Thai Law For Foreigners

Mapguy

I have come across a valuable book I think is definitely worth knowing about:

Thai Law for Foreigners, Paiboon Publishing, Copyright 2008. ISBN: 978-1-887521-57-4

This is a very comprehensive introduction to Thai law written in very clear English and Thai.

Major parts include:

History, Government Structure, and Judicial System of Thailand

Legal Procedures

Personal and Family Matters (Marriage, Adoption, Domestic Violence, Divorce,

Making a Will, Dying in Thailand, et al)

Living in Thailand (renting an apartment or a House, Driving, Working, et al)

Reference

Forms

It is an interesting read as well as a very practical book. At the very least, you'll be able to ask more intelligent questions of your lawyer when you need assistance.

And for those who haven't been paying attention there is an interesting essay on a typical day in a Thai prison plus statistics on foreigners held in the Thai prison system.

Thai Law for Foreigners, Paiboon Publishing, Copyright 2008. ISBN: 978-1-887521-57-4

This is a very comprehensive introduction to Thai law written in very clear English and Thai.

Major parts include:

Legal Procedures

Reference

Forms

It is an interesting read as well as a very practical book. At the very least, you'll be able to ask more intelligent questions of your lawyer when you need assistance.

And for those who haven't been paying attention there is an interesting essay on a typical day in a Thai prison plus statistics on foreigners held in the Thai prison system.

Where can one buy this book?

Cheers :o

Major parts include:

Legal Procedures

Reference

Forms

Where can one buy this book?

Cheers :o

I saw that book for sale at either one of the book shops by the Tha Phae Gate or the large one on Loi Kroh Road about half way down. I think it was the one on Loi Kroh Road. It was a very comprehensive book loaded with valuable information.

Some More usefull THAI LAW links Which are Printable:

The First is the US Library of Congress and Has Most Country's Law in the World if You Just

Go into the index:

http://www.loc.gov/law/help/guide.html

http://www.thailawforum.com/journal.html

And Then a Simple "Googling" goes far:

http://www.google.co.th/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

Good Luck!

In fact these books are nice to read but law cannot be read as a novel. It takes a lawyer about half a year to be able to read and understand the articles.

Many times people tried to translate law into some kind of laymens language. Without any succes. The words in law articles can only be read in one way. That is what makes it difficult. It is the lawyers language.

Besides that, there are court rulings which are more important than the law because these rulings explains almost every word in an article.

So at the end you need someone to explain you the law, and you will be lucky if this lawyer also Knows the law!

I think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of the book. It is not intended to replace a four/five year university degree plus many years of practice. It is intended as an overview of Thai Law and how some of the parts affect foreigners living or even visiting this country. To use your analogy it would be useless to purchase a Thai phrase book or text book and learn some Thai simply because they will not replace a lifetime of living here and having Thai as a mother tongue.

In my experience - going to any professional including a lawyer with a basic understanding of the situation makes a much easier task for both. People with medical conditions frequently spend considerable time researching it so that they can discuss with a modicum of knowledge their condition, the treatment and possible alternatives. Anything less is in my opinion putting yourself at the mercy of others - something I am not personally willing to do.

What I would not advise is to use the book as a sole source of information about Thai Law but then I don't use the one text book out of context from the real world as my guide to the language.

my 2c worth provide foc which may be what it is worth.

CB

As is often the case, I agree with Crowboy completely.

It is like doing research before purchasing something. You have a much better chance of ending up with what you really want, instead of learning what you really want next time. :o

And I agree with Crowboy and UG. In the original post I did not mean at all to suggest that this book is a "do-it-yourself" book although the forms are tempting.

Now, to seque to obtaining good legal advice in Chinag Mai. That is not easy. There are limitations, some severe, of many lawyers in experience, legal expertise and language ability. This has been explained in a simple way to me by an apparently competent Thai lawyer. At least his opinion matched my painful learning process. That lawyer's opinion was that, especially for expatriate clients, Chiang Mai really has lawyers with provincial mind sets, inadequate education and training, and limited experience. That was not meant as a slam against the legal community; just his realistic assessment. After all, Chiang Mai is hardly the "Big Apple!"

Back to the book, I would say that some of the suggestions made and the forms provided --- say, in family law --- might reflect a simple process. An example is the writing of an advance health care directive. Pretty straight forward stuff in Thailand, but you had better have your family here and abroad on board! Wills can be fairly simple or quite complex. But don't try it alone or you might not achieve what you wish. And so on...

I have begged the question regarding naming experienced lawyers with sufficient legal and language skills. My suggestion is to beware of lists and club sponsors--- they are not always valid endorsements; normally just marketing material. But start with the lists, interview lawyers, and talk it around in detail with others. Always remember that some lawyers are better at some tasks than others. Business law is quite different than family law, for example.

One previously unmentioned benefit of the book is that in reading it, it might keep you out of trouble long enough to go find the lawyer you need!

Good luck!

I have begged the question regarding naming experienced lawyers with sufficient legal and language skills. My suggestion is to beware of lists and club sponsors--- they are not always valid endorsements; normally just marketing material. But start with the lists, interview lawyers, and talk it around in detail with others. Always remember that some lawyers are better at some tasks than others. Business law is quite different than family law, for example.

One previously unmentioned benefit of the book is that in reading it, it might keep you out of trouble long enough to go find the lawyer you need!

Good luck!

I and several members of the CM forum have had dealings with a particularly good lawyer. He speaks excellent English and is a lecturer at University. He has helped us in a diverse number of cases.

If you or anyone are interested please send me a PM for the contact details.

Regards

CB

Good luck!

I and several members of the CM forum have had dealings with a particularly good lawyer. He speaks excellent English and is a lecturer at University. He has helped us in a diverse number of cases.

Regards

CB

I just keep out of trouble CB, then I don't need a lawyer... good or bad. :o:D :D

Good luck!

Regards

CB

I just keep out of trouble CB, then I don't need a lawyer... good or bad. :o:D :D

The situation here was an extremely complicated division of land with common entrance between two houses. It was done very well and I am happy to recommend. I have received a PM from one person interested and will reply tomorrow morning after I find the business card.

Good to see you down here mate - missed ya

CB