Best "all Around" Vacation Spot

Roostking

New to the board, looks like a lot of information here. I know we all have opinions, but I will be in Thailand from July 27th through August 4th. I need to unwind from a year in Iraq, so I thought thailand might be a good place to do it. I have never been there and dont know anyone who has. I am looking for a mixture of touristy siteseeing, maybe some snorkeling, and night life. Any recommendations on where I hsould make home base? I have heard about Pattaya, Phuket, and of course Bangkok. Im not looking to spend too much money, but Im not trying to be totally cheap either. Would it be best to travel around every couple of days or stay in one spot and just travel from there?

Thanks for any insights you may have!

RoostKing...

travel around, start in Bangkok, move down to pattaya, then samui and then phuket.

each to there own, and after spending a few days in each location, you will know where you want to be

Pattaya is much cheaper for full service hotels and foreign food than other beach destinations for farangs and lots of shopping centers. You can't swim in the polluted water, but it looks pretty and swimming pools are everywhere.

Lots of nice, wholesome girls with tatooes and slutty makeup around to keep one company. :o

from July 27th through August 4th.

Hi Rooster :o because of the relatively short time you have, I would either go for a one stop, Bangkok and do some day trips from there or a two stopper, Bangkok and whichever takes your fancy, Chaning Mai/Pattaya/Hua Hin etc which ever floats your boat, have a look at the various Forums and choose for yourself.

Bangkok or Chaing Mai or Hua Hin or Pattaya

Just really what you are really looking for,

Good Luck

Moss

A wek barely allows you time to scratch the surface so I (personally) would resist the temptation to do too much.

Take the easy option of going straight to Pattaya, book for 5 nights in somewhere like the Queen Vic in Soi 6 www.queenvictoria-inn.com at circa 850 Baht a night for deluxe room it should come within your budget. No additional charge for any lady guests you may have - unlike some larger hotels. Good choice of western food and beers if that is to your taste.

This will give you a base that is central to all the nightlife and a place can guide you to right sort of place for snorkelling etc. It is also something of a comfort blanket in that there are always a good number of westerners around to give you the benefit of their advice.

If you have time and are so inclined have your last night or 2 in bangkok.

This is not advice for a cultural tour it is simply an R & R suggestion for someone who only has a week in Thailand.

travel around, start in Bangkok, move down to pattaya, then samui and then phuket.

each to there own, and after spending a few days in each location, you will know where you want to be

:o .......in 8 days ?...........he'll lose 2 days of traveling, at least.

LaoPo

Thailand from July 27th through August 4th. I need to unwind from a year in Iraq, so I thought thailand might be a good place to do it.
Don't waste your holidaytime traveling from A to B within Thailand. 1200 Baht from the airport gets you a taxis to Pattaya - no need to book many hotels empty - but the comment about The Quuen Vic is good. Take the hotel for a few days then move on if Soi 6 is not your thing, many hotels to choose from. Lively but a place to unwind for a week.

Save Phuket for some time in the future.

Bangkok too much a city - ok if you want to go shopping all day - no beach !

Thanks for all of the responses, I think I will take the advice and get to Pattaya as home base. I wanted to learn some scuba diving, but that may have to wait from another time. As long as I can get some nice pics of the marine life while snorkeling, I will be happy. Im definitely not into shopping so it sounds like that rules out Bangkok. One question. How far is Pattaya from Bangkok? Do the buses and or taxis run from the airport in Bangkok 24hr? I get into Bangkok from Kuwait at like 7:00 pm, is it reasonable to think that I can get to Pattaya at a decent hour or would it be best to just get a hotel in Bangkok for the night and head to Pattaya first thing the next day?

Thanks again and if anybody has some more specific info, let loose. In the mean time, its off to explore the forums!!!!!

RoostKing...

About an hour and a half if the taxi takes the toll roads. It will be a nightmare choosing one of the taxi touts at the airport.

I am not on commission from the Queen Vic but they can pick you up in an air-con minibus and take you straight to the Queen Vic. Can book this on-line. Not cheap at 1,800 Baht but a very good service.

I have a house outside Pattaya but book this taxi service because I am familiar with it, and them with me.

In any event, for my first trip and wanting to get to Pattaya by 10.00 pm, I would pre-book something.

Ok thanks Im looking at the Queen vic as we speak and will probably go that route. Id rather spend an extra 600 BAHT and know I am going to be where I need to be. This is probably a dumb question, but is Thailand basically open 24 hours a day? Will I get to Pattaya at 10:00 and be able to get a drink and some food?

Thanks again!

Ok thanks Im looking at the Queen vic as we speak and will probably go that route. Id rather spend an extra 600 BAHT and know I am going to be where I need to be. This is probably a dumb question, but is Thailand basically open 24 hours a day? Will I get to Pattaya at 10:00 and be able to get a drink and some food?

Thanks again!

At 10.am in Pattaya you can get anything you want. :o

Thanks again!

Of course. Bars were shutting early when I was there recently, but the early closing rule may have eased. Will still be open at 1am minimum and there are always 7/11s, which will never shut.

I don't wish to piss on your pattaya chips, but I would personally not go there given your criteria. Phuket sounds the best fit to me. Each has there own pros and cons though, but Phuket is better for beach, snorkeling and diving, whilst still offering a similar nightlife. More expensive, it's true, but not prohibitively so. And if you do go to Pattaya, for god's sake don't stay on Soi 6! The Queen Vic is fine as a hotel, but soi 6 most certainly is not. Avoid. The recently opened Laguna Hotel on Soi Buakhao is superb for the money - 500/600 baht a night, well equipped, good location and - a rarity for Pattaya - tasteful.

If you go to Phuket, fly Airasia or Nok. You might strike lucky and get promo flights - I recently got a return to Phuket for 1800 baht. If you do go to Pattaya, you should be able to get a bus down there at that time of night, but you'll have to get the AE3 from BKK to Ekkami bus station, then pick up a bus to Pattaya bus station, then a baht bus to your hotel. It's not as bad as it sounds - is actually relatively straightforward, but is up to you if you think saving a little money is worth shaving a good 2/3 hours off your holiday. Total cost 287 baht. Otherwise, get a taxi for around 1200.