Australian Aged Pension

On 12/10/2023 at 11:25 AM, 4MyEgo said:

This topic is about Australian Aged Pensioners.

Which would also include part pensioners. 

now should this happen then it's $120 a week pensioners will lose, now if they can't live on 45,000 baht a month in Thailand, then perhaps they didn't get it right in their lives,

I'm not throwing stones at people, you are. 

All I have ever pointed out is that non resident tax may be changing up with all of us, due to the proposed changes. 

You crunched the numbers for pensioners, but many others have their own individual circumstances, which I suggest may go over your $120 a week figure. 

we know what the impact will be, if the meteorite hits. i.e. $120 week

What about the part pensioners?

Didn't you say "this topic is about Australian Aged Pensioners?"  Are Part Pensioners also not Aged Pensioners?  Can you do the math for the "meteorite" for them?   :smile:

• Confused 1

On 12/10/2023 at 11:28 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Who cares, seriously, go back to beating your drums elsewhere, this topic is about Australian Aged Pensioners, move along or I will report you.

Report me for what?  You are contradicting yourself.

In one post you say Aged Pensioners could lose $120 per week due to the proposed changes, and then in this post say "this topic is about Aged Pensioners."  WTF?

• Confused 1

On 12/10/2023 at 11:38 AM, Lacessit said:

I don't care if you report anything I post.

And I don't care if you report anything I post.

What I know is, you haven't contributed any content for pages and pages, except for trolling, baiting, flaming, and personally attacking me, which, I couldn't care less about. 

The fact is you have made never-ending repetitive posts on exactly the same theme,

So, a senior member on here with over 28,000 posts, after months and months, and hundreds of posts from everyone about the topic, FINALLY understands there is no tax free threshold for non residents for tax purposes. 

No disrespect to that member, we are all getting older, but could it be some dementia, or he's just baiting. 

I post, yet again, the tax brackets for non residents, and you straight away bang on about repetitive posting.  Should I tell the member to search through the pages and pages for the previous post, or simply post the information again?  I chose to just post it again to help the member out, and couldn't care less what you think. 

Meanwhile, what assistance do you give the senior member - ZERO. 

The only posts you have made in the last 20 posts is personally attacking me, and I dare say reporting every post I make to the point the mods have probably had enough of you.  Get over yourself and start posting some content,not for my benefit, but for the benefit of others.  If you can't, why post at all.  You just make yourself look like a wannbe Mod.  It's funny.  

Just a while ago a member thought if he used his ATM card in Thailand, then his bank would think he was still a resident for tax purposes.  I posted otherwise to provide information, and all you post is yet another personal attack, and nothing for the member.  

Try to post some content.  It's not that difficult. 

I will continue to post whatever I want to say

And so will I.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

And I don't care if you report anything I post.

What I know is, you haven't contributed any content for pages and pages, except for trolling, baiting, flaming, and personally attacking me, which, I couldn't care less about. 

So, a senior member on here with over 28,000 posts, after months and months, and hundreds of posts from everyone about the topic, FINALLY understands there is no tax free threshold for non residents for tax purposes. 

No disrespect to that member, we are all getting older, but could it be some dementia, or he's just baiting. 

I post, yet again, the tax brackets for non residents, and you straight away bang on about repetitive posting.  Should I tell the member to search through the pages and pages for the previous post, or simply post the information again?  I chose to just post it again to help the member out, and couldn't care less what you think. 

Meanwhile, what assistance do you give the senior member - ZERO. 

The only posts you have made in the last 20 posts is personally attacking me, and I dare say reporting every post I make to the point the mods have probably had enough of you.  Get over yourself and start posting some content,not for my benefit, but for the benefit of others.  If you can't, why post at all.  You just make yourself look like a wannbe Mod.  It's funny.  

Just a while ago a member thought if he used his ATM card in Thailand, then his bank would think he was still a resident for tax purposes.  I posted otherwise to provide information, and all you post is yet another personal attack, and nothing for the member.  

Try to post some content.  It's not that difficult. 

And so will I.

I will post content when it is factual.

OTOH, you post speculation and pretend it is fact.

IIRC a leading exponent of publishing lies as fact - repeatedly - was Joseph Goebbels.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I will post content when it is factual.

OTOH, you post speculation and pretend it is fact.

IIRC a leading exponent of publishing lies as fact - repeatedly - was Joseph Goebbels.

Just more deflection from you.

The proposed changes to tax residency is FACT, as per the many many links provided.  Do you have any thoughts of your own about them?

I have never once said they have been legislated and are now in law.  I have only ever discussed their possible impact on Aussie expats, including those on a pension.  If you have taken that discussion to be "fact" than that's your problem. 

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Congratulations on your achievement of 501 posts, 500 of which have been unnecessary nonsense.

This once was an informative 15-year-old topic with interesting content.

Like-minded reasonable people could come here and respectively discuss, what I would say would be one the most existential matters of their present life, ie funding of their overseas retirement.

You have single-handedly brought that to an end.

The proposed changes are the single biggest issue to face Australian expat pensioners in decades. 

Considering we went from, "that's only for guys like Paul Hogan" and "I still have a Medicare Card so I am still a resident" to now the reality, it's been quite a journey. 

That said, just a few posts ago a senior and active member on this thread was still under the belief non resident tax brackets had a tax free threshold.  I posted the tax brackets again for him.  Should he not discuss this topic?  Who are you to say what can and can't be discussed on this thread?

It's members like yourself that have tried to stop the discussion about this serious issue facing Aussie expat pensioners, and your latest post is just more of the same. 

There's nothing stopping any member from making a post or asking a question in relation to the Australian aged pension.  The most recent case of this was some discussion about qualifying for portability.

Threads evolve.  Deal with it. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

He's having a bad trolling day.  :smile:

The best he's got now is posting that the proposed changes are a myth.  It's fake new.  I made it all up.  :cheesy:

Over 500 posts on the same topic is trolling.

Proposed changes are a myth until they are passed in legislation. Start crowing then about how wonderful you are.

As I have never said the proposed changes were fake news, you're a liar.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Proposed changes are a myth until they are passed in legislation.

I suppose the Stage 3 Tax Cuts are a myth also.  :cheesy:

The proposed changes are very real.  They are not a myth. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Over 500 posts on the same topic is trolling.

No, it's not.  It's a complex topic with much to be discussed. 

For every one of my posts, you have posted a personal attack, off topic, or troll post.  That's trolling. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You may be confusing me with someone who gives a sh!t about your opinions. Permit me to doubt there is more than one or two posters on this thread who do.

At least I post content for people to give a <deleted> about.  You post ZERO value to the thread.  It's like your username is set up to stalk me across the AN website.  You must be really bored in the village.  :cheesy:

The old safety in numbers school yard thing.  How's it going for you?  :smile:

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Sad 1

On 12/9/2023 at 5:47 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Tax File Numbers are like driving license numbers.  You get one, and it's yours for life.  

Most Aussie expats have lived and worked in Australia at some stage, thus, they have a TFN.  You could open a bank account and stuff all your money in that account, and not tell the bank your TFN, but all the bank does then is tax the interest at the highest marginal rate, which is something like $0.48 in the dollar, on every account where a TFN hasn't been supplied. 

So, how would you suggest an Australian lives, works, banks, and retires, without a TFN? 

100% correct.

FWIW; I do have an indefinite TFN exemption from the ATO.

Did you miss this part of the memo??

"Non-resident applicants or applicants who are residing overseas at the time of claim may be granted a TFN exemption and may be exempted indefinitely. An applicant and their partner who are overseas cannot generally have payments stopped for failure to provide TFN information. These applicants are normally paid by CIS. If an applicant returns, or indicates an intention to return, a review should be conducted to request TFN information."

As I have no intention to return who would instigate a review and how will they tax me without a TFN??

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

2. Blocking khunheineken was a good move.

You quoted "The Act" as stating aged pensioners did not have to pay tax on their pensions, despite being non residents.  My research show otherwise, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and requested you you link "The Act" and quote the relevant clause.  You didn't, and just blocked me.  Funny that.  :smile:

24 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

IMO they will find that extremely difficult to get through 'the system' and I for one will be seeking 'redress'.

Why will it be difficult to pass through parliament?  The previous Liberal government proposed the changes, and the current Labor government has said they are in their "in tray."  Who's going to block the legislation?

What redress are you going to seek, and from whom?

30 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

In the past I read up on the UN International Convention on Social Security payments, and IMO it would be a breach of those conditions to impose income taxes on the pension money that anyone is receiving - at home or abroad. 

Is that the same UN that can't even arrange a ceasefire in Gaza?  The UN is useless.  I can't believe taxpayers from all around the world still fund it.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Yeah rightio said:

100% correct.

FWIW; I do have an indefinite TFN exemption from the ATO.

Did you miss this part of the memo??

"Non-resident applicants or applicants who are residing overseas at the time of claim may be granted a TFN exemption and may be exempted indefinitely. An applicant and their partner who are overseas cannot generally have payments stopped for failure to provide TFN information. These applicants are normally paid by CIS. If an applicant returns, or indicates an intention to return, a review should be conducted to request TFN information."

As I have no intention to return who would instigate a review and how will they tax me without a TFN??

Are you an Australia citizen? 

If we took a survey of members on this thread, how many of them would have a TFN? Any that don't would be in the minority. 

On 12/8/2023 at 4:50 PM, Will27 said:

Incorrect.

If you're deemed to be a non-resident, there is no tax free threshold.

In other words, you're taxed from your first dollar.

OK, but does SEPTO provide benefits for OAP recipients ) living abroad / receiving their payments into their offshore bank account (4 weekly cycle)? (Where receiving OAP is the only income.)

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

At least I post content for people to give a <deleted> about.  You post ZERO value to the thread.  It's like your username is set up to stalk me across the AN website.  You must be really bored in the village.  :cheesy:

The old safety in numbers school yard thing.  How's it going for you?  :smile:

It seems to me I am the one being stalked. Still laughing at your own inane jokes, please show me where someone has joined you with an emoticon. IIRC you mostly get sads.

As for being bored, I suspect anyone in your company would be completely over you in about ten minutes, if your real-life persona is anything like your posting persona.

I can't recall you posting any content of use to anyone on other threads, let alone this one.

Here's an example of what I posted on another thread, to help a member who was doing their first retirement extension. It demonstrates you are wrong - again.

Retirement extension documents:

TM7 + 1 Passport photo. Obtain form from Immigration, use blue biro only.

Bank Letter.

Bank statement, 6 months duration.

Bank Book updated same day. Photocopy update as well.

Copies of all pages of bank book.

Copies of last extension + front page of passport, plus all stamped pages. Ensure hidden stamps are copied, and copy foldovers.

Reason for Extension: Retirement, Thai family, or both.

1900 baht

Keep 1900 baht receipt, needed when collecting passport if left there.

( Blue colour )

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Guys - I have learned two main things reading these posts.

1. The Aust Govt (feminists in public service) is looking into how/if they can tax the pensions of (those male bastard) Aussies who are living overseas (having a great time with much better women) and are no longer a tax resident;

2. Blocking khunheineken was a good move.

IMO they will find that extremely difficult to get through 'the system' and I for one will be seeking 'redress'. Certainly the pension is included as 'taxable income' - but that is so that anyone receiving any other income then they are over the tax-free threshold. They will not allow pensioners to earn $18K tax free, on top of their Pension payments.  Even though Pension payments are over $18K, they are not taxed.  In the past I read up on the UN International Convention on Social Security payments, and IMO it would be a breach of those conditions to impose income taxes on the pension money that anyone is receiving - at home or abroad. 

Thanks for sharing, and let's hope your last several lines are true.

Khunheiniken is blocked! Best news this year, WOW WOW WOW

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

please show me where someone has joined you with an emoticon. IIRC you mostly get sads.

Are you a teenager?  Do you only post for likes and thumbs up?   :cheesy:

As for being bored, I suspect anyone in your company would be completely over you in about ten minutes, if your real-life persona is anything like your posting persona.

Says someone who has received death threats on AN. I bet you are the life of the party, especially after 15 cans of Leo, in the village.  :smile:

Here's an example of what I posted on another thread, to help a member who was doing their first retirement extension. It demonstrates you are wrong - again.

You've posted ZERO on this thread. 

Best stick to the visa thread, if that's all you can offer. Funny how the same visa information has been posted, and posted, and posted, time and time again, and you have reposted the same info, yet you bang on about repetitive posting.  Too funny.  :smile:

Check out the Internet and Tech thread for my latest advice to a member. 

Once again, your post is totally off topic and is a personal attack and adds nothing to the thread.  (not reported) 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for sharing, and let's hope your last several lines are true.

Khunheiniken is blocked! Best news this year, WOW WOW WOW

You got found out.  Get over it. 

One post you're on a veteran's pension, the post you're on an aged pension. 

The best you can do is cry "khunheineken is blocked" in a vain attempt to deflect. 

I posted month ago there is no tax free threshold in the non resident tax brackets, and you only have just discovered this. 

What's that saying about how sharp tools in the shed are?  :cheesy:

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

OK, but does SEPTO provide benefits for OAP recipients ) living abroad / receiving their payments into their offshore bank account (4 weekly cycle)? (Where receiving OAP is the only income.)

Why do you still think getting your pension on a monthly basis, no matter which one you claim to be receiving, is going to circumvent being a non resident for tax purposes?

Jesus, man.  You don't live in Australia.  You are a non resident for tax purposes.  It's as simple as that. 

What is most likely to change in the future is the government is going to make it easier for themselves to collect the tax that you, and I, and others, should have been paying for decades. 

You are looking for things to give you hope.  Look at the legislation and deal with the outcome, and no, these laws are not just for guys like Paul Hogan.  :cheesy:

42 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Coming from someone with multiple "nom de plumes."   :cheesy:

Are you "scorecard" also?  :cheesy:

Getting it wrong yet again. I had a different one about 6 years ago, then changed to my current one. I don't have multiple ID's.

Look up "sequential" in the dictionary, unless words of three syllables are too much for you.

What's with the ( not reported ) ? Are you expecting a gold star for your forehead?

Your halo has slipped to your ankles, the post I am responding to is (a) off topic (b) trolling.

Edited by Lacessit