Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

just a quck update as much has been covered on here by many.

just on my way back from vientiene, where to be fair it wasnt as good as previuos experience's ive had.

i really wanted to go on the new train that takes you over the mekong, could i get on? no-one at the udon airport kows anything about it, same with taxis and bus's tour guides and in udon thani!

didnt see it, on the way there or back, no-one seems to know about it in vientine either, maybe its still for the elite, dont know!

my last vist was deceber 2007, that's maybe 8 months ago, and has it changed, everything is guess a price, and too much, taxis tuk. tuks, youve really got to be good at, (forgot the word but basically) haggiling, with everyone.

got to the consulte on a monday morning when i know to stay away, but i have a plan b, was there for about 9/ 9.30 ish and was it busy, jes, i was with a mate id met on journey and he was queing, i tried to explain that he would be better with me paying an agent a small fee and let them take care of it while we sampled some beer laos, he decieded for que, and i went and saw my agent and he explained that since last year the price from 200/300ish bhat had gone up a little due to, too many people, gas going up, and my aunt flo's pension bieng stopped, to 5,500 bhat.

so anyway, im in the que with my mate, and it was 12.00 before we left!!

on the way out however, just outside the gates again was approached only this time he could get our visa back that afternoon for 4,000 bhat??

i didnt need it as i had booked an extra day in case there was problems, but mybe handy for futre info!

the next day on my return i left it until 2.30 to collect as i wanted to miss the hoards of people going and i did notice a sign of it bieng closed for 2 days, next week i think, it was sothing like thursday and friday for i think the queens/ queens daughters birthday???? i was gonna write it down but forgot, sorry!!

now i thought it said 18th and 19th but thats a mon/tue, so best check if ya off soon.

ok so thats it, everyone seemed to be getting what they wanted, as ref x2 no problems, one guy who told me he was going for "diplomat visa" didnt laugh when i explain if he shot everyone in the que we could walk to front, and he wouldnt get done, well he got his whatever it actully was refused, i laughed!

one more little thing, there were hords of black people getting some abuse for pushing in, now mybe this is the case, the police were called to stop one argument, but i think on the whole they maybe 20 of them, but they seemed to be taking it in turns to sit down go out etc, as we did, and we built up a bit of a laugh in the que so everyone took care of everyones bag etc, but the arguments were on, and for no other reason in my opinion, that the ques were too long, and reading on here there used to it, so it should be more geared up, the heat is very hot and they dont have any fans or water at hand or anything to try help, then when youve been throught all that you have to que inside an office to pay, and its not just a que they shout ya name out and if youre outside cos its too full inside they onto next one, joke really when you think mcdonalds are far more organised!

Anyways loved vientiene again, pity its trying very hard to rip ya off but thats the way the world is, but very glad to have ma visa and back in thailand.

chris

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for everyone's contributions on this great thread. I shall be doing this visa run soon. The last time I did it was over 10 years ago so I'm sure procedures have changed. I will keep my questions concise and to the point.

1. Normally a rot dtoo is available from Udon airport to the border. It costs 150 B per person. It 'meets' the Air Asia flight that comes in at 5:15 pm. However, does this run on a Saturday?

2. If transport from Udon airport to the border is unavailable, how do I cheaply get from Udon airport to Udon downtown?

3. Apart from photos, a completed application form, (an air ticket out of Thailand) and 1000 Baht, what else is required to obtain a single-entry tourist visa?

4. Where can I get a blank tourist visa application form that will be accepted by the Thai embassy in Vientiane? The food vendors? Online?

5. If time is not an issue, what time is best to turn up at the embassy to avoid ridiculous queues? I could happily spend a week in Vientiane.

6. Can anyone recommend a hotel/guesthouse for no more than 400 Baht? No air-con or frills required. Prefer to have own bathroom.

Thanks in advance for any useful info. I shall post a trip report as 'pay back' when the trip is completed.

Moderatorii

You might like to amend the title of this thread deleting the bit about December 2007 and perhaps adding 'latest updates' as it has become the de facto trip advisor for Vientiane visa runs.

Thanks for everyone's contributions on this great thread. I shall be doing this visa run soon. The last time I did it was over 10 years ago so I'm sure procedures have changed. I will keep my questions concise and to the point.

1. Normally a rot dtoo is available from Udon airport to the border. It costs 150 B per person. It 'meets' the Air Asia flight that comes in at 5:15 pm. However, does this run on a Saturday?

2. If transport from Udon airport to the border is unavailable, how do I cheaply get from Udon airport to Udon downtown?

3. Apart from photos, a completed application form, (an air ticket out of Thailand) and 1000 Baht, what else is required to obtain a single-entry tourist visa?

4. Where can I get a blank tourist visa application form that will be accepted by the Thai embassy in Vientiane? The food vendors? Online?

5. If time is not an issue, what time is best to turn up at the embassy to avoid ridiculous queues? I could happily spend a week in Vientiane.

6. Can anyone recommend a hotel/guesthouse for no more than 400 Baht? No air-con or frills required. Prefer to have own bathroom.

Thanks in advance for any useful info. I shall post a trip report as 'pay back' when the trip is completed.

"Normally a rot dtoo is available" No idea what one of them is,

you can get a mini bus, to any hotel in udon for peanuts, about 80 bhat or somthing, book in airport doorway!

"Apart from photos, a completed application form, (an air ticket out of Thailand) and 1000 Baht, what else is required to obtain a single-entry tourist visa?"

youll need photos for entry/visa into laos, then some more for thai embassy, 1000 bhat, i got a x2 tourist and it was 2000 bhat, take your bank book as proof of funds just in case (ive just come back and i was not asked) people on here have reported they have been asked.

blank forms are avilible at consulte, just ask someone when there, the food vendors have gone mad with prices so my advice at this moment is dont use them unless time is an issue (yours appers not to be).

"If time is not an issue, what time is best to turn up" i would say a tuesday/ wednesday morning best bet, i personally went monday as it was my last day, and i thought of the ques but was gonna use an agent but had a nervous breakdown when they showed me the fees menu!!!

tuesday, wednesday, for not as busy as monday (most buisness's etc) and if ther is a prob lem you can go back thursday and still get back friday so no need to stay over weekend, agin if time and money are issues!

"Can anyone recommend a hotel/guesthouse for no more than 400 Baht?" tuks tuks were offering a lot of dicount hotels, i seem to remember 500 bhat bieng mentioned, but you can ask them as i think they get commision so they should be helpfull, however a lot of new hotels springing up at side of river with this boom of visa runners, so maybe an hours walk may bring fruit.

"Thanks in advance for any useful info. I shall post a trip report as 'pay back' when the trip is completed"

tell you what, (dont take this the wrong way) a budget guide maybe very usefull, as many on here and friends, have problems with finances, or need to take care with finances at differenr times of monthes etc!

chris

...You might like to amend the title of this thread d...

Good idea. I have now changed the topic title

from “Vientiane Lao For Thai Visa Update, as of 13/december 2007”

to “Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa, continuing updates”

--

Maestro

Thanks for your help.

A rot dtoo is a minivan. Can anyone advise on rot dtoos from Udon Airport to the border on a Saturday. Do they run?

thanks for your pm, i went up to udon last sunday and there were mini bus's (rot dtoo?) going border and udon when my flight arrived, so would assume will be same on a saturday.

chris

Hi Briggsy, you dont need an air ticket out of Thailand. Been to Vientianne 4 times for TVs and never been asked for one. Have a good trip.

just a quck one if anyone"s planing to go up soon, i noticed a sign this week but forgot to make a note of it anyway looking on website 2 days coming up and im sure there wer 2 days togeather although below it dosent say so, but maybe keep away if poss, or allow for delays/big ques day after!

Official Holidays 2008 (2551)

August 12

Tuesday

H.M. the Queen’s Birthday

Thai

August 15

Friday

National Constitution Day

Lao

October 13

Monday

Substitute for Independence Day

Lao

October 23

Thursday

King Chulalongkorn Day

Thai

December 2

Tuesday

Lao National Day

Lao

December 5

Friday

H.M. the King’s Birthday

Thai

December 10

Wednesday

Constitution Day

Thai

December 31

Wednesday

New Year’s Eve

Thai

Office Hours : Monday to Friday 08.30 Hrs. - 12.00 Hrs. & 13.00 Hrs. - 16.30 Hrs.

Consular Section : Monday to Friday 08.30 Hrs. – 12.00 Hrs. : Application for Visa

13.00 Hrs. – 16.30 Hrs. : Distribution of Passports

Affixed with AppropriateVisa

taken from http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/about_officetime.html

chris

ps if anyones going up soon will you look what it says on the pay office door, and post it on here if ya get chance, cheers

Does anyone have anything to say about getting a non-immigrant O visa based on marriage in Laos?

sorry, you aint got a reply to this and i cant help you cos i dont know, you may be better posting this question in a new thread im sure someone out there will be able to answear this for you.

good luck

chris

brggsy, did you go, and did you get chance to see that sign on doorway to cash office, ref holidays closed?

chris

...You might like to amend the title of this thread d...

Good idea. I have now changed the topic title

from “Vientiane Lao For Thai Visa Update, as of 13/december 2007”

to “Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa, continuing updates”

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro! Excellent.

the next day on my return i left it until 2.30 to collect as i wanted to miss the hoards of people going and i did notice a sign of it bieng closed for 2 days, next week i think, it was sothing like thursday and friday for i think the queens/ queens daughters birthday???? i was gonna write it down but forgot, sorry!!

now i thought it said 18th and 19th but thats a mon/tue, so best check if ya off soon.

I checked the Consulate's website and they said they would be closed on the 12th Aug. for the Queens biethday is anyone else hearing anything different??

I'm planning on going this weekend and applying Monday 11th with hopes to pick up and leave on Wednesday 13th.. Should I be concerned??

Also, is it possible to recieve a non-b or non-o in Vientiene?? Is it difficult? I have a letter from my University and an organizational chart, will I need anything else?

If I get denied for the Non-b will they issue me a TV so I can work it out in Chiang Mai?? and will I have to reapply for that and wait pay again???

I have just returned from laos, after bieng unsure weather they would follow in pennangs footsteps by stamping "not to return" and am happy to say i appllied for and recieved a Tourist x 2 visa!

i did not meet anyone who was refussed or had any problems!

Now this is my first Tourist x 2 so ill presume ill get

arrived back yesterday and got 60 days

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then cambodia border 60 days (for double entry)

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then ill just do 2 x border runs keping1 left for plan b thats 60 days

so in theory thats 8 months sorted!

now if i have added this wrong please let me know, as i say it is my first double entry!

cheers chris :o

did u go solo? i am looking for some solo instructions from pattaya. i want to go in a week. thanks!

Here's a trip report from Vientiane.

For me, I was in no particular hurry and did not need a double-entry tourist visa. A single entry suited my circumstances fine.

Flew to Udon with Air Asia from Suvannaphum. Total cost of flight 848 Baht. I booked it in advance. The flight was half an hour late and arrived in Udon at 17:45.

At Udon airport, there are minibus 'queues' (in the Thai sense of the word). One of the queues serves Nong Khai, including the border. It's a fixed price of 200 Baht and the van goes when it gets 9 people. I waited less than 10 minutes.

At the bridge, there was no immigration queue, straight through. Paid my 20 Baht for the shuttle bus across. I was approached by a woman on the Thai side offering a minibus to the hotel of my choice in Vientiane for 200 Baht. I found another farang and we paid 100 Baht each. She was helpful and the minibus was a luxury one. Her name was Sukmila. Am I allowed to say that here? Well, never mind.

Arrived in Vientiane around 7:45. Most of the guesthouses were full. I had not booked ahead. Found a dorm for $6. On the following day, Sunday, I moved to a fan room for $12. All the guesthouses in that Wat Mixay area seem to charge the same prices, namely $12 for a fan room and $15 for an air-con room.

Recced the embassy on Sunday. The last time I had got a visa from Vientiane was 10 years ago and it had moved!. The embassy and the consular services department are now separate. The consular services department which issues visas is on 23 Singha (August) Road around 5 to 10 minutes' walk north of Patu Chai (Arc de Triomphe). I tried to get a visa application form off the guard on the Sunday but it was not possible.

I arrived at the office at 7:20 on the Monday. Despite the fact, I was 1 hour and 10 minutes early, I was still about 20th in the queue. Later, there were maybe 300 people in the queue. This is an estimate that could be wildly wrong either way. I was sold an application form for 20 Baht by one of the touts. I couldn't see them being handed out at all. He offered to fill it in for 50 Baht! It does state on the bottom of the form that it is not for sale. You could point this out to them.

It was very hot and unshaded outside. The gates opened at 8:30 and everyone piled in. There is glue on the table under the plastic awning if you need to glue your photos to the application form. I handed in my application at 9:00. I stupidly omitted to provide a photocopy of the details page of my passport. I legged outside and got it done for 40 Baht! Came back in and handed my application in at 9:10. No way was I going back to the back of the queue! Just for the idiots like me, you need your passport, 1000 Baht (for a single entry tourist visa), 2 photos, and a copy of the pages in the passport providing your details and your Laos visa.

I was not asked to provide evidence of funds for a tourist visa.

After handing in my application, I proceeded to the house to wait to pay. Finally, a bit of air-con. :o I waited there for 1 hour and was called to pay at 10:10. It resembled a game of passport bingo and people were called in a somewhat random order. The people further back in the queue had to wait outside. If they were bingoed, they had to rely on friends to call them in. A guard kept over 100 people waiting outside in the heat.

So, the total waiting time to hand in my application was 2 hours and 50 minutes. I shared a tuk-tuk back to my hotel near Wat Mixay. They asked for 120B. I and another guy paid 50 Baht each. Best to share and walk past the ones parked near the door.

I returned on Tuesday to pick up my visa. The pick-up time is specified at between 1:00 and 3:00. I turned up at 1:05. This was certainly the worst time to arrive. However, it was much quicker this time and I picked up my passport at 1:30. It was very hot again in the queue. So this time it was a total of 25 minutes to wait to pick up the passport. This time I had hired a bicycle for 40 Baht for a day so I cycled up to the visa office.

Many of the visa runners went straight to the bus station. There are 6 direct buses a day to both Nong Khai and Udon Thani. In addition there are 2 direct buses a day to Khon Kaen leaving at 8:15 am and 2:15 pm costing 180 Baht and taking 4 hours to arrive at Khon Kaen bus station. There are of course many many taxi services to the border.

I won't be doing that again unless it is necessary. It was too much hassle. I'll be getting my next visa from Hull through the post when I visit the UK later in the year.

Hope this is of use to some-one.

Here's a trip report from Vientiane.

For me, I was in no particular hurry and did not need a double-entry tourist visa. A single entry suited my circumstances fine.

Flew to Udon with Air Asia from Suvannaphum. Total cost of flight 848 Baht. I booked it in advance. The flight was half an hour late and arrived in Udon at 17:45.

At Udon airport, there are minibus 'queues' (in the Thai sense of the word). One of the queues serves Nong Khai, including the border. It's a fixed price of 200 Baht and the van goes when it gets 9 people. I waited less than 10 minutes.

At the bridge, there was no immigration queue, straight through. Paid my 20 Baht for the shuttle bus across. I was approached by a woman on the Thai side offering a minibus to the hotel of my choice in Vientiane for 200 Baht. I found another farang and we paid 100 Baht each. She was helpful and the minibus was a luxury one. Her name was Sukmila. Am I allowed to say that here? Well, never mind.

Arrived in Vientiane around 7:45. Most of the guesthouses were full. I had not booked ahead. Found a dorm for $6. On the following day, Sunday, I moved to a fan room for $12. All the guesthouses in that Wat Mixay area seem to charge the same prices, namely $12 for a fan room and $15 for an air-con room.

Recced the embassy on Sunday. The last time I had got a visa from Vientiane was 10 years ago and it had moved!. The embassy and the consular services department are now separate. The consular services department which issues visas is on 23 Singha (August) Road around 5 to 10 minutes' walk north of Patu Chai (Arc de Triomphe). I tried to get a visa application form off the guard on the Sunday but it was not possible.

I arrived at the office at 7:20 on the Monday. Despite the fact, I was 1 hour and 10 minutes early, I was still about 20th in the queue. Later, there were maybe 300 people in the queue. This is an estimate that could be wildly wrong either way. I was sold an application form for 20 Baht by one of the touts. I couldn't see them being handed out at all. He offered to fill it in for 50 Baht! It does state on the bottom of the form that it is not for sale. You could point this out to them.

It was very hot and unshaded outside. The gates opened at 8:30 and everyone piled in. There is glue on the table under the plastic awning if you need to glue your photos to the application form. I handed in my application at 9:00. I stupidly omitted to provide a photocopy of the details page of my passport. I legged outside and got it done for 40 Baht! Came back in and handed my application in at 9:10. No way was I going back to the back of the queue! Just for the idiots like me, you need your passport, 1000 Baht (for a single entry tourist visa), 2 photos, and a copy of the pages in the passport providing your details and your Laos visa.

I was not asked to provide evidence of funds for a tourist visa.

After handing in my application, I proceeded to the house to wait to pay. Finally, a bit of air-con. :o I waited there for 1 hour and was called to pay at 10:10. It resembled a game of passport bingo and people were called in a somewhat random order. The people further back in the queue had to wait outside. If they were bingoed, they had to rely on friends to call them in. A guard kept over 100 people waiting outside in the heat.

So, the total waiting time to hand in my application was 2 hours and 50 minutes. I shared a tuk-tuk back to my hotel near Wat Mixay. They asked for 120B. I and another guy paid 50 Baht each. Best to share and walk past the ones parked near the door.

I returned on Tuesday to pick up my visa. The pick-up time is specified at between 1:00 and 3:00. I turned up at 1:05. This was certainly the worst time to arrive. However, it was much quicker this time and I picked up my passport at 1:30. It was very hot again in the queue. So this time it was a total of 25 minutes to wait to pick up the passport. This time I had hired a bicycle for 40 Baht for a day so I cycled up to the visa office.

Many of the visa runners went straight to the bus station. There are 6 direct buses a day to both Nong Khai and Udon Thani. In addition there are 2 direct buses a day to Khon Kaen leaving at 8:15 am and 2:15 pm costing 180 Baht and taking 4 hours to arrive at Khon Kaen bus station. There are of course many many taxi services to the border.

I won't be doing that again unless it is necessary. It was too much hassle. I'll be getting my next visa from Hull through the post when I visit the UK later in the year.

Hope this is of use to some-one.

good report briggsy,

"I won't be doing that again unless it is necessary. It was too much hassle"

its unbelivible, that a money making buisness, makes it hard for you to spend money, ok for many there is no other choice, but still its got to be better than a 2 x 12 hour flights!

chris

• 1 month later...

As of 29SEP the consulate was still "visa friendly" and working.

Received a 2X TR with no issues/questions at all.

Monday, got to the embassy at 730AM and there were already about 50 people there (mostly Philipinas).

Lots of Queue jumpers and the sun were the only drawbacks.

Has anyone been to Vientiane recently for a B visa?

Are they hot on police checks?

I don't have one and can't find a way to get one from the UK (no online application / payment).

I was hoping to go to Vientiane in a couple of weeks, but if I need to get my police check papers, Im a bit screwed.

Do they bother asking for it there? or are they pretty easy going?

Any recent info much appreciated.

Does anyone have more precise information about a bus from Vientiane to Udon Thani?

I'll be flying out of Udon Thani at 17:40 after picking my visa up at 1pm.

I just want to explore this option compared to taking a van/tuktuk to the border and then another van to the Udon Thani airport.

Does anyone have more precise information about a bus from Vientiane to Udon Thani?

I just want to explore this option compared to taking a van/tuktuk to the border and then another van to the Udon Thani airport.

International bus Vientiane-Udon 15.30 and 16.30,no reservation(you must go there a little time before departure to buy the ticket).

The bus stops at the bus station,you need a tuk-tuk to the Airport.

Hope it helps.

PS:If you know Udon,can exit the bus before terminal,save some time.

Edited by abdulrahman

International bus Vientiane-Udon 15.30 and 16.30,no reservation(you must go there a little time before departure to buy the ticket).

The bus stops at the bus station,you need a tuk-tuk to the Airport.

Hope it helps.

PS:If you know Udon,can exit the bus before terminal,save some time.

Yes, thanks. I'll have to give it a miss because it leaves too late.

Should not be a problem going early. The 15th is fine but don't change your mind and go on the 13th its a holiday.

Thanks for that info. Im going to Vientiane on the 14th instead. Still trying to read this whole thread, Im not sure if I should fly directly to Vietiane or go to Udon Thani and then cross the border...

Should not be a problem going early. The 15th is fine but don't change your mind and go on the 13th its a holiday.

Thanks for that info. Im going to Vientiane on the 14th instead. Still trying to read this whole thread, Im not sure if I should fly directly to Vietiane or go to Udon Thani and then cross the border...

A lot of people fly to Udon because of the difference in airfares I believe.

Flight to Vientiane would be the easiest for sure.

Info about holiday came from website. I had been on there before and remembered a holday thiis month.

Have a good trip

Joe

Info about holiday came from website. I had been on there before and remembered a holday this month.

Have a good trip

Joe

I dont know how far Vientiane airport is from central Vientiane, so thank you for the reassurance as I have decided to take a Thai Air flight Bangkok to Vientiane on the 14th. Although after reading all 23 pages of this thread, no one has mentioned doing this...?

I hope I dont get denied for a tourist visa.

Info about holiday came from website. I had been on there before and remembered a holday this month.

Have a good trip

Joe

I dont know how far Vientiane airport is from central Vientiane, so thank you for the reassurance as I have decided to take a Thai Air flight Bangkok to Vientiane on the 14th. Although after reading all 23 pages of this thread, no one has mentioned doing this...?

I hope I dont get denied for a tourist visa.

Maybe because it's more than double price than Air asia + international departure tax + taxi from airport to city, so the result is a very expensive trip with an airline I wouldn't rely on.

My visa expires on the 26. October. If I go to Vientiane on 15. october will I run into problems because there will be 11 days to my visa expires or how does it work ? Appreciate your answer.

The expiration date of of your visa has no bearing on when you have to leave Thailand. It is the “unitl” date on your entry stamp that indicates the latest possible date when you must leave Thailand.

--

Maestro