Crackdown On Smoking At Pubs, Enteratinment Venues

george

Smoking bans at pubs, entertainment venues from February

BANGKOK:-- Lighting up anywhere in airconditioned entertainment establishments and parts of outdoor public venues, including the Chatuchak Weekend Market, will be banned as of February 17.

"For the openair food courts or markets, smoking will be allowed only in designated corners," Dr Hatai Chitanondh, chairman of the Thailand Health Promotion Institute, said yesterday.

Offenders will be fined Bt2,000 for smokers and Bt20,000 for operators.

Puffing on cigarettes and the like is already prohibited in airconditioned restaurants but the Public Health Ministry's regulation to include airconditioned pubs, discos and bars will take effect 45 days after it is published in the Royal Gazette.

Hatai admitted that some owners of pubs and nighttime hangouts might resist, as they believe a smoking ban will hurt their trade.

"But our research has found that the businesses might suffer some impacts only in the beginning. After a while, pubs and entertainment places will not only get their old customers back but will also attract new nonsmoking patrons," he said.

The nosmoking rule will also be good for the health of customers and staff, he said, adding, "Music performances will be better because musical instruments won't be exposed to the smoke."

--The Nation 2008-01-11

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Music performances will be better because musical instruments won't be exposed to the smoke."

--The Nation 2008-01-11

Hahahahaha......... :D

cancer of the trombone.....thats a new one....... :o

Isn't that next to the 'funny bone' ? My anatomy's not too good. :D

At the risk of being labelled a kill-joy, a British entertainer Roy Castle, who died of lung cancer, attributed his illness to years of playing the trumpet in smoky jazz clubs, he was himself a non-smoker.

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

Puffing on cigarettes and the like is already prohibited in airconditioned restaurants but the Public Health Ministry's regulation

Why is smoking allowed at so many Japanese restaurants patronized mostly by Japanese customers?

"Music performances will be better because musical instruments won't be exposed to the smoke."

That's just a fiendish lie put out by the Society for the prevention of passive smoking by musical instruments :o

Where's a yawn smiley face thingy when you need one. :o

This is just another law that won't be enforced or that will be enforced from time to time in certain areas.

I think you are wrong on this occasion and you might be in for a surprise in the coming months. Don't expect everywhere to comply with the law, but I think the majority of venues will.

This is just another law that won't be enforced or that will be enforced from time to time in certain areas.

I think you are wrong on this occasion and you might be in for a surprise in the coming months. Don't expect everywhere to comply with the law, but I think the majority of venues will.

Yes, probably in Bangkok, Pattaya and other major tourist spots. A few will get special 'dispensation' by making the customary contribution to the Police benevolent fund.

But out there in real THAIland, it'll be business and smoking as usual. Just as it is with the opening hours to buy and drink booze and just about every other law in this anarchic land.

Been enforced over 'ere in Pubs,restaurants and most public places in old Blighty for over 6 Months now and I for one Loooovvvveeee It.. :D

You go into a Boozer and NO ASHTRAYs....all GORN.....yes.............

still a bit of a pong from the addicts as they sheepishly sidle back into the place from some smelly rat hole that been designated a cancer inducing gut retching hovel round the back ...somewhere.....

but Generally it a BIG SUCCESS..... :D

From Apocy Now it was the Horror... the horror....now ....The SMELL ...The SMELL..............bai hae pon (pong)...go for it LOS...... :D:o

But out there in real THAIland, it'll be business and smoking as usual. Just as it is with the opening hours to buy and drink booze and just about every other law in this anarchic land.

Quite so Mobi. And they flick the middle digit (swivel on that) to whoever passes new laws in Thailand wanting PC correctness.

Are you surprised some people love living in Issan? :o

Edited by yorkman

Not in my house, I get a shower and change into fresh bed clothes. But hey, different lifestyle :D

yeah, right! you have superior life-style, no doubt ! :D

and so smart you are too, huh? able to crack such a hilarious jokes. :o

sure, dude - only you alone take shower and change clothes !

others (everyone else) are low-class buffoons who wear same clothes all the time

and don't even know <deleted> shower is at all !

one humble comment though:

cigarette's stink stays on the clothes even AFTER one changes them for fresh.

and that's what I actually said last time: stink stays on clothes. :D

it always puzzles me: why those who like smoking always take it personal when actually NOT their person is criticized but rather some impersonal objects such as smoke, odor etc ?

and then they get personal on one who dares to say anything "anti-" that beloved pastime.

however the truth is: smokers DO practically force non-smokers to "smoke" along with them inhaling those fumes; while non-smokers DO NOT force smokers to NOT smoke. so there is a big difference ! but if non-smokers object at such true fact and refuse to inhale those fumes - somehow it is smokers who get very upset as if discriminated or treated unfairly !

if one wants to smoke - fine! that's his choice, let him do it.

but it doesn't mean he has the right to FORCE others to do it, even if they don't like it.

I think that's what it is all about. it is NOT as if all this laws ban smoking entirely and unconditionally - anyway it will never be done because it brings HUGE revenues for industries producing cigarettes. it is just about respecting the choice of ALL concerned sides - both those who likes and dislikes smoking - and giving them equal rights and facilities for doing what they prefer.

and it's good to know that gradually this common sense prevails. although it still needs a lot of time to implement and enforce.

With clean air in the various establishments, we customers will now be able to smell what perfume the girls are wearing.

Have you ever been in a non-smoking pub? It stinks of rancid body odour, farts, piss and puke that the smoke used to mask. They are trying to get rid of this foul smell in the UK as it is worse than the smoke.

one humble comment though:

cigarette's stink stays on the clothes even AFTER one changes them for fresh.

May I suggest you think about changing your washing powder/liquid if as you say, your clothes still "stink".

:o You have to use washing powder????? NOW you tell me!

Yes, now they will be able to threaten certain bar's with a closure period much more easily with this.

Personally I hate smoking with a passion.

Why is smoking allowed at so many Japanese restaurants patronized mostly by Japanese customers?

Probably the same reason that Japan Airlines was the last major airline to ban smoking on its planes. I understand smoking in Japan is still viewed as a status symbol.

Peter

How many laws can you think of that have been enacted, not enforced and then someone comes along and says, from xx/xx we are going to actively enforce this law? There must be hundreds - off the top of my head:

1) motor cycle taxi's no longer allowed to park and wait on sidewalks;

2) Closing time of entertainment venue's across the country;

3) National speed limit

4) er, driving on the left!

There will be a flash in the pan (re)enforcement period and then the law will be relegated to the category, things for the BIB to do when they need some spending money.

Edited by chiang mai