Power Cuts & Water Supplies

raybona

How about power cuts and water supplies in CM? do you have a daily newspaper who warns you about it or does it comes by surprise?

how long do the power cuts normally takes? Over here it can be up to 15 hours!!

About the water, if you're living in a compounded independant house, is there a non-stop water supply, or do you need to order a watertruck to fill up your well? Also is the water potable or do you have to cook it?

In my opinion, is you better come here for a couple of months before you pick up and move here...

The questions you are asking very from area to area and how much you are willing to spend to live here.

Edited by highonthai

How about power cuts and water supplies in CM? do you have a daily newspaper who warns you about it or does it comes by surprise?

how long do the power cuts normally takes? Over here it can be up to 15 hours!!

About the water, if you're living in a compounded independant house, is there a non-stop water supply, or do you need to order a watertruck to fill up your well? Also is the water potable or do you have to cook it?

For what its worth,

Outage Announcements:

In my neighborhood (near Big C #1), they announce planned water and power outages from a mobile truck with loud speakers. The same way they advertise election candidates, sell vegatables, buy your cardboard trash, etc. Unfortunately, unless you both speak Thai and do not have a day job, you will never know :o

Water Supply:

In my neighborhood, the setup was a main house in the neighborhood has a big well. All the other houses either have their own wells, or have a water pipe coming from the main house. There is a meter on the line and its your duty to read the meter and go pay your bill at the main house. This seems to run entirely on the honor system. However, in the past month or so, they have been busy digging up our streets and laying pipes for bringing regular city water to our houses.

As the previous poster stated, this varies from area to area. I live in an old Thai neighborhood on the outskirts of town and I am sure that the situation is different both closer to town and out in the fancy new moobahn developments.

-Mestizo

Strange you should ask about power outages. I was just informed today that we would be without any power tomorrow from 9 until 5 p.m. It came via word of mouth from Thai friends. No formal announcement, nothing in the mailbox; yet they somehow expect the residents in our village (Palm Springs) to get the word. Apparently the electric company is installing some new device in all the homes. This will also affect nearby Varee School and possibly other nearby locations. Some kind of warning would be nice, so we can perform the 'Three S's" in the evening. Oh well, TIT

Question from my side.. do you have a same forum there to ask all these questions?

Oh yes we do, and a big one

Look at indiamike.com

We were on it for 8 months before we moved, and new more about Goa then most Goans themselves

Question from my side.. do you have a same forum there to ask all these questions?

Oh yes we do, and a big one

Look at indiamike.com

We were on it for 8 months before we moved, and new more about Goa then most Goans themselves

And for about how many more months do you expect to be asking questions on this forum before moving here or deciding not to move here?

Hi Bill97, I'm so sorry you're so unhappy, never read any friendly comment from you. But to satisfy you, we'll be asking questions for another 4 months if there is something we wonder about.

Do you have a problem with that?

As far as i know a forum is meant to ask things you don't know about, or help those people who want to know.

If you need to know something about India, or many other countries in the world, we'll be happy to help you out !

Outages depend a lot on the area you're in. In the one year I've lived in my current house, I believe we had a power outage once, that lasted about half an hour.

( Power outages do seem to be scheduled during sports games that you want to watch, though )

Water comes from the development and has never failed.. I know this can be a bit more spotty in the downtown area. Again it depends on where you live.

I don't think many people drink tap water, though allegedly you could.. Some people would use it for cooking and so on. But really it's much better to get drinking water delivered in bottles, it doesn't cost much.

Karnkanok 1 (moo baan out towards san kampeang, about 15min) turn ellectric off now and again, i think because they are still building more houses, but not for more than a couple of hours maybe once every couple of weeks. for the same reason i guess is why the water stops but for not so long.

Water is mains with a bill in the letter box each month, same like electric.

I have drunk the tap water before when thirsty in the night and run out of bottled. Nothing happened but i wouldn't make a habit of it. I installed a filter when i moved here but some times its clowdy with little flecks in. Again i've not got sick but have switched back to bottled till homepro get thier act together and sort it out. They come to fix it 2 times now but won't replace the whole thing or swap for another model, going to 7 to get the government report break of warrenty form thing soon. :o