Circulation Pump

ClaudeFeller

For the experts:

Swimming pool in a resort, 2-2,5 m deep, 750 m³, surface 320 m², south orientated, whole day in the sun.

How much water should the cicrculation pump discharge in one day?

- Half of the volume?

- The whole volume?

- Double volume?

I ask because I only know that the pump system has 5 kWh and is running 24 hrs - means about 15.000 THB energy costs per months...

And how much pool water should be replaced by fresh water daily?

- only the evaporation losses?

- 1 % of the volume?

- 5 % of the volume?

Thanks, I am a newbie in "swimming pools"!

Edited by ClaudeFeller

difficult questions (water replenishment) to answer because it's a "commercial" pool and no data how many people frequent it, how many liters of urine are discharged, how much sunblock oil/cream pollutes the water, etc.

a 5kW pump should (filter and piping resistance already discounted) recirculate at least 1,100 l/h, i.e. the rule of thumb (recirculate twice the volume per day) is met when pump runs continously.

For a domestic pool it is recommended that the 1.5-2 times the total volume of the pool is filtered daily. This is the minimum. For a commercial pool it is recommended that the pool filter is run when the pool is open to the public plus the extra 2 times volume. It is not advisable to cheap on pool filtration times as the chlorination system is tied in with this and a clean safe pool is an asset to a resort, a pool that makes you customers sick does not do much for the resort.

You have a large pool, the numbers are about correct to give adequate filtration. 24/7 is safer and cheaper than some other alternatives. If you are looking to reduce the power usage I would recommend looking at the air con units, make sure they are all properly cleaned, ensure the same for the refrigeration units. Make sure the cold air stays inside and you are not trying to air condition the planet. Also look at the type of lighting you use. These will result in greater savings than reducing the filter times on the pool.

If you are concerned about water loss, there are a number of factors that can determine this including, temperature, pool usage, splashout, leaking pipes and wind. any of these factors can change the amount of top up water needed. If the pool is in an enclosed area ie no wind, constant mild temperature, and a roof, with no users there will be little evaporation. If the pool is outside in a windy location with lots of kids jumping in and enjoying them selves there will be a lt of water loss. Only you will know the circumstances of your pool.

Edited by Chang_paarp

difficult questions (water replenishment) to answer because it's a "commercial" pool and no data how many people frequent it, how many liters of urine are discharged, how much sunblock oil/cream pollutes the water, etc.

a 5kW pump should (filter and piping resistance already discounted) recirculate at least 1,100 l/h, i.e. the rule of thumb (recirculate twice the volume per day) is met when pump runs continously.

Sorry, pool has 750 m³ volume, they need to pump 62,5 m³/hrs to recirculate twice of the volume per day. Maybe you mean 1,1 m³/min.?

Sorry, pool has 750 m³ volume, they need to pump 62,5 m³/hrs to recirculate twice of the volume per day. Maybe you mean 1,1 m³/min.?

Claude, when i'm in an english/international forum i am using a comma as a separator, i.e. 1,100 l = 1.1 m³ whereas in a forum with mostly continental european participants i would use a dot 1.100 l = 1,1 m³ sometimes i am getting confused myself :o

Edited by Naam