Excellent Speech By Hrh Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn

marquess

Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn is truly one of the more enlightened people in this country and perhaps in the world. I'm sure that if more citizens followed her example, the country would benefit greatly.

I was fortunate enough to take her kayaking many years ago. She understands the true value of preserving the environment and the problems that will become manifest if Nature is destroyed.

I hope more of her ideas are printed. Marquess, thanks for posting this and please post anything else you find from her.

Long Live HRH the Princess!!! :o

HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has published numerous books of her journal writings, many of them big sellers and very popular with the general public. They are all in the Thai language AFAIK. She is a well-traveled, highly educated, intelligent and interesting woman. I imagine her journals must be very interesting.

HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has published numerous books of her journal writings, many of them big sellers and very popular with the general public. They are all in the Thai language AFAIK. She is a well-traveled, highly educated, intelligent and interesting woman. I imagine her journals must be very interesting.

But the major things in Thailand that are so blatantly obviously wrong, dont need foreigners to enlighten Thais about, most notably the corrupt police/legal system, until this is on the road to being dealt with the country will never reach its potential.

Of course.

What's significant about all of this is that the main topics for the seminar are stuff that's normally not (allowed to be) discussed in Thailand in the open. (Including on this site, I gather)

from what i understand you are to a certain extent correct. however, it also seems that in certain circles, there was discussion of boycotting this event because of this issue, and the limits of constraint that is inherent on the speakers.

Yes I can understand that... Still, you almost cannot find a greater endorsement than having Her Royal Highness Princess Sirindhorn attend and open the event...! That makes it a HUGE victory for anyone who loves freedom and an open exchange of ideas.

As for constraints on speakers.. It can't possibly be more constrained that this forum right here cannit, and people here seem to be doing ok. :o

Yes I can understand that... Still, you almost cannot find a greater endorsement than having Her Royal Highness Princess Sirindhorn attend and open the event...! That makes it a HUGE victory for anyone who loves freedom and an open exchange of ideas.

As for constraints on speakers.. It can't possibly be more constrained that this forum right here cannit, and people here seem to be doing ok. :o

this forum has nothing to do with Academics discussing Thailand. this is a forum for laymen. i actually can perceive how some can be critically aware of who chairs or opens an event of this magnitude.

Of course.

What's significant about all of this is that the main topics for the seminar are stuff that's normally not (allowed to be) discussed in Thailand in the open. (Including on this site, I gather)

Yes indeed - Is this a watershed I wonder.

Kudos anyway for it to her and the people who let her do it.

I hope the papers from this conference are published publicly for us to access.

Of course.

Yes indeed - Is this a watershed I wonder.

Kudos anyway for it to her and the people who let her do it.

I hope the papers from this conference are published publicly for us to access.

"who let her do it". always beware of those offering their consent.

The question is, will Thai people ever learn.

With that I mean will they ever stop thinking yes this is how whe do this before and so we will always do like that.

Are they open to change their habbits.

But the major things in Thailand that are so blatantly obviously wrong, dont need foreigners to enlighten Thais about, most notably the corrupt police/legal system, until this is on the road to being dealt with the country will never reach its potential.

A Thai friend of mine told me that the police must purchase their own uniforms, guns, bullets and motorbikes. Hmm...

I read an excellent and very forward looking speech by the above welcoming foreign imput to help to improve things in Thailand. Here is the link, please keep it clean as I don't want the topic to disappear or get closed down, mods your help please! http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/10Jan2008_news04.php

I think the correct link is:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/100108_News/10Jan2008_news04.php

Cheers,

Bryan

A Thai friend of mine told me that the police must purchase their own uniforms, guns, bullets and motorbikes. Hmm...

That Thai friend is talking nonsense. That is untrue. It is just another one of those Thai Myths.

From the mouths of actual police friends of mine, i can promise you that Thai police DO NOT have to buy their guns - they are given them free. However, since they are of poor quality (usually second-hand) the police go and buy their own. The same goes for motorbikes.

Thai police are given 'uniform benefits' - approximately 1,000 baht a year. They are also given bullets - but only a few.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

I wouldn't expect any less from HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. It's a pity that Thailand only allows men as monarchs, IMHO.

The succession is not decided by gender, nor by sequence of birth, but by the choice of the reigning monarch - A frank discussion with Thais on the worries that raises is enlightening.

I wouldn't expect any less from HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. It's a pity that Thailand only allows men as monarchs, IMHO.

The succession is not decided by gender, nor by sequence of birth, but by the choice of the reigning monarch - A frank discussion with Thais on the worries that raises is enlightening.

Ah, ok; didn't know that. In that case, what I should have said is "It's a pity that Thailand only ever appoints men as monarchs". As for your second point, I quite agree. Nearly everyone I've spoken with here says the same thing, sooner or later.

Ah, ok; didn't know that. In that case, what I should have said is "It's a pity that Thailand only ever appoints men as monarchs". As for your second point, I quite agree. Nearly everyone I've spoken with here says the same thing, sooner or later.

from what i understand, under the circumstances of a non royal appointed heir, the privy council would not be restricted by the sex of their appointment. believe this was part of a new constitution.