International Schools

xkkpafi

Is it so that there is absolutely nothing under about B400,000 per annum per child (age14 and over) to send ones child to international school in BKK? I want to retire and kave no employer to pay such fees and have two kids (14 and 16) that I would like to send to a good school in BKK but just cant afford over 800,000 per year, especially as we are going to have to move from Hua Hin as there are no international schools there at all. Scoured the ISAT site several times looking for BKK schools without astronomical fees but everything is so expensive. Has anyone come over reasonably priced schools that offer UK curriculum .. any recommendations? Thanks for any help.

Try Ascot International School. My son was in primary there until we moved back to England and fitted into the British school system seamlessly. They are not overly expensive, but without looking at the website I couldn't tell you the price of the newly opened upper school or what years they are accepting students into. Mr Google can help you with that.

The following all appear to charge tuition under 400k per student:

• The Regent's School has a BKK campus and a Pattaya campus. UK accredited and IB world school.
  • International School Bangkok. US accredited and IB world school.
  • International School Eastern Seaboard. US accredited and IB world school.
  • International Community School of Bangkok. US curriculum; religious based.

There are still all the one-time fees and other incidental expenses, but the base tuitions are within range.

Another school that doesn't seem to provide tuition information on its website, but may be good is Bangkok Patana School (The British International School in Thailand).

The following all appear to charge tuition under 400k per student:

• The Regent's School has a BKK campus and a Pattaya campus. UK accredited and IB world school.
  • International School Bangkok. US accredited and IB world school.
  • International School Eastern Seaboard. US accredited and IB world school.
  • International Community School of Bangkok. US curriculum; religious based.

There are still all the one-time fees and other incidental expenses, but the base tuitions are within range.

Another school that doesn't seem to provide tuition information on its website, but may be good is Bangkok Patana School (The British International School in Thailand).

Patana doesn't give the tuition because it is higher then all the others. The only tuition less then 400k at ISB is pre-school.

TH

The only tuition less then 400k at ISB is pre-school.

TH

Yikes... you are totally correct. My mistake... I only glanced quickly at the tuition sheet and didn't even notice I was looking at the "per semester" rate, rather than the annual rate! My kids won't be moving to LOS for a couple of years, so I haven't been doing "serious" research yet... :o

Thanks for the save!

I had a child at Regents in Pattaya 10 years ago, Big money for nothing. Never passed an exam, all they wanted was money. Office staff used to fall over themselves there were so many. I'm sure its the same at all international schools.Now have 2 kids in private school in Isaan - far better and they are very happy. Tuition costs less than 4000bt a YEAR!

The location of the school in Bangkok is also important, you may want to find a school before you find a place to live. Many schools are on the outskirts of Bangkok and it's difficult to have your kids commute over an hour each way.

Here's a full list if you want to investigate:

www.english-schools.org/thailand/

Be wary of "religious based" schools. Some are a little extreme in their religious instruction and they are unwilling to take into consideration the wishes of parents.

Edit: BTW, because you have two children going to school, you may want to apply at a few schools that are a little over 400K. Many schools will give you a discount for more than one child.

Edited by alaina

too much $$$$$ spent on those different names of schools but yet the same bullshit is being taught all over and in all of them.

you'd notice many holidays, parties, trips ,shows, and all you would get in the end is your sons/daughters speaking English with a Thai pidgin or even(Thinglish) sometimes!

Bilingual schools

Maybe off topic but let me mention the bilingual schools. I know well the Primary. I do not know how it works for teens.

In Primary 40% of the hours are in English with Native English Speakers (or Philippinos). English, Maths and Sciences are in English. The rest in Thai.

School and teachers are VERY serious.

13 pupils in the class only = each child is individually followed.

Of course, swimming pool, AC and all the comfort.

Not sure it's good enough for kids who wants to study some more in UK or US (well, one of the teachers, an American Lady enrolled her daughter there).

Would be perfect for children of mixed couples but in Bangkok let's say most of the children are 100% Thai.

Impressive results.

As the school has also a normal Thai section with 35 pupils / class, the bilingual section appears to be the "class of excellence".

Cost around 120,000.00 THB / year but they offer scholarship for the good students (nearly all of them get the 30,000 THB scholarship).

The one I know is located close from Thai airways (Vipawadee) for obvious reasons (THAI executives want good school with English for their children).

http://yamsaard.ac.th/

I don't know if it's within your price range but my son is going to Rasami International School (UK). The base rate for kids your age is 91,000 per term. So that would be about 550,000 for the two for the year. Not sure if there is a discount for 2 our not. British and central city location near Victory Monument.

Bilingual schools

Maybe off topic but let me mention the bilingual schools. I know well the Primary. I do not know how it works for teens.

In Primary 40% of the hours are in English with Native English Speakers (or Philippinos). English, Maths and Sciences are in English. The rest in Thai.

School and teachers are VERY serious.

13 pupils in the class only = each child is individually followed.

Of course, swimming pool, AC and all the comfort.

Not sure it's good enough for kids who wants to study some more in UK or US (well, one of the teachers, an American Lady enrolled her daughter there).

Would be perfect for children of mixed couples but in Bangkok let's say most of the children are 100% Thai.

Impressive results.

As the school has also a normal Thai section with 35 pupils / class, the bilingual section appears to be the "class of excellence".

Cost around 120,000.00 THB / year but they offer scholarship for the good students (nearly all of them get the 30,000 THB scholarship).

The one I know is located close from Thai airways (Vipawadee) for obvious reasons (THAI executives want good school with English for their children).

http://yamsaard.ac.th/

Yam Saard now has a location in Hua Hin, just opened last year!

Ekamai International school's fees for the first year are right at about 400k for high school students. I would have preferred to go there instead of International Community School and was considering transferring a few years ago. Ekamai students are typically normal people but ICS students go to the school either because it was the last option or they are pseudo-extremist Christians.

The students/parents at my school seem much more uptight than at other schools.

Yam Saard now has a location in Hua Hin, just opened last year!

And also a huge campus in Rangsit.

I know that the headmaster of Yamsaad schools ia often in Hua Hin. It's a clue. You can trust them if you look for a good Thai or bilingual school.

I had a child at Regents in Pattaya 10 years ago, Big money for nothing. Never passed an exam, all they wanted was money. Office staff used to fall over themselves there were so many. I'm sure its the same at all international schools.Now have 2 kids in private school in Isaan - far better and they are very happy. Tuition costs less than 4000bt a YEAR!

No, it's not the same at all International schools. Our son graduates this year from Ruamrudee International and after 13 years there (Kg + grades 1 thru 12) we are very happy with the school and the education he received. I assume since you had your kids in Regents school that money wasn't a problem only that you weren't satisfied with the school. I hope the Thai school works out for your kids. Are they happy there because disipline is lax and the schooling easy? That's usually the hallmark of Thai schools.

No, it's not the same at all International schools. Our son graduates this year from Ruamrudee International and after 13 years there (Kg + grades 1 thru 12) we are very happy with the school and the education he received. I assume since you had your kids in Regents school that money wasn't a problem only that you weren't satisfied with the school. I hope the Thai school works out for your kids. Are they happy there because disipline is lax and the schooling easy? That's usually the hallmark of Thai schools.

I am glad you made this post about Ruamrudee , I am currently dealing with a few small issues regarding the schooling of my son there.

Have your personal experiences been all positive with this school? The one im referring to is on soi 1 pleonchit,

Cheers

I am glad you made this post about Ruamrudee , I am currently dealing with a few small issues regarding the schooling of my son there.

Have your personal experiences been all positive with this school? The one im referring to is on soi 1 pleonchit,

Cheers

Strap,

I think we are talking about two different schools. Our son attends Ruamrudee International School in Minburi. I am not familiar with the school you mentioned on Pleonchit Soi 1.

Cheers

Strap,

I think we are talking about two different schools. Our son attends Ruamrudee International School in Minburi. I am not familiar with the school you mentioned on Pleonchit Soi 1.

RIS used to be on Ploenchit Soi 1 but moved to Minburi and there is now a Ruamrudee Learning center that's a kindergarten and I think maybe a primary school as well. They are not affiliated with each other.

To save your kids the commute, I'd recommend buying a house in the nearby Tararom Parkway Chalet or Land and House Baan Nunthawan, both on Ramakhamhaeng Rd, the former just 300-400 meters from Ramakhamhaeng 184 (RIS's soi), the latter a far better neighborhood with better quality homes though... about 7-8 kilometers down the road.

:o

I send mine to Bromsgrove International School in Minburi. The costs are around the 400k mark, nice campus, happy kids and mainly British teachers.

The big gripe I have with the school is the constant money-grubbing/gouging by the school's owners for just about everything i.e; school shows, outings and uniforms. This is also a gripe shared by many of the Thai parents who send their kids to the school.

I know a few people (Thais and Foreigners) who have used RIS and they all seem to be happy with the education that the students get.

Cheers

Strap,

RIS used to be on Ploenchit Soi 1 but moved to Minburi and there is now a Ruamrudee Learning center that's a kindergarten and I think maybe a primary school as well. They are not affiliated with each other.

Thanks for the info on that also :o yes hes in kindergarten there they go until grade 7 .

Cheers

I send mine to Bromsgrove International School in Minburi. The costs are around the 400k mark, nice campus, happy kids and mainly British teachers.

The big gripe I have with the school is the constant money-grubbing/gouging by the school's owners for just about everything i.e; school shows, outings and uniforms. This is also a gripe shared by many of the Thai parents who send their kids to the school.

I know a few people (Thais and Foreigners) who have used RIS and they all seem to be happy with the education that the students get.

This is no different from any of the other first rate international schools in Bangkok. I send my kid to another international school, but she goes to Bromsgrove's summer camp. Not cheap, but well run and worth every satang.

too much $$$$$ spent on those different names of schools but yet the same bullshit is being taught all over and in all of them.

you'd notice many holidays, parties, trips ,shows, and all you would get in the end is your sons/daughters speaking English with a Thai pidgin or even(Thinglish) sometimes!

Haha Zaza, did you actually attend an international school? Because I have two kids that between then have attended 4 different international schools in 3 countries as well as a government school back home. I can assure you that neither of them speak pidgin. Even when they were initially enrolled as ESL students their schools always expected them to speak English to the best of their ability. They have fewer field trips here than in an Australian government school. Personally I would never put my kids into a Thai school because (a) they don't speak Thai and (:o we will be returning to the west at the end of my contract, where they will be expected to keep up with their peers in the classroom. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with parents who make the best choice possible for their own family.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

What does anyone know of KIS over near Ming Jai (not sure of spelling)?

Thanks,

Dr. B

What do you want to know Dr B?

It offers the PYP, MYP and DP programmes from the IB curriculum. Great facilities, great teachers, great kids... great school in my opinion... I highly recommend it... am a little bit biased, but I've worked at many schools that I would never recommend (one of them mentioned in this thread!). KIS is not one of them. It's a really neat school and is only getting stronger and stronger.

Anglo-Singapore International School is where i have my kids as my wife is Singaporean and we want them to have the Chinese Language ability.

The campus leaves a lot to be desired, but they have been and are continually expanding and its getting better. I particularly chose the school because of its academic status. I don't particularly care how glamorous a campus is. I'm of the old school that academia is why kids go to school, and after visiting many (around 90% of the international schools in Bangkok) I plunked on this one.

3 years later I am very, very happy with the schooling my daughter has received. She has come along in leaps and bounds after we pulled her out of one of the glitzier, more expensive places in town because of lackadaisical schooling.

Whats more is the price is realistic. Its still not cheap, but its not ridiculous at around 70K per term. there is the sign up fee and development fee etc but you can see that they are spending the development fee on developing, which is nice and therefore i don't begrudge it. They also offer a discount for second and third children.

Unfortunately, until next year they dont offer secondary school which is kind of worrying as my daighter will be reaching secondary school age then.

All in all, a great school in my opinion.

Traill International School - Ramkhamhaeng. Established in 1966, so not jumping on the "start an International school to make easy cash" bandwagon. Looked around it April of this year and left with good impression of both staff and kids.

Glad to hear that RIS is still going strong. I attended RIS myself (grades 5-10), and at least back then, it had a very strong academic culture. The school followed a US curriculum, but prepared me well for crossing straight over to the English system to do A-levels in the UK. I have a scinece degree (UK), and a good engineering career so I absolutely agree - with the correct school, international education in Thailand is defenitely not a waste of time. Many alumni have gone on to become very successful both in Thiland and abroad.

However, with all due respect, I'm very surprised at your last comment about lax disipline easy schooling being the hallmark of Thai schools. Lax disipline?! Easy schooling?! I spent K-grade 5 in a Thai school, and am still somewhat haunted by the discipline and pressure experienced there. Have things changed that much over the years?

Ananke