Non Immigrant O Visa - Extension To Support Thai Children

I was checking out the Immigration Bureau's website on Marriage Visas and Support of Thai children. The non-O is obtained outside Thailand, but then can be extended in Thailand provided certain criteria met.

For new applications (not grandfathered by the older rules), for supporting a thai wife it specifically refers to the THB 40,000 per month income rule. For supporting a Thai child, it doesn't list specific amounts but requires "evidence of financial status"

1) Has anyone tried this route, i.e Married or otherwise to obtain a Non-O visa extension based on your child, rather than your wife?

2) Does anyone know what the specific "financial status" requirements are for non-Thai father of a Thai child? It doesn't refer to any amounts.

Info from the Immigration website is as follows

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service#

Application for further stay for a non-Thai father or mother to support children who are Thai CitizenRequired Documents

1. Immigration form 7 (Tor Mor 7)
  2. A copy of passport
  3. A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph
  4. 1,900 baht application fee
  5. Evidence indicating the parental status; birth certificate or a Judical Custody order of the child
  6. Evidence presenting financial status:
    • Bank pass-book, bank statement certifying amount of money in the applicant's account, a certified documents of money transferring from oversea or evidence of income with related documents

[*]A record of interviewing the applicant

[*]The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents if necessary

• In most cases, the request will not be approved if the non-Thai parents sponsor an adopted child who is a Thai citizen

NoteFor more information, please call 0-2213-2556

---------------------

This can be compared to:

------------------------------

Application for further stay for an alien husband who supports a wife who is Thai citizen or who is a permanent resident of the Kingdom of ThailandRequired Documents

1. Immigration Form 7
  2. Copy of passport
  3. A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph
  4. A 1,900 baht application fee
  5. Marriage Certificate
  6. Birth Certificate (if any)
  7. Financial evidence showing financial status of the husband

1. Bank account pass-book, personal bank statement of the account owner.
    2. Evidence indicating income along with related documents. If receiving pension, a document of pension payment certified by the embassy or consulate of the country that pays pension is needed.
    3. In case of working in Thailand, Work permit and evidence of tax payment are required.

[*]Documents indicating Thai nationality or permanent residence of the wife such as identification card (ID), census registration address / residence identification, or passport (in case that the wife is a permanent resident)

[*]A record of interviewing the applicant and his wife.

[*]Applicant must accompany his wife to the Immigration Bureau office to certify of all the documents. The couple will be able to confirm that they are still husband and wife.

[*]Evidence certified by the applicant's embassy or consulate showing the applicant's marital status.

[*]The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents from the applicant if necessary.

1. Wife of Thai nationality:
  2. TM. 7
  3. Passport copy
  4. Passport picture (4x6 cm)
  5. Application fee 1,900.- Baht
  6. Marriage certificate
  7. House register and identification card of wife
  8. Birth certificate of children (if any)
  9. Interview record of applicant and wife
  10. Applicant must accompany his wife to the Immigration Bureau office to certify of all the documents. The couple will be able to confirm that they are still husband and wife.
  11. Financial documentation:
    - Bank statement and copy of bank account showing at least 400,000.- Baht deposit {This is outdated and not available now, but can be grandfathered}
    - Employment evidence, work permit, and tax documentation showing an income of at least 40,000.- Baht.

--------------------------------------------

Edited by fletchsmile

If the child is yours and you are named as the father on the birth certificate. You can get the yearly extension with no money required if you are OVER 50 YEARS of age.

If you are under 50 there is no provision for a year extension .

Thanks for the note. Do you have any specific references for it?

I've read posts on Thai visa, but people often mix up the requirements. I know that retirment visa options are there for people over 50, with certain income levels.

Setting an age limit for retirment has some logic, but I can't really see the relevance of age to supporting a child.

Also, on the retirment section it sepcifically refers in the notes to age. It seems strange that for wife it stipulates income; for retirement it stipulates age and income; for child it doesn't specify either.

Application for further stay to spend the remainder of life in the

Kingdom of ThailandRequired Documents

1. Immigration form 7 (Tor Mor 7)
  2. Copy of passport
  3. 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph
  4. 1,900 baht application fee
  5. Financial Evidence:

1. Bank account pass-book, bank statement
    2. Evidence showing reception of pension accompanied with Thai translation certified by the embassy or consulate of the country paying the pension
    3. Evidence presenting other sources of income or evidence of money transferred from overseas

[*]In cases of having dependents (husband / wife, children), the applicant must provide evidence indicating their relationship. Evidence must be translated into Thai and be certified by the embassy or consulate of the non-Thai citizens.

[*]Health Certificate for those who apply for further stay after Nov. 14, 2002.

[*]The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents, if necessary

Applications Consideration

1. A foreign national must be older than 50 years old.
  2. Not be a prohibit person.
  3. Financial documents state one of the following

[*]The Health Certificate must indicate that the applicant does not have the following serious conditions:

1. Leprosy
    2. Turberculosis, TB
    3. Elephantiasis, Filariasis
    4. Drug addiction
    5. Alcoholism
    6. Syphilis

A deposite of 800,000 baht at least , or
A minimum income of 65,000 baht a month , or
A deposite pluses (monthly income x 12) not less than 800,000 baht.
Edited by fletchsmile

There is no longer a "support Thai wife" extension of stay. You can obtain a "family" extension of stay with proof of combined monthly income of 40k. As said above, there is no provision for child except for those over 50 years old. The current rules are contained in Police Order 606/2006 and can be found from links on the Immigration web site or from pinned items at the top of this section (useful information). The Immigration web site specifics have not been updated since this new police order came into effect.

Thanks for your feedback. It seems there's generally a lack of updated info. The Immigration website is behind the times.

However, there is (or at least used to be) a visa to "support a Thai child", as well as a visa to "receive support from" a child.

There is no longer a "support Thai wife" extension of stay. You can obtain a "family" extension of stay with proof of combined monthly income of 40k. As said above, there is no provision for child except for those over 50 years old. The current rules are contained in Police Order 606/2006 and can be found from links on the Immigration web site or from pinned items at the top of this section (useful information). The Immigration web site specifics have not been updated since this new police order came into effect.

The problem with the post on this 606/2549 or 606/2006 is it looks oudated. eg. It still refers to the 3mio baht investment visa which is no longer valid. In addition it is pre the changes on marriage. So its not really most current info in the same place

The child based visa is not for support - it is to allow the child to take care of their parent in his old age - that is why there is no monitory requirement.

I've read this comment before. According to the Immigration website there are 2 scenarios. The one I posted where parent looks after the child. The one you've raised is child looking after the parent, i.e

Application for extension of stay to receive support from children (parents foreign nationals)Required documents

1. Child Thai national
  2. TM. 7
  3. Passport copy
  4. Passport picture 4x6 cm
  5. Application fee 1,900.- Baht
  6. Evidence of parenthood or birth certificate, marriage register of parents
  7. Interview record of applicant and child
  8. Documentation of financial position, profession, and income of child or applicant
  9. The officer in charge reserves the right to request additional documents as needed.

NoteFor more information, please call 0-2213-2556

Edited by fletchsmile

606/2006 is the current police order concerning stays in Thailand.

Regarding the Investment Stay if you read 7.4 Criteria 1 it states that applicants had to be using this prior to 606/2006 coming into force. IE. No new applicants.

Most of the stuff on the Immigration web sites is out of date.

Have just re-read the 2006 doc (English version) from Sunbelt

It says

Cases: 7.17: In the case of a family member of a Thai (.....)

Basis for Consideration:

...(1) The alien has obtained a ... visa... and...

...(3) In the case of a spouse... legitimate marriage

...(4) In the case of a child... the said person must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years old...

...(5) In the case of a parent...the said person must be 50 years of age or over

...(6) In the case of an alien married to a Thai... income not less than 40k etc

Extremely weird that a father under the age of 50 is not allowed to stay and look after his child. Then again TIT.

I wonder what happens in point 6 if the Thai wife dies? I guess an under 50 year old, non-working father has to leave, regardless of how much investment income he has. :o

Also Under 7.4: Shame the 3mio baht investment is no longer an option. Tho I did read of 8mio somewhere else

Anyway thanks for the replies gents

Edited by fletchsmile

I am 63 and elegible to the living with my Thai child extension of the Non-Imm "O" visa.

Prior to this extension I had a Thai wife support extension for about 3 years which expired last September while I was working offshore.

When I returned in October I had to do a visa run to Penang to get a 3 month Non-Imm "O" visa and I took the copy of marriage certificate, birth certificate, proof of pensions etc and got that easily.

2 weeks ago we all went to Suan Phlu as we live In Khampaeng Phet province with no really close Immigration offices.

I got the forms etc and waited about 3 hours as it was busy and nearly lunchtime as well.

My number came up and the lady asked for proof of income and I explained that I wanted to go the Living with my Thai child visa. She said OK and we went from there. As our son is only 3 1/2 she inked his right thumb and put it on the extra form I had to fill in and my wife had to fill in an extra form as well. We were out in around 15 minutes and I have to go back on 19th February.

It should be OK.

I followed Badbankers example from last year and the main difference from then is the need for photos of the house and family et.

Another angle..

If the child is your own and had dual nationality.. Have the child in on thier western passport.. Get the child in a good school on an ED visa.. Then show 500k in the bank and support the child while they are at school.

Yes I saw that one under 7.10 and wondered about it. Some of these are quite amusing :o

I guess I could also start a company. Then I could apply for a work permit and provide consultancy services to my daughter and/or wife. Of course I'd have to pay tax. But think how much they'd owe me by the time she was 18. :D

Edited by fletchsmile

I am 63 and elegible to the living with my Thai child extension of the Non-Imm "O" visa.

Prior to this extension I had a Thai wife support extension for about 3 years which expired last September while I was working offshore.

When I returned in October I had to do a visa run to Penang to get a 3 month Non-Imm "O" visa and I took the copy of marriage certificate, birth certificate, proof of pensions etc and got that easily.

2 weeks ago we all went to Suan Phlu as we live In Khampaeng Phet province with no really close Immigration offices.

I got the forms etc and waited about 3 hours as it was busy and nearly lunchtime as well.

My number came up and the lady asked for proof of income and I explained that I wanted to go the Living with my Thai child visa. She said OK and we went from there. As our son is only 3 1/2 she inked his right thumb and put it on the extra form I had to fill in and my wife had to fill in an extra form as well. We were out in around 15 minutes and I have to go back on 19th February.

It should be OK.

I followed Badbankers example from last year and the main difference from then is the need for photos of the house and family et.

Classic. I hope your son is giving you moral guidance as well. Not just supporting you financially :o

Reminds me of when we got our daughter's passport. The UK embassy accepted that at just over a month old she wasn't going to be able to sign much. On the other hand the Thai passport agency tried to get a print. This took quite a while, and they tried various toes as well as fingers. As you can imagine most of the time it was just black ink smudges. Eventually we got one. A year and a half later, I doubt if anyone tried to compare smudges they'd looking anything like the one in the passport. We'd also have to try all 10 fingers and toes to remember which one it was. :D

Warning - this post contains rumor and experience, but no official rules. Sometimes it seems that there are no official rules.

I'd been going to Vientiane for 90 day tourist visas. When things turned sticky a couple of years ago, I found that I could get a non-O to live with my Thai baby, so I switched to that. Every ninety days, I take a photocopy of the birth certificate and the childn's tabian bahn and my tabian bahn to Vientiane and get another 90 days. The visa is to live with the child; there is no requirement to prove income.

Converrting to annual renewable failed. It appears as though I have to have legal custody in order to get annual, but the consulate does not require evidence of custody to give me ninety days. Immigration requires me to have custody, but the amphoe where I have lived for over ten years refused to give me custody.

Since then I have had another baby with another Thai woman. Every three months I give the Thai consulate in Vientiane photocopies of two birth certificates and of three tabian bahns, and get another ninety days. I like Vientiane; I have friends there now.

And yes, I spend part of each week with one kid, and part of each week with the other kid. I support them and teach them and help mommy take care of them.

hey;

I got my 1 year extension based on the fact i am over 50 and living with my thai daughter. When they asked why i wanted to change from my retirment extension i told them i dont have enough money in the bank.

HERE in PHUKET they required i show 500,000 in the bank for 3 months even though is showed them the requrements in thai.

What ya gona do, Argue with them?

the head of immmigration responded in the Gazette here, " Although you dont need to show a minimun income, you must show that your income is enough to allow you to responsably provide u can care for her" Not exactly what the extension is really based on, "

I have heard that they do not require any money in bangkok via Sunbelt but have not had anyone say they received their extension on their own there.

As i have said and we all know each and every immigration is a law unto itself.

Well...I am 45 years old and I just got a 1 year visa for supporting my Thai son! I simply showed the immigration a letter from my embassy saying that I receive a monthly pension. And that was that! :o

Well...I am 45 years old and I just got a 1 year visa for supporting my Thai son! I simply showed the immigration a letter from my embassy saying that I receive a monthly pension. And that was that! :o

Could you tell us what Immigration Office this was at , beacause as Lopburi said this is not a reason to get an extension.

Are you sure it was not because you are married to a Thai National.?

hey;

I got my 1 year extension based on the fact i am over 50 and living with my thai daughter. When they asked why i wanted to change from my retirment extension i told them i dont have enough money in the bank.

HERE in PHUKET they required i show 500,000 in the bank for 3 months even though is showed them the requrements in thai.

What ya gona do, Argue with them?

the head of immmigration responded in the Gazette here, " Although you dont need to show a minimun income, you must show that your income is enough to allow you to responsably provide u can care for her" Not exactly what the extension is really based on, "

I have heard that they do not require any money in bangkok via Sunbelt but have not had anyone say they received their extension on their own there.

As i have said and we all know each and every immigration is a law unto itself.

Hi

I went down to Suan Phlu with my wife and son and using a combination of Badbankers information from last year and some of Sunbelts at the end of the year I applied on my own.

So far they gave me the extension but I have to go back on Tuesday 19th February to pick up the stamp.

I will stress that it was done in Bangkok and I had to show no money at all though my wife and son had to be there. My wife had to sign 1 form and I filled in another for my son who then had his right thumbprint taken as his Thai writng skills at 3 1/2 are not quite up to the mark yet.

This is the paperwork I worked from.

I took the originals and 2 copies.

I will report back to Thai visa next week when I come back from Suan Phlu.

It may pay you in the long term to come to Bangkok for your visa though they may ask you why you didn't get it done in Phuket.

Living with Thai child paperwork reqd

Sunbelt paperwork

1 A photocopy and the original of the foreigner applicant’s passport

2 A photocopy and the original of your child’s Birth Certificate

3 A photocopy and the original of your Marriage certificate (with child’s mother) which certified by UK Embassy in Thailand as well. Mine was certified by the Thai Minisrty of Foreign Affairs.

4 a photo of yourself 4*6 cm to attach to the application form

5 a photocopy and the original of your wife's ID card

6 a photocopy and original of the Tabien Baan with wife and child named on the register

7 a map of the house showing the directions

8 a photo of the family at the house and about 4 photos of my wife, child and me in front of the house number and some inside

Child's mother to go to the immigration office with child and me because the officer will interview both parents.

The applicant will get the consideration time of 1 month and get a long visa after that.

Posted by: Badbanker 2007-04-22 10:58:47

Visa Extension over 50 to Support Thai Child (Long)

Extension of Non Imm "O" based on Age Over 50 and Support of Thai Child

1 Copy of the National Police Office Order 606/2006 in English and Thai

2 Passport and photocopies of main page, entry stamp page and visa page

3 Original Thai Birth Certificate of son and photocopies

4 Original Thai Marriage Certificate and photocopies

5 Original Letter from doctor on Hospital Letter Head confirming he delivered my son

6 Copies of House Registration certificate of wife and son

7 Copy of wife’s Thai ID card

Living_with_Thai_child_paperwork_blank.xls

hmmm,i think that is impossible,they want to see your money comes from oversea into a thai bank account,which immigration was that?

hmmm,i think that is impossible,they want to see your money comes from oversea into a thai bank account,which immigration was that?

I think that is imposible because there is no provision for yearly extensions to support Thai children if you are under 50.

And even if you are over 50 it is to live with, not support.

note to the above, I was never married but have the court order giving me full custody of my daughter.

Here in phuket they did not ask for pics or my daughter to go with me.

It would be a real inconvince to travel to bangkok and go on the assumption that i can get the extensiion and not place the money in the bank and then have them tell me NO.

Something that bother me about living here is things can change so fast. My daughter is going to go to school in the states next year because we both agree that she will get a better education there than the international school she is in (which costs me over $14,000/year now)

So i will no longer be able to get the extension if they ask her to come with me. A own a house so have now put it up for sale as what happens if i cant get the extension? After 20 +years in Thailand i will find myself unable to stay. To much stress.

Yes i know i can get the retirement extension but it is not easy to come up with 800,000 in the bank for 3 months.

Cambodia looks better ever month to me.

Billd , let us know how it coes out but am sure u will get it. How did u get this: 5 Original Letter from doctor on Hospital Letter Head confirming he delivered my son.

I cant possible get this as The hosptial where my daughter was born is gone.

Plus this is wrong; "

You do not get an extension for support, that is gone, now it is for living with.

Another thing that gets me; You have all these condos being built and sold to farnags cause they tell ya you can own 49% of them. What they dont tell ya is just cause you own a condo does not get you a visa.

Whats is going to happen to all these people when they find they can not get a visa to stay at their home??

Edited by phuketrichard

note to the above, I was never married but have the court order giving me full custody of my daughter.

Here in phuket they did not ask for pics or my daughter to go with me.

It would be a real inconvince to travel to bangkok and go on the assumption that i can get the extensiion and not place the money in the bank and then have them tell me NO.

Something that bother me about living here is things can change so fast. My daughter is going to go to school in the states next year because we both agree that she will get a better education there than the international school she is in (which costs me over $14,000/year now)

So i will no longer be able to get the extension if they ask her to come with me. A own a house so have now put it up for sale as what happens if i cant get the extension? After 20 +years in Thailand i will find myself unable to stay. To much stress.

Yes i know i can get the retirement extension but it is not easy to come up with 800,000 in the bank for 3 months.

Cambodia looks better ever month to me.

Billd , let us know how it coes out but am sure u will get it. How did u get this: 5 Original Letter from doctor on Hospital Letter Head confirming he delivered my son.

I cant possible get this as The hosptial where my daughter was born is gone.

Plus this is wrong; "

You do not get an extension for support, that is gone, now it is for living with.

Another thing that gets me; You have all these condos being built and sold to farnags cause they tell ya you can own 49% of them. What they dont tell ya is just cause you own a condo does not get you a visa.

Whats is going to happen to all these people when they find they can not get a visa to stay at their home??

Sorry Richard

Item 5 the letter from the Doctor confirming the birth of my child was from Badbanker and I left it in by mistake. They did not ask me about that.

As for the Extension of Non-Imm "O" based on age over 50 and support of my Thai Child is based on the fact that

1. I did get a Non-Imm "O" from Penang last year in October using the fact of my being married and having a child.

2. I am 63 so I qualified for the extension by being over 50

3. When I went for the extension I asked for it on the grounds of living with/supporting a Thai Child.

The words were mine and not necessarily the Immigration Departments and If I cuased confusion please accept my apologies.

Now as to the fact that in Phuket they did not ask to see your daughter (the court order I suspect is the same as having the childs mother present) makes me think that they were under the impression that the extension that you asked for may not have been the one they were willing to give.

It is a known fact that each Immigration office has the same rules to work to BUT that they can also ask for additional information and quite often they do.

The picture thing came up as the head man in Suan Phlu was replaced apparantly and this was one of "his" rules and there was a thread about it towards the end of last year.

I can also understand your reluctance to go to Bangkok on the offchance that it will be different.

We live about midway between Chiang Mai and Bangkok and I have always used Bangkok before so it is normal for me to do so. We tend to go down on a Sunday and get everything sorted out before and then try on Monday when they can tell me what is missing or required and this then gives me the rest of the week to get it correct.

Fortunately for us we can stay with friends so it is not too expensive and gives my wife the once a year trip to Bangkok to see the family and go out shopping without me.

hmmm;

They knew exactly which one i wanted as i showed them the rullings in thai and english and the head guy speaks english. :-) plus they know me very well after dealing with them for so many years.

what is strange is that they are requiring a show of money while in fact they dont need to but they can as Fletch said;

"...2) Does anyone know what the specific "financial status" requirements are for non-Thai father of a Thai child? It doesn't refer to any amounts.""

Phuket is merely asking for 500,000 which is the same amount that they require if ur trying to get an extension based on the fact ur child is studying in a reconginized school ( international school).

I will go back later this month to confrim exactly what i need this time 3 1/2 months in advance so can get the mmoney into the bank if needed again.

It seems things change as often as one changes gf's in LOS

I wish Bangkok was closer...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, have been offline .... I got this 1 year visa at the immigration in Nakhon Si Thammarat. And no, I am not married to my son's mother.

Before the immigration issued the visa they wanted to see photos of us together and they also visited our home to see that we actually lived together.

I was rather surpriced because I am also working here and have a work permit (of course :D ) and I also showed the immigration my payslips from the company where I work and tax papers from the resent year.

But they required my pension statement from the Embassy.

When I showed it to them, they told me that they didn't need my payslips and tax papers as the pension was enough to get a visa.

So now I don't have to do the 90 days visa run anymore, I got a 1 year work permit on the basis of my 1 year visa. Nice, isn't it??? :D

Edited by mrolsen

To the best of my knowledge there is no annual extension of stay to support a child. There is one to live with a Thai child.

…When I showed it to them, they told me that they didn't need my payslips and tax papers as the pension was enough to get a visa.

This sounds more like you got your annual extension (not visa) for the reason of retirement.

--

Maestro

Another angle..

If the child is your own and had dual nationality.. Have the child in on thier western passport.. Get the child in a good school on an ED visa.. Then show 500k in the bank and support the child while they are at school.

Yes I saw that one under 7.10 and wondered about it. Some of these are quite amusing :o

I guess I could also start a company. Then I could apply for a work permit and provide consultancy services to my daughter and/or wife. Of course I'd have to pay tax. But think how much they'd owe me by the time she was 18. :D

no, your wife provides the consulting services to you. One day per month "Thai business and cultural advisory services" @ $1400 per day.

As a Thai national she doesn't need a work permit. She makes the money, and you pay her. This counts as part of the family income. Tax on 40K per month is approx 2K baht to the tax man.