Disability/old Age In Thailand

seonai

Im interested in this site if you can give me the site details.

I work occassionaly/casual as a Carer Assistant of the disabled and took a person in a wheelchair there last year.

It wasnt easy but i managed to find Go Go bars without stairs etc and planned the 2 week trip beforehand.

Im interested in this site if you can give me the site details.

I work occassionaly/casual as a Carer Assistant of the disabled and took a person in a wheelchair there last year.

It wasnt easy but i managed to find Go Go bars without stairs etc and planned the 2 week trip beforehand.

You tried to find a wheel chair bound person employment at a go go bar?

You tried to find a wheel chair bound person employment at a go go bar?

I am sure the OP meant R & R (Recreation) in the entertainment establishment.

Seriously, I spent a few days in Bangkok before coming back to Australia last week and I caught the Skytrain quite a few times. Walking up and down the steps is a real chore as one gets older. Escalators or better still, a lift would make Skytrain more accessible to disabled people. Heaven only knows how a disabled person would cope.

The platform assistants don't seem to offer any assistance.

Peter

I live in Thailand and use both a wheelchair and Arm canes to get around, As I brokke my neck about 11 years ago. I have traveled most of Thailand and would be interested in Disabled access site. Count me in!

Let me know how I can help?????

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, sorry not to have got back to you - Christmas etc :o

Basically I need to discuss a few things with those of you who are interested but I need to need to talk to my moderation team first. Please keep the interest up and I'll post again very soon,

Seonai

I agree that Thai people in general have little sympathy for the disabled as compared to the west. Having been disabled for the past year due to a broken leg with complications, wheel chairs and walking sticks have been with me in public in Thailand for that year.

Most Thais pay little or no attention to your disability and how inconsiderate they can be in blocking your progress or causing you difficulty by their cutting in front of your path and nearly colliding as you progress. Westerners encountered in the past year are much more attentive to your plight.

Thais have told me that disabled Thais are more or less hidden by societal mores.

I doubt there is a disabled political lobby in Thailand as there are in so many western countries. Mae pen rai.

One thing I find particularly annoying as I get older is the strange habit of banks building their counters on the first floor and thereby making them inaccessible except by an unsupported stair climb.

Bangkok Bank head office in Silom is OK but all there branches are not.

DPI is an umbrella group for a wide range of disabilities... they do no grassroots activities themselves. I can sum my 6 years experience with NGOs in Thailand with a quote from the late California political boss Jesse Unruh:

"If you can't eat their food, drink their booze, screw their women, take their money and then vote against them, you've got no business being up here."

Right :o So I'll have to try another track then.

To all those interested - we have the blessing of the Mods/Admin team so lets come up with some ideas :D What to call it? How to present the info? Researchers for reviews of hoyels/pubs/eateries/nature spots etc etc etc?

HI Seonai,

Good Topic, but I would concentrate on information on certain information that is user friendly for the less mobile, a PC term on my account, I particularly despise the term disabled, but that is personal, like Hotels etc, as you have stated in your last post.

I think it will take a little while coming before you get anything like the DDA in Thailand as it has taken so long to even take root in the UK.

Certainly agree with the principle, I will contribute if I can.

Moss

Good idea Moss, let's call it Information for the less mobile - but then you see blind people will find fault with that because it's not just mobility... so what to do??? I have a few friends through work who are travelling to Thailand this year and they are blind or severely visually impaired. I mean I agree with you on principal but it's a bit like saying we can't call window blinds blinds incase we offend someone - a real case scenario at my work by overly PC councellers !!! I don't mind being called disabled but I understand others might so lets get a census. Agree?

looking forward to your contributions

'just to add something a little more positive, I assume you are talking now of a resource guide something like this:

http://www.e-bility.com/accesstravel/

or work on an expanded Thailand/SE Asia section for a place like this:

http://access-able.com/dbase/index.cfm or http://www.sath.org

My prior post was only a caution about trying to work with established, Thai-based NGOs especially those that receive Royal patronage.

Yes Jazz I am talking positive but the websites you mentioned are awful!!! Sorry. Dreadful. What we need is something that makes disabled people feel like they have choices and stuff just like other people. Not special places just for them :o

Well, dreadful or not, you have to start somewhere... before you start to do something no one has done before, you have to understand what in fact was done before... the first line of code is always the hardest. You will finally find out what really works but only by screwing up several false attempts... and figuring out just who it is you are trying to reach. There is no other way.

• 2 weeks later...

I now know why I was unaware that the websites I mentioned -- into which someone obviously has put a lot of hard work -- were dreadful and awful. I guess I am unable to envision a website that is properly uplifting because

"...People who have not experienced it cannot talk about it."

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very interested in this subject as I was crippled by a drunk driver in a 4x4 16 months ago and have major problems getting around and from the attitudes of many Thais. Tho' the local ones here on Koh Tao always give a smile and a thumbs up when they see me out on my crutches.

I myself am disabled and have found that BKK is very inaccessible. I have a wheelchair, but never bring it because there is nearly no access for them, not to mention that it would never fit into a taxi. For some reason I have found that whenever I go onto the Skytrain or the Metro line the handicapped elevator is always out of order. But usually someone on the train will let me sit if there are no seats when they see me hobbling around with my cane. And on the public buses the attendant collecting the fare will usually have one of the young people give me their seat. I haven't had a problem with Thais being helpful, just the lack of facilities for the disabled.

GunnyD

I haven't had a problem with Thais being helpful, just the lack of facilities for the disabled.

Absolutely. Thailand is pretty disabled unfriendly. But Thai people will generally help if the can and when you ask them. Although there have been occasions when I've felt that I'm paying out more for that little bit of extra help. Disabled or not , you're still rich farang in the eyes of many.

I could also talk of an example where the police have exercised a great amount of compassion over a constant driving misdemeanor. But that's all a bit specific, depending on whether they know you or not. :o

Two phrases that I learnt very quickly after becoming disabled were.

'Chooay pom duay' and 'Kor, chooay pom noi dai mai'

It's true Chutai, actually it is also partly our responsibility as disabled people to ASK for help when we need it. Usually most people in all countries are willing to assist but sometimes an able bodied person doesn't want to embarass a disabled person by offering help