Sushi Buffet In Chiang Mai Hotel

realthaideal

I looked thru the food thread for CM a little, but 36 pgs. is a little too large to scan. And the search function gave me no love, so.... has anybody been to any of the hotel sushi buffets ? I know there are a couple out there, but not really sure where, for how much, and how the quality is ?? Anybody been ?

I know of the one at the restaurant by Nang Nuan down on the river, but it's only ok, and I'd rather hit a daytime buffet lunch/ brunch deal. Also, I'm figuring a hotel may do a better job.

Hi,

I have tried the Japanese buffet at Central Doungtawan Hotel, and it is pretty good - but the sushi range is limited.

Hate to say it, but Nang Nuan is probably your best bet. And since sashimi is also on the buffet, they don't play that horrible game of giving you paper-thin slices of fish overloaded with great gobs of rice...

I like the teriyaki beef there too...

Bon appetit,

Mark

I have tried the Japanese buffet at Central Doungtawan Hotel, and it is pretty good - but the sushi range is limited.

I find the sushi in the hotel buffets to usually not be exactly right. They often use the wrong rice or no vinegar or the wrong vinegar. Also, lots of times the fish is too tough for sushi and doesn't melt in your mouth like the good stuff. :o

I looked thru the food thread for CM a little, but 36 pgs. is a little too large to scan. And the search function gave me no love, so.... has anybody been to any of the hotel sushi buffets ? I know there are a couple out there, but not really sure where, for how much, and how the quality is ?? Anybody been ?

I know of the one at the restaurant by Nang Nuan down on the river, but it's only ok, and I'd rather hit a daytime buffet lunch/ brunch deal. Also, I'm figuring a hotel may do a better job.

It really depends on what your after. Low prices or high quality.

you might try Hot Pot buffet place at KSK Central Shopping center. I think its about 200 baht and has a lot of sushi and other choices. The Japanese places like Akamon and Irasshai, Ichiban that really cater to the Japanese and do good sushi tend to be pricey but if its quality you are after then start there. Ichiban has a buffet for around 900 baht territory... Haven't tried it myself though.

Ironically the best places for sushi value and quality are Las Vegas and Reno Nevada USA... Yes I have been to Osaka and Ginza and the quality is superb but its also off the chart expensive also. Compared to Nevada then quality wise Thailand is kinda pricey. $30 USD in Thailand is equal to $18 in Sin City.

Hi,

Hate to say it, but Nang Nuan is probably your best bet. And since sashimi is also on the buffet, they don't play that horrible game of giving you paper-thin slices of fish overloaded with great gobs of rice...

I like the teriyaki beef there too...

Bon appetit,

Mark

Where exactly is Nang Nuan? I think it's down by the Riverside Condo but I couldn't find it the one time I tried looking. And how much is the buffet?

I've found the sushi on the buffet at the Buffet House (Huay Kaew Rd across from The Pub) to be as good as the sushi at any of the hotel buffets, which isn't saying much. They only have sushi at dinner and it's only 129 baht. I'd still rather have something better.

"Go down the old Lampun Road past the Holiday Inn and RIverside Condo and you will see a fork to the right (very roughly about 100 meters past the hotel). Take the fork to the right and you will find Nang Nuan on the right."

A bit of further details.... the fork in the road occurs right after/as you pass the Nong Hoy Market. It comes as a Y in the road, you've just driven up the base, and take the rt branch of the Y. It's also the same road as Le Coq D'Or if that helps anybody....it's just a few doors down. Also, the Jap place has a name but I always forget it though it's a pretty common name..something with 'Yama' in it ? As far as nang Nuan goes, it's actually Nag Nual in Thai, but you pronounce the last 'l' as an 'n' of course, so you say it quite differently than you spell it when googling it vs talking with Thais about where it is.

The food there is decent, even decent+ to pretty good. Not the best cuts of fish, but some of the best I've had in CM - again, not saying much. The buffet is like 300B /person for nighttime, cheaper for day. I do like all the options from the yaki grill, the noodles bar, the salad bar, the soups,...it's a menu with alot of individ options to create your own fun. The sushi palette is rather limited. The rice is never perfect in texture or seasoning, the fillings are usually pretty bland or repetitive eg cucumber in every roll, crab in every roll, and then they try making three similar rolls, varying them by the use of smelt eggs and that creamy sweet sauce. At times they approach Japanese sensibilities, but mostly not. However, you do get full, and of the 100 choices or so there, I always find plenty to satisfy. At the very least I get my soy n wasabi fix which is necessary every few weeks or so.

I hear alot of good things about Tsunami as far as quality, freshness, and price, and am going to check it this week.

they don't have a sushi buffet, but i find that the chain of 'Fuji' restaurants to consistently serve good Jap food at reasonable prices. good service, excellent management, tasty food, generous servings at affordable prices for Jap food in a nice setting.