Hill Tribe Coffee

thaitot

Can anyone give me directions where to find local coffee I think it is Hill tribe coffee .

Can I go to a little hut somewhere in the mountains and buy a kilo or two. It needs to be roasted

I do not want to go to a supersore and buy a commerically marketed variety.

Costs and where.

A good motorbike ride away no problem

This is a great question. I would love to support local tribe production as well. I have been buying this great dark lao coffee but would MUCH rather buy local mountain tribe coffee. I will be looking for the answer to this question as well.

Where are you getting the Lao coffee. I am looking for an expresso roast.

I was at a bar and I think the owner is a TV member in Chiang Dao and he pointed me in a direction where to buy Hill Tribe Coffee.

I looked on the way back but did not find it. I should have payed better attention to his directions.

I guess another bike ride and a stop at his restaurant is due .

Any chaing Dao members that can tell me where to find this coffee.

One place to buy 'fair trade' Hill Tribe coffee is the Lanna Cafe on Huawy Kaew Road just past the 7-11, 200m after the Shell gas station on the left going toward Doi Suthep. They also make a pretty good sandwich. Here is a link to their web site. http://www.lannacafe.org/about.html

I have also seen their coffee for sale in the OTOP products market at Airport Plaza.

Thanks I will stop by and get some.

Has anyone been to chaing rai area there are some growers who sell direct.

I guess I want to go to a area with a primitive roaster and buy some from the growers them self.

I have visited a few web sites on the subject but have not got any replies .

I have a friend back home who has been handling some of my business he is a coffee snob

I would love to take some pictures of the beans where they were grown and take some back.

Plus add a little adventure to the story.

There are places here I have just not found them yet.

That lao coffee sounds good .I visited a site in Lao where they told a story of roasting some of the best beans available.

Any additional suggestons What about berma mai sae area

You may want to try Chiangmai University, Faculty of Agriculture, Highland Coffee Research and Development Center.

Highland Research and Development Center

The project was originally started with help from the UN to give the Hill Tribes a good alternative cash crop. This page is pretty old, but I can assure you that they are still there and they do sell their products, which is 100% arabica and (usually, but not always) excellent.

I have seen ground coffee Doi Tung on the shelf At lotus

Iced doi Tung coffee that web site talked about.

I am salivating

The web sites I have visited have been old and the telephone numbers no good.

I will let it rest and the coffee will find me.

I did go to Doi Tung a few weeks back very beautiful if you have never been there.

The flower gardens are the best I have ever seen anywhere.

I have three weeks more to solve this Coffee madness and I will.

Thaitot out.

Where are you getting the Lao coffee. I am looking for an expresso roast.

I was at a bar and I think the owner is a TV member in Chiang Dao and he pointed me in a direction where to buy Hill Tribe Coffee.

I looked on the way back but did not find it. I should have payed better attention to his directions.

I guess another bike ride and a stop at his restaurant is due .

Any chaing Dao members that can tell me where to find this coffee.

They had a kiosk at the central airport for a month, and were giving away a coffee mug with every bag of coffee. So I bought 5 bags of their expresso roast and stocked up on the mugs as well. The coffee is very good but not sure if they are still there..

Edited by swain

Thanks to all that have replied.

I was driving down canal rd on my motorbike and my girlfiend said she smelled coffee(fate has brought me to her)we turned in at the entrance to CMU and on the corner is the CMU royal coffee project.

We stopped in and they sell roasted and ground coffee lite med and dark roast. bean.coarce or powder(fine)

Cost 80 baht 200kg 170 500kg and they have a 1 kilo also I did not get the price.

I am yet to try

I will go to Doi Pui and take a look this is a good motor bike ride anyway

Thank again.

A previous post did tell me about the royal project I just did not know where it was