Jokes That Only Work In Thai

sutnyod

Hi,

being not very good at remembering jokes I sometimes have to tell some. What comes to mind most often are the ones that work only in one language. For instance Thai. I'd be interested in your personal joke-collection, but only those that must be told in Thai.

Like this very old one "Luuk Farang tok rot" ... and was run over by the following car.... Was not edible after that!

Did you come across some?

Edited by sutnyod

What does a female cat say? Meeeeoooow. What does a male cat say? "Ooooow" (Say meeooow like Mai Ow)

Actually, this joke does work in English, but not really the same way. I tell the joke as if it was funny in English and wait for the quizzical looks... then I say, "yeah, but it's REALLY FUNNY in Thai!"

Edited by CuriousGeorge77

Well, I once heard a male Farang asking a Thai woman: คุณชอบดูหนังฝรั่งไหม She answered ชอบคะ Then he pointed to the skin of his nud_e arm and said: นี่หนังฝรั่ง

(หนัง means both movie and skin)

Edited by chinnotes

What does a female cat say? Meeeeoooow. What does a male cat say? "Ooooow" (Say meeooow like Mai Ow)"

Ha, that reminds me of a joke that works in Lao only, but not in Thai. A Lao stays in the Thai countryside. In the quiet village morning he hears a female voice crying Oiiiii, Ooooooiiiiii. And then a male one: "Khao Phoooooooot, Khao Phooooot". And again the female: "Ooooooiiiiii, Ooooooooiiiii" and again: "Khao Phoooooot, khao phooooot". He starts thinking dirty thoughts, but then he sees she is a sugar cane trader, he a corn seller.

Y'all get it?

มีคนอยู่สองร้อยคน คนที่เท่าไหร่เป็นคนอีสาน kon tii tao rai bpen kon isan

คนที่ร้อยเอ็ด kon tii roi et

When I go to the fruit market I purposely avoid the guava-seller because, without fail, she cackles loudly to her fellow fruit-mongers, "Ah FARANG chawp FARANG!" No matter how many times she does it, it always gets a round of laughter (must be a boring job).

Hi,

being not very good at remembering jokes I sometimes have to tell some. What comes to mind most often are the ones that work only in one language. For instance Thai. I'd be interested in your personal joke-collection, but only those that must be told in Thai.

Like this very old one "Luuk Farang tok rot" ... and was run over by the following car.... Was not edible after that!

Did you come across some?

This is a real school kid joke ,but Thais seem to love. What do you call a Deer with no eyes? No Eye Dear. What do you call a dear with no eyes and no legs? Still no eye deer. Made me laugh 20 years ago. Just read your message again. You wanted only Thai ones. Sorry. I will leave it anyway.

ถาม:ที่สี่แยก ไฟแดงมีกี่สี

ถาม:ที่สี่แยก ไฟแดงมีกี่สี how many colours does a traffic light have?

ตอบ:ไฟแดงมีสี่เดียว a traffic light only has one colour.

in thai ไฟแดง (fai deng) means red light but thais also use ไฟแดง for traffic light.

Well, I once heard a male Farang asking a Thai woman: คุณชอบดูหนังฝรั่งไหม She answered ชอบคะ Then he pointed to the skin of his nud_e arm and said: นี่หนังฝรั่ง

(หนัง means both movie and skin)

Told this one in the office on Friday, had everyone in stiches! Great joke, it's so hidden and subtle, Thanks!

ช้างกลัวอะไรที่สุด? (chang glua arai tee sood?)

- What are elephants most afraid of?

ฉิ่ง (ching) เพราะ "... ฉ. ฉิ่งตีดัง ช. ช้างวิ่งหนี..." (chor ching dtee dang, chor chang wing nee)

- finger cymbals, because in the Thai alphabet poem, it says ".. when the cymbals (ching) clash loudly, the elephant (chang) runs away.."

• 15 years later...