Ctpl Not Required With First Class Insurance Soon

Thaivisa Insurance is the first to announce that 180 days from 28th August 2008 you will not have to buy the CTPL insurance if you have the Class1 insurance. This applies to both vehicles and m/cycles.

Does that mean if I renew my CTPL on 28 Aug I will only pay for and receive a certificate for 180 days?

Or will I have to pay for one year then throw the sticker away in 180 days?

Probably the latter assuming TIT

P

Thaivisa Insurance is the first to announce that 180 days from 28th August 2008 you will not have to buy the CTPL insurance if you have the Class1 insurance. This applies to both vehicles and m/cycles.

What a poor quality, rushed, post. If the announcement merits a post, please use clear English. As is, this post is quite meaningless.

Does that mean if I renew my CTPL on 28 Aug I will only pay for and receive a certificate for 180 days?

Or will I have to pay for one year then throw the sticker away in 180 days?

Probably the latter assuming TIT

P

Sorry, your assumption is correct, you will still have to pay for the year – typically 646 Baht.

What a poor quality, rushed, post. If the announcement merits a post, please use clear English. As is, this post is quite meaningless.

Must agree Khonwan.

Please clarify:-

Is this a change in the law i.e. ALL 1st class insurance will not need CTPL, or is it a Thaivisa Insurance special whereby 1st class will include CTPL in the premium from 24th February 2009.

Either way seems sensible :o

Edited by Crossy

Assuming I have it right and CTPL is the 'red sticker' you will now have blank windscreens. (from 24 Feb 2009)

This will mean :

1. The vehicle has 1st Class Insurance.

2. The vehicle has no insurance whatsoever.

Hummm.

Assuming I have it right and CTPL is the 'red sticker' you will now have blank windscreens. (from 24 Feb 2009)

This will mean :

Hummm.

It has been sometime now that the CTPL sticker has not been used, they now issue a policy document the same as normal insurance, this change took place about 3 months or so ago. So the assumption if the vehicle has no sticker it has no insurance is not going to always be the case.

This will mean :

Hummm.

No that is not correct.

You will still display your road tax sticker (what we would call Rego Sticker).

What you do not display any longer x months is the CTPL, as another poster has already said.

Edited by mijan24

This will mean :

Hummm.

No that is not correct.

You will still display your road tax sticker (what we would call Rego Sticker).

What you do not display any longer x months is the CTPL, as another poster has already said.

Now I am totally confused :o

You used to have to display 2 stickers.

1. Insurance 2. CTPL ( the red sticker with the year on '2552' etc.)

2. The insurance sticker requirement was ended some time ago so only the the '2552' needed to be visible.

That requirement will end in Feb 2009

I have never heard of Road tax in Thailand

Perhaps Thai visa insurance can clarify this all?

P

There used to be 2 stickers – one for the CTPL and one for the Road Tax.

As of April 2007 the CTPL sticker ceased to be.

There is still the requirement to have – and show – the Road Tax sticker.

*At present you still need the CTPL even if you have the Class 1 insurance.

*You will need to show the CTPL ‘ticket’ when you go for your annual Road Tax.

*Every vehicle/motorcycle has to have Road Tax.

*The amount of Road Tax to pay is shown in the back of the registration book.

One of the confusions, including myself, was what does CTPL stand for and had to guess it was referring to the Compulsory Insurance, or Por Lor Bor. Maybe that will help clear it up for some members.

One of the confusions, including myself, was what does CTPL stand for and had to guess it was referring to the Compulsory Insurance, or Por Lor Bor. Maybe that will help clear it up for some members.

There was an interesting article about CTPL in the Bangkok post some 6+months ago, the claims submitted are almost nil making it (CTPL) a cash cow for the underwring companies and I imagine those in its pipeline.

Thanks for the clarification. I was guessing as well.

Still don't understand what 180 days from a date in August is all about. Why didn't they just say 24th Feb 2552 or whatever the date when it kicks in?

Thanks for the clarification. I was guessing as well.

Still don't understand what 180 days from a date in August is all about. Why didn't they just say 24th Feb 2552 or whatever the date when it kicks in?

This is the way the Thai Government changes Laws. They can only change a law after a period of 180 days from the date it was passed.

So-----------if my road tax and first class insurance come due in November this year I will still have to pay the CTPL?

Going by TVI answer to me in post 4 - I assume you will pay. The new law does not come into effect untill 24 Feb 09.

Could be worse, some people I assume will run out on 23 Feb 09. Keep it in the garage or pay for one year for one day!!

TIT

P

• 6 months later...

Hi Is this law still being changed on the 24th Feb? If it is and your road tax & ctpl is due for renewal on the 13th Feb can you wait until the 24th Feb and renew then without paying for ctpl and just pay the fine for the days your late with road tax I think its 20 baht for every 100 baht of your tax bill per day is this true.?

Regards

Scotsman

Hi Is this law still being changed on the 24th Feb? If it is and your road tax & ctpl is due for renewal on the 13th Feb can you wait until the 24th Feb and renew then without paying for ctpl and just pay the fine for the days your late with road tax I think its 20 baht for every 100 baht of your tax bill per day is this true.?

Regards

Scotsman

Unfortunately there has been a change in Government – more than one ? – so nothing has been signed off. Still awaiting for more news.

I am still very confused.........

I sold my car last September which I had 11 months remaining 1st class insurance, I was told this cannot be transfered to my present car, so all the insurance paper went to the new owner...

The car I bought was over 10yrs old, so cannot get 1st class insurance.... Right?

I changed myself non Thai speaking the blue book into my own name, as I live in a Different Provence I had to have new number plates, a week later went back and picked up the plates had the test done on the car, and had to pay for new Road Tax as of course different number plate, from what I could make out this Compulsory Insurance is included in the Road Tax, is this right?

Or have I been driving around for the past 5 months with no insurance at all ??

I have 1st class Insurance on the truck as I bought in new last May. but confused on what options there are on the car because it is 10 years old.

Edited by ignis

We cannot supply 1st Class (Fully Comprehensive) insurance to cars of 10 years of age.

However, we can offer the next best policy called 2 +1. This means the vehicle is covered for Third Party, Fire & Theft PLUS an agreed amount for your own vehicle if involved in an accident with another vehicle i.e. "almost" 1st Class.

The CTPL (Government Compulsory) is not included in the Vehicle Tax, however one needs to show it to obtain the Vehicle Tax.

Note : CTPL is not expensive, 646 Baht for cars.

We cannot supply 1st Class (Fully Comprehensive) insurance to cars of 10 years of age.

However, we can offer the next best policy called 2 +1. This means the vehicle is covered for Third Party, Fire & Theft PLUS an agreed amount for your own vehicle if involved in an accident with another vehicle i.e. "almost" 1st Class.

The CTPL (Government Compulsory) is not included in the Vehicle Tax, however one needs to show it to obtain the Vehicle Tax.

Note : CTPL is not expensive, 646 Baht for cars.

Wonder why the Vehicle Taxation Office gave me my number plates and Road tax, as all I paid was 1,740baht Road Tax + 45baht for the 2 number plates

For the past 20 odd years have always had new cars + 1st Class (Fully Comprehensive) insurance, cannot justify paying over 5 million baht for a new car, so my present car is 11 years old [@ 116,000 km, its just run in] 1 owner and a fraction of the cost which was over 3 million when new

Update: Re my post Or have I been driving around for the past 5 months with no insurance at all

I asked one of my neighbors he is an officer in the road taxation 'one stop' office....

He came and looked at my car window Tax Disc, and told me that I do have this CTPL, and that it would have been transferred from the old registration number that was on the car ??

When I bought the car it had a new 1 week old yearly Tax Disc..

scotsman thanks will ask my Insurance Company as I had been with them Claim Free for 4 years on a car, + I started with them on 30% NCB as I brought with me proof from UK of over 15 years No Claims.

Here it is confusing as one Company will say one thing and another something different.. As here the Vehicle is Insured, some say that when you buy another Vehicle you have to start all over with the Insurance.. Yet on the Truck I bought last May I started on 40% discount as my old Truck was claims free. and my car as I said above started on 30% discount re proof from UK, yet in UK it is the person not just the car that has the Insurance.

Edited by ignis