Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

PattayaParent

+1 for Kebab City. Had a lunch there today. Nice food and service

I ordered the pork pita plate and coke

Sorry one photo is not in focus but you get the idea.

Place is right next door to CYC Cycle shop

See the attached photos for menus and such

post-20917-0-14386100-1427788510_thumb.j

post-20917-0-80494000-1427788515_thumb.j

post-20917-0-71177900-1427788521_thumb.j

post-20917-0-57371000-1427788526_thumb.j

post-20917-0-05360400-1427788546_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kebab City- only tried their burgers and fries.

Burgers (beef) are good, although first time the bun came with ketchup on it. Second time with mustard. Next time I'll ask them not to put any condiments on the buns.

• 3 weeks later...

Ruan Chomchan is a fantastic Thai seafood restaurant. The quality seems better than Romson and slightly more pricey.Its probably about 1kilometre from the Pala roundabout heading towards Garden School. Fantastic food and a nicely decorated place.

Wifey and I had brunch there earlier.

Very nice seating area, sturdy tables and chairs, clean and comfortable and fly-free. Interesting array of knick-knacks and paintings, a chiming clock and many plants. A sink with soap!

We had crab with garlic and ginger. (I think it was with ginger, anyway, delicious). Shrimp som tam. (Delicious). Large prawns with black pepper, noodles and greens. (W liked it). Rice. (Well cooked and fluffy).

All good. Attentive but not hovering service.

With two bottles of water and ice, the bill came to a reasonable 650 baht.

We'll go again.

Edited by Swamp Thing
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^Don't get a strop on lad..Your directions were crap and not helpful at all! If you turn left at the new road, you'd end up on Sukhumvit without even seeing the place. as you'd be travelling in the wrong direction!.....And I can't remember you mentioning it being on the same side as Nina's either coffee1.gif

sorry but is

quote ''If you want Kebab City however, you should turn right onto the new road (if coming from Eastern Star) and it is on your left hand side, (next to the CYCle shop)wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XDSXeTygv''

not on the same side as Nina's

Read the posts mate.....the original advised to turn left and Kebab City is on the right. Whereas, in the real world, you turn right at the lights and the restaurant is on the left. Yeah, on the same side of the road as Nina's, but a couple of kms nearer to Maptaphut and you won't find it if you turn left at the new road! Will end up nearer to your army place on Suk thoughbiggrin.png Have been there a few times myself and agree, it is good

New to the area and totally confused but would like to give the kebabs a try. Any chance of someone posting a map of the location. Looking on a map of Eastern star I can see road on both sides of it and have no idea which one anyone is talking about.

^Don't get a strop on lad..Your directions were crap and not helpful at all! If you turn left at the new road, you'd end up on Sukhumvit without even seeing the place. as you'd be travelling in the wrong direction!.....And I can't remember you mentioning it being on the same side as Nina's either coffee1.gif

sorry but is

quote ''If you want Kebab City however, you should turn right onto the new road (if coming from Eastern Star) and it is on your left hand side, (next to the CYCle shop)wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XDSXeTygv''

not on the same side as Nina's

Read the posts mate.....the original advised to turn left and Kebab City is on the right. Whereas, in the real world, you turn right at the lights and the restaurant is on the left. Yeah, on the same side of the road as Nina's, but a couple of kms nearer to Maptaphut and you won't find it if you turn left at the new road! Will end up nearer to your army place on Suk thoughbiggrin.png Have been there a few times myself and agree, it is good

New to the area and totally confused but would like to give the kebabs a try. Any chance of someone posting a map of the location. Looking on a map of Eastern star I can see road on both sides of it and have no idea which one anyone is talking about.

Google for this GPS position 12.7141230417, 101.055782301

Irrellivant as it is now closed down unfortunately. Good while it lasted.

Edited by LennyW

Regarding Kebab City it is the old chestnut "Location Location Location" I have driven past it 5 days a week since it opened and never knew it was there until I read about it on TV.

Opposite the new 7 11 between railway crossing and traffic lights is a new restaurant with a sign outside advertising Burgers etc. Looks like it is not open as yet. Maybe Kebab City relocating?

Regarding Kebab City it is the old chestnut "Location Location Location" I have driven past it 5 days a week since it opened and never knew it was there until I read about it on TV.

Opposite the new 7 11 between railway crossing and traffic lights is a new restaurant with a sign outside advertising Burgers etc. Looks like it is not open as yet. Maybe Kebab City relocating?

I shall follow this with interest, have tried to find 2/3 places recommended here but so far without success, Kebab City gone, Chill Bar & Restaurant (by Phala Pier/) apparently closed or maybe renamed and closed anyway when visited. Nina's Kitchen closed Sunday lunchtime when I passed looking for the kebab place. Do any new restaurants around here manage to stay open for any length of time?

Edited by gmac

Had a nice dinner with friends at the Phala Pier place last night.Still there and more Thai food on the menu now and not so much farang food. Wife said it was all good and what I ate was good too. I guess the same name as I did not notice what its called.

^According to the grapevine, Joost has sold the kebab place outright to somebody from Jomtien, Pattaya. Not sure what they are going to do with it though.

Sold all the equipment i believe.

I shall follow this with interest, have tried to find 2/3 places recommended here but so far without success, Kebab City gone, Chill Bar & Restaurant (by Phala Pier/) apparently closed or maybe renamed and closed anyway when visited. Nina's Kitchen closed Sunday lunchtime when I passed looking for the kebab place. Do any new restaurants around here manage to stay open for any length of time?

Chill bar at Phala pier is open evenings.

Nina's is open at 3pm daily.

Thanks, that'll work once my wife gets back from Bangkok, for now I've only been looking for places lunchtime.

Thanks, that'll work once my wife gets back from Bangkok, for now I've only been looking for places lunchtime.

Had another go at Nina's Kitchen tonight..........closed every 1st and 3rd monday of the month!! Hope it's worth the wait when I finally get to eat there.

Had another go at Nina's Kitchen tonight..........closed every 1st and 3rd monday of the month!! Hope it's worth the wait when I finally get to eat there.

. Who makes hours like that, just close on Mon for Christ Sake, TIT

• 1 month later...

^Not to be confused with Nina's Kitchen, but "Nida's House" is a small indoors restaurant just opened up. Location is a shophouse on the Phala Rd, between Eastern Star and the rail crossing. (Same side of the road as ES entrance).

Been there with the family a couple of times now and tried a few different things on the menu. Was very pleased with the food, service, and price. Menu selection not vast, but you can tell that the foods on there are fresh, authentic, and very well made. (Try the Lasagne, Spag Bol, or Pepper Steak). Last time out here I had Salmon Fillet w/ Parmesan. Very nice indeed. thumbsup.gif Another really good place to visit in Banchang.

Edited by huangnon
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

"Nida's House" is a small indoors restaurant just opened up. Location is a shophouse on the Phala Rd, between Eastern Star and the rail crossing. (Same side of the road as ES entrance).

Another really good place to visit in Banchang.

Agreed, but it was closed last Sunday lunchtime. Whether that's because it was a holiday weekend or they're always closed on Sundays I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Went down to Phala Peir today. Opened again and being run by a Thai guy and a couple of family members by the look of it.

99% Thai menu but gave up when the first three dishes asked for were Mai Mee !!!

Hope it gets better. Seems like a nice guy, but not sure they can appeal to the expats unless things get better on the 'what have you actually got today side of things'

Went down to Phala Peir today. Opened again and being run by a Thai guy and a couple of family members by the look of it.

99% Thai menu but gave up when the first three dishes asked for were Mai Mee !!!

Hope it gets better. Seems like a nice guy, but not sure they can appeal to the expats unless things get better on the 'what have you actually got today side of things'

I didn't realise it had changed hands. Went there a couple of nights ago for their pork burger but got the same Mai Mee answer. Had an Indian style curry instead but it was just a Thai yellow curry. Hope it does get better as it's a nice place to eat right by the sea.

Seems there will be a European trained chef starting beginning of next month.

I didn't realise it had changed hands. Went there a couple of nights ago for their pork burger but got the same Mai Mee answer. Had an Indian style curry instead but it was just a Thai yellow curry. Hope it does get better as it's a nice place to eat right by the sea.

I'd like to introduce Penny's Homestay. We are primarily a hotel, but we do serve food, simple Thai favourites such as pad thai, tom yum, curries etc. We also do breakfast. We have a pool and play areas that guests can use and a gym. We are located about 200m north of the bar strip and Ban Chang Palace hotel heading out of town on the right hand side, Tesaban 4. There is a small sign - look out for it or you'll miss it! Call 0800971293 for reservations is best as you can ensure the cook is in. For pics and prices google 'pennys homestay rayong'. We are on google maps. We are pet friendly, child friendly. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

There is a new little bar/restaurant opened very recently, called Phala Beach Cafe, if you turn left along the beach road at the mini roundabout, over the bridge and it is about 100m along on the right (beach side) about 100m before the Boardwalk beach club and the Crossroads bar.

I have not tried it yet but they have a blackboard out front steak and chips, all day breakfast, coffee, beer etc. seems to be a gathering of local expats there most afternoons/early evenings.

One of my favourite places in Ban Chang is the Phala Pier Cafe! The bar tender is very welcoming and always friendly. He makes excellent cocktails such as mojitos or piña coladas at great prices. The food is always delicious and they even have a great breakfast which I think is served all day . While you dine you can watch the waves crash on the shore. It feels like you are on an island holiday. I recommend this place for a drink or a meal.

• Like 1

There is a new little bar/restaurant opened very recently, called Phala Beach Cafe, if you turn left along the beach road at the mini roundabout, over the bridge and it is about 100m along on the right (beach side) about 100m before the Boardwalk beach club and the Crossroads bar.

I have not tried it yet but they have a blackboard out front steak and chips, all day breakfast, coffee, beer etc. seems to be a gathering of local expats there most afternoons/early evenings.

Neighbour of mine reckoned it was really good worth a try.

will do early next week and get back

I thought that this was a house that someone had converted to a bar but no, this is a purpose built beach cafe and very nice it is too, seating outside for about 12, seating inside for about 20. They have been open about a week and are still doing more to the place - a dip pool out the back where you can lounge and walk down to the beach and they are also making a roof deck. Very nice indeed.

Well what can i say about the prices.....i will let the menu pictures tell you that....

Highly recommended by me for sure!!!

I will report back soon regards the breakfast!

post-62606-0-06767800-1440820784_thumb.j

post-62606-0-04505200-1440820834_thumb.j