500 Baht Dialup Or 590 Baht Adsl

ThaiLife

At the moment I am using a dial up internet connection, by buying the pay as you go

Cards ( from True, Csloxinfo, JiNet ) normally I buy the 30 Days unlimited cards

For around 350 Baht , taking into consideration the card cost and due to the constant line drop off problems , at 3 baht per re connection , my normal Monthly connection

Cost is around 500 Baht or so. I could get a TOT ADSL package for around 590 Baht a Month , I am wondering this..

If I sign up for a TOT ADSL connection at 590 Baht per Month , and then experience

Say a lower connection speed than advertised, but the speed is still better that I am currently getting on my dial up connection ( around 44Kbps ) does ADSL suffer from the connection dropping off ,the same as I am having now with a dial up connection, if ADSL does not drop off, then would it be better for me to pay 590 Baht for a ADSL connection , even if the speed is not what I pay for , but better than my dial up connection speed, as I would not suffer the line drop off syndrome ?.

Thanks

First, for a high-speed Internet connection you need a direct line to you living space. If you can, there is nothing better then ADSL.

Comparing ADSL with other countries, is as the “grass of the neighbors is greener” we have houses all neighboring countries and nothing is most faster. With the only difference of Singapore where the speed of the world seems to fly. (cost something more and censure is higher…)

Sorry but that is a 'no brainer' question.

ADSL

1 meg connection instead of 56K.

Sometimes you will fail to synchronise, but maybe only for half an hour. If a dial up fails there's another 3 baht down the drain

Sometimes your speed will be below 1meg, but always above 56k

And you get your phone line back.

PS I've just discovered that 'no brainer' means you don't have to think about it, When Donald romsfelt used it I thought it meant the opposite!

Mobile phone should give you around 100K real world speed and is about 200 baht per month for 50 hours. Better than normal dial up but not as good as ADSL (most of the time - I have seen my ADSL go to sub-dial up speeds on occasion).

You should choose dial-up

The dial-in platform is hardly used anymore and starts to get dusty. The Thai engineer operating this platform is getting really bored but is also afraid of loosing his job, as his boss can come in any minute telling him to pull the plug and go home.

And this guy has a wife and 3 kids. Who are hungry every day.

So be compasionate! Use Dial-up! Make a difference!

And when the slow speed annoys you, think about this family that still have food on their table thanks to the brave dial-up customers.

Sorry but that is a 'no brainer' question.

ADSL

1 meg connection instead of 56K.

Sometimes you will fail to synchronise, but maybe only for half an hour. If a dial up fails there's another 3 baht down the drain

Sometimes your speed will be below 1meg, but always above 56k

And you get your phone line back.

PS I've just discovered that 'no brainer' means you don't have to think about it, When Donald romsfelt used it I thought it meant the opposite!

This may not be the "No Brainer" that it may first appear. My ADSL speed has degraded over the past two years to

average about 2 (yes, that is TWO) KB/s. Sometimes it is faster and many times it won't work at all. My three neighbors have the same situation and we have downgraded our TOT ADSL to 590 baht per month. We are happier paying essentially half as much for essentially nothing.

Just a question from some one who is also on a ' dial up ' internet connection and never used ADSL , do you guy's who are on ADSL ever get what we dial up users call a line drop off, Does your ADSL connection just stops working,

for periods of time or is it your ADSL connection still work but your speeds are reduced,... just wanted to Know..? :o

For Mumbo Jumbo, yes. ADSL is not perfect.

Sometimes I get nothing through for a minute or two, or maybe an hour. All looks fine but nothing comes. Then it starts coming again. Normally you don't have to do anything, things start happening or the connection is automatically re-made. Since the system is 'always on' you tend not to notice drop-outs or dropped connections unless you are sitting watching a download on P2P.

In the evenings things tend to be slower. one meg connection works great in the morning. By the evening it can be about 200 K. But sometimes the early evening is perfect.

Usually I go weeks without any real complaints.

The great thing is it is always on, no waiting for dial up to connect!

Better off with the ADSL - if only because you don't pay 3 baht to reconnect, and you get back the use of your phone line as a regular phone line.

It is nominally an always on connection, but I know True tends to drop the connection every so often to recycle IP addresses, but if you have a router, it can be set up to reconnect automatically, so it's only an issue if you were in the middle of a big download, or were connected to a VPN or something, where you'll lost the connection. (which is annoying).

Speed-wise, you should never be that much slower than dialup, and will sometimes be a lot faster.

At the moment I am using a dial up internet connection, by buying the pay as you go

Cards ( from True, Csloxinfo, JiNet ) normally I buy the 30 Days unlimited cards

For around 350 Baht , taking into consideration the card cost and due to the constant line drop off problems , at 3 baht per re connection , my normal Monthly connection

Cost is around 500 Baht or so. I could get a TOT ADSL package for around 590 Baht a Month , I am wondering this..

If I sign up for a TOT ADSL connection at 590 Baht per Month , and then experience

Say a lower connection speed than advertised, but the speed is still better that I am currently getting on my dial up connection ( around 44Kbps ) does ADSL suffer from the connection dropping off ,the same as I am having now with a dial up connection, if ADSL does not drop off, then would it be better for me to pay 590 Baht for a ADSL connection , even if the speed is not what I pay for , but better than my dial up connection speed, as I would not suffer the line drop off syndrome ?.

Thanks

Well how about the third option, with no telephone line, just a wireless USB modem from Cat Telecom. I pay 630 Baht/month for a reliable 450kbs download speed - more on a good day.

http://www.catcdma.com/product/c-motech.html

http://www.contactcenter.cattelecom.com/th...nfo.asp#anchor6