Under Consideration Of 1 Year Extention

On jan 3 I went to the immigration office to apply for a one year extension of non-immigrant-O visa based on marriage and income (>40k)

My last "admitted until" stamp was dated jan 14

I got a "under consideration stamp" that said I've to contact the immigration office again on FEB 16

I was told not to do a visa run until then.

I was told I would get extra 7 days if the application would be refused

If the application would be accepted I wouldn't have to do a visa run for 1 year (or longer if applied for a new extension after that).

Today our first child will be born

I am younger than 50.

I checked my passport today for the birth certificate.

What worries me is that my last admitted until stamp is until JAN 14. And the "under consideration stamp" doesn't say I can stay until FEB 16, it just says I've an appointment on that day.

Am I on an overstay? If so, what should I do?

Edited by kriswillems

You are permitted to stay up until Feb 16. Until that time your application is under consideration and you are allowed to remain in Thailand. On that date (or before if they call you) you will receive the normal one year family extension of stay. Don't worry and enjoy the child.

On 21st January I applied for my first extension for "Living with my Thai child" who is 3 1/2. I have to go back as the visa is under consideration on 19th February and I am allowed to stay in Thailand until that day after which the visa will be granted or I get extended again.

I used to stay here under Thai wife support but it expired last September.

I was off shore and got a 3 month Non Imm O in Penang at the end of October.

Somewhere my brain has dumped a bit.

When my visa is extended to the 1 year point is the due date the date of the extension or the date I entered in October. I have racked my brains and I cannot remember. :o

Can someone please let me know? :D

Thanks

It used to always start from your current date of entry. But this year sometime they seemed to have changed to using one year from the current permitted to stay stamp from a number of reports.

Thanks Lopburi3

I will find out in a couple of weeks and let you know.

It used to always start from your current date of entry. But this year sometime they seemed to have changed to using one year from the current permitted to stay stamp from a number of reports.

Yes this is the case here in Chiang Mai. My last 1 year extension was due to expire 4th Jan 08 but due to visiting family in Korat i had to apply for my 2nd 1 year extension early 17th Dec. 08.

Went to collect my new 1 year non "o" extension Friday and i have been given till 4th Jan. 09 and not 17th Dec 08 as i expected :o

On jan 3 I went to the immigration office to apply for a one year extension of non-immigrant-O visa based on marriage and income (>40k)

My last "admitted until" stamp was dated jan 14

I got a "under consideration stamp" that said I've to contact the immigration office again on FEB 16

I was told not to do a visa run until then.

I was told I would get extra 7 days if the application would be refused

If the application would be accepted I wouldn't have to do a visa run for 1 year (or longer if applied for a new extension after that).

Today our first child will be born

I am younger than 50.

I checked my passport today for the birth certificate.

What worries me is that my last admitted until stamp is until JAN 14. And the "under consideration stamp" doesn't say I can stay until FEB 16, it just says I've an appointment on that day.

Am I on an overstay? If so, what should I do?

yes , this is normal procedure, first years i was here , the visa application not yet came back from bangkok afther 1 month, so i got again same stamp giving me 1 month, and than afther 2 months the visa was there....., and next month i had to report 90 days! , so in 3 months 3 times to the immigration office....., but this is normal....,

now it seems they can do it more quickly and its always ok afther the first month.....,( i am also under 50)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I went to the immigration office today (Friday). Tomorrow (Saturday) is my last day I can stay in Thailand: FEB 16.

My 1 year extension hasn't arrived yet from Bangkok.

They said: "no problem (mai mii panhaa), just come back on Monday."

They didn't gave me a new stamp.

So, on Sunday, FEB17, I guess I am illegally in the country.

We'll see on Monday.

Is the 1 year year extension a kind of sticker or paper that physically has to come from BKK? Or is it just a stamp in your passport?

Update:

I went to the office today (Monday, FEB18)

My appointment stamp is dated FEB16

They still didn't receive the necessary FAX from BKK to approve my 1 year extension

I didn't get a new appointment stamp

I have to go back to the immigration office (AGAIN!!!) on FEB20

I the police would catch me I was told they should call them.

I feel not comfortable with this situation.

Should not be a problem - just don't get arrested. If you are stopped and they notice tell them to contact Immigration Police as they are awaiting word from Bangkok. It is an unusual situation these days as all should be complete within 30 days.

Okay!

Immigration called me today in the afternoon. I went back. I've got my 1 year extension. So, now I can stay with my baby and wife without having too worry too

much.

They even joked with me in the immigration office. The immigration officer said: "and didn't the the police catch you?" (in Thai).

I got my extension yesterday.

I went down for the extension of living with my Thai child on 21st January and was given the 1 month usual extension until 19 February, yesterday.

I went yesterday morning and my extension was granted until 28th January 2009.

All that was needed was to go inside, clip 1 ticket number to my passport and keep 1 until my passprt was stamped.

There are 4 officers and 1 clerk involved in this process.

1. 1 officer collects the passports from the tray and gives the information to the clerk who gets the paper files.

2. The same officer matches the files and passports and passes them to number 2.

3. No 2 then enters the details into the master ledgers and passes a pile every so often to no 3.

4. No 3 then enters some of the details on the file and makes some stamps and signatures and passes the files and passports to no 4.

5. No 4 then enters more details on the files and stamps and signs the pasport, calls out the number and you collect the passport or it is left in the basket for you to collect.

This system works well UNLESS any of no 2, 3 or 4 oficers leaves their desk for a while when a logjam starts to build up.

It also works well all the time EXCEPT when the blasted agents jump the queue and spend time talking to any of the officers in an attempt to get their clients passports done first.

Several times yesterday I had to fight the temptation to explain physically to a gentleman of Indian extraction that if he did not cease and desist the practice of barging in and slowing the process down for everybody then I would headbut him.

I was talking to an old German guy while we were waiting and I think he was using an agent as when he was just finished a Thai girl gave him his passport and a 90 day form and told him that he had to go back every 90 days. I explained to him that he could just post it in but she was adamant he could not. I explained that I had done so for more that 3 years and she was wrong and suggested the he visits the 90 day reporting room to get the rifgt information but I don't know if he did.

There should be a different place where the agents can go to collect the passports (like Nakon Nowhere) and people should just be patient and wait their turn, not talk to the immigration staff and the process would speed up tremendously.

It took my 1 1/4 hours form my passport to be completely stamped and signed due to the agents.

Also it would help if officers 3 and 4 to do the complete stamps and signatures each instead of passing them along the line.

I drove 400 km down yesterday morning from home near Khampaeng Phet leaving at 5am. I left the car in Carrefours car park at On Nut, caught the skytrain to Asok, the subway to Lumpini and got into Suan Phlu at 10.45 and out just after 12.00.

I then went shopping at Central, chidlom, got my medices at Asok, lunch at Robinsons food court, not so good as it should have been hot rather than cool food, out to Lotus at Seacon, monthly bulk shop, and bought a prinetr as mine ahd died, up to Nakhon Sawan and Makro on the way home, inetrnational cuisine at Big C, (KFC) and home at 10.30 pm.

My wife was asleep but my 3 1/2 year old son was wide awake waiting for Daddy.

Up at 6 am this morning and I am totally knackered so it will be an hours kip on the sofa after lunch.

The good news is no more visits until next January.

:D :D :D:o:D

One point on 90 day reporting - if the the person lives in Bangkok they are not supposed to use mail-in reporting so that may have been the reason the lady said he could not do it. I am sure that there may be some doing it without a problem - but I have asked several times over the years, different officers, and each time been told mail-in is not available for those living in the city.