Anxiety Treatment

marc651

I am (urgently) looking for a (credentialed) therapist or doctor with experience in dealing with anxiety disorders and insomnia.

Since more than a week I am going through an episode of serious anxiety and related insomnia.

I have nearly not slept for the last three days, and am even more stressed out because of this.

A week ago I went to see a psychiatrist at Bumrungrad, but he just prescribed medication and immediately called in the next patient after I had explained my problem. He seemed to totally not care. (visit lasted less than 5 minutes)

I guess this anxiety related therapy is quite specific, I checked in the pinned topic "mental health resource list' (dates back to 2006) and searched the forum, but did not seem to find any specific listings or posts on the topic.

I have gone through sort of a similar episode ten years ago, then I overcame it through medication and therapy, so it must be possible now as well - only I don't know where to go ....

ps. I live in the Bangkok area. You can PM me or post a followup. Thanks a lot.

I don't know who you saw at Bumrungrad Hospital, but I recommend you make an appointment there with Dr. Carl Janowitz a Clinical Psychologist from America. You can speak with him on the phone and discuss your situation before agreeing to meet.

Office: 02-667-2533

Good luck,

-O

Most, possibly all, of the therapists listed in the pinned notice can treat anxiety disorders. If they feel medication is also indicated (in addition to therapy) they will arrange for that.

The most important thing is for the therapist to first get a clear sense of what is going on with you. Even where medication isi ndicated, the choice of medictaion depends upon the full clinical picture.

Equally important is for the patient to develop trust in the therapist and to feel that the therapist understands them. This is a very individual thing and may take some trial and error before you find the right one.

If you have a strong feeling about working with a male vs female thearpist or about therapists nationality start with that as it will pare the list down. . Then just start making appointments and continue until you feel you have found someone you "click" with.

Good luck and hang in there.

I don't know who you saw at Bumrungrad Hospital, but I recommend you make an appointment there with Dr. Carl Janowitz a Clinical Psychologist from America. You can speak with him on the phone and discuss your situation before agreeing to meet.

Office: 02-667-2533

Good luck,

-O

I called the number, but was informed Dr Janowitz doesnt work there anymore :o

Sheryl: thanks for the advice and support, I guess you might be right I might have to go for the trial-and-error method.

Anyway, recomendations are always welcome

• 1 month later...

Do you mind me asking... is this related to anything happening in your life?

If you can sort out what is happening, I mean label your feelings a little, it may provide some hold. For example anxiety is future driven, it's often mistaken for agitation that might be felt when something is already here.

It's an excruciating/exquisite type of neurosis, and you have my sympathies. We all go through it this sounds quite tough, but perhaps the worst is over.

I doubt it will be as severe as 10 years ago.

Perhaps Prozac or similar might be good idea for a couple of months. Obviously to be agreed by a doctor.

I consider my anxiety disorder and panic attacks as the greatest gift of my life. It happened since I was a kid up to age 36. I was given anti-depressants and xanax for over a year with the result of a xanax addiction and bad side effects from the anti-d's. At age 37, driven by horrible panic attacks, I decided to change my life. I started a regular meditation practice, a bit of therapy, a lot of group therapy, quitting all alcohol and drugs, and no coffee. I never would have had the motivation for these changes without the panic attacks. I am the happiest man in the world!

Good luck!

I am (urgently) looking for a (credentialed) therapist or doctor with experience in dealing with anxiety disorders and insomnia.

Since more than a week I am going through an episode of serious anxiety and related insomnia.

I have nearly not slept for the last three days, and am even more stressed out because of this.

A week ago I went to see a psychiatrist at Bumrungrad, but he just prescribed medication and immediately called in the next patient after I had explained my problem. He seemed to totally not care. (visit lasted less than 5 minutes)

I guess this anxiety related therapy is quite specific, I checked in the pinned topic "mental health resource list' (dates back to 2006) and searched the forum, but did not seem to find any specific listings or posts on the topic.

I have gone through sort of a similar episode ten years ago, then I overcame it through medication and therapy, so it must be possible now as well - only I don't know where to go ....

Get your hands on books written by Dr Claire Weekes. They will explain the physical origin of your symptoms. They're hard work but you'll be free of the fear of anxiety for the rest of your life without the need for therapy or medication.

• 2 years later...

hello there,

just read your post about:

Dr. Carl Janowitz (a Clinical Psychologist from America)

is he still in bangkok?

i do have the same problem and would love to get in contact with him.

thank you for carering!

Antaro (Wolfgang)

please PM me

PM me and I will give you Carls number as he practices privately now

Edited by Mario2008
email removed to prevent spamming of email, use PM.

Get your hands on books written by Dr Claire Weekes. They will explain the physical origin of your symptoms. They're hard work but you'll be free of the fear of anxiety for the rest of your life without the need for therapy or medication.

This website provides a good summary of Claire Weekes:

http://www.anxietycoach.com/claire-weekes.html

hello there,

just read your post about:

Dr. Carl Janowitz (a Clinical Psychologist from America)

is he still in bangkok?

i do have the same problem and would love to get in contact with him.

thank you for carering!

Antaro (Wolfgang)

please mail to:

[email protected]

PM me and I will give you Carls number as he practices privately now

Carl is still practicing in Bangkok, and also in Pattaya area as well.

His contact details are on his website

bangkoktherapy.com

You may also find this workbook useful

http://ebook68.com/the-cognitive-behavioral-workbook-for-depression-a-step-by-step-program-workbook.html

Edited by mrtoad

I consider my anxiety disorder and panic attacks as the greatest gift of my life. It happened since I was a kid up to age 36. I was given anti-depressants and xanax for over a year with the result of a xanax addiction and bad side effects from the anti-d's. At age 37, driven by horrible panic attacks, I decided to change my life. I started a regular meditation practice, a bit of therapy, a lot of group therapy, quitting all alcohol and drugs, and no coffee. I never would have had the motivation for these changes without the panic attacks. I am the happiest man in the world!

Good luck!

There's a lot of truth in this post. Anxiety is painful. But it can be a force for positive change: abandoning bad habits, setting goals.

• 3 weeks later...

Not long before I started meditation and being mindful, I was completely out of control of my life. I felt like I was just coursing through life, doing things in routine, and I hated having to wake up everyday and live my boring, uneventful life. Later I found myself unproductive and lost, until my friends suggested that I just let go of everything that is bothering me and try to pick myself up piece by piece. Through meditation classes and practicing mindfulness, I was able to slowly understand myself and what I truly want, eventually finding myself calmer and more at peace. It does help to stop for a while, especially when there is chaos all around