, and a bunch of other misc. stuff.

To add CNN and a few other Western channels basically doubles the cost to about 1,500 baht per month -- which I decided against, considering I can get all the news I need via the Internet (and here on TV (ThaiVisa!) :o . UBC's largest package, Platinum, runs about 2,100 per month (all these prices including the small equipment charges they add each month).

Frankly, and I didn't realize this at the beginning, the BEST part of having UBC cable for a non TV watcher such as myself is that their paid packages include access to about 20 commercial free/announcer freee western music channels -- no talking at all, just 24 hours a day of your choices in music. They call the service DMX Music, and they pretty much cover everything, jazz, pop, disco, oldies, classic rock, blues, 70s, 80s, Euro, etc etc... each with its own channel you can access thru the cable tuner.

Given the almost total absence of English language radio broadcasting, and not much better in terms of Western music offerings on radio here, I have the cable radio service on at home almost constantly when I'm in the house. And, I didn't even think about that when I signed up for cable TV. But, it's turned out to be the thing I use the most.

I have had a running battle with True Visions (formally UBC) for a couple of years now over their content package. They proudly claim that they paid BT500M for the monopoly in most urban markets here in Thailand. This gives True Visions a 40% market share and they want to make money as quickly as possible. Content seems like an alien concept to the executives I have had direct contact with. When asked about the repeat situation they patiently explain they want everyone in Thailand to able to see the programs. For sports programming they blame the vendors for the content and inability to get some events is due to contract negotiation blunders. When I told them that maybe they should take the Package Designators like PLAT: GOLD: KNOW: etc. off of the program names on the electronic guide so we can see the actual name of the program they told me to, “get used to it”. They did give me complete instructions on the operation of the "i" button at the top of the remote control.

When I suggested, in the calmest and kindest way, that maybe the Bt200M that went to the people running for office in the December 23rd election could be better spent for improved content for their customer base they actually ignored me. Since they offer Fox News on their “get some TV on your broadband connection” scheme, I politely asked if they could just put it on one of the 90 or so “FUTURE CHANNELS” I have ready to go on all of my set top boxes. I got a resounding no from everyone even after I told them that holding out something like “Fox News” as some sort of blackmail scheme was illegal in developed countries. I told them I would just forget about Fox News if they would put the channels which are advertised daily on TV here were added to my package. After all, every commercial says contact the local provider to get these channels (Fox Crime, FX, MTV, VH-1). No again.

The first words associated with True Visions are “joke”, “awful”, and “the worst”. Several people I know have said that even Cambodia has better television content than True Visions. Cable television companies in the United States faced the same criticism in the 1970’s and 1980’s for their poor service and program content. Many companies were out of touch with the consumer and as a result became an iconic running joke when one was describing appalling customer service. After a shakeup in the industry and laws preventing monopolies were enacted service providers in the United States are now rated high in service and content.

This is the same organization that has a 7-11 every 100 or so meters here in Bangkok and sells agricultural products all over the world. I believe they are virtually stealing money and are not concerned with customer service at all, only the corporate bottom line. When the monopoly finally ends only people stealing the signal will be watching True Visions.

What are you experiences?

Is it worth it?

I can't really say whether it's worth it or not because I get some kind of basic package free with my condo. I like the three movie channels (HBO is usually the best) because it saves me money on cinema tickets or DVDs. I like Hallmark because recently it has featured some good series like Law & Order, Without a Trace, Intelligence and Midsomer Murders. I like AXN because it has good series like all three CSI shows (maybe CSI Miami is a bit of a joke these days) and House. I like BBC and CNN so I can get some news while I'm having breakfast in the morning, and I like Discovery (some good "true crime and forensics shows), National Geographic and Animal Planet as fillers when I have nothing else to watch.

I am glad our landlord pays for basic Thai tv!

I would much rather listen to stereo with 40 gigs of music via Ipod anyday! no reruns for 25 days!

The price for platinum & hardly any American anything. Sophon stomped UBC. Wish I could get Sophon again . At least I could see some decent channels.

I had ubc for four years. don't waste your money. buy a dynasat satellite with an f=1 box, get the aguila ku satellite and it is just as good, or just as bad...Ubc sucks, but it dose provide most of the availiable content in this area, which isn't much. It certainly isn't worth the price. But if you like soccer then it is probably worth it, it is on 24/7

AT the moment the only english channel I can get is reality zone.

So...UBC yes or no???

Is it worth it?

I want to watch Discovery, some movies, history channel, I am not too worried about about anything else, I just want the above mentioned.

WHat do you think I should do?

(BTW I used to be able to get 10+ english channels with PTV, but slowly they have been repleced by gaming channels or similer and I am now left with Reality Zone only)

I have the Platinum package for UBC, and I have to say I am very disappointed and becoming more so weekly.

There are far too many repeats on ALL channels.

As a major sports fan, the service has deteriorated since True took over.

The information on programmes is forever wrong. Today as an example supposedly according to their website there was supposed to be an FA cup game starting at 2055hrs. WRONG, they decide to show a game kicking off 45 minutes earlier with no notice on their website/

I also loke American Football. When True took over the games shown went from 4 to 2. I complained and they said that a contract had already been signed and sorry can only show 2 games per week. Yet according to their website, this week they are showing 3?????

Its better than nothing, but I am looking at alternatives, one which appears to be JSAT TV. More expensive but a bigger choice

I could not agree more, UBC gets worse every month. Knowing what I know now, I would never order UBC – it is through pure inertia that I continue to pay for the platinum service every month, despite the fact that it is one of the poorest values for money around. Sooner or later I will get around to canceling it, probably when they do their next price hike or channel screw-up upgrade.

Barring rain I've never has any problems with UBC service etc, but I installed WE TV cable for the kids to get cartoons, plus it had Aussie TV. Then UBC went and added Disney, but there was an additional cost above Gold, so I just gave it away altogether. True about enormous amount of repeats. The cable TV has 3 outlets at no additional monthly charge, find it much better actually. Just add some torrents or DVDs and have a good selection. Plus the cable were promoting a Big Surprise, we got a free umbrella, UBC never gave us an umbrella. :o

If you like Football (it aint called soccer) then it is well worth it. Otherwise I would give it a miss.

Yeah, dam_n the English for calling it "soccer" in the first place!

Oh, and I'm happy enough with my UBC. Movies repeat but with 8 movie channels (Gold + HBO) there's something new on daily...and football of course (the American variety).

Edited by koheesti

I also loke American Football. When True took over the games shown went from 4 to 2. I complained and they said that a contract had already been signed and sorry can only show 2 games per week. Yet according to their website, this week they are showing 3?????

At the beginning of the season it was 2 games on Sunday. Lately it has been 4 games - three games from Sunday (Monday 01:00, 04:15, 08:15) and the Monday night game (Tue 08:30). It was the same with the Swedish satellite TV when I lived up in the Baltics. When mid-November rolled around they added more games. It probably does have something to do with contracts or other sports on at the time.

I cut my UBC two years ago. Waste of money & (apart from history & discovery chaneels) don't miss it at all. Now I spend the 1500B per month on 10 -15 movies per month that I never get to watch because someone always "borrows" them & I never see them again.

why then are you always complaining about true sports and the spanish football etc...

confused!!!

Is it worth it?

I can't really say whether it's worth it or not because I get some kind of basic package free with my condo. I like the three movie channels (HBO is usually the best) because it saves me money on cinema tickets or DVDs. I like Hallmark because recently it has featured some good series like Law & Order, Without a Trace, Intelligence and Midsomer Murders. I like AXN because it has good series like all three CSI shows (maybe CSI Miami is a bit of a joke these days) and House. I like BBC and CNN so I can get some news while I'm having breakfast in the morning, and I like Discovery (some good "true crime and forensics shows), National Geographic and Animal Planet as fillers when I have nothing else to watch.

You and I sound like we enjoy the same programming.

Many many people have stated how it is crap, but what is the alternative?

Is there a legal, viable alternative?

DOH! men! just cant make a decision can they :D

u want advice...just go ahead and get yourself a subscription to UBC. there..thats a definite advice..no ifs no maybes, no arguments, no pros no cons about it. JUST GET IT :D

yes get the UBC

now can we close this thread :D:o

Is there a legal, viable alternative?

There are people who sell "cracked" decoders (maybe UBC installers with a side-line?) but I've never bothered pursuing that.

Star World appears to be trying to stop people watching their channel on "dodgy" decoders by changing the encryption at the beginning of every single programme. Both the picture and sound glitch for a short time and sometimes you get the "E16 Service is currently scrambled" message flash up.

It always happens at exactly the same time on the hour or half hour. Maybe their new decoders can deal with this encryption change without glitching, but my one can't.

I have often wondered how many other people have noticed this bl00dy irritating break every hour. Obviously UBC/True couldn't give a toss that they screwing the signal when they do it.

I have UBC Plat+ 9 extra HBO/Discovery/Disney channels, Programming changes once a month same as in the US sat programming. Do we have any other choice? Not that I know of, It is expensive but life would hard to live here without it and my liver is happier for it. My vote UBC is a great life boat in the middle of Issan. UBC gold is enough for most. Only problem is heavy cloudy days in the rainy season can kill the signal but this passes.

Has anyone tried a SLingbox?

David

Yes, installed one at my parents house in the UK - and it works!

At home on a 1024k loxinfo it can stutter a bit, but in the office on a 2mb connection its great.

On the TV package option a Dreambox can provide lots of options - although you will need another dish - 6ft C band for Multichoice SA for example.

The equivalent of UBC in Taiwan is 500 baht a month.

I have no idea why it's such a rip off here.. the English channels are almost identical, Star sports, movies, HBO, discovery, cartoon etc

Is it a monopoly in Taiwan? :o

"So...UBC yes or no???"

If you can afford it, I think UBC/True is better than Sophon (Pattaya-Banglamung) Cable. Old movies with too much repetition as mentioned. But, Discovery, History Channel, National Geographic make it worthwhile.

Best if you have both on two separate TV's. That way you can keep the Mrs/GF on Thai TV in another room. Thai TV, which I refer to as "High School Drama Club" is the biggest waste of time in LOS IMO.

If you're watching FOX News, please keep in mind that this is an unreal spin on what's really happening. Stick to the internet for the real news.

It's basically UBC or nothing out here in the rice paddies although after 4 years paying annually (13 months for the price of 12) I have put them on notice and reverted to paying monthly with the view to pulling the pin at any time. 90% of the time its on sports channels and if TRUE starts reducing the quantity or quality again that will be the trigger.

I also have PSI bit it only gets used through the Australian AFL season and a bit of ABC News. Dish is probably welded in place through lack of use!

Depending on what u can afford , if that's no problemo, grt Platinum pkg., its not UBC anymore BTW, its TrueVision! :o

AT the moment the only english channel I can get is reality zone.

So...UBC yes or no???

Is it worth it?

I want to watch Discovery, some movies, history channel, I am not too worried about about anything else, I just want the above mentioned.

WHat do you think I should do?

(BTW I used to be able to get 10+ english channels with PTV, but slowly they have been repleced by gaming channels or similer and I am now left with Reality Zone only)

Until I think I can get an internet connection here that could handle a slingbox well (maybe end of 2008 if the new undersea cable works out OK), then UBC is the only game in town. Although it reminds me a lot more of Sky in the pre-digital days than anything you'd get in a developed country now.

I will admit, in my house, it tends to be on Disney more than anything else.

And even with UBC - I find I torrent some TV series as well, mainly to get stuff they don't show, but also to be reasonably up to date on some series they do show (like House).

Truevision (UBC) is about the only game in town,,,,so I play,,,,,,,,,,I have Banglamung cable here and if I was stuck with only that I would be drinking a lot and probably nursing a lot more hangovers,,,,,,,,so I am in better health and it is actually cheaper for me to pay True than spend alot in the bars,,,,,,,,,,,and my wife loves me to be at home where she can keep an eye on me.

The equivalent of UBC in Taiwan is 500 baht a month.

I have no idea why it's such a rip off here.. the English channels are almost identical, Star sports, movies, HBO, discovery, cartoon etc

Is it a monopoly in Taiwan? :o

Good point :D I asked my wife and she said although the channels are pretty much all the same, there are a lot of companies who will install it.

Is it impossible for anyone else to come along and take a cut of the profits here?