Butterfly Swim Technique

Rhys

OK... to the swimmers out there...

For three months, I have trained to butterfly down the 50 meter lane.. only to come up short the last ten meters. Yes, I have done all the drills, yes, it is a technique event, yes, I have viewed the video..

Are there any strategies that you have used to make the last 10 meters..

Just curious, where are you swimming in a fifty meter pool and what is the cost?

It is hard to say without seeing you do it. Maybe you just aren't in good enough shape.

Well I would suggest that you bury your head deep and really reach out front, that will bring your hips up.

ps how old are you? careful you don't injure a shoulder doing this.

Edited by zzdocxx

The pool is at a University in the South of Thailand. Cost 20 baht for staff, and 40 baht for non-staff. The age of the swimmer is 52. In swimming shape. Fly Technique wise, thumbs down, so hips go down, arms at shoulder width., 2-1 breathing pattern, reach out yes, long and try to relax in between... It has just been the timing. Soon, I will have to race this.. I have given this stroke more practice in my workouts. This is taper week, thus, I'm just working on technique and starts..

Just a thought... I only have to swim 50 meters of fly for this event.

Off the dive, that is 5-7 meters of free momentum, then about 1-3 meters of kicking..I could possible could do this, and not embarrass myself...The Free, back, and breast are fine and ready to rock..

Thanks.. Cheers Rhys

Edited by Rhys

OK... to the swimmers out there...

For three months, I have trained to butterfly down the 50 meter lane.. only to come up short the last ten meters. Yes, I have done all the drills, yes, it is a technique event, yes, I have viewed the video..

Are there any strategies that you have used to make the last 10 meters..

Your legs baby, your legs.

Get that kick driving your upper body out of the water into high gear that last ten meters.

Also, be sure to be fluid and smooth in the beginning as to pace yourself for the strong finish. If your timing is incorrect and you are not smooth, yes, you'll run out of gas before you hit the finish.

Best of luck !!

Thanks Huggybear,

I was practicing my kicking.. I had one of the staff count and take a look at my form, He motioned that my kick was at 4 beats per stroke.. As a result, I burn out. I tried his two count kick and it felt awkward, and the form broke down... I'm kicking from the hips, I make sure the up kick is equal, the head enters first before the arms for rythym. YET, I am still short by 10 meters before I stop.

I have about a week more to figure this out... then the race. The way I'm flying now, I can make 40 meters, but each technique adjustment has helped.

Gliding in..

Cheers Mate

Thanks Huggybear,

I was practicing my kicking.. I had one of the staff count and take a look at my form, He motioned that my kick was at 4 beats per stroke.. As a result, I burn out. I tried his two count kick and it felt awkward, and the form broke down... I'm kicking from the hips, I make sure the up kick is equal, the head enters first before the arms for rythym. YET, I am still short by 10 meters before I stop.

I have about a week more to figure this out... then the race. The way I'm flying now, I can make 40 meters, but each technique adjustment has helped.

Gliding in..

Cheers Mate

O.K., well lets talk about your breathing then.

How many strokes are you doing before you take a breath? Are you over breathing in the end because you are gassed?

In your workouts are you swimming the pool underwater? This should help with your endurance.

When I was in peak swimming form (years ago) we had a smaller pool nearby (25 meters) where we had to swim underwater, jump out do ten pushups, then swim back underwater, out, ten pushups..........ten times.

Smooth it out in the beginning, breath comforatably, but when you hit that last ten (if you can) don't breath. Head down, legs driving your shoulders and arms out.

Good luck ! Remember, winners get the chicks :o

H-Bear.. thanks for the comments.. Breathing.. Doing lung busters often.. For fly breathing, I try not Push the head out too much, just enough clearance to get a quick breathe.. a bit like sneaking a breathe. I have been using the GLIDE in practice more.. I may have to use this in the last ten.. Underwater kicking about 12.5 meters to the second pole.

The Thai Swim Coach came and took a look at me.. Said the form was fine, I just don't have the endurance. I was only able to fly about 35 meters.. All Fly and not butterstuggle... I'm just worried, I may have to butterstuggle it in the race, and I don't look forward to that. I have been focussing on Extending outward not down.. seems to help.

It just seem like this might be a psychological struggle right now. I feel the rhythm fine. I need to swim 50 meters of Fly in Practice, before the race..

Strokes per breathe.. the 2 / 1 .. standard

You mentioned that you are taking 4 kicks per stroke and that you are uncomfortable with the timing of 2 kicks per stroke....

However, as I understand it, fly is a 2:1 kick to stroke ratio and this maintains the body momentum between strokes...

Waiting for 4 kicks might allow the upper torso to sink into the water just that little bit more and with fatigue create more difficulty getting ‘arms over ‘ towards the end of the length. Also, making sure the chin touches the chest with the head down on the arm stroke permits an easier stroke.

When tired out, A cheat that not an illegal stroke is breathing to one side… As the body tires, less effort is required to breath turning the head, rather than lifting the head.

When doing short distances I used to breathe less (3:1) and when I was close to the end I'd try and do 4 strokes without breathing. When your hands come under the water make a keyhole shape to get extra push. I was 15 years younger when I used to do it so don't fancy my chances today.

At 52, I'm still in reasonable shape... The focus of swimming: Reduce my BP and I have always enjoyed swim workouts. Hmmm, maybe I'll try the 3:1 early in the race, then switch... then at the 35 mark, 2:1, then start gliding when I'm in the CHALLENGE meters. Side breathing, on those intervals..hhhhmmm.... I'll try in warm-up..

Well, I'm off to the race now.. Thanks for the advice, tips, and comments. I trust I'll make the 50 meters, I just need to do. I have analyzed the technique... a little bit too much.

Cheers Mates.. Back in two weeks. Keeping the S motion...

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is over and done.. The 50 meter Butterfly.. I finished the race... and to boot.. I came in Third of a field of 5 of 51 and over... I think, the axis butterfly drills helped the most.. 5 strokes breast or Free, then switch to Fly..

Thanks.. Now.. Working on speed... Cheers.. Thanks mates..