Thaksin and Wife Fail to Board Return Flight

marshbags

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin relying on handouts

Mark Hughes’ future as Manchester City manager is the subject of fevered speculation in this morning’s papers with after an arrest warrant was issued for his boss Thaksin Shinawatra.

The former Thai prime minister has flown back to the UK after deciding he didn’t really fancy facing a Thai court on charges relating to a property deal. And certainly not after his wife was jailed for tax fraud earlier this month.

The problems for City – and Hughes – are now many and varied. An exclusive in the Mail claims Thaksin is so skint that he is currently borrowing money to pay the wages at Eastlands.

Former chairman John Wardle, who resigned in protest after Thaksin’s takeover last year, has reportedly bailed out City on three occasions – the most recent being just last month – to avoid wages and bills going unpaid.

And though Wardle’s latest payment of £2 million loan has been repaid the fact that Thaksin – once one of Thailand’s wealthiest men – is unable to pay his bills must be a major concern for Hughes and all City fans.

The Sun claims the situation is so bad that Hughes is ready to walk away even before the start of the season.

The paper quotes a City source saying: “This is not the dream package sold to Mark. The club is falling apart and nobody knows how much longer Shinawatra will hang around.

- Telegraph (UK)

I've always respected your determination and thusly it is rewarded....

a bigger blow-up of it...

http://www.naewna.com/news.asp?ID=117669

Actually it was my wife who wanted to see the original because the initial translations were not that accurate, but we couldn't find it anywhere.

We hope this guy stays out of LOS forever but doubt if it will make any difference in this time and age where he is only a phone call away and still able to pull the strings of his puppets by remote.

opalhort

Please let us know what she thinks of the job the Bangkok Post did.... :D

From just a couple of the snippets I can see why such diverse entities like author Chris Baker, the Democrat Party, and the Supreme Commander all panned it :

Text of Thaksin's letter to the media

This is the text of a letter faxed to media outlets in Bangkok on Monday from London by ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

======================================================

Re: The decision not to report to the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions.

First of all, I would like to apologise to the panel of judges presiding over the Ratchadapisek land case and to my supporters for my wife and I travelling to England - a country which upholds democratic principles above all else - and for our failure to report to the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions.

What happened to my family and I, as well as our close associates, was the work of those who wanted me out of politics.

There were attempts to take my life

When there was an election on Dec 23, 2007, most people voted for People Power party candidates who were members of the former Thai Rak Thai to be their representatives.

I thought the situation would improve and that could have been a chance for me to prove my innocence and be given justice and I decided to return to Thailand on Feb 28, 2008. But the situation worsened.

What I mean is that there has been a continuation of dictatorship in Thai politics under the democratic system. That was followed by interference in the judicial process. My cases have been pre-judged, to get rid of me and my family, who are regarded by a group of people as their political enemies, irrespective of the law and international principles of justice. My family and I have been continually treated unfairly.

The interference in the judicial process and the double standards which are clearly apparent have denied myself and my family and others involved of justice. But what is worse is that the long-established credibility and honour of the country's judicial system and related agencies have been diminished.

Moreover, I have been informed that my life is in danger. I needed to travel in bullet-proof vehicles when travelling around.

Tripe, in its entirety, continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=129545

I am surprised that Takkie apparantly is not able to pay wages and other costs.

I mean, did he not recieved a huge amount of cash recently from the interest earned on his frozen Billions of Baht?

And whatever happened with that story?

:o

Reading the text of the Thaksin letter, it occurs to me that he can teach us farangs a thing or two about WHINING. Any Thai reading that letter if has an ounce of intelligence will lose any respect he once may have had for Thaksin. His political career is indeed FINISHED.

However, his impartial brother-in-law didn't pan it... and went on to reassure everyone that Thaksin has no role in the PPP and finishes by greasing the skids for the next edition of Thai Rak Thai, ver. 3.0

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister, Somchai Wongsawat, who is Thaksin's brother-in-law, declined to comment on Thaksin's statement, which has been seen as an attempt to dampen the country's image.

Somchai insisted that Thaksin's decision to seek political asylum overseas will have no any impact on the ruling People Power Party and the political situation as it is his personal business.

However, he noted that People Power Party MPs have the right to move to the new political parties that will be set up soon.

At the same time, it was reported that former executive of now-defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, Newin Chidchob, held a meeting with some ruling politicians and phoned Thaksin just before the statement was released.

- Thailand Outlook

Edited by sriracha john

What I mean is that there has been a continuation of dictatorship in Thai politics under the democratic system. That was followed by interference in the judicial process.

Ahhh I see...he is talking about the snack box!

Moreover, I have been informed that my life is in danger. I needed to travel in bullet-proof vehicles when travelling around.

Well, it's better than having a plastic bag pulled over your head and being thrown in the back of a truck with 50 other suffocating people now, isn't it?

Tej says he will urgently consider courts' request for revocation of Thaksin's passport

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Tej Bunnaj said Tuesday that he would rush to consider court's request for revocation of foreign prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's passport once the court submits the request.

He said so far courts and public prosecutors have not asked the Foreign Ministry to take the action yet.

"If a request is made, the Foreign Ministry will give it a top priority," Tej said.

-- The Nation 2008-08-12

Mmm so now it is confirmed that sections of his own nought and paid for party have backstabbed him. Even though Tej is an outsdier in the party he wouldnt say this without others supporting it.

heng, do you vote in Thai or American elections?

I can vote in both, but the only time I've voted, I voted for Chuwit for Bangkok gov. (he lost)

Have otherwise avoided elections, as they seem to always set up polling stations in areas that are non-airconditioned.

I'd still say a big som nam nar is in order for the Thaksin "haters."

They are still free (and comfortable) and most of ya'll will still have to line up at Suan Phlu or wherever once a year (or more).

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the golden rule applies everywhere.

:D

:o:D:D

One thing that really buggers me> is why on earth so many forum members here are so anti-Taksin ?!

Is it engrained british working class hatred of the rich..? Is it because he ordered the early bar closures ..?

I personally lived here well before & after his rule> but didn't feel a speck of difference !

For thais- at least he was already rich, when taking power, so did't had to help himself from public coffers, as all the generals etc. did do & will do in the future !

As for us poor sods.. We were tolerated aliens.. we are & we will be.. Until Thailand will get it's Lee Kuan Yeo (*) of sorts..

But thats just a wet dream in any foreseen future IMHO.

(*)-creator of Singapore

They are still free (and comfortable) and most of ya'll will still have to line up at Suan Phlu or wherever once a year (or more).

One thing that really buggers me> is why on earth so many forum members here are so anti-Taksin ?!

Is it engrained british working class hatred of the rich..? Is it because he ordered the early bar closures ..?

I personally lived here well before & after his rule> but didn't feel a speck of difference !

For thais- at least he was already rich, when taking power, so did't had to help himself from public coffers, as all the generals etc. did do & will do in the future !

As for us poor sods.. We were tolerated aliens.. we are & we will be.. Until Thailand will get it's Lee Kuan Yeo (*) of sorts..

(*)-creator of Singapore

Interesting notion of the British working class hatred of the rich - thing is though a lot of the haters are not only English

As for tolerated aliens - we are in Singapore too - if they could fill the jobs with Singaporeans with the skills and experience we "Foreign talent" we would be out tomorrow - they would still keep the cheap labour from the sub-continent and China though as Singaporeans would not get their hands dirty

* Harry Lee as creator of Singapore - I prefer Stamford Raffles myself although an argument could be made for Harry and the new Singapore but just like anther country close by the old guard will be gone soon

(*)-creator of Singapore

Frying pan and fire spring to mind.

So you are advocating going from a broken democracy to a benevolent dictatorship. I would rather Thailand sort it's own way through this mess, rather than adopt an entrenched family autocracy model from another country.

Hmm......I just thought about what I wrote. But I won't say any more on that subject :D

My angle is obvious. I am a Brit living here in LOS but still paying tax in the UK on my pension and am one of those old school guys who just happens to believe in decency and honesty.

Pray tell why you have chosen to live out your pension years in a country where decency and honesty within the government are essentially non-existent?

I am surprised that Takkie apparantly is not able to pay wages and other costs.

I mean, did he not recieved a huge amount of cash recently from the interest earned on his frozen Billions of Baht?

And whatever happened with that story?

Thaksin has about two billions dollars of his assets frozen - which are now presumably lost -

I'm starting to wonder whether the Thai authorities were able to clandestinely freeze eevn more of his assets - which hasn't for various reasons hasn't been publicly acknowledged.

Have one or more international banks struck deals with the Thai government concerning Thaksin's overseas bank accounts?

If the funds in question were located in sensitive off-shore tax havens or Switzerland - then obviously the banks in question wouldn't want it made public that they had co-operated with a foreign government.

Also - the Thai government wouldn't want this made public.

And maybe if there was a question regarding the legality of those funds (i.e. they were laundered by Thaksin in those said accounts) this would account for why - to the surprise of most people - Thaksin appears to be experiencing serious cash flow problems.

Thaksin has about two billions dollars of his assets frozen - which are now presumably lost -

A thai person cannot send money oversea's without declaring the money, where it came from, and what it will be used for oversea's. If his money really was totally frozen, how does one buy a football club ?

There is rumor that 2 TG aircraft full of his stuff / money left for Europe just before or after the coup.

I have just read in the BKK Post that Toxin has been discussing with members of the Thai government about not returning to Thailand for some while now.

Surely anyone who was aware of this plan could be prosecuted as an assessory considering his wife has already been convicted and he himself was due to stand trial.

Just a thought.

Thai FM considers revoking Thaksin's diplomatic passport

VIENTIANE: -- Thailand's foreign ministry is considering revoking the diplomatic passport of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra after a Thai court issued arrest warrants for him and his wife Pojaman for failing to appear at a court hearing in regard to a land purchase case in Bangkok on Monday, said Foreign Minister Tej Bunnag on Tuesday.

Mr. Tej, on a two-day official visit to Laos starting Tuesday, told journalists that the Supreme Court which issued the arrest warrants for the couple on Monday must first officially inform the ministry.

The ministry of foreign affairs has not received information regarding the matter from the court or the prosecutor, he said, adding that ministry officials would need also to review regulations regarding the revocation of diplomatic passports.

The study will be conducted as soon as possible in order to ensure that it does not violate Thai law and the ministry's regulations, Mr. Tej said.

Mr. Thaksin had his diplomatic passport returned to him by former foreign minister Noppadon Pattama who had previously been the ousted premier's legal advisor.

Ousted in a bloodless coup d'etat in September 2006, Mr. Thaksin and his wife failed to appear early Monday at the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions to fight charges relating to the Bangkok land scandal which occurred in 2003.

The couple flew to London from Beijing after attending the opening ceremony of Beijing Olympics held last Friday.

The court later in the day issued arrest warrants for them and confiscated their bail totaling Bt13 million.

Multi-billionaire Mr. Thaksin has his own residence in England and also bought Manchester City football club last year. His status of doing business in the UK raises questions as to whether his extradition is possible.

Mr. Tej said he would rather not say that an "obstacle" existed, but ministry officials would need to enquire with the Thai embassy in London, as well as the Home and Foreign offices of the British government as to whether there is a possibility of extraditing the couple to Thailand.

-- TNA 2008-08-12

My angle is obvious. I am a Brit living here in LOS but still paying tax in the UK on my pension and am one of those old school guys who just happens to believe in decency and honesty.

Pray tell why you have chosen to live out your pension years in a country where decency and honesty within the government are essentially non-existent?

...as opposed to Gordon Brown's nu-labour Government?

Interesting notion of the British working class hatred of the rich - thing is though a lot of the haters are not only English

Well it was just one of the thing, that sprang to my mind, like bar closures. Nothing personal, even thou it's obvious that his relaxed stay in the UK adds fuel into the fire..

As for tolerated aliens - we are in Singapore too

:o:D C'mon don't compare..ask anyone,who lives there. One can get Permanent Residency & Citizenship, if one wants.. S'pore is THE Easiest place in asia to naturalise into a full-rights citizen.. Thailand is firmly on the other end of the stick !

Btw. local expats may like to know, that anyone married to Singapore resident-citizen gets PR Very Fast, & can become citisen in a couple of years<that what i meant by comparing to S'pore>

A thai person cannot send money oversea's without declaring the money, where it came from, and what it will be used for oversea's. If his money really was totally frozen, how does one buy a football club ?

There is rumor that 2 TG aircraft full of his stuff / money left for Europe just before or after the coup.

This is true. It's widely believed that at least one aircraft departed Don Muang air-force base - and you can be fairly sure it wasn't stuffed with furniture or Thakin's personal possessions.

They were most probably stuffed with hard currency (notes) and where - and in which overseas bank accounts - those notes were ultimately deposited - is anyone's guess -

Let's not forget that - at this time - Thaksin was still for all intent and purpose the boss.

Whichever way you look at it - these are dark days for Thaksin and his family members -

btw. i'm still waiting for anyone to explain, what makes Thaksin any worse, than other rulers of this land ?!?

Thaksin sanctioned the inhumane and extra-judicial killing of hundreds - thousands - of law abidding Thais - in his so-called 'war on drugs' AND - Tak Bai - Khrue See - in the south -

I don't recall Chuan - Chawalit or Banharm doing anything like this during their terms at the helm -

Edited by bulmercke

Ok now that's the valid answer, i can accept . Btw darn funny your agreement about planes loaded with cash, almost falled off my chair :o . Did you helped him to load the planes ?!?

It's not africa. you know. He WAS rich well before coming to power, & nowadays it's at a click of the button, that one can transfer millions(which are rightfully his, anywhere in the world!) he couldnt buy Football club with cash, thats sure!

Edited by asiaworld

Ok now that's the valid answer, i can accept . Btw darn funny your agreement about planes loaded with cash, almost falled off my chair :o . Did you helped him to load the planes ?!?

It's not africa. you know. He WAS rich well before coming to power, & nowadays it's at a click of the button, that one can transfer millions(which are rightfully his, anywhere in the world!) he couldnt buy Football club with cash, thats sure!

asiaworld - don't want to be confrontational - but this rumour - at the time - about the plane stuffed with cash wasn't discussed only on TV but but just about every other discussion forum (both foreign and Thai) in Thailand.

And electronic transfers of funds - as you know - are easily traceable -

bulmercke- no confrontation at all :o . Just sounds like a silly thai rumor. Have you lived in the UK ? Do you know how paranoid THEY are ?! After the bombings, they are very strict about the origin of funds.. Surely they've found it to be legit, otherwise, they wouldn't let him stay there. Cash is one of those things,that'd surely drive them nuts .