Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

PattayaParent

It's been confirmed that Pizza Italia has closed.That's terrible news. Apparently there's going to be a bar restaurant serving Thai food and expat focused dishes. I'm not getting massively excited as we have a lot of places like that. Bloody shame about Pizza Italia just the sort of niche  place that Ban Chang needs.

The success or failure of a business isn't purely down to consumer demand.  It was always busy when I went. I wouldn't want to speculate on why the business failed. It's loyal customers will certainly miss it as there are no other restaurants providing proper Italian style pizza.

• Like 1

Too bad it closed before it had a chance to develop a following. I only tried a pizza once and intended to get back for more of the menu. Very puzzling to me why a person would spend so much time, effort and money and then seem to give up so quickly. Maybe there's more to this shut down than meets the eye

23 hours ago, Big Guns said:

The success or failure of a business isn't purely down to consumer demand.  It was always busy when I went. I wouldn't want to speculate on why the business failed. It's loyal customers will certainly miss it as there are no other restaurants providing proper Italian style pizza.

Agreed. According to word around the campfire, the 4 Italian co-owners had a fall-out..

I find it hard to believe that any of of the expat run places in BanChang make any more than survival money nowadays.

I might be wrong but the vast majority of expats are in the retiral age bracket and are really not into nice restaurants with good well presented nice meals and a glass of wine etc. Living on a UK pension and 35,000 baht payment to continue on a retiral extension because they don't have 800,000 in the bank doesn't help.

Over the past few years it's become impossible to find a place where a husband and wife can go, have a good meal and a couple of drinks at any price.

Maybe I expect too much.

• Like 2

^True for retirees. Pattaya is definitely the 'punter's market' for eating out on a budget, and most Western food outlets in Banchang have to source their foods and supplies from Pattaya (and Bangkok) accordingly.

Depending what type of food or evening out you want, Banchang is definitely pricier and probably not up to the same standards as major tourist cities and locations. The inherent problems with these same locations still make BC a great place to live though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

been a few times to the new restaurant on U -Tapao airport through the new entrance on Phala beach road, at the end of that long new road its next to the new hotel and overlooking the sea, good menu, food well presented and good prices, start at 50 baht, for a simple single plate meal, a good can not eat anymore meal for 7 with drinks was 1,500 baht

• Like 2

On 9/7/2016 at 10:24 PM, overherebc said:

I find it hard to believe that any of of the expat run places in BanChang make any more than survival money nowadays.

I might be wrong but the vast majority of expats are in the retiral age bracket and are really not into nice restaurants with good well presented nice meals and a glass of wine etc. Living on a UK pension and 35,000 baht payment to continue on a retiral extension because they don't have 800,000 in the bank doesn't help.

Over the past few years it's become impossible to find a place where a husband and wife can go, have a good meal and a couple of drinks at any price.

Maybe I expect too much.

Hana-Japanese-Restaurant

lobster.jpg

On 9/22/2016 at 9:58 PM, steve187 said:

been a few times to the new restaurant on U -Tapao airport through the new entrance on Phala beach road, at the end of that long new road its next to the new hotel and overlooking the sea, good menu, food well presented and good prices, start at 50 baht, for a simple single plate meal, a good can not eat anymore meal for 7 with drinks was 1,500 baht

Agreed. It's called Serene.

On 9/26/2016 at 5:56 PM, RoyDee said:

Agreed. It's called Serene.

It belongs to the navy, part of it is a training school, and the navy are building another resort/restaurant type place of about the same size as Serene Plah, out the back of Ban Chang on the 3376 road at the reservoir , the hotel part is almost done. They have also built a huge grandstand overlooking the reservoir not sure the plan for that??

On 9/6/2016 at 8:21 AM, Big Guns said:

It's been confirmed that Pizza Italia has closed.That's terrible news. Apparently there's going to be a bar restaurant serving Thai food and expat focused dishes. I'm not getting massively excited as we have a lot of places like that. Bloody shame about Pizza Italia just the sort of niche  place that Ban Chang needs.

The new bar/restaurant will be called the Clock, it is due to open next week sometime.

On September 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM, steve187 said:

Is this the military owed hotel? I was under the impression it's a no go area for Farangs. Thou if you went there,then this is obviously not so.

open to all as far as i know, the group had more non Thai's than Thai's, staff say that when the hotel starts to get busy then they will do a buffet breakfast, at the moment the breakfast is ok and consists of tea or coffee, glass of orange, 2 x toast/jam with plated sliced square ham, frankfurters and egg, 150 baht, and the view is great.

20 hours ago, nontabury said:

Is this the military owed hotel? I was under the impression it's a no go area for Farangs. Thou if you went there,then this is obviously not so.

It is owned by the Navy, part of it is a training school for Navy cadets.

It is open to all - most of the time......occasionally when they have top brass from the Navy or Royalty visiting it shuts to all foreigners, not too long ago when one of the princess's were there it was shut all weekend to foreigners.

Most of the staff speak excellent English, way beyond what you would expect in a hotel/restaurant here.

Edited by LennyW

Nice little restaurant / bar opened recently on the Phala Rd between the Eastern Star estate and Springs (left hand side if coming from the beach), called the "Robin Hood" restaurant. :smile:

Family (and wallet) friendly, and with a good ambience plus Western/ Thai menu, was pleasantly surprised after visiting and having a few drinks and snacks at the weekend. Will be there again soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, huangnon said:

Nice little restaurant / bar opened recently on the Phala Rd between the Eastern Star estate and Springs (left hand side if coming from the beach), called the "Robin Hood" restaurant. :smile:

Family (and wallet) friendly, and with a good ambience plus Western/ Thai menu, was pleasantly surprised after visiting and having a few drinks and snacks at the weekend. Will be there again soon.

Yes, i have been spending quite a lot of time there myself since it opened, certainly decent prices, happy hours from 2pm till 8pm daily.

2 good pool tables too.

I finally had a chance to dine at the Navy resort restaurant "Serene". 7 adults and 2 kids. Got there about 5:15 pm last evening. Surprisingly long drive down that 3k new concrete road they built along the inside of the Utapao wall (impressive). The speed bumps do make it slow and cautious. 

Got to the gate and were welcomed by the Thai guards who gave the wave and directed us to the restaurant. Early birds so no parking issues.

As it was still light we got to see a bit of the place coming in and the then the great view from the deck restaurant. Nice breeze blowing to cool things down. Very nice place with helpful staff. The food we ordered was good and not too expensive. The check came to about 2,900 B for several various plates of food, desserts and non stop Leo. The main menu has all the usual Thai foods.  I did notice a second menu offering catfish in various ways and a third offering of seafood specials. A few of us agreed this place was less expensive than Romson on Namrin Beach and its closer.

I will visit Serene again as its a nice place and too close to my house to ignore when going out for dinner. I don't know what its like during the day but I'm sure indoor eating is a must as there is no cover on the deck and the blazing sun would be horrible I am sure. 

Worth visiting more than once.

On 08/10/2016 at 7:41 AM, longball53098 said:

I finally had a chance to dine at the Navy resort restaurant "Serene". 7 adults and 2 kids. Got there about 5:15 pm last evening. Surprisingly long drive down that 3k new concrete road they built along the inside of the Utapao wall (impressive). The speed bumps do make it slow and cautious. 

Got to the gate and were welcomed by the Thai guards who gave the wave and directed us to the restaurant. Early birds so no parking issues.

As it was still light we got to see a bit of the place coming in and the then the great view from the deck restaurant. Nice breeze blowing to cool things down. Very nice place with helpful staff. The food we ordered was good and not too expensive. The check came to about 2,900 B for several various plates of food, desserts and non stop Leo. The main menu has all the usual Thai foods.  I did notice a second menu offering catfish in various ways and a third offering of seafood specials. A few of us agreed this place was less expensive than Romson on Namrin Beach and its closer.

I will visit Serene again as its a nice place and too close to my house to ignore when going out for dinner. I don't know what its like during the day but I'm sure indoor eating is a must as there is no cover on the deck and the blazing sun would be horrible I am sure. 

Worth visiting more than once.

Has obviously improved a lot lately. Last time, when even not that busy took 45 to 50 minutes for my meal to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Big Guns said:

I tried the clock bar last Saturday morning for breakfast and it was great. I had the Big Boy at 220 Baht and its name was accurate as I was stuffed. It had black pudding, bacon, sausages, eggs, beans, mushrooms, hash browns, fried bread, toast and Yorkshire tea. Great stuff and I hope it does well.The menu looks interesting and features a lot of British Indian and British Chinese dishes. It's located outside of Springs where the short lived Italian place used to be.

Got to agree with that, had the same yesterday, very good, a big thumbs up from my significant other for the Thai food as well!!

A post has been removed, if you have nothing good to say then don't say it, please see this forum rule that you agreed to when you signed up to Thai Visa:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

• 4 weeks later...

New place on Phala Beach road "Lord Nelson Bar, Restaurant and Hotel" Looks like its just opened. I think was under construction for a year or two and now finally open. Located just East a few doors from the Boardwalk and Crossroads.

Any info on the place? I will try soon.

On 18/11/2016 at 1:29 PM, longball53098 said:

New place on Phala Beach road "Lord Nelson Bar, Restaurant and Hotel" Looks like its just opened. I think was under construction for a year or two and now finally open. Located just East a few doors from the Boardwalk and Crossroads.

I went to the Victory Bar yesterday. Brilliant location with great views of the sea. The decor based on Nelson's ship is really nice. Unfortunately no imported or draft beers. Nice place for a cold Heineken though.

On 11/18/2016 at 1:29 PM, longball53098 said:

Been open 2 or 3 weeks now, as said above, great spot and very well done out.

They have also just started doing food, basic menu for now.

I had a look  round the rental rooms, very nice and not expensive.

Nice to know the beer is cold.

I tried to have dinner there on Saturday night about 6:30 pm. Wife and I arrived at the place and walked in to the bar/dining/pool area. No greeter of any kind although it seemed the tables were all occupied. Wife walked past the bar to see one open table for 2. She waved me over and we sat down. In the course of the next several minutes we sat there staring at each other and wondering what's next? We did see one lady staff running around between all the tables trying to help the patrons. There was only one older man and a Thai woman sitting at the bar. No sign of any other staff or farang management. We continued to wait but no one acknowledged we had sat there. After several minutes we decided to get up and slowly walk back out. No one approached us or said "boo" or anything else. Lets hope the service improves.

So first experience was less than good. We will try again on a less than busy time of a evening.

Side note is if the front of the place has 5 cars parked in front more than likely they are busy. Parking is really non existent unless you want to risk street parking(I know this is normal TIT).