4 Scams - Airport

Taxi Driver

If you have luggage in the boot - make sure the driver gets out before you do. I saw an elderly couple get out and the taxi drive off. So a couple of old timers spend a holiday here, probably spent half their time and savings on buying things for the family back home - and one bastard ruins it. May he rot in hel_l.

Duty Free

This is a long story but worth reading thru - told be a close friend of her friend. I'll try and keep it simple. HK girl buys cosmetics from Duty Free. Uses her card. Walks to gate. gets stopped by police claiming she didn't pay. She's unable to find her receipt. Police agree to let her get on the flight for USD3000. She tells em 'no way'. Insists on going back to shop to verify. Instead they take her for an interview. (a falang is also undergoing a similar experience there). She tells em she'll call HSBC to verify transaction. They claim it is not enough proof. She stands her ground. And then gets put in a cell for 48 hours. Her passport and belongings, including phone, are withdrawn. 48 hours later she's given a list of solicitors and is allowed to call one. Price tag: THB30K for his services. Another THB3K for bail. Passport not returned. No option but to remain in Thailand for an indefinite period. Receives statement from HSBC - lo and behold - value of transaction is lower than the price of the goods that she 'paid' for. No legs to stand on. Solicitor asks for a further THB30K to arrange for her to get the case dropped and passport returned. This whole story lasted 6 weeks. She's currently taking legal action. So, it seems, there's a nice network within the realms of the airport. Am surprised it took em so long to get the system going.

Lock yer Bags

The baggage handlers may go through your bag eventually. G/F works for TG. The stories are endless. Including bags rifled through from the overhead cabins. Not just on TG.

Customs

Granted - he was in the wrong. Tried bringing through 6 cartons of cigarettes. And got stumped for a THB25K fine. Did at least manage to salvage a carton! Which he probably went through as soon as he got out of the airport. Furthermore - I now understand that once getting past customs you might encounter a couple of 'customs officers' waiting for you at the other side.

Great adverts for tourism/business.

Any other warnings out there?

Edited by grannyfopes

What a ridiculous post.

I completey agree!! I especially enjoyed the duty free story! Friend of the friend always smells of urban legend. Working for the airlines as long as I have, I never heard of anything like that happening in duty free. Too many people including immigration, duty free, police all would have to involved. Completely ridiculous!

I'm sure the first story could happen but usually the driver does not even get out of the taxi anyway, and 75pct of the time I can't even fit my carry bag in the trunk because of the NGV tank they have in there.

I love these alarmist posts! Better stay home and hide or at least don't travel with the OP!

What a ridiculous post.

I completey agree!! I especially enjoyed the duty free story! Friend of the friend always smells of urban legend. Working for the airlines as long as I have, I never heard of anything like that happening in duty free. Too many people including immigration, duty free, police all would have to involved. Completely ridiculous!

I'm sure the first story could happen but usually the driver does not even get out of the taxi anyway, and 75pct of the time I can't even fit my carry bag in the trunk because of the NGV tank they have in there.

I love these alarmist posts! Better stay home and hide or at least don't travel with the OP!

Haha.

The OP does not know there is a boarding pass check before any sale at Duty Free, swiped or manually typed in.

Would anyone go to the "detention room" even with the receipt lost before going back to the sales counter to retreive the sales record?

2 of us spent some time responding but the thread is worthless.

78 times I have flown into BKK and have never had any problems.

(OK, flightcrew, you could be doing that more often than me)

What a ridiculous post.

ya the whole post is B.S :o

1. Driver always gets out first (common sense), besides why would he want my clothing?

2. Duty Free - sh*e wouldnt make it 5 steps beyond the register, enough staff roaming around and watching you to stop a terrorist plot.

3. Never lock my bags, nought in there besides clothing and found in the past my locks being cut off by security screeners.

4. Totally acceptable, this is why they have dutymen catch people trying to smuggle in contraband and not pay tax on them.

I came through about 2 weeks ago, straight through customs as normal, with a Dubai duty free bag in hand. i book the AOT limo and am walking out through the doors when I see the guy in the blue uniform eyeing up my bag, I know whats coming and he speaks to the AOT guy who puts my luggage down. He says you have cigarettes in the bag, I say no I dont smoke and I dont drink. (Bizzarely thats true). he still wants to look in the bag so I tell hime very politely that its a singing penguin for my 2 year old. He motions towards my luggage bag and again I say I dont drink and I dont smoke. He reluctantly lets me on my way without checking my luggage bag. I travel through the airport every 6 weeks so this does not bother me at all, its just an inconvenience but to a first time visitor who has just cleared customs and therefore is now totally groundside of the airport, it can be intimidating when these guys stop you from leaving the airport. Does anyone know who they are and what department they are with. is it official or a scam?

It's pretty easy to be smart-arsed with feedback. To be honest I might do the same if someone else wrote it. If I could be bothered. Personally I have never had a problem at the airport either despite going through the place once or twice a week. However I put them down as a means to be mindful - that's all. If it makes one person more wary then it's worth writing about.

I came through about 2 weeks ago, straight through customs as normal, with a Dubai duty free bag in hand. i book the AOT limo and am walking out through the doors when I see the guy in the blue uniform eyeing up my bag, I know whats coming and he speaks to the AOT guy who puts my luggage down. He says you have cigarettes in the bag, I say no I dont smoke and I dont drink. (Bizzarely thats true). he still wants to look in the bag so I tell hime very politely that its a singing penguin for my 2 year old. He motions towards my luggage bag and again I say I dont drink and I dont smoke. He reluctantly lets me on my way without checking my luggage bag. I travel through the airport every 6 weeks so this does not bother me at all, its just an inconvenience but to a first time visitor who has just cleared customs and therefore is now totally groundside of the airport, it can be intimidating when these guys stop you from leaving the airport. Does anyone know who they are and what department they are with. THAI EXCISE is it official or a scam? OFFICIAL

Regarding taxi drivers, I'm sure there are the odd exceptions. For us, when we have something stored, I can't think of a single taxi driver we've ever encountered that didn't get out, not only take said items out, but even help carry them to the curb. We tend to have friendly chit-chats with the drivers anyway along the way.

That said, it's still a good idea to remind the driver, to avoid any forgetting.

Edited by AmeriThai

Taxi Driver

If you have luggage in the boot - make sure the driver gets out before you do. I saw an elderly couple get out and the taxi drive off. So a couple of old timers spend a holiday here, probably spent half their time and savings on buying things for the family back home - and one bastard ruins it. May he rot in hel_l.

Well, this happens about as often as solar eclipses and from what I've read is considerably more likely to happen in Cairo or Mexico City.

I wonder how often people get out of a taxi and start heading for the terminal, either forgetting their luggage, or for some reason expecting the driver to unload it and carry it in for them ?

And if you got out of the taxi, and he sped off with your luggage still in the trunk, I would think a quick shout to the police and the guy wouldn't likely make it to far (loads of security and few alternative routes to get away from the airport). That's assuming the security actually reacted of course. :o

Duty Free

This is a long story but worth reading thru - told be a close friend of her friend. I'll try and keep it simple. HK girl buys cosmetics from Duty Free. Uses her card. Walks to gate. gets stopped by police claiming she didn't pay. She's unable to find her receipt. Police agree to let her get on the flight for USD3000. She tells em 'no way'. Insists on going back to shop to verify. Instead they take her for an interview. (a falang is also undergoing a similar experience there). She tells em she'll call HSBC to verify transaction. They claim it is not enough proof. She stands her ground. And then gets put in a cell for 48 hours. Her passport and belongings, including phone, are withdrawn. 48 hours later she's given a list of solicitors and is allowed to call one. Price tag: THB30K for his services. Another THB3K for bail. Passport not returned. No option but to remain in Thailand for an indefinite period. Receives statement from HSBC - lo and behold - value of transaction is lower than the price of the goods that she 'paid' for. No legs to stand on. Solicitor asks for a further THB30K to arrange for her to get the case dropped and passport returned. This whole story lasted 6 weeks. She's currently taking legal action. So, it seems, there's a nice network within the realms of the airport. Am surprised it took em so long to get the system going.

Apparently a 4th hand story, no doubt various details have been omitted/embellished/misheard by the time the OP heard the story. If I'm reading the underlined/bolded sentence correctly, the value of the goods she had in her possesion were worth more than the what HSBC says the transaction value was. In other words, either a clerk didn't tally all the purchases correctly, or the subject of this story acquired a couple of items without paying for them (aka shop-lifted them).

The story seems suspect. If police were running around shaking people down in the airport as alleged above, I'm sure we would have heard many more similar stories by now, and not just on internet forums.

Lock yer Bags

The baggage handlers may go through your bag eventually. G/F works for TG. The stories are endless. Including bags rifled through from the overhead cabins. Not just on TG.

Baggage handlers rifling carry-ons in the overhead bins ? :D With the passenger (assumedly) sitting underneath ? As for checked baggage, I'm sure that it happens once in awhile. But for the handlers to be rifling bags on a regular basis would require a large number of them to all be in on it, in those very short and busy moments when the bags come out of the containers onto the luggage carosels (and visa-versa). It's not like they have loads of time to pick through which bag(s) are likely to have anything worth stealing in them.

I've been on 7 International and 2 Domestic flights in the last 2 weeks. I've seen loads of luggage being checked in/picked up and a lot of those were not in the best condition (over-packed, worn-out, etc). I'm sure that during the loading/unloading procedures some bags simply fall apart/break open. I've had to toss out old suitcases when the zippers or clasps broke, but it appears a lot of people still use them with the hope that they'll make it through one more trip.

Customs

Granted - he was in the wrong. Tried bringing through 6 cartons of cigarettes. And got stumped for a THB25K fine. Did at least manage to salvage a carton! Which he probably went through as soon as he got out of the airport. Furthermore - I now understand that once getting past customs you might encounter a couple of 'customs officers' waiting for you at the other side.

No sympathy at. Every country I've flown in/out of has limits on the amounts you can bring in. Some people get lucky and are able to get away undetected. Some get caught.

Not too long ago, a TV member posted about how he got caught trying to smuggle (60 cartons ?) through the airport and whined about the amount they wanted for duties, and how he had done it many times before and never got stopped, so he somehow thought that meant it was legal.

Not surprisingly, most of the responses to his posts showed no sympathy either.

I've never been stopped (in any airport) after passing the Customs area. I did get checked once in Delhi after picking my suitcase off the carosel, just prior to Customs. I had a (small) desktop computer and I guess it was picked up on a scanner as a large metal case with lots of wires and other hard metal objects inside. As soon as they saw it was a computer I was waved on. Not even a question about why I was bringing a desktop computer into the country.

Any other warnings out there?

Yeah. Believe half of what you read and none of what you hear. As soon as I hear the words "a friend told me" I view the rest of what follows with skepticism. Too often, that "friend" is repeating something that has been passed from "friend to friend" long before.

In the last couple of years, I've had a story told to me at least 3 times (3 different people). In each case, the person I was talking to found out I live in Thailand. Suddenly they remember that they had a friend who went to Thailand who:

Rented a big house on the beach for a month.

Had a live-in (female) cook for the month.

Had a live-in (female) cleaner for the month.

They both slept with him every night.

It only cost him $50 US for everything !

(At that point I would remind them that the Vietnam war ended over 30 years ago. Most of them don't get it at first).

In all, I'll bet I've heard that same story probably 6-7 times in the last 15 years. A friend of mine knows a guy that works with someone that has a brother who went to school with a guy that swears his friend talked to someone that had a room-mate who went there and did that.

Taxi Driver

Well, this happens about as often as solar eclipses and from what I've read is considerably more likely to happen in Cairo or Mexico City.

My only "close encounter" was at Heathrow of all places. Even though my two bags were the first ones loaded, the goofy parking lot shuttle driver took my backpack containing my entire professional life and left it on the tarmac outside of Terminal 1, apparently thinking it belonged to some getting off there. Upon arrival at T3 and finding my bag missing, I was a complete wreck with veins popping out of my head and spittle flying from my mouth as I went off on the driver, but fortunate in the end that I was able to find my bag and make my flight. Needless to say, in the end it was ultimately my fault and I will definitely never let that happen again.

So to the OP, when people travel in Thailand and through Suvarnabhumi (or anywhere else for that matter), most bad things happen to them because of their own fault, stupidity and ignorance, or some combination thereof.

As for all of the other crapola allegations in the OP and similar ones, the TV folks should set up a relationship with snopes.com to get all these wanna-be Thailand urban myths out into the open and debunked.

So to the OP, when people travel in Thailand and through Suvarnabhumi (or anywhere else for that matter), most bad things happen to them because of their own fault, stupidity and ignorance, or some combination thereof.

As for all of the other crapola allegations in the OP and similar ones, the TV folks should set up a relationship with snopes.com to get all these wanna-be Thailand urban myths out into the open and debunked.

Dead right there, funny we never see a "geeky things not to do when passing through Suvarnabhumi" thread. :o

However on the last trip I booked and paid for my taxi in Pattaya. When I got to Suvarnabhumi I handed the driver a small tip as he did a good job. He frowned and said "no it is 900 Baht". I just said "no way I paid in Pattaya" to which he scowled at me and drove off (I regret giving him the bluddy tip now). BEWARE THE PATTAYA TAXI DOUBLE CHARGE SCAM! :D

Not worth a thread on that one but give it a few years and a bit of embellishment and who knows?

btw I also have never had any problems at the airport with customs, immigration (except long queue once), taxi touts, baggage theft etc etc. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

With taxis it is always best to withhold payment until you are outside the cab in full possession of all your belongings. I think sometimes passengers pay inside the taxi and the driver inadvertently departs forgetting the bag in the trunk. This has happened to me, in NYC, and it was accidental. The driver stopped a few yards after seeing me waving.

The duty-free incident actually sounds like some sort of morph on a shoplifting charge? I think there was a similar story posted here over the past 15 months or so?

Always a good idea to secure your bags as best as possible and refrain from putting any valuable items in checked or stored bags. There have been many reports of baggage theft rings at many airports worldwide, including BKK.

There have been a number of first-person reports here and in other travel-related forums re: detainment and huge fines for exceeding the duty-free limits on tobacco products.

There have been a number of other SBIA scams reported: credit-card theft, duty-free sales with later confiscations, outright theft at security check-points, short-changing on currency exchanges, and maybe a few others I’m forgetting.

Edited by lomatopo

From the OP

Lock yer Bags

The baggage handlers may go through your bag eventually. G/F works for TG. The stories are endless. Including bags rifled through from the overhead cabins. Not just on TG

:o Watch out for dwarves hiding in the overhead cabins when you stow your luggage

But to be fair, I've had passengers who when getting on the plane dump their carry bags and lap tops in the first empty overhead bin even though they are sitting in the back and when getting off the plane are missing a coat, laptop or what have you. This I've experienced first hand, though I do know once for sure it was a mistake as there was another laptop bag still in the bin.

On the other hand you would be surprised what people leave behind in the front seat pockets!

As far as taxi's go. I'm sure I posted something about this before, but 2 years ago when coming back from a long trip I dumped my carry bag in the trunk and suitcase in the front seat. Arrived at my condo and when upstairs and crashed. About an hour later the security was ringing my doorbell with the taxi driver and my carry bag which had my passport, work permit, and my jacket with crew id attached. I gave him 1000 baht for his honesty!

So I do think people forget things in the taxi and don't realize if at all until later.

From the OP

Lock yer Bags

The baggage handlers may go through your bag eventually. G/F works for TG. The stories are endless. Including bags rifled through from the overhead cabins. Not just on TG

:oWatch out for dwarves hiding in the overhead cabins when you stow your luggage

dam_n - you've seen them too???

For some reason my wife never believes me.

The sneaky bu99ers usually wait until I've had my 4th whisky.

Patrick

Rule 1: Never lock your bags!

Why: If they find drugs or whatever you can defend yourself in court that anyone could have acces to your bags.

If they ask you: Did you yourself packed your bags, answer: No I did not.

If they ask you who did, answer you might tell in presence of your lawyer.

Please remember airport security people are not Police or immigration officers, they are mostly private companies that are hired by the airport.

You can even refuse them to give your passport, they can look at it while you are holding it in your hands.

Look at the fine prints on/in your passport.

Know your rights!

Alex

Why does hel_l always come up like this when somebody types it, its hardly a swear word,hel_l hel_l hel_l, try it

It's the forum software that automatically amends certain words, or blanks them out altogether using ### characters. At one point, the only way to sneak "hel_l" in at all was to spell it like h3ll or something similar. And in some places, h3ll/hel_l is still considered as being profane and/or vulgar, though not as bad as "gosh golly darn" ! :o

BoT: A lot of people bring their troubles on themselves, and travelling is no exception. Often through ignorance, incompetence, forgetfulness, or intent, many problems people complain about could have easily been avoided with just a little bit of foresight and planning. Just ask the millions and millions of travellers around the world that seem to be able to get to and from wherever, without problems of rifled bags, exorbitant customs duties and so on.

But it seems in today's (western) societies, it is easier to blame others when something happens to you. (In view of Toxin's recent statement, it seems that attitude isn't confined just to "western" societies anymore).

Why does hel_l always come up like this when somebody types it, its hardly a swear word,hel_l hel_l hel_l, try it

Several words are always hashed as are some predefined non-profane words on this forum. When you open a new topic, as soon as you press enter to send it, there is "1 view". That's the software that filters out, masks or hashes undesirable words.

It's not that people would not understand hel_l, it is Google that counts those words and rates the site accordingly. A very important thing is to be at the top when Google search returns thousands or even millions results.

When deciding which sites are most relevant and sorting them accordingly, Google downgrades the sites that contain obscene words.

One bad word may push you to the 3rd page and nobody ever comes that far to click. The number of clicks is important when selling/charging for advertising space.

Not a rocket science.

Several words are always hashed as are some predefined non-profane words on this forum. When you open a new topic, as soon as you press enter to send it, there is "1 view". That's the software that filters out, masks or hashes undesirable words.

I always wondered about that. I thought it was counting "my" view (when you post the topic and you see the finished product before clicking back to the forum index). I didn't think there was time for a mod to review the topic that quickly, and wondered why there was already a "view" of it.

Not a rocket science.

Nope, but it is Computer Science and these days, those guys are probably just as smart as Rocket Scientists ! :o

Not a rocket science.

Nope, but it is Computer Science and these days, those guys are probably just as smart as Rocket Scientists ! :D

Rocket Science is not what it used to be. Even failed states (Pakistan, North Korea, Iran...) can make a rocket with nuclear filling. :o

Rocket Science is not what it used to be. Even failed states (Pakistan, North Korea, Iran...) can make a rocket with nuclear filling. :o

Yeah, but they would probably choose to pack them (the nukes) in shoddy old suitcases, and,

after forgetting them having them stolen by the hordes of thieving cab drivers that prey on hapless tourists,

would end up having their suitcases fall apart rifled by the hordes of thieving baggage handlers that prey on hapless tourists,

and then they would get arrested for properly paying for shop-lifting western goods by the hordes of thieving police that roam the airport preying on hapless tourists,

only to have those shop-lifted hard to get western goods stolen from their carry-on luggage while stored in the overhead bins above them by the hordes of dwarves that hide in the overhead bins preying on hapless tourists.

Thailand could become the Hub of Stolen Nuclear Weapons overnight if something is done about this right NOW ! :D

Who knows, maybe it has already happened ! Quick, someone run down to Khao San road and see if there are any stolen nuclear weapons for sale in the pawn shops or by the street vendors.

(if there are, let me know. I'm in the market. That'll teach Lek for sneaking those extra chilies into my Khao Pad !) :D

My only "close encounter" was at Heathrow of all places. Even though my two bags were the first ones loaded, the goofy parking lot shuttle driver took my backpack containing my entire professional life and left it on the tarmac outside of Terminal 1, apparently thinking it belonged to someone getting off there. Upon arrival at T3 and finding my bag missing, I was a complete wreck with veins popping out of my head and spittle flying from my mouth as I went off on the driver, but fortunate in the end that I was able to find my bag and make my flight. Needless to say, in the end it was ultimately my fault and I will definitely never let that happen again.

Thanks Spee for the colourful description :o

It reminded me of the odd times I have travelled over the past 40 years.

I've experienced the same symptoms more than a few times when something has not gone to plan!

Travelling can be a horrible ordeal for the inexperienced and/or the unlucky ..

I came through about 2 weeks ago, straight through customs as normal, with a Dubai duty free bag in hand. i book the AOT limo and am walking out through the doors when I see the guy in the blue uniform eyeing up my bag, I know whats coming and he speaks to the AOT guy who puts my luggage down. He says you have cigarettes in the bag, I say no I dont smoke and I dont drink. (Bizzarely thats true). he still wants to look in the bag so I tell hime very politely that its a singing penguin for my 2 year old. He motions towards my luggage bag and again I say I dont drink and I dont smoke. He reluctantly lets me on my way without checking my luggage bag. I travel through the airport every 6 weeks so this does not bother me at all, its just an inconvenience but to a first time visitor who has just cleared customs and therefore is now totally groundside of the airport, it can be intimidating when these guys stop you from leaving the airport. Does anyone know who they are and what department they are with. THAI EXCISE is it official or a scam? OFFICIAL

Yes, official. relative works in aiport. Thing is, the process fails to take into account that most westeners are NOT used to being searched and intimidated outside of official 'zones', especially in a country as notorious for scams as Thailand. And especially as the official is usually right up his own arse and really want's to make you feel like a peice of foreign scum. This is not acceptable and if customs can't complete the job within the airport then they're obviously doing it wrong.