Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

in SAVANNAKHET, LAOS has become restrictive regarding tourist visa issue and visa run companies have stopped going there.

Certainly true. However, reports from Penang and Savannakhet could give an indication how things may possibly develop in other places in the future, even though both are consulates, rather than embassies.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It makes no difference if the Consulate is stand-alone or physically a part of an Embassy. The Consulate section issues the visas and operates under MFA Consular directives. But as noted they have a limited ability to adjust regulations to suit the local conditions. Most Consulates do not check that you have the 10-20k money or flight ticket, others only check third country nationals, and a very limited number always check).

At this time Vientiane has not been checking.

in SAVANNAKHET, LAOS has become restrictive regarding tourist visa issue and visa run companies have stopped going there.

Certainly true. However, reports from Penang and Savannakhet could give an indication how things may possibly develop in other places in the future, even though both are consulates, rather than embassies.

Anything is possible, but there's no point scaring people with reports that are confusing and from a different consulate. Not everyone keeps a day by day check on what going on at different consulates.

Right now Vientiane is good, and for now that's all we need to know.

My aim is to keep this thread up to date with the latest info from Vientiane. What's happening in Savannakhet and Penang are seperate matters.

Edited by tropo

So it didn't matter that your passport was "clean", but rather that the consulate had its records of your previous visa applications. Did you have two or three TV's from Penang recently?

Nope, it was the first time ever I went to the Thai embassy in Penang.

The only other places I ever applied for a Thai visa were in Saigon and Antwerp (Belg.).

Probably had to place this in the Penang Post to keep this Vientiane one clean .... sorry .... :o

Anything is possible, but there's no point scaring people with reports that are confusing and from a different consulate. Not everyone keeps a day by day check on what going on at different consulates.

Right now Vientiane is good, and for now that's all we need to know.

My aim is to keep this thread up to date with the latest info from Vientiane. What's happening in Savannakhet and Penang are seperate matters.

Many thanks Tropo and others. Looks like Vientiane is fine. The visa company I called yesterday did not ask me where in Laos they just said they did not go anymore and that visa could not be given without money and flight. Now I know there are two locations and the issue is much clearer.

All I have to do now is find a space on the Wed train this week to get this done before Songkran!

Many thanks :o

AMH

"Now I know there are two locations"

http://map.longdo.com/?lat=17.8960546875&a...0&locale=en

"All I have to do now is find a space on the Wed train"

Dont know what your plans and times are, hand in passport thurs am collect friday pm, hand in friday not get back till monday, thats if no holidays etc

and as everyone says "treat ya self to a beer laos"

chris

Dont know what your plans and times are, hand in passport thurs am collect friday pm, hand in friday not get back till monday, thats if no holidays etc

chris

Many thanks. that was general plan for Thurs hand in and Friday collect (They are closed on Mon / Tues due to hols).

Anybody know if I can arrive Udon airport 7am that I can get to the embassy/consulate in Vientiane in time for hand in passport? Or this is too dicey time wise?

AMH

Am I correct in assuming that I can get my 1 entry tourest visa (from the US) stamped in Vientiane for another 30 days stay in Thailand. I'm going back to the US April 30. My current one entry 60 day indicates I have to go out by the 12th. I thinking I can just cross the border and maybe spend a few days exploring Laos before returning to Thailand.

Any one see a problem with this thinking? thanks.

It seems you have two choices. You can obtain a 30 day extension of stay inside Thailand for 1,900 baht or you can visit Laos and return for a 30 day visa exempt entry. You would not have to visit Vientiane (just enter any country and return) but if you want to travel it would seem a natural. But remember transportation upcountry is very tight this week due to everyone leaving for the holidays.

Am I correct in assuming that I can get my 1 entry tourest visa (from the US) stamped in Vientiane for another 30 days stay in Thailand. I'm going back to the US April 30. My current one entry 60 day indicates I have to go out by the 12th. I thinking I can just cross the border and maybe spend a few days exploring Laos before returning to Thailand.

Any one see a problem with this thinking? thanks.

Hi there

You just need to come back in on a Visa On Arrival which will give you an automatic 30 days and you'd have easily enough time before you leave for the US.

AMH

chris

Many thanks. that was general plan for Thurs hand in and Friday collect (They are closed on Mon / Tues due to hols).

Anybody know if I can arrive Udon airport 7am that I can get to the embassy/consulate in Vientiane in time for hand in passport? Or this is too dicey time wise?

AMH

"Anybody know if I can arrive Udon airport 7am that I can get to the embassy/consulate in Vientiane in time for hand in passport? Or this is too dicey time wise?

IF YOU LEFT AT 7AM

you prob wouldnt get out till say 7.30ish then taxi from memory about 30/40 mins say outside an hour!

8.30am thats you queing to leave thai im, then over bidge say 9am

maybe 10 before you get ya laos visa, so about 30/ 40 mins to consulte you prob should be ok, bearing in mind many are prob gonna do same for weekend and hoilidays so all them times can go up as can flight delays etc, and air asia (if using em) aint the best for time keeping!!

maybe go up afternoon before and stay hotel udon and get border for 7am to be safe!

chris

chris

AMH

"Anybody know if I can arrive Udon airport 7am that I can get to the embassy/consulate in Vientiane in time for hand in passport? Or this is too dicey time wise?

IF YOU LEFT AT 7AM

you prob wouldnt get out till say 7.30ish then taxi from memory about 30/40 mins say outside an hour!

8.30am thats you queing to leave thai im, then over bidge say 9am

maybe 10 before you get ya laos visa, so about 30/ 40 mins to consulte you prob should be ok, bearing in mind many are prob gonna do same for weekend and hoilidays so all them times can go up as can flight delays etc, and air asia (if using em) aint the best for time keeping!!

maybe go up afternoon before and stay hotel udon and get border for 7am to be safe!

chris

Hi Chris

Thanks again for the information. Yes, I decided to go the afternoon before to be safe and get there earlish in the morning after spending the night in Vientiane.

Now we hope they are not closed Friday, the day for passport pick-up! The Thai Embassy web site states no holidays this Friday for them in Laos.

I look forward now to hopefully a straighforward visa trip. Decided to fly as when I went to Hualumphong all trains were already full excpet 3rd class seats (12hr trip...). Alternatives such as long bus journeys in the middle of the night didn't look good. Flights were 4k return which isn't too bad seein as it is Songkran - admittedly needing to return on 14th as after that there is deluge of returning Thais to Bangkok.

So trip should be: BKK - UDON - NONG KHAI - VIENTIANE - NONG KHAI - UDON - BKK. Hand in application + passport on Thurs a.m. and pick up Friday afternoon. I will hope to get Laos visa on arrival, assuming I can cross the border easily in the evening. I will see if they will issue my Thai visa as 2x entry although 1x would do me I suppose.

Will keep posted.

Thanks again.

AMH

Edited by FrankFrink

Just returned from the Vientiane run last night. Now, I don't know whether it was because of the holiday but they would only give me a single entry on Tuesday, citing the reason that there were far too many applying now. As the Embassy gates were closed by about 10am, with 100+ people waiting in the queue this may be possible.

I did this same run about 10yrs ago; at that time everybody was going to Laos for a double entry because Penang was getting difficult and would only allow 3 stamps. It didn't take the consulate in Vientiane long to respond with 'no more farang, we don't want them coming here' and then that was that, no more double entries. Is history repeating itself I ask myself?

Hopefully I am wrong, but if you do go then don't get your expectations up too high, that's all I'm saying.

Just returned from the Vientiane run last night. Now, I don't know whether it was because of the holiday but they would only give me a single entry on Tuesday, citing the reason that there were far too many applying now. As the Embassy gates were closed by about 10am, with 100+ people waiting in the queue this may be possible.

I did this same run about 10yrs ago; at that time everybody was going to Laos for a double entry because Penang was getting difficult and would only allow 3 stamps. It didn't take the consulate in Vientiane long to respond with 'no more farang, we don't want them coming here' and then that was that, no more double entries. Is history repeating itself I ask myself?

Hopefully I am wrong, but if you do go then don't get your expectations up too high, that's all I'm saying.

laawman sorry to hear you didnt get yours mate, did you speak to anyone else on your travels in same boat or anything?

chris

laawman sorry to hear you didnt get yours mate, did you speak to anyone else on your travels in same boat or anything?

chris

Well I didn't see anyone to talk with but then I flew in (just to add insult to injury!) and saw many backpacker types but no-one I thought was a visa runner. Strange thing was - I got a brand new passport from Bkk for this trip, but despite having done the 3x30 day runs (in my old passport), was asked by Suvarnabhumi immigration whether I wanted to use the visa yet. I inadvertently said yes, but later thought maybe I could have refrained. I would have thought that they would have had a record on their mainframe about the previous runs? Perhaps the immigration in Patts forgot to record that bit of info across when I went in to transfer the stamp? Either way, I didn't think I would risk it! Don't want to be lumbered with 30 days overstay, could get a bit expensive!

I am still in Vientiane after coming here for a few days R & R combined with applying for yet another tv - and I am pleased to say I have walked away with a shiny new x2! I have had the dreaded red 'do not come here again' stamp from both Penang and Singapore and decided that Laos was my best bet after 5 previous tvs in my passport

Some hints for anyone coming here to do the same....

1. Try to get to the consulate early. It opens at 08:30 till 12:00, although when I went on tuesday just before 10 am, there were at least 100 people waiting in line and the guard closed the gates not allowing anyone else in. (please dont spit your dummy out and demand to the guard to see the consul like I saw some <deleted> do. It won't do you any favours in their eyes...)

2. Go to the consulate, not the embassy, as I did. I was met at the embassy by a confused looking young guard that spoke not a word of English. But he eventually produced a map showing the way. Coming away from the town with the monument at your back, there are 2 roads. Take the one to your right, called Rue Singha 23 if I remember right. Easy to remember! It should be no more than 30000 kip in a tuk tuk

3. Take some protection from the sun, like a hat or umbrella. Although I noticed today when I went to collect they had erected an awning over the area you need to queue up to give your application. It wasn't there yesterday and it was 38 degrees at 9am!

4. There was a guy outside the gate who told me that the form I had (downloaded from this thread) was not acceptable for some reason, and he had copies of the proper form. I now realise that he was probably spinning me a line to get me to buy his, but he filled in my form for me, stuck on my photos and than asked me for 6000 Baht to get me my double entry for me. I refused and he offered 3000 for a single entry. I paid him 50 baht for the form. but by this time the guard had shut the gates, so I decided to return the next day EARLY! Next day I turned up at 9am and there were still a good 100 or so people waiting, but the gates were open and I could queue. It took around 1 hr to get to the front were I was asked if I wanted a double entry, yes please, and to go inside to pay my 2000 Baht. Cross the courtyard and into another little room but thankfully air conditioned. Waited for around 30 mins for a woman behind a counter to call my name and hold up my passport, before going up to pay her and getting my receipt. NOTE: There are signs everywhere saying that the visas take 2 working days to process, but on the receipt stamped in red is the date you can collect it, and it was the next day.

Returned at 2pm the next day (can collect from 1-3pm) went up to the outside desk again and collected my passport with a new tourist visa in. I was expecting 2 stickers but got just one with a 2 under the 'no of entries' part. Job done! And i didn't get a 'do not return to Laos 'stamp either which was a bonus!

5. There are loads of great places to eat in Vientiane, and we haven't had a bad meal yet. Around the fountain there are the Scandinavian Bakery which is good for a big breakfast, also Joma across the road for good coffee and lunch grub. Pizza and salad was very nice. Also wifi available. Opposite Joma there's a very popular restaurant I can't remember the name of off hand, but you can't miss it. There are loads of tables and chairs outside. They do decent Thai food as well as Indian, Pizza and Laos. We had laab, an unbelievably spicy raw shrimp salad and the Lao beef with waterfall spicy sauce and sticky rice, all very good. Washed down with a few pitchers of beer lao, which works out a bit cheaper than buying bottles. If you come out of this place and turn left, then left again around the edge of the fountain you will come to a creperie that was fantastic. Traditional French food that was bursting with flavour, and complimented with French cider drunk from bowls. We found another French place called 'The Terrace' that did a great omelette and huge salads for lunch. I can't remember where it was though as we just went in for a beer on spec and ended up staying to eat. If you continue straight down that road about 500 meters you will come to an Indian fusion restaurant on the left, opposite the Lao Plaza hotel. It's on the first floor so don't be put off by the little grotty take away place on the ground floor. Superb Indian food - the butter chicken and korma were very good and the service too. Pricey though at 150 000 kip for 2 with drinks, it wasn't something we would do every night!

6. We are staying at the Aroon Residence which is beautiful, and cheap enough too. We decided to splash out and go for their 'executive suite A' which is ridiculously big. A roomy bathroom, king sized bed and sofa with 3 piece suite and TV it's a bit much for us under normal circumstances, but it was only $45 a night for the 2 of us. Be warned though that the breakfasts are crap, which is a shame as everything else about the place is so good

Ok thats enough from me, I hope some of this helps if you are planning to come here for a visa run.

All the best

irish p, glad ya got your x2 and a good read i might add!

lawman post above yours didnt get his, did you see anyone get a refusel or have problems or even a red stamp?

chris

ps did ya sample the beer laos?

Two important points to discuss as a result of yesterday's reports:

1. Have they started a daily quota system at the consulate?

IrishP indicated that they closed the gates at 10 am while people were still queued up outside. Previous reports indicate that the gates were closed at 11:30 am.

If you check back to post #229 it was discussed that 2 reports were made indicating that hardly any people were waiting at the consulate.

2. Have they changed their policy on issuing double-entry tourist visas?

Right now I'm thinking that Laawman maybe a troll - especially considering this remark he made:

Laawman said:

Quote: "I did this same run about 10yrs ago; at that time everybody was going to Laos for a double entry because Penang was getting difficult and would only allow 3 stamps. It didn't take the consulate in Vientiane long to respond with 'no more farang, we don't want them coming here' and then that was that, no more double entries."

Edited by tropo

Thanks for the vote of confidence tropo - do you want to see the visa stamp from my old passport? Anyone that's been doing visa runs since that time will tell you the same; fortunately they introduced the multiple re-entry visa the year after so most of us went that route instead.

I think I was out of luck that day, though strangely enough I was going to go to the consulate instead but it seems everyone on here went to the embassy, so that's where I went.

2. Go to the consulate, not the embassy, as I did. I was met at the embassy by a confused looking young guard that spoke not a word of English. But he eventually produced a map showing the way. Coming away from the town with the monument at your back, there are 2 roads. Take the one to your right, called Rue Singha 23 if I remember right. Easy to remember! It should be no more than 30000 kip in a tuk tuk

30,000kip! More like 10,000 or 15,000kip - you need to barter better!

5. There are loads of great places to eat in Vientiane, and we haven't had a bad meal yet. Around the fountain there are the Scandinavian Bakery which is good for a big breakfast, also Joma across the road for good coffee and lunch grub. Pizza and salad was very nice. Also wifi available. Opposite Joma there's a very popular restaurant I can't remember the name of off hand, but you can't miss it. There are loads of tables and chairs outside. They do decent Thai food as well as Indian, Pizza and Laos. We had laab, an unbelievably spicy raw shrimp salad and the Lao beef with waterfall spicy sauce and sticky rice, all very good. Washed down with a few pitchers of beer lao, which works out a bit cheaper than buying bottles. If you come out of this place and turn left, then left again around the edge of the fountain you will come to a creperie that was fantastic. Traditional French food that was bursting with flavour, and complimented with French cider drunk from bowls. We found another French place called 'The Terrace' that did a great omelette and huge salads for lunch. I can't remember where it was though as we just went in for a beer on spec and ended up staying to eat. If you continue straight down that road about 500 meters you will come to an Indian fusion restaurant on the left, opposite the Lao Plaza hotel. It's on the first floor so don't be put off by the little grotty take away place on the ground floor. Superb Indian food - the butter chicken and korma were very good and the service too. Pricey though at 150 000 kip for 2 with drinks, it wasn't something we would do every night!

Kop Chai Deu is the place you describe opposite Jomo - very much the standard tourist bar/restaurant - one tip the food and service is normally better during the day than night. The Indian Fusion place is pricey (in relation to other restaurants here that is) I agree - but the food is good. The meal you described is just over 500baht which won't get you much in Bangkok!

I am still in Vientiane after coming here for a few days R & R combined with applying for yet another tv - and I am pleased to say I have walked away with a shiny new x2! I have had the dreaded red 'do not come here again' stamp from both Penang and Singapore and decided that Laos was my best bet after 5 previous tvs in my passport

Some hints for anyone coming here to do the same....

1. Try to get to the consulate early. It opens at 08:30 till 12:00, although when I went on tuesday just before 10 am, there were at least 100 people waiting in line and the guard closed the gates not allowing anyone else in. (please dont spit your dummy out and demand to the guard to see the consul like I saw some <deleted> do. It won't do you any favours in their eyes...)

3. Take some protection from the sun, like a hat or umbrella. Although I noticed today when I went to collect they had erected an awning over the area you need to queue up to give your application. It wasn't there yesterday and it was 38 degrees at 9am!

4. There was a guy outside the gate who told me that the form I had (downloaded from this thread) was not acceptable for some reason, and he had copies of the proper form. I now realise that he was probably spinning me a line to get me to buy his, but he filled in my form for me, stuck on my photos and than asked me for 6000 Baht to get me my double entry for me. I refused and he offered 3000 for a single entry. I paid him 50 baht for the form. but by this time the guard had shut the gates, so I decided to return the next day EARLY! Next day I turned up at 9am and there were still a good 100 or so people waiting, but the gates were open and I could queue. It took around 1 hr to get to the front were I was asked if I wanted a double entry, yes please, and to go inside to pay my 2000 Baht. Cross the courtyard and into another little room but thankfully air conditioned. Waited for around 30 mins for a woman behind a counter to call my name and hold up my passport, before going up to pay her and getting my receipt. NOTE: There are signs everywhere saying that the visas take 2 working days to process, but on the receipt stamped in red is the date you can collect it, and it was the next day.

Returned at 2pm the next day (can collect from 1-3pm) went up to the outside desk again and collected my passport with a new tourist visa in. I was expecting 2 stickers but got just one with a 2 under the 'no of entries' part. Job done! And i didn't get a 'do not return to Laos 'stamp either which was a bonus!

6. We are staying at the Aroon Residence which is beautiful, and cheap enough too. We decided to splash out and go for their 'executive suite A' which is ridiculously big. A roomy bathroom, king sized bed and sofa with 3 piece suite and TV it's a bit much for us under normal circumstances, but it was only $45 a night for the 2 of us. Be warned though that the breakfasts are crap, which is a shame as everything else about the place is so good

Ok thats enough from me, I hope some of this helps if you are planning to come here for a visa run.

All the best

Very thoughtful and helpful description of what is going on in Vientianne and BIG thanks for it! Since I got my "dont come to Penang" stamp that's where I'll be heading next time which is in the very end of May.

I'm going for Non Immigrant B/visa with company papers and stuff to get my work permit then on Samui. Any comments on that by someone who has done it previously?

If there's other people going to Lao (Vientianne) direction at the very end of May for visa trip we could try to make very best of it and rent spacey and comfortable Toyota minivan and make the best out of the trip. From Samui to there and back should not be more than 3000 - 4000 B/person for the whole trip if we are 6.

Please reply me (with phone number) if the schedule (leaving Samui 31st and going to Vientianne consulate morning of June the 2nd on Monday) fits your schedule and lets do a road trip with one night in Bangkok! I assume this could be the most fun (safe without hurry) way to do the trip... If there's enough people (min.5) I will call around and organize a transport for the budget.

Edited by SamuiBond

Thanks for the vote of confidence tropo - do you want to see the visa stamp from my old passport? Anyone that's been doing visa runs since that time will tell you the same; fortunately they introduced the multiple re-entry visa the year after so most of us went that route instead.

I think I was out of luck that day, though strangely enough I was going to go to the consulate instead but it seems everyone on here went to the embassy, so that's where I went.

I'd like to see a scan of the single entry tourist visa you just got from Vientiane. That would boost my confidence that your story is bonafide.

I'd like to see a scan of the single entry tourist visa you just got from Vientiane. That would boost my confidence that your story is bonafide.

O ye of little faith...........

post-60598-1208064180_thumb.jpg

I shall still be going there again regardless.

Edited by Laawman

post-60598-1208064180_thumb.jpg

Thank you for posting the evidence. I didn't have a lot of faith simply because since about December last year Vientiane have been dishing out double-entry tourist visas to everyone (as can be witnessed on this thread). In actual fact I was hoping your story wasn't true.

Did you put "x2" next to the box asking what type of visa you require?

Thank you for posting the evidence. I didn't have a lot of faith simply because since about December last year Vientiane have been dishing out double-entry tourist visas to everyone (as can be witnessed on this thread). In actual fact I was hoping your story wasn't true.

Did you put "x2" next to the box asking what type of visa you require?

Yes, I put the x2 in the box as well. They also mentioned something about having a new passport, but I can't see what bearing this would have on it. If IrishP got his x2 entries at the consulate instead, then that is where I would head for - hopefully there would be less of a queue also.

Yes, I put the x2 in the box as well. They also mentioned something about having a new passport, but I can't see what bearing this would have on it. If IrishP got his x2 entries at the consulate instead, then that is where I would head for - hopefully there would be less of a queue also.

As far as I know there is only one place to get your visa.

Here are some photos: The building on the right is where you pay. The little building on the left is where you present your application.

post-34982-1208133909_thumb.jpgpost-34982-1208133925_thumb.jpg

These photos were taken in late January this year.

Could somebody please clarify exactly where to go to apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane? There is conflicting information on this thread. Some people are referring to the Embassy while others refer to the Consulate. Some are saying be sure to go to the Consulate while on the post above this one the photos clearly show "Consular Section, Royal Thai Embassy". Some are even saying that there are two locations.

I'm going early next week and want to be sure not to run into problems. Thanks in advance.

Edited by elektrified

Visas are issued at Consulates and they may or may not be co-located with the Embassy in Capital city. I have not visited Vientiane in 30 years but from reading here is appears the Embassy Consulate section is not in the same location as the Embassy itself. It would still be called the consulate section of the Royal Thai Embassy no matter where located in Vientiane.

I am suprised that the poster only got one entry. That certainly has'nt been the case in the three times I have been to Vientiane in the last six months or so (no, my math isn't wrong - I was there to do same only once in that time but was with others who were, and all, without exception, got theirs). The consulate, if coming from the morning market (Thalat Sao - use this as the starting point - many do, that do not know the city), go straight, as in away from the river, turn right just before the big monument, right again after a couple of k's at a big intersection, and you go up a small hill of sorts and the consulate is on the left, unmistakable by the Thai flag out front. Remember traffic is on the right (or wrong side for me) of the roads there. As I have siad on another thread, the Penang consulate is getting "easier' -that'[s the Japanese free press in Bangkok saying this. I may well try Penang in October if that is what I decide to do for my next visa.

================================================================================

=====

================================================================================

=====

The Aroon Residence is a great choice, although it seems they started to charge more for 2 person occupancy. Very nice rooms, good location, nice helpful staff.

=====

Could somebody please clarify exactly where to go to apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane?

=====

If you walk down from the monument, you can go either into a raod left or into a road right. It's the road on the right. Easy to recognize by the

Toyota's dealer huge sign.