Stop Smoking, Helping Each Other to Quit

Hi pschef,

I can see that you are there patiently waiting for your question, well here it is:

What is Bueger’s Disease?

I'm in Laos too at the moment. I'm in a very remote place called Vieng Phouka, about a 3 hour drive from the Chiang Khong/Houay Xai border crossing. I'm working on a road project to connect Thailand to China via Northern Laos. I plan to spend the Songkran holidays around Chiang Rai if you fancy a beer?

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi pandit35,

I hope you have decided to put your reservations aside.

When you registered, you said

.................................There's just nothing to have/do without a smoke.

Your homework is to complete the following:

"It's something to do with my hands. So is playing with a loaded gun and they both have the same potential for harm................................................"

I'm all over the website and have bookmarked it for more reading but can't seem the answer to my question. Breaking for lunch and will read more of the website and see if I can find it but I've taken a few tests already and learning.

thanks and I'll get back on this,

Kringle

I'm all over the website and have bookmarked it for more reading but can't seem the answer to my question. Breaking for lunch and will read more of the website and see if I can find it but I've taken a few tests already and learning.

thanks and I'll get back on this,

Kringle

Kringle, take your time, Step 2 is not a race, the same goes to every one.

Hi kon-dee,

You must have got up early, that is if you are in Denmark.

When you registered, you said:

..........................tryed to quit 3 times. !

Within whyquit.com is an article entitled "Just One Little Puff".

Your task is to find that article and post the first paragraph and the URL of the article.

"Stop Smoking Project" - Thaivisa.com online self assist programme

JOIN UP NOW - just reply to this topic and stop smoke!

This thread has been established to run a step by step programme over the next few weeks with the objective of trying to help as many smokers as possible become non smokers.

I am not a doctor or hypnotist and do not guarantee success, however I am a reformed smoker who hopes that his experiences will help some one else quit the smoking habit.

The first step is registration; if you would like to join this online programme please submit a post giving your age, sex and brief details of your smoking habit.

Registration will be open only for a limited time, once registration is closed, only registered members will be allowed to make posts within the thread. This is necessary to maintain the continuity of the programme which will follow a pre-determined step by step process and thread rules which the registered members will be asked to follow.

I am 58, I previously quit for 12 years and ridiculously started again about 1 year ago. Have tried to quit again but without success. So, I am very interested and want to quit.

Edited by Tiger7Moth

Please sign me up. I need to/have to stop smoking. I have only smoked for four years, although I am 38 years old. I have an addictive personality and I love smoking. I tried to quit last week and got nowhere fast. I love smoking at night, late at night when I can't sleep. I smoke Dunhill international flown in from Malaysia which are very strong. When I left Canada I was dreaming about Canadian cigs for six months although I had switched to Marlboro Red. That was three years ago.

I quit smoking for three days and it wasn't that hard but that was that.

How can I quit????

"Stop Smoking Project" - Thaivisa.com online self assist programme

JOIN UP NOW - just reply to this topic and stop smoke!

This thread has been established to run a step by step programme over the next few weeks with the objective of trying to help as many smokers as possible become non smokers.

I am not a doctor or hypnotist and do not guarantee success, however I am a reformed smoker who hopes that his experiences will help some one else quit the smoking habit.

The first step is registration; if you would like to join this online programme please submit a post giving your age, sex and brief details of your smoking habit.

Registration will be open only for a limited time, once registration is closed, only registered members will be allowed to make posts within the thread. This is necessary to maintain the continuity of the programme which will follow a pre-determined step by step process and thread rules which the registered members will be asked to follow.

I am 58, I previously quit for 12 years and ridiculously started again about 1 year ago. Have tried to quit again but without success. So, I am very interested and want to quit.

Hello Tiger7Moth,

Sorry but registration is closed, however you are welcome to follow the thread as a "Sleeper", your opportunity to join will come later. Please remember don't forget to remember your "Wake Up Call". :o

Please sign me up.  I need to/have to stop smoking.  I have only smoked for four years, although I am 38 years old.  I have an addictive personality and I love smoking.  I tried to quit last week and got nowhere fast.  I love smoking at night, late at night when I can't sleep.  I smoke Dunhill international flown in from Malaysia which are very strong.  When I left Canada I was dreaming about Canadian cigs for six months although I had switched to Marlboro Red.  That was three years ago.

I quit smoking for three days and it wasn't that hard but that was that.

How can I quit????

Hi justaskdan,

Sorry, the same goes for you to, registration is closed, however you are welcome to follow the thread as a "Sleeper", your opportunity to join will come later. Please remember don't forget to remember your "Wake Up Call". :o

Wolfie,

Your question.

The definition of the Law of Addiction within whyquit.com is:

"Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment

of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Complete the following:

"If you have remained nicotine free for 72 hours then your blood is now 100% nicotine free.  Your withdrawal symptoms have peaked and are now beginning to gradually subside. ....................................................."

For you, physical nicotine withdrawal is all but over. The best way to guarantee that your cycle of physical withdrawal is a never ending story is to ingest nicotine back into your blood. This is the "Law of Nicotine Addiction."

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksEHell.html

Wolfie,

Your question.

Complete the following:

"If you have remained nicotine free for 72 hours then your blood is now 100% nicotine free.  Your withdrawal symptoms have peaked and are now beginning to gradually subside. ....................................................."

For you, physical nicotine withdrawal is all but over. The best way to guarantee that your cycle of physical withdrawal is a never ending story is to ingest nicotine back into your blood. This is the "Law of Nicotine Addiction."

Well done Wolfie, you are on your way.

HERE IS A HEADS UP

The Candy Jar

Just before I quit I set up three (3) candy jars. The one at home is a ceramic teddy bear, I think it is meant to be a cookie jar; the one at work and the one in my golf bag are Tupperware type boxes I bought in Robinson.

I still keep them topped up and experiment with the different boiled sweets on offer; my favourites are those chewy My Mint and Coryfin-C which some restaurants hand out after your meal. I eat 2 or 3 sweets a day.

I find the work candy jar handy for meetings; it's difficult to suck and argue at the same time. :o

Here is an example of a "Wake Up Call".

"To get a sense of what it feels like to breathe with emphysema take a deep breath and hold it. Without letting out any air, take in another deep breath. Hold that one too. One more time, take in one more breath. Okay let it all out.

That second or third breath is what it feels like to breathe when you have advanced emphysema. Emphysema is a disease where you cannot exhale air. Everyone thinks that it is a disease where you cannot inhale but in fact it is the opposite. When you smoke you destroy the lungs elasticity by destroying the tissue that pulls your lung back together after using muscles that allow us to inhale air. So when it comes time to take your next breath it is that much more difficult, for your lungs could not get back to their original shape. "

Wow, that really hit home with me after I tried it.

I think with some more education, I will really be able to quit.

Admission - I just had my first of the day at 3.30 pm.

One tip from a friend who quit - everytime you have a cig., repeat to yourself, "I am not a smoker".

So true, even if you cut the amount, you are still addicted.

I know one person who says that only on one cig a day she is still hopelessly hooked.

Edited by Neeranam

Heres my Wake Up Call

One of the articles i found interesting...

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/joelcigfriend.html

How do you feel about a friend who has to go everywhere with you? Not only does he tag along all the time, but since he is so offensive and vulgar, you become unwelcome when with him. He has a peculiar odor that sticks to you wherever you go. Others think both of you stink.

He controls you totally. When he says jump, you jump. Sometimes in the middle of a blizzard or storm, he wants you to come to the store and pick him up. You would give your spouse ###### if he or she did that to you all the time, but you can't argue with your friend. Sometimes, when you are out at a movie or play he says he wants you to go stand in the lobby with him and miss important scenes. Since he calls all the shots in your life, you go. Your friend doesn't like your choice of clothing either. Instead of politely telling you that you have lousy taste, he burns little holes in these items so you will want to throw them out. Sometimes, he tires of the furniture and gets rid of it too. Occasionally, he gets really nasty and decides the whole house must go.

He gets pretty expensive to support. Not only is his knack of property destruction costly, but you must pay to keep him with you. In fact, he will cost you thousands of dollars over your lifetime. And you can count on one thing, he will never pay you a penny in return.

Often at picnics you watch others playing vigorous activities and having lots of fun doing them. But your friend won't let you. He doesn't believe in physical activity. In his opinion, you are too old to have that kind of fun. So he kind of sits on your chest and makes it difficult for you to breathe. Now you don't want to go off and play with other people when you can't breathe, do you?

Your friend does not believe in being healthy. He is really repulsed by the thought of you living a long and productive life. So every chance he gets he makes you sick. He helps you catch colds and flu. Not just by running out in the middle of the lousy weather to pick him up at the store. He is more creative than that. He carries thousands of poisons with him which he constantly blows in your face. When you inhale some of them, they wipe out cilia in your lungs which would have helped you prevent these diseases.

But colds and flu are just his form of child's play. He especially likes diseases that slowly cripple you—like emphysema. He considers this disease great. Once he gets you to have this, you will give up all your other friends, family, career goals, activities—everything. You will just sit home and caress him, telling him what a great friend he is while you desperately gasp for air.

But eventually your friend tires of you. He decides he no longer wishes to have your company. Instead of letting you go your separate ways, he decides to kill you. He has a wonderful arsenal of weapons behind him. In fact, he has been plotting your death since the day you met him. He picked all the top killers in society and did everything in his power to ensure you would get one of them. He overworked your heart and lungs. He clogged up the arteries to your heart, brain, and every other part of your body. In case you were too strong to succumb to this, he constantly exposed you to cancer causing agents. He knew he would get you sooner or later.

Well, this is the story of your "friend," your cigarette. No real friend would do all this to you. Cigarettes are the worst possible enemies you ever had. They are expensive, addictive, socially unacceptable, and deadly. Consider all this and NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel

Hi Neeranam,

Now you're getting it.

So true, even if you cut the amount, you are still addicted.

Understanding the addiction is the key.

Now, here is your question.

Within whyquit.com you will find "Best Crave Coping Tips" at

http://groups.msn.com/FreedomFromTobaccoQu...364470768911753

Your task is to post your top 10 tips.

Wolfie,

Your question.

Complete the following:

Well done Wolfie, you are on your way.

There are no loopholes in the law of addiction. The law of addiction simply states that administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment of the dependence on the addictive substance. The day that you all toss away your "last" cigarette, you will all be placed "on probation" for the rest of your life. While it may seem harsh and unfair, to many, smoking is a crime punishable by death. Don't try to cheat the system, after you stop just -

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Hi Ravisher,

...................................It is not the quitting that is so difficult, it is living with the craving that I cannot stand.

Your homework is to complete the following:

" Just like the lingering thought of a nice juicy steak, lobster in butter sauce, or fresh baked hot apple pie, you can make yourself "think" about having a cigarette all day long, if that's what you really want to do. .........................................."

"Just like the thought of buttered lobster or a hot apple pie that is so vivid that you can almost taste it, a "thought" doesn't harm us and if we want, we can be push it out of our minds almost as quickly as it arrived. It may sound like semantics but during recovery a passing "thought" really isn't a "crave" any more than a stiff breeze can be considered a hurricane. But if the mind no longer recalls what the hurricane was like, it has no point of reference and can very easily get lost or confused."

I read an awful lot while searching for this information... (about 1 hour) The problem I found was, although I read the first few pages word for word, I soon started to 'skip' through much of the writing in 'search' for the answer you asked for.

I also think that this is an over simplification, that craving is just a "thought". Because of my heart disease 'buttered lobster' is obviously OFF my diet... I LOVE buttered lobster, and have no problem in letting it pass as 'just a thought'. However, I cannot do the same when wanting to smoke a cigarette.

Ravisher.

Whyquit.com tells us

"If you have remained nicotine free for 72 hours then your blood is now 100% nicotine free. Your withdrawal symptoms have peaked and are now beginning to gradually subside."

Okay you are a special case; you need more than 72 hours to cleanse your blood, how many hours 96, 120, 144 hours? If you are still craving after say 144 hours and it is not "just a thought" what is the reason for the crave, because, according to the experts, your blood has been 100% nicotine free for the past 72 hours.

For Ravisher more homework, your next question.

"What causes your craves after your blood nicotine level has been reduced to 100% nicotine free?"

Your answer is within whyquit.com

The way i see it Rav, its a week of pure h3ll, followed by a month of h3ll.

That first week is gunna be the hardest part, if we can get through that... we stand a fighting chance.

I've pre-warned my workmates, its only fair as im going to be the grouchy arse in the office when its happening... :D:o:D

Hi Malcolm, I have not had my question yet- but I am sorry but the phrase early to bed -early to rise is my motto.

I have looked at the why quit site in some detail today and I am glad I did, some things on there are appallling but in a "Wake UP' way.

Anything you send me will be addressed tommorow.

Kind Regards

TP

Here is the full article (below)! Beside after looking at: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/smokersbody.jpg

I nearly took out my food!

starting point of stop smoking is tomorrow morning, as I do not smoke during the night, I get the first 8 hours for free :o

good luck to everyone, specialy Pandit......

Procrastation recovery denial makes the next puff of toxins easier to suck down. Nicotine tells this junkie that they cannot quit until their friend or loved one quits too as they're around their smoke, smells, cigarettes, breath and ashtrays, and quitting is thus impossible. It's pure denial and often both friends or loved ones use the other as their excuse to remain enslaved. How long will you continue to destroy your body while waiting for someone else to quit with you? A lifetime? If and when they do quit with you, what will you do if they relapse? Will "love" cause you to do the same? One of you needs to stand tall, continue on and lead the way. It's okay to have hope for a loved one but you mustquit for "you" or it's doomed from the very start. Why make your freedom, health or life dependent upon another person's decision. As for being around smokers, don't we all do it? Isn't it just a matter of degree? Will planet earth's 1.2 billion nicotine smokers disappear once commence recovery? Won't you still see them and smell their smoke at restaurants, as they stand around outside stores or even hospitals, or as they puff away in the car beside you? Will all the stores pull-down their cigarette displays or move them from arms reach just because you are trying to reclaim your mind and life? Don't live the lie that "I smoke for love!"

h90,

........................In my office incl. my wife everyone is smoking and cigarrets are all the time in reachable arrea.

Complete the following statement:

" Procrastation recovery denial makes the next puff of toxins easier to suck down. Nicotine tells this junkie that they cannot quit until their friend or loved one quits too as they're around their smoke, smells, cigarettes, breath and ashtrays, and quitting is thus impossible. It's pure denial and often both friends or loved ones use the other as their excuse to remain enslaved. .................................................."

Here are my top 10 tips for combatting cravings:-

1- Exercise(whether going to the gym, jogging, or a brisk walk.

2- Dancing and singing aloud to loud music.

3- Taking a shower - pretty hard to smoke, plus keeping coolin this heat. cravings tend to last only 5 minutes, so after the shower they have gone.

4- Go shopping

5- Drink a full glass of water.

6- Eat chocolate.

7- Chew gum.

8- Cut drinking straws to chew, pretending you are smoking.

9- Keep a rubber band around your wrist.

10- Playing computer games or posting on TV.

Neeranam:

I can confirm: when playing a computer game which does not need thinking, only fast reaction, I really forget about smoking that works.

Reading a REAL good book also helps.

Sitting in the full sun also helps for me, if I total overheat, I don't want to smoke. But might be dangerous for long term use.

Go shopping is too dangerous for my wallet, but thanks a lot for the idea with the shower, I'll try that.

Here are my top 10 tips for combatting cravings:-

1- Exercise(whether going to the gym, jogging, or a brisk walk.

2- Dancing and singing aloud to loud music.

3- Taking a shower - pretty hard to smoke, plus keeping coolin this heat. cravings tend to last only 5 minutes, so after the shower they have gone.

4- Go shopping

5- Drink a full glass of water.

6- Eat chocolate.

7- Chew gum.

8- Cut drinking straws to chew, pretending you are smoking.

9- Keep a rubber band around your wrist.

10- Playing computer games or posting on TV.

:o:D you stopped before the date h90 !

:D well good for you. I have my resolution set for the date when it comes.

I have always been able to easily stop for an afternoon, a day, or 3 days. Even 3 weeks at a time. I can handle the withdrawel easily enough. But the thing that this thread and the web site is making me realise is that I have never intended to stop for good. If I stop now it is just for another break from it like all the times before. So the date when it comes marks the vast change of heart. This time it will be NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.

Quite seriously, h90 stopping is a good impetus for me to do the same, with the intention of making it permanent this time.

My homework answer is

So is playing with a loaded gun and they both have the same potential for harm.  This weak addiction rationalization ignores that doodling with a pen, playing with coins, squeezing a ball or using strength grippers may be habit forming but are non-addictive.  You might get ink on yourself, rich or strong wrists but your chances of serious injury or death are almost zero.

As for the wake up call - I can't see a better one than the solid effort and resolution of others in this forum, i.e. that we do all really wish to stop. And the inspiring effort that malcolm is making on our behalf.

But, if the wake up call must come from that site alone it must be (so far) The first puff will probably reinforce the addiction to cigarettes which is a much greater crisis than the flat tire ever was. In fact, taking the first puff almost always results in a bigger problem than the crisis that "caused" them to take the puff

Since I am involved with meditation, and even help teach it - this going through stress = accepting and letting go of suffering - which is what I am supposed to be good at.

Since I am involved with meditation, and even help teach it - this going through stress = accepting and letting go of suffering - which is what I am supposed to be good at.

Meditation is great!

Not everyone can do it though.

It can take years to be able to sit still for 20 min.

Not all require the need to sit.

It is very hard to start meditation when going through withdrawals.

Maybe best to learn whilst still smoking?

Hi Malcolm,

My time searching for the answer was well spent!

Up to now I was convinced that the cigarettes I had on my balcony

after a stressfull day helped me to put things in perspective and calm

down but apparantly the cigarettes had nothing to do with it...

Is there something like a good substitute?

for example meditation sounds good, since I expect that replacing the cigs

with an extra bottle of Singha is not a really good idea? :o

cheers

It reduces my stress and helps calm me down

This health intellectualization is false. The body's pH balance is delicate. Nicotine is an alkaloid and stress an acid producing event. The more stressful the event the quicker the body's remaining nicotine reserves are neutralized (in the same manner as pouring a baking soda solution on an acid covered car battery terminal). The stressed smoker is thrown into early chemical withdrawal adding additional anxiety to the underlying original stressful event. It's why the anxiety associated with a flat tire causes smokers to reach for a cigarette while the non-smoker reaches for a jack. The anxieties build until the doubly stressed smoker cries out "I NEED A CIGARETTE!" Within eight seconds of the first puff, the smoker's nicotine blood serum nicotine level rises and their withdrawal anxieties subside. The addict is left with the false impression that smoking cured the underlying stressful event when in fact the tire is still flat. All non-smokers experience stress too. The difference is that they don't add early nicotine withdrawal to each stressful event. In truth, stress nicotine depletion causes smokers to experience far more anxiety than non-smokers. In truth, it is much easier and calmner being the real "you" than it is living as a chemical slave

tors,

Here is your question.

When you registered you said:

........................ but unfortunately started again in a period of stress;

so I could use some help...

How does whyquit .com response to the following statement:

"It reduces my stress and helps calm me down."

For you a clue also, your answer starts:

" This health intellectualization is false. The body's pH balance is delicate. Nicotine is an alkaloid and stress an acid producing event. ............................."

Hi kon-dee,

You must have got up early, that is if you are in Denmark.

..........................tryed to quit 3 times. !

Within whyquit.com is an article entitled "Just One Little Puff".

Your task is to find that article and post the first paragraph and the URL of the article.

Hi Malcolm.

I was up early! :o

Just had a few minutes before going to work. Didn't see your question before logging off again though.

Here's the URL: "Just One Little Puff?""

Not a pleasant website, but a great motivation to quit!!

kon-dee

hi

on sunday the thought of quitting always on my mind, i smoked less than usuall and the last cig at around 9pm as the box was empty. did'nt go out to buy a new box as i usually would do and stayed up until around midnight without cig - no prob! yesterday morning had my coffee without ciggy and felt fine. then i had to go to the market etc but on my way back stopped at 7 to get a pack :o smoked one before cooking lunch and one after the meal. then had a nap. in the afternoon i had to do some cleaning in the house and gardening, smoked a cig every 30-40 minutes or so when i took a break :D it's like a reward for what i have done, cause it's so hot and every half hour or so i was covered in sweat and had to sit down and drink some water. actually while working looking forward to the ciggy - reward :D

also read through lots of pages of the whyquit site and especially the stories and pics of the tobacco victims made me very sad. so i at least managed to 'only' smoke 15 cigs yesterday which is about half of my usual daily use.

the longer a cig-free period is the less i enjoy the first cig again, makes me dizzy and and tired :D when i quit for 6 mths i tried a cig after 3 mths on new years eve and extinguished it after 3 puffs, really made me sick! so 'one puff again and I'm hooked again' doesn't apply to me i guess.

actually I only smoke when sitting at the computer, when on the phone, after morning coffee and after meals, when going out with friends and for 'reward'. when I'm outside (for a walk or sitting in the garden or shopping etc.) i never feel to have a cig! also when on the sofa reading a book or watching movie i never smoke, strange isn't it? :D