90-day Address Report After Returning To Thailand

What is it with the Pattaya newspapers continually reporting what appears to be misinformation?

Point in case: current (Vol.7, No.9, 16-31 January 2008) Pattaya Today page 33, "Your visa teasers answered" column:

Q. Darren, I have a one year retirement visa and, every 90 days, I report to the immigration department with my name and address but I plan to go back to my country for a holiday and I shall not be in Thailand on my next 90 day report. What should I do. I don't want to overstay.

A. If you are not in Thailand when your 90 day report is due obviously you cannot report what the correct thing to do is. When you return back to Thailand after approximately 2 days go to your local immigration office and let them know you are back in Thailand they will then give you a new report date. I have seen many clients come back to Thailand and presume that they don't have to report to the immigration department and that the 90 days starts automaticaly. But this can now sometimes result in a fine.

Is it not correct that re-entering Thailand (and submitting a TM.6 with your address) restarts the clock for 90-day address reports? Form TM.47 says in capital letters: "FORM FOR ALIEN TO NOTIFY OF STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS" which indicates that if you have not stayed in Thailand longer than 90 days, there is no need to file the form -- i.e. one only reports their address on that form when they are remaining in Thailand >90 days. If so, why the need to report "approximately 2 days" after arriving in Thailand?

If an address report IS required, why wait until AFTER "approximately 2 days"? How/why can not doing so "sometimes result in a fine"?

The column ends with the following disclaimer:

The questions presented here are typical of those raised at Key Visa [whose managing director writes the column] on a daily basis but are discussed here only for general information and interest. Neither Key Visa nor Pattaya Today can enter into correspondence or debate about the particular replies in this column.

[edited to substitute "reporting" for "contradicting" in first sentence.]

Edited by wpcoe

We had reports here that Hua Hin was interpreting it the same way as indicated in Pattaya Today. I am very surprised to hear that Jomtien might be doing the same thing. It doesn't make any sense. Hope someone authoritative can explain what is really happening here.

Thank you for posting that, Wpcoe. Your view of the 90-day address reporting procedure is correct.

To what extent the blatantly false information given by Key Visa may reflect on the quality of that organisation’s other services, I cannot say.

--

Maestro

...We had reports here that Hua Hin was interpreting it the same way as indicated in Pattaya Today...

The reports about Hua Hin immigration office I saw were about something else, not the 90-day address reports.

--

Maestro

Hua Hin seemed to be using the normally unenforced provision of a requirement to notify police within 24 hours of any move for those here on non immigrant visas when people asked for confirmation of address. It had nothing to do with 90 day reports. Have not seen any recent reports of the Hua Hin situation.

...Point in case: current (Vol.7, No.9, 16-31 January 2008) Pattaya Today page 33, "Your visa teasers answered" column:...

I wish I could find that article in the online version of the paper, but I can’t. I would like to add it to my collection of oddities.

--

Maestro

Here's a useful link:

1. No Representations Or Warranties

The services provided on this Web site and the content, information, documents, graphics and images published at this Web site could include inaccuracies, typographical errors or other errors...

Users of this Web site should not rely upon opinions expressed at this Web site when making business, financial, personal or other decisions.

http://www.pattaya2day.com/disclaimer.php

While it is probably not a legal retirement to contact the Immigration Office when you arrive back in Thailand, I would think that it's a good idea to do it anyway.

Then they can calculate the date that you next need to do a 90 day visit. You wouldn't need to complete the 90 day form, just request them to give you the next date.

This would prevent the possibilty of you making a mistake in your own calculations and finding yourself in an overstay situation.

I realise that it's not exactly rocket science maths needed, but we all have bad days.

I believe in being on the safe side so I recently went to Pattaya immigration because my next 90 day report date would occur when I was overseas ( some three weeks hence ). I presented the completed form and was given a new report date 90 days from the day of my visit to immigration. Maybe not necessary or strictly speaking required but I'm comfortable doing it this way.

I believe in being on the safe side so I recently went to Pattaya immigration because my next 90 day report date would occur when I was overseas ( some three weeks hence ). I presented the completed form and was given a new report date 90 days from the day of my visit to immigration. Maybe not necessary or strictly speaking required but I'm comfortable doing it this way.

Don't forget your re-entry permit.

While it is probably not a legal retirement to contact the Immigration Office when you arrive back in Thailand, I would think that it's a good idea to do it anyway.

Then they can calculate the date that you next need to do a 90 day visit. You wouldn't need to complete the 90 day form, just request them to give you the next date.

This would prevent the possibilty of you making a mistake in your own calculations and finding yourself in an overstay situation.

I realise that it's not exactly rocket science maths needed, but we all have bad days.

As there is a two week window (plus/minus 7 days) it would really be a bad math day.

I was out of the country five times last year and so never went over 90 days in Thailand

and had no 90 day report slip in my passport when I renewed my retirement visa recently.

No mention was made at Immigration regarding having no slip.

Naka.

Assuming you have a multi-entry visa, if you leave the country prior to a 90 day report period then it is in effect cancelled, when you re-enter, the 90 report period recommences and is due 90 days from the re-entry date stamped in your passport. If you have any hassles simply send all the documents to Suan Plu about 7-10 days before your 90 days in due with a self-addressed envolope and bingo- back it comes with a new 90 day form with the next 90 day date stamped on it . Pretty simple and easy and can't understand all the drama that everyone goes on with - todate I have done this more than 20 times over the past years without the slightest problem.

Edited by Artisi

I was out of the country five times last year and so never went over 90 days in Thailand

and had no 90 day report slip in my passport when I renewed my retirement visa recently.

No mention was made at Immigration regarding having no slip.

Naka.

It probably amazes many people to think that the immigration police can actually count 90 days from your last entry and then know whether you should have a 90 day slip in your passport or not, as in your case and my last entry about 3 weeks from the day of new extension to stay (without a report slip in my passport)