Certificate Of Residence

An interesting point Lopburi. When I paid 100 Baht for my letter last year at Suan Phlu I naively assumed this was the standard fee and fully expected to be asked to pay 200 or 300 baht this time around. Forgive me if I'm wrong but you seem to be saying the certificate is free but I should pay a "tip". I have no particular problem with this bar the desire for a simple life.

After sleeping on the problem I came to the decision that I would in fact go the embassy route just because it's so much easier to get to since immigration moved. Today I discover after all the kerfuffle that according to TV I don't need a residence letter to renew my license (or do I if it's a move from temporary one year to five year? - gah!)

I will need proof of residence when I apply for an international drivers permit next year but again according to TV the proof of address must come from the embassy.

I still have all the documents which would enable me to get the Thai residence certificate if I could be bothered. I'm thinking of doing this when I am forced to visit immigration again to renew my visa. (They won't let me do it by post).

One final question. Is the Thai residence certificate valid until a new one is applied for on change of address, or do I have to renew it each year even if I'm still at the same place?

• 3 weeks later...

I went through this 2 weeks ago..

I am on a tourist visa and went to get a 1 year licence.

I needed a letter of residence and went to immigration, they were very helpful but said they could not issue one on my tourist visa but they would be happy to extend the visa for 30 days as i was sitting there in the office... so very polite and helpful but not for what i needed.

I,m a Brit so its the embassy or nothing and thats 2500 baht or something similar and i am rather peeved at having to pay them that sort of money.

There is the international licence available from the AA for about £20 all in depending what you need but i believe even though its valid for for 1 year you can only use it for 6 months for Thai law (think i read that on Thai immigration website or dreamt it and not surewtf i'm talking about)

I have applied for the international licence and will come back to Thailand from my next trip home with a 12 month none imm visa and get the letter from immigration.

Sorry to be rude but b0110x to the embassy for 2000baht just to type and stamp one piece of paper...

• 3 months later...

I Agree 2400 baht is ridiculous for a letter of residence

i am still toying with the idea of paying that as i have been to suan plu and told they wont give me one and i should go to my embassy

the reasons i need one is to register a car and buy a car in my name

Then a driving licence at a later date, and hopefully with the same docs...

i just hope the embassy letter works for vehicle reg and some Thai beurocrap doesnt say... oh cannot use embassy letter, have to use immigration letter. mai dai!

i am still toying with the idea of paying that as i have been to suan plu and told they wont give me one and i should go to my embassy

i just hope the embassy letter works for vehicle reg and some Thai beurocrap doesnt say... oh cannot use embassy letter, have to use immigration letter. mai dai!

Sorry two (2) separate letters one for buying car and another for obtaining a Thai drivers license. 4800 baht. :):D

Sorry two (2) separate letters one for buying car and another for obtaining a Thai drivers license. 4800 baht. :D:D

Or 3 letters :)

one for buying car

one for car thai drivers license

one for motorbike thai drivers license

I applied for my one year Thai driving license back in January, I went to the local Police station with the gf and she confirmed that I was living at her address, they gave me a signed form which I submitted with the rest of the required documents, sat the reflex test and colour tests, one hour later had my driving license issued. There was no charge required at the local Police station.

I would use the Embassy method rather than asking people to work for no fee.

I will need one soon done as well from the Australian embassy.

Is this certified letter address need to be write in Thai or English is ok ? or both ?

I would use the Embassy method rather than asking people to work for no fee.

I will need one soon done as well from the Australian embassy.

Is this certified letter address need to be write in Thai or English is ok ? or both ?

I would thank either or on the language. The only time I was directed Thia only was for my yellow house. book.

If memory serves me correct the residence letter can be photo copied and used for both the motorbike and auto licenses. No need for 2 originals.

Last december i received 2 orginal residence letters from pattaya immigration when i asked what i need for both car and motorbike dirverlisence

If remember correctly they asked 4 photos, passport, rental agreement, filled applications and 2*200baht and Certificates Of Residence were ready next day

Edited by thaitero

• 11 months later...
Immigration used to do this for free, but there was some move to charge a fee.

I did have to pay, I think it was 1200 Baht.

At Jomtien Immigration I paid THB 200 per copy (1 for the car driving licence and 1 for the motorbike driving licence).

I got my last one from Suan Phlu back in March and that was free, apart from 20 baht postage back to my house. It just takes them a long time to process it - mine took 3 weeks. OK if your not in a rush.

Here's the thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Month-notifi...icate+residence

SL.

At Jomtien Immigration (if you go in person) you can pick it up the next day.

Someone told me the other day that they could not regster their motorcycle in Chiang Mai using their work permit in leu of the letter of residence as used to be the case. The transport office insisted on the letter of residence.

I wonder what's up here in Chiang Mai?

Thats going to be a problem for a farang to register any vehicle if it is true.

Immigration in CM stopped issueing those letters a few months ago,I inquired again 2 weeks ago,they indicated they may do again in the future but could not say when.

This puts me in a very sticky position as I purchased a motorcycle in Pattaya recently,expecting to do the transfer there.

No such luck,the transport department require a certificate of residence..yep no problem,front up to Pattaya Immi but they can not issue a Residence Certificate as I was not a Chon Buri resident..oh and I also showed them the stat. dec. declaring my address in Thailand issued by the Aus embassy in Bkk the day before.Ok back to the transport dept.,no way will they accept that document,even after explaining to them that rego. office in CM will ONLY accept the stat dec from embassy.

Tea money(1,000) was gratiously accepted at the rego office pattaya but to no avail.

What are my options...oh and i am very reluctant to put the bike in my G/Fs name,but at the moment it may be my only choice.

Can you not keep the Chonburi number plate ?

My wife is driving around in Pattaya with a Sisaket number plate for years now.

An interesting point Lopburi. When I paid 100 Baht for my letter last year at Suan Phlu I naively assumed this was the standard fee and fully expected to be asked to pay 200 or 300 baht this time around. Forgive me if I'm wrong but you seem to be saying the certificate is free but I should pay a "tip". I have no particular problem with this bar the desire for a simple life.

After sleeping on the problem I came to the decision that I would in fact go the embassy route just because it's so much easier to get to since immigration moved. Today I discover after all the kerfuffle that according to TV I don't need a residence letter to renew my license (or do I if it's a move from temporary one year to five year? - gah!)

I will need proof of residence when I apply for an international drivers permit next year but again according to TV the proof of address must come from the embassy.

I still have all the documents which would enable me to get the Thai residence certificate if I could be bothered. I'm thinking of doing this when I am forced to visit immigration again to renew my visa. (They won't let me do it by post).

One final question. Is the Thai residence certificate valid until a new one is applied for on change of address, or do I have to renew it each year even if I'm still at the same place?

As to your last question: a residence certificate is valid for 30 days only.

• 8 months later...

AMAZING Thailand

I have a yellow house book

12 years in Thailand

just had (retirement) visa renewed

just had stat dec from Australian Embassy issued with address

supplied phone bill account with address

just did 90 days show face at Jomtien

supplied insurance with address

supplied green book with address

and still the motor registry requires a letter of residence

to sell motor bike