Thai Banks - Debit Card

I've posted this as a separate topic to avoid a confusion of answers - hope this is OK.

Anyone have experience of a Thai bank's debit card? (Visa/Mastercard)

The idea is that if I need to make an online purchase, I'll whack the necessary funds into my card account and then use it online - probably maybe $50-100 every 4 or 5 months.

I've been employed in the same job for 3 years, paying tax and with a WP.

Or will I have to look abroad to CitiBank or somesuch? (Their maintanance fees work out to more than I would be occasionally spending every 3 or 4 months or so!)

Thanks in advance,

Rob

You cannot make online purchases with Debit Cards.

For some stupid reason Thai banks have chosen to not support that feature in their Debit card, only their Credit card. Of course it took 3 cards and many calls to support centers to find this out, since out local branch office said it surely could be used online...they where wrong.

Use Kbank's web shopping card, it's a virtual credit card that works online.

http://www.kasikornbank.com

Just apply for Kbank's eBanking and after that apply for the Web card online.

Cheers

Could I buy an air ticket online with it?

Seeing as the airline needs to see the card when presenting the e-ticket or collecting a ticket, I would think no.

The webcard is a virtual card

Totster :o

I've booked a multitude of airline tickets (all eTickets) online using my western VISA card and have never been asked for my VISA card as proof of any kind on checkin or whatnot, airline nor hotel.

Edited by TAWP

I've booked a multitude of airline tickets (all eTickets) online using my western VISA card and have never been asked for my VISA card as proof of any kind on checkin or whatnot, airline nor hotel.

Hmm, my experience has only been with Thai Airways for which it is a requirement when booking online or via telephone. Apologies for misleading if this is not standard.

Hmm, my experience has only been with Thai Airways for which it is a requirement when booking online or via telephone. Apologies for misleading if this is not standard.

Thai Air has always asked to see my Credit Card when checking in with an E-Ticket.

Its in the top of their payment terms,

International route

- E-ticket

1. Credit card is required. (VISA, MASTER)

2. The credit card owner must also travel and present that card at the airport check- In

Dunno about other airlines.

Edited by EmptyMind

Thai Air has always asked to see my Credit Card when checking in with an E-Ticket.

I have read in other airlines smallprint that the card used for online payments must be shown on request when checking in. Having said that, I have never ever been asked to show my card. (Also never flown with Thai Airways).

For some stupid reason Thai banks have chosen to not support that feature in their Debit card, only their Credit card. Of course it took 3 cards and many calls to support centers to find this out, since out local branch office said it surely could be used online...they where wrong.

I have debit card from USA bank and have made online purchases with it, I believe. I don't know about a card from a Thai bank.

I've posted this as a separate topic to avoid a confusion of answers - hope this is OK.

The idea is that if I need to make an online purchase, I'll whack the necessary funds into my card account and then use it online - probably maybe $50-100 every 4 or 5 months.

Or will I have to look abroad to CitiBank or somesuch? (Their maintanance fees work out to more than I would be occasionally spending every 3 or 4 months or so!)

Thanks in advance,

Rob

I have used Citibank USA for many years. When my Citi Mastercard card expired, I asked them to send me a new card. They informed me that since I was not a resident of the USA, they could not issue me a new card.

I always book online and both Thai Airways and AirAsia have always demanded to see my card.

Perhaps it's just a local thing because I never get asked for the card on the return

trip back to Thailand.

Did you make the booking from inside Thailand or outside ?

Anyway, for the OP, Iv'e never heard of a local debit card that can be used online, only credit cards.

Naka.

Edited by naka

I used my Bangkok Bank debit card to book and pay for tickets with NOK Air, I suspect it was a mistake on their part but well worth a try!!

Edited by Niloc

Bangkok Bank BE1st Debit card if ordered with your name on it (not the one they give in branch) and the 3 digit CVV no on the back can be used online but have to wait 7 days to pick it up from the branch

My understanding is airlines asking to see credit cards used for ticket purchases is a pretty standard thing on international travel...

I've flown repeatedly on Thai Air and EVA between the USA and Thailand, and can't recall ever NOT being asked to see the purchase credit card at check in... both here and in the USA.

About Thai bank debit cards....I haven't tried to use mine for online purchases... Instead I use U.S. credit or debit cards with no international currency fee or transaction charges...

However....

--When I opened my savings account with SCB, they issued me a SCB Debit Card with a Master Card logo on the front. On the back, it also has the 3 digit security code... I'm assuming that means I could use it online...

--When I opened my savings account with BKK Bank, they issued me a Be1st Card that has a Visa logo on the front. On the back, there is no security code...

However, in a recent post here, I believe I recall someone reporting that for online purchases, they had used the first three digits of the small 4 digit number code that appears just underneath the first 4 digits of the card number itself.

I've never heard of that or tried to use it in that way...

Both cards say.. "Electronic Use Only..." Not sure what that means....

My understanding is airlines asking to see credit cards used for ticket purchases is a pretty standard thing on international travel...

I've flown repeatedly on Thai Air and EVA between the USA and Thailand, and can't recall ever NOT being asked to see the purchase credit card at check in... both here and in the USA.

Yes, it is common policy. In the case of Korean Air, it is clearly indicated on their website that it is required for checking in.

Edited by Jingthing

I have debit card from USA bank and have made online purchases with it, I believe. I don't know about a card from a Thai bank.

Yes, but not a Thai Debit card - so far.

Btw, on Bangkok banks Be1st VISA (debit) Card there are 3 numbers on the back. Still doesn't work.

Btw, on Bangkok banks Be1st VISA (debit) Card there are 3 numbers on the back. Still doesn't work.

As mentioned above...mine is different...

Have Be1st Debit card issued at branch in BKK... It has my name printed on the front side of the card, but no 3 digit code, or any other digits..on the reverse.

Yes, but not a Thai Debit card - so far.

Does it have your name on the front? and does it say Bangkok or Krungtepmahankorn on your address in Thai?

These can affect if the card works on line or not. The Be1st Card must have your name on the physical card to be used online

As mentioned above...mine is different...

Have Be1st Debit card issued at branch in BKK... It has my name printed on the front side of the card, but no 3 digit code, or any other digits..on the reverse.

The card with 3 digits on the back has to be ordered in and takes 7 days

I have read in other airlines smallprint that the card used for online payments must be shown on request when checking in. Having said that, I have never ever been asked to show my card. (Also never flown with Thai Airways).

Booking online with credi card.

I have used Thai many times.

Neva been asked to present my credit card.

Either in NZ ot BKK.

Bangkok Airways, Vietnam Air, Air Asia and One- 2- Go neva asked either.

Strange

Edited by Zpete

Online Purchases

UK Credit Card Yes

UK Debit Card Yes

Thai Credit Card Yes

Thai Debit Card No

You can though with a Thai debit card withdraw money from ATMs around the globe and also use it to make purchases in shops in Thailand.

I always enjoy shopping online and it took me about 3 Debits (Bangkok Bank, Bank of Ayo, SCB) to find out that the Thai debit cannot be used for any online transaction.

Surprisingly, none of their staffs knows whether their bank's debit can be used for any online transaction or not, even the manager seems to be lost when I asked about it.

There maybe in-country exceptions, but what's the need to buy local stuff when what I need are non-Thai stuff..

I always enjoy shopping online and it took me about 3 Debits (Bangkok Bank, Bank of Ayo, SCB) to find out that the Thai debit cannot be used for any online transaction.

Surprisingly, none of their staffs knows whether their bank's debit can be used for any online transaction or not, even the manager seems to be lost when I asked about it.

There maybe in-country exceptions, but what's the need to buy local stuff when what I need are non-Thai stuff..

The need often depends on the currency in which the vendor requires payment.

Them (bastardo) British banks add about 3% to any credit or debit card transaction not in sterling. This is not insignificant when buying an air ticket out of Thailand which is automatically priced in Baht. About £20 you could save on one transaction if you could use Thai debit cards online.

Just a thought.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

I've been a customer of Siam Commercial Bank for about three years.

Have been trying to get them to get me a card to use online as my debit cards don't work. The idea: a secured card that I put up the cash for, just another account, where the card attached is for internet use.

Their answer, I have to put up 100,000thb and they'll issue me a card with a limit of 50,000.

How lame is that? Looks like the Kaisakorn K-card is the way to go.