Registering Wife With Doctor (uk)

hello there,

just wandering if anyone could give me a little advice,

My wife will be arriving in England this wednesday and i'm just wandering how to go about getting her registered with a doctor and dentist or if she will be allowed to register or not, if anyone who has been through this process any info would be appreciated. thanks alot.

p.s can i also get some info on what we have to do after her 2 year visa is up, how is it possible for her to get full citezenship?

thankyou again!

John Cook

Hi Cookie,

its easy. Ring up your doctor and she will be registered there and then. She will also recieve her Medical Card from the hospital/doctor. As for the bank, my bank the abbey did not let my Wife have an account for 6 months, dont know about the others.

After your Settlement visa expires you have to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, check here for info.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresiden...plicationtypes/

Goodlcuk buddy and try and keep the faith it gets hard! :o

Goodlcuk buddy and try and keep the faith it gets hard! :o

Just to give an alternative point of view, I believe once you have cleared the first hurdle and you have Cookie, you continue to do the hard yards, do not impinge on any rules and follow the relevant guidelines, in my opinion, it gets easier.

Moss

As well as all the good advice above, get your mrs on as many utility bills etc as quickly as you can. This will help in 2 years when you go for ILR and it will help with opening a Bank account. We opened a Nationwide Flex account (free withdrawls abroad), we did it on-line and just had to go into the branch to show passport and her name on a utility bill.

I'm not too sure on any statistics cookie but if you follow the guidelines and make sure your documentation is in order, there shouldn't be any reason for a refusal.

There are many threads on here about what you need, start collating your paperwork NOW. I can't stress that enough. Good luck.

how often does indefinate leave to remain get refused? is this another big hurdle to jump after the 18 month struggle i had obtaining her visa?

The figures for 2006 are 110,530 ILR applications.

Refusals under the spouse/partner heading were:

Relationship terminated 300.

Refused despite domestic violence 220.

Clearly all 520 are failed relationships.I can only guess about the 220 'violence' refusals but perhaps this means the authorities did not believe the allegation??????

Anyway as long as you are still together and you collect as many bits of paper as possible and apply during the correct time frame you should be fine.

Good luck.

Anyway as long as you are still together and you collect as many bits of paper as possible and apply during the correct time frame you should be fine.

Absolutely.

And don't forget cookieneedshelp, she has to pass the Life In The UK test or do the ESOL with citizenship course. :o

Edited by mrbojangles

hello there,

just wandering if anyone could give me a little advice,

My wife will be arriving in England this wednesday and i'm just wandering how to go about getting her registered with a doctor and dentist or if she will be allowed to register or not, if anyone who has been through this process any info would be appreciated. thanks alot.

p.s can i also get some info on what we have to do after her 2 year visa is up, how is it possible for her to get full citezenship?

thankyou again!

John Cook

Hi Cookie,

Congratulations, the hard bit is out of the way for you, having been in your situation a couple of years ago and with hindsight I would do the following to make life easier for your wife in obtaining the ILR and the followup Citizenship etc.

1. Get the wife registered with your Doctor AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFER SHE ARRIVES, PLEASE DO NOT JUST REGISTER HER TOUGH, PLEASE ENSURE SHE VISITS THE DR PERSONALLY SO WHEN YOU NEED A PROFESSIONAL PERSONS SIGNATURE WHEN YOUR WIFE APPLIES FOR CTIZENSHIP THE DOCTOR WILL BE ABLE TO CONFIRM SHE IS KNOWN TO THE DOCTOR FOR THAT PERIOD.

2. GET THE GAS, ELECTRIC AND OTHER UTILITY BILLSTRANSFERED INTO HER NAME ( OR JOINT IF YOU PREFER).

3.INTROUDUCE YOUR WIFE TO YOUR SOLIITOR, OR A MINISTER OF A CHURCH, OR OTHER PROFESSIONALS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AS A BACK UP FOR THE DOCTORS SIGNATURE IF IT BECOMES NECESSARY.

4. OPEN UP A BUILDING SOCIETY OR BANK ACCOUNT ( WHY NOT BOTH?) IN HER NAME ASAP.

5. ENROL YOUR WIFE ON A ESL COURSE AT THE LOCAL COLLEGE TO BEGIN IN SEPTEMBER, AND GET A COPY OF THE BOOK FOR THE CITIZENSHIP TEST NOW AND DO 15 MINS A DAY ( ANYMORE AND SHE WILL LIKELY GET BORED) UNTIL SHE TAKES THE TEST IN A FEW YEARS TIME.

all of the above are easily forgotten or put off for a later date, and will cause inconvienence and stress for you both if you dont get these foundations in correctly first, not difficult learning form someone elses mistakes is always prefferable.

All thebest to you and your wife in your new life in the uk, its not that cold at the moment anyway!

Roygsd

When i left the UK 2 years ago there was an amazing device called the Telephone, you could call your doctor,dentist,bank from the comfort of your living room, Do they still have this?

• 3 weeks later...

The GP is easy - especially if you go along.

I didn't go along with hubby and there are six GP practices in one building - he asked at each one if that was where I was registered at ( I told him which one it was) and the receptionists had great fun trying to subtely tell him which on to go to without 'breaking' confidentiality! lol!

As for Bank - basic bank account is easy enough - all high street banks offer these mainly for people on benefits or just starting out. Hubby got this and after 6 months they upgraded him to a Visa Electron and then another six months later he was upgraded to a full all singing all dancing acount. The basic was fine - accepted wages, DD etc just didn't have a debit card. A basic bank account does not need a credit check so is less hassle. There is also savings accounts - again no credit checks so your wife does not needa history here. Hubby had a bsica bank account and savings account within a month.

I agree about getting bills in joint names - but it's not always easy as a lot of utility companies are difficult but council tax will have you both and gradually you can start to build things.

Your wife can't apply for a British passport for at least three years so don't be panicking about her meeting people to singe her passport app just yet - there is a lot to do but you have passed the hardest part IMHO the ILR application was a walk in the park compared to the settlement ...and 9 weeks faster lol!! :o

I mean don't rest on your laurels but provided you get your wife a bank account, her medical card, on the council tax and a utility bill in the first few months then you are half way there.

Edited by caledonia