The Best Khao Soi In Cm

Crow Boy

The Great Khao Soi poll  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just Khao Soi for me - at least it was, as I haven't been in a few years. I was a Khao Soi addict, so whenever an evening meal called for something other than street food/shophouse environs, I'd try and drag the group there. I just loved the huge servings and high quality chicken (though I don't really mind gristle and sinewy stuff too much) and curry soup. The price is 10 times what you could pay but hey, it's good.

As I said, I haven't been there in a while. Has the quality gone down, or are posters just more into less ostentatious surroundings?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I like the Muslim places too. But if I wanted to be sure that there would be some actual meat on the bone and no stray toenails or pubes in the soup (Thai taste?), I would go for Just Khao Soi.

I agree with the earlier poster who bemoaned the lack of good Khao Soi in BK - you northern monkeys are lucky I tells yer!

I would mention Kao Soi Suthasinee on Chang Klan Rd. near Chiangmai Land and Kao Soi Hor located Chareon Prathed Soi 1. There are really original tests.

I haven't tried the first but the one second one on the corner of Charoen Prathaet and soi 1 is good. It is almost directly opposite to the small iron bridge and about 12 staggering paces from Guitarman and even less from the White Lotus.

CB

Just Khao Soi has always been a farang taste to we locals. Too bland. I love the set up, love the place, love the way the food is presented, and like taking farang guests there, but as a Thai it has to be the Muslim kao sois or the ones by pa daad.

I agree. The clientele is almost 100% farang. I've been twice with Thai friends, both remarked about how odd it is to serve khao soi with coconut cream (ka-ti) on the side. They understood the intention (allowing the customer to make their khao soi more creamy if desired) but they registered slight disgust at the thought of uncooked ka-ti being served at the table, the implication being it should be cooked into the broth, not added afterwards.

Just Khao Soi has always been a farang taste to we locals. Too bland. I love the set up, love the place, love the way the food is presented, and like taking farang guests there, but as a Thai it has to be the Muslim kao sois or the ones by pa daad.

I agree. The clientele is almost 100% farang. I've been twice with Thai friends, both remarked about how odd it is to serve khao soi with coconut cream (ka-ti) on the side. They understood the intention (allowing the customer to make their khao soi more creamy if desired) but they registered slight disgust at the thought of uncooked ka-ti being served at the table, the implication being it should be cooked into the broth, not added afterwards.

At Just Khao Soi the customer has the choice of having a coconut or not style broth. The coconut milk and cream are added at different stages in the cooking process with the cream added at the end to avoid curdling and discolouring. The purpose of the additional coconut milk on the palette is for people to adjust the taste and texture. Adding extra coconut milk at the eating stage will help to cut the heat of the Khao Soi. Personally I prefer mine without the coconut milk which is to my taste less cloying and allows the other flavours to develop.

One place I do miss unless it has moved and I can't find it is the Khao Soi shop near the Prince Royal School. For a long time it had a reputation as being one if not the best Khao Soi in CM. It was my preferred place and I would usually opt for the Extra Special - more of everything for 30 Baht

CB