Thaksin and Wife Fail to Board Return Flight

marshbags

"transferred major assets - very likely to secure them for ever for himself - out of the country and the reaction of this - the direct "karma" following his deeds!"

Aplogies if I have got you wrong here but are you saying he will get bad karma for selling Shin Corp to Temasek - a foreign entity.

Hmm did not know bhudda was such a nationalist Thai

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"transferred major assets - very likely to secure them for ever for himself - out of the country and the reaction of this - the direct "karma" following his deeds!"

Aplogies if I have got you wrong here but are you saying he will get bad karma for selling Shin Corp to Temasek - a foreign entity.

:o

Anyway, I think discussions in this way are utterly useless, I mean it was his to sell, and it doesn't really matter to whom he had sold it. We live in a global economy and "national companies" the world over have stopped getting their government's protection (not everywhere though !).

I think that is the only right thing to do. What benefit would Thailand gain from Shincorp being Thai, not much beyond what they are getting now. They still need to pay VAT, Taxes, they still employ people. These are not really rational sentiments.

Edited by sjaak327

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and family go shopping in Guildford,England on Monday. He and family have fled to the UK after he and his wife

jumped bails on corruption charges.

Courtesy THE NATION

As an earlier poster mentioned, Panthontae is telling his dad that the best is yet to come. (Little does he know)

I wonder just how many people walking on that street were security for The Family (Looks like 2 Thais in the background?

And for cricket fans, here's another 'bails jumper'

Edited by ratcatcher

Anyway, I think discussions in this way are utterly useless, I mean it was his to sell, and it doesn't really matter to whom he had sold it. We live in a global economy and "national companies" the world over have stopped getting their government's protection (not everywhere though !).

I think that is the only right thing to do. What benefit would Thailand gain from Shincorp being Thai, not much beyond what they are getting now. They still need to pay VAT, Taxes, they still employ people. These are not really rational sentiments.

You, I and a few others know these are not rational sentiments.

We do have plenty of people on here doing mental summersaults trying to argue for protectionism in this case and I think half of them have turned into petite Thai nationalists when it suits them

"I wonder just how many people walking on that street were security for The Family (Looks like 2 Thais in the background?"

Does he have bodyguards in the UK?

If so would he use Thai's when there are probably better available locally - although Abronovich uses Russians does he not?

Thing is if the UK accepts he is under threat from Thailand he would probably get police protection - they would not want him killed al la the Ruskie

As for Thaksin selling it to Temasek so Singaporean can have better welafare - you have come to this picnic short of a sandwich regarding that statement. ROFLMAO

He sold it for his own profit - the fact anybody in Singapore might gain anything from this was as far gone as your first <deleted> if you believe that.

Surely he hadn't given much thought as to who will enjoy Shin profits, or rather he pushed these thoughts out of his mind.

Fact remains the same - one of the biggest and most profitable Thai companies was sold to a foreign government by the Prime Minister himself who publicly denied any involvment (what at shameless <deleted>!), and it was against Thai laws, I might remind you - he amended the laws specifically for this sale.

Sjaak,

We live in a global economy and "national companies" the world over have stopped getting their government's protection (not everywhere though !).

Not everywhere? Can you give an example where global freedom still holds instead?

Like the US let foreigners buy their troubled banks or ports, or the UK let anyone else to bail out Northern Rock. It's difficult to find any strategic industry anywhere in the world that is free from government control. Thailand is certainly not the worst when it comes to freedom to do anything you want.

"Fact remains the same - one of the biggest and most profitable Thai companies was sold to a foreign government by the Prime Minister himself who publicly denied any involvment (what at shameless <deleted>!), and it was against Thai laws, I might remind you - he amended the laws specifically for this sale."

Please try to get this correct - it was not against Thai law as it had been amended as you point out - arguing against yourself in the same sentence makes it look like irrationality has broken out and logic is adrift.

We have covered the denial bit - you can not talk about deals for stock exchange rules na?

Then all you have is petty nationalism - not even a strategic industry are you alleging but a profitable company was sold - is that all you have - the barrel is being scraped once more

He is a venal greedy corrupt bastard who used thr system - probably better than other in manipulating the system. The others have just been blatant evil thieves who took the countries money, have been involved in drugs and much more.

He needs to be seen in context - and in the context of Thailand he is no worse or better than most.

Edited by Prakanong

What the Foreign Ministry giveth away on its own...

Thaksin gets his red passport back

The Foreign Ministry has reinstated the diplomatic passport of former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, a high-level source in the ministry said yesterday. The renewal of the red passport was made less than two weeks after Thaksin's fomer legal adviser and close aide Noppadon Pattama was appointed Foreign Minister. There has been speculation that the move was made to facilitate Thaksin's return to Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/23Feb2008_news05.php

The Foreign Ministry is now unwilling to taketh away on its own...

MFA affirms officials ready to revoke former PM's diplomatic passport

The Minister of Foreign Affairs Tej Bunang affirmed that officials can expedite the revocation of former Premier Thaksin Shinawatra's diplomatic passport when they receive instructions to do so.

Tej affirmed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will revoke Thaksin's diplomatic credentials if the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders sent a formal letter instructing it to do so.

The minister said that so far, no authorization has been given to initiate the action. Tej affirms that officials are carefully studying laws and regulations pertaining to the matter, but have yet to reach a formal conclusion.

- ThaiNews

The Big Question: Why do so many foreign billionaires want to make their home in Britain?

By Robert Verkaik, Law Editor - THE INDEPENDENT -

Wednesday, 13 August 2008

The former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has skipped bail in Thailand in favour of moving to Britain. Mr Thaksin, who owns Manchester City football club, has faced corruption charges in Bangkok but failed to attend a scheduled court appearance on Monday.

Mr Thaksin and his wife, who has just been convicted of fraud and sentenced to two years in jail, were allowed to travel to China from Thailand for the Olympics opening ceremony despite being involved in legal proceedings. Mr Thaksin – who was ousted as Thailand's prime minister in a military coup in 2006 – says he can't get a fair trial due to political interference in the judicial system and would instead live with his family in England, where he has several homes. Thailand's Supreme Court has now issued an arrest warrant for the billionaire.

What are the allegations against him?

Mr Thaksin and his wife are accused of abuse of power in relation to the purchase of state land. Mr Thaksin, together with several former cabinet ministers, is also facing separate accusations of corruption linked to a government lottery scheme. Further allegations concern an improper state loan to Burma, which is alleged to have benefited his family business. There are also outstanding charges of tax evasion against members of his family.

In his statement, Mr Thaksin set out his reasons for not returning home. He said: "What happened to me and my family and my close relations resulted from efforts to get rid of me from politics," he said in the hand-written statement. These are my political enemies. They don't care about the rule of law, facts or internationally recognised due process." Mr Thaksin apologised to the Thai people for his decision to live in the UK, where his daughter is attending university. "If I am fortunate enough, I will return and die on Thai soil, just like other Thais," he said.

Will he be allowed to stay here?

Any alleged wrongdoing is strongly denied and neither Mr Thaksin nor any members of his family are accused of any offences in this country. Under UK law, he is a free man and as a result can go about his business in this country unobstructed.

It is up to the Thai authorities to try to force Mr Thaksin to return to Thailand. It is not for the British government to try to remove him before any formal request has been made. The Thai authorities have to formally ask the UK government to extradite him to Thailand. That hasn't happened yet. But if the Thai prosecutors were to go down this road they would be able to rely on a long-standing extradition treaty between the two countries. They would still need to provide prima facie evidence that Mr Thaksin has committed a criminal offence. Should this happen, it would then be open to Mr Thaksin to challenge evidence in the UK courts. His wealth will then be an advantage to him when it comes to securing the best legal advice. This will normally mean instructing top City immigration solicitors who will be able to find the best QC to fight his case.

Should he be arrested, his lawyers will be able to draw on his vast resources to help persuade the courts to grant him bail.

Can he claim asylum?

It is open to anyone, rich or poor, to claim asylum in the UK. Should Mr Thaksin make an application for refugee status, he will have to show that he is in fear of political, religious or ethnic persecution in Thailand. Since his religious and ethnic background is not thought to be an issue, this may prove to be a high hurdle to overcome. It is much more likely that he will claim that his prosecution in Thailand is politically motivated. But this will not be easy, as the UK recognise the Thai administration as being democratically elected. So far, he hasn't said whether he intends to ask for asylum.

Have other rich businessmen been able to find refuge here?

Yes, especially the so-called Russian oligarchs. The best known is Boris Berezovsky, who, fearing arrest in Russia, fled to London in 2001, where he was granted political asylum. He was charged with fraud and political corruption, but British courts have rejected all three attempts to get him extradited to Russia.

On 29 November 2007, a Moscow court found Berezovsky guilty of massive embezzlement, and sentenced him to six years in jail. The court held that he had stolen 214m roubles (£4.5m) from Aeroflot through fraud, and ordered him to repay it. Berezovsky called the verdict "a farce" and he has successfully argued that the prosecutions are politically motivated to silence his criticism of the Putin regime.

Why do so many Russian oligarchs choose to live in Britain?

Our immigration laws certainly benefit the rich. Other oligarchs, including Roman Abramovich, the owner of Chelsea football club, have also used their wealth to establish themselves in this country.

Any non EU-citizen who has a million pounds and wants to live in the UK can apply for a three-year investor's visa. All the businessman has to show is that they have £1m invested in a business, government bonds or another secure asset that benefits the British economy. There are similar immigration schemes for foreign business people with just £250,000 to invest in a UK company which employs at least two UK nationals.

These visas can be extended for another two years after which the visitor can apply for permanent residence. For all those without this kind of financial wherewithal, the choice is either to apply for a points-based worker's visa or a work permit. Again, after five years it is open to the non-UK national to apply for residency. However, the Home Office does make some effort to investigate the origins of the investment so that the UK can be sure that is the money is not proceeds of crime or dodgy business deals.

Don't they end up as non-doms anyway?

Once your are a British citizen with interests abroad, you can register for "non-domiciled" status, meaning you do not pay tax on earnings outside the United Kingdom. Under plans which took effect in April, anyone who has claimed non-dom status for seven of the past 10 years will have to pay an annual fee of £30,000.

What if you aren't wealthy?

Everyone who wants to live in the UK can only stay here under the six-month visitors rules. If they don't qualify for any of the business-related immigration schemes, and have had their application for asylum rejected, then they will have to leave the UK. Many may choose to move and come back to the UK at a later date. Provided they don't return within six months, this is a lawful way to avoid returning to their home countries.

Are rich foreigners exploiting the UK?

Yes...

* Overseas investors take advantage of generous UK visa schemes to gain residency

* London is the city of choice for those seeking to escape prosecution in their homeland

* Extradition can be dragged out for years by those who can afford the best lawyers

No...

* UK rules are tough enough to stop the wealthy using their money to flout the law

* The Home Office examines investments to ensure they are not used to gain UK residence

* Foreign millionaires only come to the UK because it is a good place to do business

Edited by bulmercke

I know a few with two passports too ie Thai and another

My point is though I do not think he has a British passport - how would he qualify for one so quickly say since 2006?

Its only on TV this has been brought up without any back up.

I think the British government has reservations granting citizenship to people who have worked at high levels within foreign governments, particularly military or political post holders. I think the Home Office would refuse him. It would be terrible publicity for him amongst his core supporters, in highly nationalistic Thailand. His kids may have American passports though.

Its all been pre-discussed, cleared, sorted, arranged. Everyone in the highest of places has signed off on this solution, and no amount of farang indignancy is going to produce a ground-swell that changes a single thing.

Any journalist would know it is "indignation".

BTW: I agree with you regarding Thaksin - while I do not like him I think there are a lot worse in Thailand and who have never faced justice and never will.

such as?

Dead or alive?

Kitticachkorn (sp) for one

What about others behind the 92 Democracy massacre?

Thaksin was a pussy compared to some of the previous Thai leaders - thats why Bush baby's speech in Bangkok last week was laughed at in Asia - Slagging off lack of freedoms in China while in Thailand a country the USA supported through its dictatorships for its own ends.

Some farang really need a sense of perspective on Thailand - arguing things here is with one hand tied behind our backs - can not say half what I say to Thai's down here in Singapore and what they say too.

Kittikachorn (Thanom) is dead. Suchinda and Kittikachorn are/were firmly within the royalist-military ruling alliance and clearly cannot and will not ever be subject to prosecution. Thaksin is not.

Thailand starts long Thaksin extradition process

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand has begun the lengthy process to try to extradite former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who skipped bail this week and went into exile in London, the Attorney-General's office said on Wednesday.

A team of lawyers had been drawn up and was waiting for the formal signature of the Attorney-General, who is due to return from an overseas trip at the end of this week, state prosecutor Kosonlavat Intujunyong said. "We have to prove that what he did in Thailand was wrong under British law," he told Reuters.

- Reuters

What a load of <deleted>. The last thing they (The Thai government) will ever do is institute extradition proceedings. Absolute pretence. Imagine - all the failings of the Thai legal system aired worldwide.

"I wonder just how many people walking on that street were security for The Family (Looks like 2 Thais in the background?"

Does he have bodyguards in the UK?

If so would he use Thai's when there are probably better available locally - although Abronovich uses Russians does he not?

Thing is if the UK accepts he is under threat from Thailand he would probably get police protection - they would not want him killed al la the Ruskie

Posed photo. They probably "walked" about 10 metres before jumping back into the limo. I would like to know the whereabouts of Pojaman's bro and her secretary though. Bet they're secretly allowed to be in Thailand under the deal.

PM calls executives of PPP for emergency meeting

People Power Party spokesman First Lieutenant Kuthep Saikrajang revealed that party leader and Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has called a meeting of the PPP's executives this morning. He stated however, that the contents of the meeting will be divulged after the discussion is concluded.

The spokesman affirmed however that though the meeting follows the political asylum of former PM Thaksin Shinawatra to the United Kingdom it is likely the issue will not be part of the meeting as the deposed premier was never involved with the PPP's work. :o

- ThaiNews

I ll bet none of them have ever heard of the Bangkok International Film Festival and Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Juthamas Siriwan. :D

its like a badly written weekly Soap on TV. everyone knows in advance they are gonna skip bail and not come back to thailand! everyone knows they pre-arranged this with the thai authorities. everyone knows that the 3 years jail sentence was to give thai people faith in the thai system. everyone kows that 90% of the thais probably believe all this rubbish. and everyone knows that taksin and his wife are laughing at how easy this stunt was to pull off!!

anyway.. every country has its own corruption and I am sure that each of our own countries has many bad stories to its name too.

but thailand seems to have this way of waiving corruption right in-front of its citizens noses and so poorly covers everything up, and everyone knows! unfortunately the government just does what it wants and there is zero democracy in this place.

quite right grasshopper.Confucius says; build your enemy a golden bridge to retreat :o

England a banana republic? Why the country harbor these type of people. Why don't i commit some crime and running to banana republic of england and call it a home base.. I don't want to insult the Brits, but dam_n. I bet regular Brits probably get some serious charge for doing some minor laws.

Deport all his family and member back to Thailand.

If England do let Thaksin clan stay, it label England the wrong way....why don't all terrorist and curropt politician should get a "get out of jail cards" and head to england.

Let's see what happened

I want to see the "clan" in jail

Also, it is the thai's system fault for letting them escape.

Edited by majorpacman

Well, the ball is still in the Thai courts ('scuse the pun).

They (Toxin crew) have made the choice to flee but whether they will be deported from the UK really depends on whether an extradition request is made by the Thai authorities. If it is, then they (Thai Judiciary) will have to issue a warrant and certificate to start the process. The UK does not allow extradition where a person may be executed for thier crimes charged (not the case here) but other than that (IF the Thai's really want him back) I cannot see any reason for the UK to refuse. If they don't want him then they don't have to issue the warrants and Toxin will stay.

UK Extradition Act 2003

The Thai Courts so far have done everything by the book (admittedly a very curious book since most other countries would definately not allow travel in the first place), but if they have the will; they also have the way. My guess is they don't have the will.

Edited by ThaiAdventure

England a banana republic? Why the country harbor these type of people. Why don't i commit some crime and running to banana republic of england and call it a home base.. I don't want to insult the Brits, but dam_n. I bet regular Brits probably get some serious charge for doing some minor laws.

Deport all his family and member back to Thailand.

If England do let Thaksin clan stay, it label England the wrong way....why don't all terrorist and curropt politician should get a "get out of jail cards" and head to england.

Let's see what happened

I want to see the "clan" in jail

Also, it is the thai's system fault for letting them escape.

Maybe you should look at why your own country let them travel in the first place :o

New photo of Thaksin in England....

littleboy.jpg

Reminds me of the photo of a smiling Saddam Hussein with an unsmiling British boy - just before the first Gulf War.

Three cheers for the spirit of the British bulldog - showing even in the youth of their nation!

Let's hope his elders, the Brit authorities, will have the testicular fortitude to deny political asylum to the Shinawatra scoundrels.

Reminds me of the photo of a smiling Saddam Hussein with an unsmiling British boy - just before the first Gulf War.

Three cheers for the spirit of the British bulldog - showing even in the youth of their nation!

Let's hope his elders, the Brit authorities, will have the testicular fortitude to deny political asylum to the Shinawatra scoundrels.

same, same...dictators and British youths

stuartlockwoodwithsaddam.jpg30080529-01.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and family go shopping in Guildford,England on Monday. He and family have fled to the UK after he and his wife

Courtesy THE NATION

As an earlier poster mentioned, Panthontae is telling his dad that the best is yet to come. (Little does he know)

His forecast is correct, but, it depends which side of the fence you are on regarding it,s meaning.

It,s amazing how many of his ilk, the world over, could have done so much for their respective countries, but didn,t and instead of becoming famous and respected for their honesty and caring, are on the ever growing list of the infamous for their dictatorial self rewarding interest and evil.

Many have died in self inflicted indignity and isolation.

They are hated and despised by their genuine fellow country citizens who they arrogantly abused while in power.

He will spend what,s left of his life :D and needing eyes everywhere to check if he is safe from repercussions

from his victims and their families.

Wherever you go Thaksin, be sure your comfort zone is no longer and " KARMA "has only just started.

marshbags :o

I wonder just how many people walking on that street were security for The Family (Looks like 2 Thais in the background?

And for cricket fans, here's another 'bails jumper'

:D

Edited by marshbags

Courtesy THE NATION

Note how the unemployable 30-yr old son looks totally like the 13-yr old he really is.

I don't think he's gonna get UK citizenship.

Greaseball al-Fayed has been trying for years and has gotten nowhere.

They don't just hand it out and I suspect it is difficult to buy.

BTW, the kid looks like the same kid in both pics. Does he charge for photo ops?

Like the US let foreigners buy their troubled banks or ports, or the UK let anyone else to bail out Northern Rock. It's difficult to find any strategic industry anywhere in the world that is free from government control. Thailand is certainly not the worst when it comes to freedom to do anything you want.

The American veto of the Dubai acquisition of certain ports was not a rational act and one which the Bush administration didn't support.I don't think there would have been a problem with a foreign buyer of Northern Rock.In fact in the UK until the deal collapsed on commercial grounds the UK authorities were prepared to see UK's nuclear industry sold to the frogs!

The Thailand problem is rather different, ie not affected by understandable though slightly hysterical US concerns about the war on terror.It's all about the desparate concern of a relatively small inward looking group not to see foreign investors acquiring control positions.To be a little simplistic these corporate interests would rather have a large share of a small pie than a smaller share of a large pie, even if the latter smaller share was larger.This means that there will always be a good living for a few -but at the expense of efficiency and a fair deal for the consumer.The Asian crisis saw foreigners largely take over the retail sector, and that wasn't liked.

Soverign wealth funds like Temasek are part of the landscape now and I concede there are some legitimate concerns, but I don't think the Shin deal presented any kind of threat.I suspect also the deal became post facto more controversial as a stick to beat Thaksin with.How otherwise would you explain the involvement of -how to put it without breaking forum rules -some of the more well connected financial institutions?

"Fact remains the same - one of the biggest and most profitable Thai companies was sold to a foreign government by the Prime Minister himself who publicly denied any involvment (what at shameless <deleted>!), and it was against Thai laws, I might remind you - he amended the laws specifically for this sale."

Please try to get this correct - it was not against Thai law as it had been amended as you point out - arguing against yourself in the same sentence makes it look like irrationality has broken out and logic is adrift.

This deal has been in the works for months, don't ask me to believe the official line that Thaksin's kids quickly put it up together over the weekend and sold the company on the next business day, after having realised how sudden change of regulations can be used to their advantage.

What Thaksin was trying to achieve was against the law and, true to his nature, he changed the law, not his deal.

Don't ask me to believe that the amendment to increase foreign ownership to 49% had nothing to do with his month long attempts to sell Shin. His government imposed 25% rule just a couple of years earlier, when it was Shin's rival Dtac turn to sell.

We have covered the denial bit - you can not talk about deals for stock exchange rules na?

No, we haven't covered the denial bit - Thaksin refused to acknowledge his role in the sale AFTER the fact.

As for stock exchange rules - you accused "nationalists" of ignoring the deal until it was done. I answered that no one knew what it was. After that the response was quick and overwhelming.

It's true that certain well connected institutions were involved in preparation of the deal, but we don't know what kind of backlash they faced. There were quite a few fingers pointed in that direction and there were news of changes on executive levels.

Talk about nationalism is cheap and easy. The simple fact that there's a possibility of Singaporeans using AIS dominant position to control the direction and speed of Thailand's telecom development. Just yesterday Telenor Asia was talking about challenging Singtel in the region. Well, at least in Thailand, AIS can make or break Dtac's business plans (Dtac is Telenor's partner here). They can engage them in exhausting price wars, they can influence implementation of 3G or Wimax, they can litigate to no end the number portability issues, or mututal gateways, or TOT business plans, or TOT relations with concessionaries and so on.

All these decisions can be potentially taken in Singapore, not Bangkok. Sure, Thailand has industry regulator, NTC, but it doesn't have full control over the market, probably even less that AIS, which is controlled from Singapore.

I'm not saying that this is what is happening, but the potential is there. AIS is working for Singaporean government, not Thailand's development, sometimes their interests converge, sometimes they will be at odds.

When will Thailand lose its obsession on seeing everything in terms of Thaksin, and this is very much true of PPP, PAD, Dems, Shadowy powers and ordinary people? It is time for some substantive debate on where the country is going and where it should position itself. Policies and the devlopment of a country cannot be pressaged on an obsession with one person.

Thaksin's cases are in the court. One will continue the others will be on hold until his return, which as they are in the court probably exempts them from statute of limitations. That is how it should be. He is in the UK and highly unlikely to invest another fortune (by any mere mortals standards) in the next election. This means whatever side you take there is actually an opportunity to move forward. Right now it amazingly seems nobody actally wants to take it.

When will Thailand lose its obsession on seeing everything in terms of Thaksin, and this is very much true of PPP, PAD, Dems, Shadowy powers and ordinary people? It is time for some substantive debate on where the country is going and where it should position itself. Policies and the devlopment of a country cannot be pressaged on an obsession with one person.

Thaksin's cases are in the court. One will continue the others will be on hold until his return, which as they are in the court probably exempts them from statute of limitations. That is how it should be. He is in the UK and highly unlikely to invest another fortune (by any mere mortals standards) in the next election. This means whatever side you take there is actually an opportunity to move forward. Right now it amazingly seems nobody actally wants to take it.

Sorry Hammered but I think he will invest a lot in the next election, he can't afford to see PPP lose power, they're needed in order to put friendly faces in the right places.

I believe this game will not be over for the duration of Thaksin's life.

No one is sure what will happen next. PPP factions are jokeying for positions, new alliances are formed, some want to stay in, some want to be "coalition partners" to have better bargaining position for Cabinet posts.

"Gang of four" type of rumors will resurface again, I'm pretty sure of it.

As for Thaksin - it's a dead horse, what is interesting is what will happen to Pojamarn. If she doesn't lodge an appeal in the next two weeks, she'll be convicted criminal on the run. Thais would have a far better case in extraditing her.

Foreign Affairs Ministry to issue rebuttal to allegations made by Dr Thaksin

Minister of Foreign Affairs Tej Bunnag (เตช บุนนาค) stated that his ministry is currently collaborating with related agencies on the issue of revoking former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Khunying Potjaman's diplomatic passports and have set the matter as a priority issue. Once the issue is concluded it will be forwarded to the Foreign Affairs Ministry in the United Kingdom.

Mr. Tej also commented on the former PM's allegations of interference in the nation's legal system, saying that the Thai legal system has a dignity and thus the Foreign Affairs Ministry is preparing to issue a rebuttal to the statements. The minister also assured that his ministry is seeking to extradite the deposed premier but admitted that the United Kingdom's strict regulations may require sometime to navigate.

The Foreign Affairs Minister continued to say that he has not yet received a report of negotiations between the Thai and Cambodian military as well as declaration from Cambodia claiming temples in the Ta Muen Thom compound. Mr. Tej stated however that he will only discuss the Phrea Vihear site when he meets with his Cambodian counterpart and speculated that their discussions will not extend to the border council's meeting as the issue must be approved by the House of Representatives.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 August 2008