Re Entery Permit

Actually a re-entry permit has nothing to do with visas. It will be valid until the expiration of your current permitted to stay. Be that directly from a visa entry or an extension of stay. The date put on the re-entry permit will be the same date currently stamped in your passport for your permitted to stay until.

Actually a re-entry permit has nothing to do with visas. It will be valid until the expiration of your current permitted to stay. Be that directly from a visa entry or an extension of stay. The date put on the re-entry permit will be the same date currently stamped in your passport for your permitted to stay until.

Thanks for the heads up! Would I be taking a chance to get the permit at the airport on the day of departure?

I always advise getting it early but if you allow an extra half hour and have the photos it should not be a problem at airport (done after checking in for flight only). But I prefer to have it done early as have enough trouble finding my tickets/passport/departure card on flight days.

I've done it about 6 times before departure at airport. Airlines only let us check in 2 hours before flight time. I'm one of the first people who are in queue (to check in). If not I can be late for my flight.

Next is to take the form to fill in, stick the photo to it, submit with the fee, wait for half an hour.

No time to look at duty free shops at Suvarnabhumi as it's a long walk to the gate.

But I find it time saving as I don't live in Bangkok. I arrive at airport 3 hours before flight.

greenmember, thank you for this detailed report. It confirms what I have seen Lopburi telling everybody who inquired about getting the re-entry permit at BKK airport: “allow extra time”

In your case, the extra time you needed was 30 minutes. At other times, it might me less or it might more, the difficult part being that one never knows how much time it will really consume. You played it safe and your procedure is recommendable for others: start queuing at the check-in counter well before the counter opens, so that you will be one of the first to check in.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro. I want to add that I often see 3, 4 people filling in the Re-entry forms at a time and those having no pen look so funny :D

I've read many posts by lopburi3 and he's very helpful. However I giggle when he says he has trouble finding "tickets/passport/departure card on flight days" :o Men are still men I bet :D . Aren't these things with you all the time before you depart? :D

Just get it when you get your visa / extension of stay renewed. The Immigration Department haver your passport at that time anyway, so you may as well get them to do it while they're doing everything else. Saves an extra trip to Immigration, or having to worry about remembering it when you're at the airport.

Just get it when you get your visa / extension of stay renewed. The Immigration Department haver your passport at that time anyway, so you may as well get them to do it while they're doing everything else. Saves an extra trip to Immigration, or having to worry about remembering it when you're at the airport.

This is new to me and sounds great. Did you actually do it? I guess we just write whatever dates (going out and coming back) we can think of for the sake of form completion.

At airport, the ridiculous thing is you must have the boarding pass before you can submit the application form. Sitting there and completing the form takes 5-10 minutes.

Lopburi, it's not that complicated :o . Knowing you must do the Re-entry, you will put them in one place.

This is new to me and sounds great. Did you actually do it? I guess we just write whatever dates (going out and coming back) we can think of for the sake of form completion.

Yes, well actually our lawyer always does it so I just have a bunch of papers to sign, and my passport comes back with all relevant stamps and so-on in place, so not sure which dates are filled, in but would guess it's all just randomised as you suggest.

Actually, for the re-entry permit, I always get the 4,000 Baht unlimited entries stamp: if you know you'll be leaving Thailand at least 4 times then better to get this so that you have a whole year of never having to worry about re-entry permits. Or even if you're unsure but know it'll "probably" be more than once, then you could get the mult-entry one anyway. After all it's only 4,000 Baht against, say, 2,000 Baht if you only leave twice, so not exactly breaking the bank for a year's worth of peace of mind.

Actually, for the re-entry permit, I always get the 4,000 Baht unlimited entries stamp: if you know you'll be leaving Thailand at least 4 times then better to get this so that you have a whole year of never having to worry about re-entry permits. Or even if you're unsure but know it'll "probably" be more than once, then you could get the mult-entry one anyway. After all it's only 4,000 Baht against, say, 2,000 Baht if you only leave twice, so not exactly breaking the bank for a year's worth of peace of mind.

Actually it is even better value as the multi entry costs 3,800 Baht. :o

Lopburi, it's not that complicated biggrin.gif . Knowing you must do the Re-entry, you will put them in one place.

I don't believe I have ever said it was complicated. But is it another thing to do if done on departure and I would prefer less things that can go wrong at that time. Worry about taxi to airport being on time, worry that you are not in a line that takes an hour to obtain boarding pass, worry that you can find photo for re-entry permit, filling out the extra form, worry that the departure immigration line will take forever (it often does), worry getting to gate/through security checks will take too long. Yes, I am an infrequent air traveler (which would never do so if there were an alternative) and don't like extra concerns when being treated as the next world trade terrorist in the making by security officers. Much better to take the extra hour or two and make the permit early for me.

If this desk was assessable before check-in I would always use it (arrive early) but as check-in is time controlled and you never know how long it will take do not trust 'time' to be on my side. As we age time seems to move much faster than we do.

Thank you Maestro and dantilley.

Lopburi, you're right about many things to worry on departure day.

Here is what I understand after reading everybody's posts in this thread and reading http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=fee:

1. I'll submit "Application for extension of temporary stay" for my Non-Immigrant visa having a Thai husband. I'll be allowed to stay in Thailand for another year. Fee: 1,900 Baht.

2. I then apply for multiple entries for Re-entry Permit. Fee: 3,800 Baht

3. Each time I go out of Thailand in that one year, after checking in with airlines, I just go straight to Immigration line. No need to sit at the Re-entry table.

Question: is there such a thing that in step 1, I pay 3,800 Baht and no need to do the Re-entry?

Thank you

It is always a two-step process and only completion of the first step, ie the extension of stay, qualifies you to apply for the re-entry permit. It is always separate forms for the two steps. In a big immigrations office like Suan Phlu in Bankgok, different officers in different rooms, perhaps even on different floors of the building, deal with the two different applications. In a small office, it might well be the same office handling both applications.

--

Maestro

I always advise getting it early but if you allow an extra half hour and have the photos it should not be a problem at airport (done after checking in for flight only). But I prefer to have it done early as have enough trouble finding my tickets/passport/departure card on flight days.

Are re-entry visas available at border crossings?

I plan to be travelling into Malaysia out of Satun. Can I apply for re-entry at the same time that I check-out?

Are re-entry visas available at border crossings?

I plan to be travelling into Malaysia out of Satun. Can I apply for re-entry at the same time that I check-out?

As far as I'm aware, no you can't. Only at immigration offices or Bangkok airport. (Perhaps other International airports too? But not sure on this point.)

Land border crossings, though, I'm pretty sure don't provide this service.

Land border crossing are normally under an immigration office that can if not co-located. My old LP says the office is located on the pier.

OK, thank you, I didn't realise that, it's good to know.

What's the procedure then, you go to the exit kiosk and explain that you need a re-entry permit and they then co-ordinate with the immigration office (when not co-located), or will they send you off to make the trip on your own and then come back, thus necessitating a trip to the office beforehand for those who want to be prepared?

And do you know which immigration offices are co-located with a border crossing point? If you don't have a definitive list, a couple of examples would be useful I think.

Thanks!

This appears to be co-located. Believe Nong Khai is a bit before the bridge so probably not co-located. It is not up to immigration to advise you a re-entry permit is required so be sure you always obtain before you start the stamp out process. I have never obtained at a land crossing but am sure if you mention they will tell you want to do. Believe most crossings have someone that can issue but I would advise having before travel just as I do when travel is by airport.