Clouds

I enjoy seeing cloud/s photos :-

large.jpg

Can anyone explain why the low line of cloud just hangs so low above the horizon all the time, whilst the other 2 sets of clouds rise up.

Photo, panoramic, 3 shots, from the West Runway of Suvarnabhumi Airport looking Eastwards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Sangkhla-buri (Vajiralongkron Res - Longest Wooden Bridge) in Kanachaburi

large.jpg

large.jpg

Chiang Mai area

large.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

Edited by Kan Win

The one rising up on the right is a typical hammerhead, thunder cloud.

Perhaps some local heating on the ground is causing the up flow.

Common at this time of year when the land is very hot. These thunder clouds

build as the afternoon progresses.

google 'cumulonimbus' that is what that cloud formation is, they develop the typical 'anvel' shape towrds the top of the cloud as a result of a difference in windspeeds etc, reach enormous heights and can make awesome sights when the electric starts to generate amongst it. Ice crystals also form in the top layers and then you get hail storms.

Thats from my limited knowledge anyway.

I have some nice cloud photos, but if I post them my secret will be out.

• 1 month later...
Anyone else out there? or our we the only ones on cloud 9? :o

There is a CM member who just posted one in the "Evaluate My Photo" forum. Coincidentally, he took the same red sunset and the same day I did. However, his timing and position was much better then mine and looks really good. :D

There is a CM member who just posted one in the "Evaluate My Photo" forum. Coincidentally, he took the same red sunset and the same day I did. However, his timing and position was much better then mine and looks really good. :D

I did have a look at that photo, but............your photo is in my view (and pun intended) much to my liking, however, it-was your first photo of "Clouds" that I did enjoy the most.

Kan Win :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-498-1216030009_thumb.jpg

Forgot to include this one even though I just took it in last month. It is a series of stacked lenticular clouds over the mountains in Idaho. Very unusual to see so many as there are usually just one or two. They stayed in place for several hours.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your photos. Nice to see some interest on this subject :o

Stockholm with Royal Castle in the Old Town to the right.

:D

Nice, looks like an old photo. :D

A few more to keep it going.

Very nice Pano photos BTW, thank you. :D

Forgot to include this one even though I just took it in last month. It is a series of stacked lenticular clouds over the mountains in Idaho. Very unusual to see so many as there are usually just one or two. They stayed in place for several hours.

Very good both two photos, thank you.

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

Stockholm with Royal Castle in the Old Town to the right.

:D

Nice, looks like an old photo. :D

I took it 4 years ago with my Sony DSC-V1. You can choose "Sepia" and I found it made the clouds more interesting.

Got some more same style and also Stockholm here: 173300680iEKLLd_th.jpg

:D:o:D

As Thai Visa has "Tag Cloud" :D now this is a low cloud photo, six photos in this shot Pano:-

large.jpg

Kan Win on Cloud 9 :o

Hey, this is a great photo! Where was it taken and what time of year? Good work on the pano tie in.

Here a a few I took on Saturday 1.pm at NaJomtien, the sun was most unusual with a continuous ring that lasted around two hours.. I only Have a Nikon coolpix 3200, but I do my best :o

post-9958-1216547511_thumb.jpg

post-9958-1216548220_thumb.jpg

post-9958-1216548374_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kan Win

As Thai Visa has "Tag Cloud" :D now this is a low cloud photo, six photos in this shot Pano:-

large.jpg

Kan Win on Cloud 9 :o

Hey, this is a great photo! Where was it taken and what time of year? Good work on the pano tie in.

Hi "'T_Dog" taken just before Phuket on the road from Krabi, September 2006. The pano tie was just pure luck :D

Kan Win :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I enjoy seeing cloud/s photos :-

large.jpg

Can anyone explain why the low line of cloud just hangs so low above the horizon all the time, whilst the other 2 sets of clouds rise up.

Kan,

The reason is that the line at the bottom of the clouds is called the condensation level. Temperature decreases with altitude - so at some height the humidity becomes 100%, above this is cooler so condensation forms clouds, below that humidity is less than 100% so clouds evaporate. Air moves up and down but the line stays fairly constant - in the short term. This is why clouds appear to 'hang so low'

If you look at your picture, the larger of the two thunderheads, as that thunderhead has risen, it has sucked the surrounding humid air down - so the clouds are thinner either side of that thunderhead. But the bottom of the cloud layer is much the same height all over.

Shame about the pollution. (the browny / grey under the clouds) But good for the economy! ;-(

Edited by Screws

• 2 months later...

Unusual shapes: Some people see shapes in clouds of different objects. My wife looked at this and spotted a dog in the lower left corner. I looked at the center column and saw something, let's just say, more Freudian. Yeah, I know - weird couple :o

post-566-1224678667_thumb.jpg