Driving From Bangkok To Samui: How Long ?

Hi,

I'm moving permanantly from Bangkok to koh samui, next monday. We'll be driving down there from Bangkok (Sukhumvit), for the first time. I was wondering how long it takes to get to the suratthani ferry pier ?

If we leave really early in the morning, can we arrive in Surrathani before the last ferry leaves ? My GPS says it takes 10:45 hours. What do you think ?

The last Seatran ferry is 19.00 from Donsak

There may be a good chance the ferry is full when you get there, so suggest the following:

Book 1-2 days in advance

Call Seatran 077251150 or 077251555

They will tell you how much you have to pay for your ticket (car & driver only, passenger tickets you buy when you arrive at the terminal).

They will give you a booking code number and you will also need your telephone number and car reg. number.

If you have a Bank of Ayudhya account, you can pay at any of their ATM's, if not go into the bank and pay at the counter. Only Ayudhya have this service.

Keep the slip, you have to present this at the ferry port when you collect your tickets.

You MUST be at the port at least 30 mins. before sailing time.

Hope this helps.B

Edited by loiner100

There may be a good chance the ferry is full when you get there, so suggest the following:

They will tell you how much you have to pay for your ticket (car & driver only, passenger tickets you buy when you arrive at the terminal).

They will give you a booking code number and you will also need your telephone number and car reg. number.

If you have a Bank of Ayudhya account, you can pay at any of their ATM's, if not go into the bank and pay at the counter. Only Ayudhya have this service.

Keep the slip, you have to present this at the ferry port when you collect you tickets.

Hope this helps.

yup, this really helps! Thanks heaps for these infos. I'll book in advance, and prey to get there by 6:30.

Book 1-2 days in advance

Keep the slip, you have to present this at the ferry port when you collect your tickets.

Hope this helps.B

If you book with seatran directly in advance YOU NEED TO BE A MEMBER!! if you are not a member or have access to another members membership card, they will not allow you to board the ferry on your booked departure....

So the best way is to book through the ATM. :o

I had to wait a year before i got my membercard....

Book 1-2 days in advance

Hope this helps.B

If you book with seatran directly in advance YOU NEED TO BE A MEMBER!! if you are not a member or have access to another members membership card, they will not allow you to board the ferry on your booked departure....

I sincerely hope this topic doesn't degenerate into a long tedious argument like most seem to do, but I really do want to politely refute these recent posts.

I have booked with Seatran twice in the last two months using the method I described earlier and I am NOT a member, nor did I use anyone elses card, so from MY experience, the OP should have no problem booking.(Flyers giving details of how to book are still available at Nathon and Donsak piers).

Secondly, and I apologise if I am wrong, but I believe that these membership cards were only introduced by Seatran in the latter part of last year so I don't understand how someone has had to wait a year to get one.

Welcome to Samui kevdulounge.

Book 1-2 days in advance

Hope this helps.B

I sincerely hope this topic doesn't degenerate into a long tedious argument like most seem to do, but I really do want to politely refute these recent posts.

I have booked with Seatran twice in the last two months using the method I described earlier and I am NOT a member, nor did I use anyone elses card, so from MY experience, the OP should have no problem booking.(Flyers giving details of how to book are still available at Nathon and Donsak piers).

Secondly, and I apologise if I am wrong, but I believe that these membership cards were only introduced by Seatran in the latter part of last year so I don't understand how someone has had to wait a year to get one.

I agree, no membership necessary. I also have used the phone/bank service many times.

I must be a fast driver, I do the trip in 8-9 hours. My pickup seems to handle the potholes better at speed.

Book 1-2 days in advance

Hope this helps.B

I agree, no membership necessary. I also have used the phone/bank service many times.

I must be a fast driver, I do the trip in 8-9 hours. My pickup seems to handle the potholes better at speed.

And presumably you leave the contents of the flat bed spread from Bangkok to Donsak!!

Book 1-2 days in advance

Hope this helps.B

So the best way is to book through the ATM. :D

And presumably you leave the contents of the flat bed spread from Bangkok to Donsak!!

Didn't know you can get flat beds fitted to pickups, plse advise where I can get one. :o

from MY experience, the OP should have no problem booking.(Flyers giving details of how to book are still available at Nathon and Donsak piers).

Thanks for welcoming me, 'appreciate it! :o

So, tomorrow I will book the 7pm ferry, for next monday... Do you beleive I really have to pay in advance at bank of Ayudhya, or do you think I can do that directly at the pier ? 'Cause in case I arrive too late, I'd hate to have paid for nothing ;-) Unless it's quiet cheap.... How much is it anyways ?

Thank you!

Kevin

So, tomorrow I will book the 7pm ferry, for next monday... Do you beleive I really have to pay in advance at bank of Ayudhya, or do you think I can do that directly at the pier ? 'Cause in case I arrive too late, I'd hate to have paid for nothing ;-) Unless it's quiet cheap.... How much is it anyways ?

The booking saves you to Queue.... the tick' is: 375-. incl. the driver! And just make sure you're there in time... the distance from bangkok to Surat is 660 (approx.) plus 68 to Don Sak Seatran Ferry Pier.

kevdulounge if you want to book in advance you HAVE to pay in advance, like I said you need either the ATM or handwritten bank slip with your phone number and booking number on the slip as proof you have paid before they will give you your ticket.

You will also have to pay an extra 35 baht 'booking fee' at Donsak.

I could be wrong but I think you can only book up to three days in advance, but it's only a phone call to find out anyway.

Make sure you do arrive in time or you not only lose your money but will have to either spend 12 hours waiting for the first morning ferry or drive to Khanom (nearest town) and stay overnight in a hotel

Edited by loiner100

<br />
<br /><br />The booking saves you to Queue.... the tick' is: 375-. incl. the driver! And just make sure you're there in time... the distance from bangkok to Surat is 660 (approx.) plus 68 to Don Sak Seatran Ferry Pier.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I have done the trip about 25 times over the past 4 years, and if you take the direct route it's only 650Kms to the ferry terminal. You can only book a week in advance, so i'd wait until Tuesday to book for the following Monday. If you leave BKK at about 0500, then you'll be clear of it before the rush hour!! You can average about 70KM/hour, I do 85, but thats me, so you can book a ferry at about 4 or 5 o'clock. This will allow refuelling/pee stops, and if it's your first time, you may take a wrong turning going around Surattahani. Welcome to Samui, when you get hear, where will you be staying??

Edited by Eric1949

I have used the ATM booking service a few times and because I was'nt sure what day I was returning on

I left it until the day before I travelled, to book by phone.

I had no trouble whatsoever and also have just reread the leaflet and it says nothing about booking any set amount of days in advance.

Also I am not a member either.

Good luck on Samui Kevdelounge, I am just leaving Samui in March for pastures new.

Hi All,

I will be going from Phuket to Don Sak this Sunday.

Is Raja Ferry :D still going as I prefer them to "Seatran". :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. Will be driving my car BTW and on my own. :o

Edited by Kan Win

Raja is still operating.

Same advice as before though, although you could make the last ferry, there are sometimes long queues for the last ferry of the day especially Sunday night and you would be stuck there overnight, and could be around 40 lorries bringing building materials etc. queueing for the first Monday morning ferry.

As I said in a previous post I have actually booked the ferry by phone whilst driving down from Bangkok on the same day, however some posters are still insisting it is a week in advance so I have just telephoned seatran and had it confirmed that you can book up to 3 hours before the due ferry. If anyone else wants to argue this point further then the seatran number is 077-251-555, and I suggest you check first.

As I said in a previous post I have actually booked the ferry by phone whilst driving down from Bangkok on the same day, however some posters are still insisting it is a week in advance so I have just telephoned seatran and had it confirmed that you can book up to 3 hours before the due ferry. If anyone else wants to argue this point further then the seatran number is 077-251-555, and I suggest you check first.

Be aware that there are only a fixed number on each ferry that can be booked.

One time I called seatran for getting a booked ticket at 12.00 ferry, 3 hours before.

All the pre-booked spots on every ferry that day was already booked.

Ended up waiting 5 hours in Donsak.

If that is aimed at me - I meant you can book up to a week in advance, not that you had to book a week in advance.

Thanks for clarifying that Thai Bairn, with both of our points now established we all now know the full picture.

Hope you didnt take my post the wrong way, as we were talking about how soon before the ferry time that you could book, I assumed your comment was on the same track. Also there were a couple of posts before yours that were claiming the same thing. :o