Songtaew/tuk Tuk Prices?

kharmabum

would appreciate if someone could fill me in on what i should expect to pay for the follwing rides... last time i came to changmai the prices increased as compared to the previous time...

red sontaew-tae pae gate to central?

-central to doi suthep?

tuk tuk-central to night bizaare?

-tae pae gate to air port shopping plaza?

-tae pae gate to carfour?

thanks in advance...

Edited by kharmabum

would appreciate if someone could fill me in on what i should expect to pay for the follwing rides... last time i came to changmai the prices increased as compared to the previous time...

-central to doi suthep?

thanks in advance...

Songtaew is B 20 "per zone". All my trips round town are either 20 or 40 baht. Airport can be a bit more, if it is out of their way. Do not know about Doi Suthep. Tuk tuk prices can vary - couple of days ago I paid B 80 from Kad Suan Kaew to Thapae Gate. First and only time I have ever had someone try to short change me in CM was a tuk-tuk driver last week. I spotted it, made him pay up, and he still expected a tip.

Edited by Contractor

Are you sure that the official minimum rate for a red songteaw is 20 baht now?

I rode one the other day and paid 15 baht with no complaints. I haven't seen any notices about a price increase and my staff say it hasn't gone up. :o

Used to pay 15, but tcgf and me recently paying 20

I rode one the other day and paid 15 baht with no complaints. I haven't seen any notices about a price increase and my staff say it hasn't gone up. :o

It's still 15B if you have exact change. If you ask the songtaew driver he'll ask for 20, 30, 100, whatever he thinks he can get. There's no reason to pay more than a Thai would. That would be dual-pricing. Wait ... that's a different thread.

In Chiang Mai, they pull this every time gas goes up, but songteaws in Pattaya and Mai Sai have been 5 baht for the last 20 years. Sometimes, the drivers in CM will even make fake price lists and put them in the back to convince foolish farangs that there has been a price rise, however, when ALL of them have the same official notice posted in the back about new prices, it is time to start paying it.

I really feel sorry for the poor Thais when the price goes up so high, but that is why anyone who can, buys a motorcycle. :D

In Chiang Mai, they pull this every time gas goes up, but songteaws in Pattaya and Mai Sai have been 5 baht for the last 20 years. Sometimes, the drivers in CM will even make fake price lists and put them in the back to convince foolish farangs that there has been a price rise, however, when ALL of them have the same official notice posted in the back about new prices, it is time to start paying it.

I really feel sorry for the poor Thais when the price goes up so high, but that is why anyone who can, buys a motorcycle. :o

mae sai went up a couple of years ago to six or seven baht. i think it's officially 8 baht now. at least to and from the border to the bus station. they have signs announcing the official fare.

which leads me to wonder - why aren't songtaews in cm required to post their official fare? i mean aside from the fact that they're mostly evil conniving pigs. still, if they're going to purport to be the "public transport" of chiang mai and prevent proper buses for years, they should be required to act like proper public transport. a pipe dream, i know.

Edited by ollylama

Drivers can be quite pushy and intimidating if you are not sure about the price, but I ask them why they didn't tell me the new price before I got in and refuse to pay more unless I see a formal notice, and then I try to ask a Thai if it is real, or not. :o

which leads me to wonder - why aren't songtaews in cm required to post their official fare? i mean aside from the fact that they're mostly evil conniving pigs. still, if they're going to purport to be the "public transport" of chiang mai and prevent proper buses for years, they should be required to act like proper public transport. a pipe dream, i know.

Perhaps the CM Mail could investigate and publish the official list of charges?

Drivers can be quite pushy and intimidating if you are not sure about the price, but I ask them why they didn't tell me the new price before I got in and refuse to pay more unless I see a formal notice, and then I try to ask a Thai if it is real, or not. :o

So I think I have been making the mistake of trying to negotiate the fare and/or asking how much before getting in. Is it better approach to just tell them where you are going, take the ride, and get out and hand them a 20 without asking them the price first?

If it makes anyone feel better, the Songteaw drivers also try to dual price other Thais! When we first arrived, my girlfriend with her Bangkok accent routinely got quoted higher prices than I think would have been quoted to me! Now that she has adjusted a bit, she routinely gets quoted fares between 15-25 baht.

My other question is, if the both of us going together to the same place, is it normal to pay two seperate fares? i.e. Should we pay per person, or per trip?

Thanks,

-Mestizo

So I think I have been making the mistake of trying to negotiate the fare and/or asking how much before getting in. Is it better approach to just tell them where you are going, take the ride, and get out and hand them a 20 without asking them the price first?

Yes, and if they don't ask for more than 15 baht, than don't give them more. If two people, give them 30 baht.

Edited by Ulysses G.

-central to doi suthep?

thanks in advance...

Songtaew:

Tae Pae Gate to Central: 20B with no complaints ... once on board (i.e. unless the driver sticks up 4 fingers before you get in)

Central to Night Bazaar: 20B with no complaints

Short distances, like Central to Nimmanhaemin: 15B (if you give exact change -- but don't get your hopes up if you give a 20B note)

Central to Doi Suthep: Don't know, but there are sign-posted rates from the Doi Suthep gang that park at the zoo

I've been told that crossing the moat area and on to Central (KSK) generally makes the price go up from 15 to 20.

These prices may go up late at night, if you behave like a tourist, get on in a touristy area, ask the price, or for no particular reason. But why blow a gasket over 5 or 10B? I find most drivers fair.

Tuk-tuks seem to me to be a law unto themselves. Who knows.

I always just say where I am going and jump in if he grunts or nods. I never hang around long enough outside his window for him to assume that I dont know the price. I always have change with me cause if I give him a fifty I will get twenty back and if I give him a twenty I will get nothing back.

On a fifteen baht ride, if its sorta long and I am the only passanger I will give him twenty as petrol / diesel / used cooking oil is expensive .

If you ask " how much " then you are asking for an inflated rate.

If the guy is going your way it is assumed that it is either 15 or 20 Baht.