Thaksin and Wife Fail to Board Return Flight

marshbags

Dr. Thaksin will have no immediate visa problems as he is a heavy investor in UK, IMHO.

What's the current visa rules for big time investors in UK?

Or maybe he's a permanent resident in UK as an investor. That would make things difficult to kick him out.

Hey, you don't want him over there, do you?? :D

Nope.

Hey, you ever smelled custard pies laced with dog poo? One helluva deterrant to errant bail-jumper, convicts to stay off one's patch I'd say.

Hint, hint to Weybridge/Knightsbridge and environs residents to keep the riff-raff out. :o

The fact is 99.9% of the British public will not give a shit about Thaksin being there - I only give .5% due to the football side. We have much more corrupt and violent people on our soil Thaksin is hardly worth bothering with. Its only a few newbies to Thailand who are getting their collective knickers in a twist. Were they this vociferous over Pinochet or others?

This very same kind of mai pen rai attitude towards crime is omni-present in Thailand. Look at the results... Even the police force is in on it.

The very same attitude that allowed Thaksin to become the criminal he is.

You want him to live from the profit of his crimes and continue over there or what?

You are also leaving out what Human Rights Watch is saying about the man.

...Thaksin has British passport,right?.....anyway even if he were extradicted back to LOS he has too much power and moneytry clout to spend any long prison sentance in a crowded "monkey house"......the place is crawling with misdemeanors and corrupt deals of past regeims.....you scratch mine I'LL scratch yours ,....will be the end result.....and nothing will change until Thailand get free press....

No he doesn t

I'd never heard thew one about Thaksin and a British passport until reading this thread. I think that it is highly unlikely, given that Thaksin has not resided in the UK for long enough, and with all the political conotations, I would find it hard to believe that he would have just been issued one. The fact that he is applying for "Political Asylum" suggests clearly that he doesn't have such a passport, although he may want one.

Exactly!

Edited by Tony Clifton

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had been obvious all along that they wouldn't return. When a convicted criminal, who hadn't served a single hour in jail, is granted permission to leave the country for any reason, they won't be coming back. Shameful really. Just when the Thai justice system was heading in he right direction, they let her off. I had really hoped to see her mug behind bars along with her brother and hubby.

thats thailand full of curoption as usual, would like to know how was the person to let her leave the contry, she is a convicted crimenal and was out on bail, hope this person will take the fall for that. its a massing how things work in thailand, i know it would happend but hoped it want, money talks again and again :o

The USA has the best Constitution in the world and it has lasted for over 200 years with NO re-write........through 'thick and thin' times; if you need change, copy it.

Quite incorrect .

What about the Bill Of Rights amendments to start

10 amendments ratified as a group by the states on these dates

1 New Jersey Nov 20, 1789

2 Maryland Dec 19, 1789

3 North Carolina Dec 22, 1789

4 South Carolina Jan 19, 1790

5 New Hampshire Jan 25, 1790

6 Delaware Jan 28, 1790

7 New York Feb 24, 1790

8 Pennsylvania Mar 10, 1790

9 Rhode Island Jun 7, 1790

10 Vermont Nov 3, 1791

11 Virginia Dec 15, 1791 *

12 Massachusetts Mar 2, 1939

13 Georgia Mar 18, 1939

14 Connecticut Apr 19, 1939

Then another 17 amendments

http://www.usconstitution.net/constamrat.html

The last state to ratify an existing amendment was Tenessee in 1997, the 27th Amendment,

which restricts raises in congressional pay, was proposed on September 25, 1789.

And the 26th lowered the voting age to 18

The 26th Amendment, which ensures the vote to all citizens over the age of 18, was proposed on March 23, 1971.

# State Date *

1 Connecticut Mar 23, 1971

2 Delaware Mar 23, 1971

3 Minnesota Mar 23, 1971

4 Tennessee Mar 23, 1971

5 Washington Mar 23, 1971

6 Hawaii Mar 24, 1971

7 Massachusetts Mar 24, 1971

8 Montana Mar 29, 1971

9 Arkansas Mar 30, 1971

10 Idaho Mar 30, 1971

11 Iowa Mar 30, 1971

12 Nebraska Apr 2, 1971

13 New Jersey Apr 3, 1971

14 Kansas Apr 7, 1971

15 Michigan Apr 7, 1971

16 Alaska Apr 8, 1971

17 Maryland Apr 8, 1971

18 Indiana Apr 8, 1971

19 Maine Apr 9, 1971

20 Vermont Apr 16, 1971

21 Louisiana Apr 17, 1971

22 California Apr 19, 1971

23 Colorado Apr 27, 1971

24 Pennsylvania Apr 27, 1971

25 Texas Apr 27, 1971

26 South Carolina Apr 28, 1971

27 West Virginia Apr 28, 1971

28 New Hampshire May 13, 1971

29 Arizona May 14, 1971

30 Rhode Island May 27, 1971

31 New York Jun 2, 1971

32 Oregon Jun 4, 1971

33 Missouri Jun 14, 1971

34 Wisconsin Jun 22, 1971

35 Illinois Jun 29, 1971

36 Alabama Jun 30, 1971

37 Ohio Jun 30, 1971

38 North Carolina Jul 1, 1971

39 Oklahoma Jul 1, 1971 *

40 Virginia Jul 8, 1971

41 Wyoming Jul 8, 1971

42 Georgia Oct 4, 1971

Ratified in 100 days

Noting that there are 50 states and not ALL have ratified it, yet it is law.

An the right of women to vote

The 19th Amendment, which ensures women the right to vote, was proposed on June 4, 1919.

# State Date *

1 Illinois Jun 10, 1919;

2 Michigan Jun 10, 1919

3 Wisconsin Jun 10, 1919

4 Kansas Jun 16, 1919

5 New York Jun 16, 1919

6 Ohio Jun 16, 1919

7 Pennsylvania Jun 24, 1919

8 Massachusetts Jun 25, 1919

9 Texas Jun 28, 1919

10 Iowa July 2, 1919

11 Missouri Jul 3, 1919

12 Arkansas Jul 28, 1919

13 Montana Aug 2, 1919

14 Nebraska Aug 2, 1919

15 Minnesota Sep 8, 1919

16 New Hampshire Sep 10, 1919

17 Utah Oct 2, 1919

18 California Nov 1, 1919

19 Maine Nov 5, 1919

20 North Dakota Dec 1, 1919

21 South Dakota Dec 4, 1919

22 Colorado Dec 15, 1919

23 Kentucky Jan 6, 1920

24 Rhode Island Jan 6, 1920

25 Oregon Jan 13, 1920

26 Indiana Jan 16, 1920

27 Wyoming Jan 27, 1920

28 Nevada Feb 7, 1920

29 New Jersey Feb 9, 1920

30 Idaho Feb 11, 1920

31 Arizona Feb 12, 1920

32 New Mexico Feb 21, 1920

33 Oklahoma Feb 28, 1920

34 West Virginia Mar 10, 1920

35 Washington Mar 22, 1920

36 Tennessee Aug 18, 1920 *

37 Connecticut Sep 14, 1920

38 Vermont Feb 8, 1921

39 Delaware Mar 6, 1923

40 Maryland Mar 29, 1941

41 Virginia Feb 21, 1952

42 Alabama Sep 8, 1953

43 Florida May 13, 1969

44 South Carolina Jul 1, 1969

45 Georgia Feb 20, 1970

46 Louisiana Jun 11, 1970

47 North Carolina May 6, 1971

48 Mississippi Mar 22, 1984

Not bad loser Missisippi couldn't even bring itself to agree for 64 years.

As you can see there have been many changes. over 200 years.

The 26th materially effected myself as I could vote MUCH sooner.

And did as an independant always.

BUT and a big BUT these changes usually were to tighten constriants on

political manipulation, and allowed greater freedoms for more people.

Pretty much the opposite of the PPP's appearant aims and certainly Thaksin's.

Nothing about abolishing political parties convicted of corruption by leadership etc.

There is no talk from PPP about making things better for the people,

but about re-writing the laws about political parties and politians liabilities.

Glad they are out of the country, and maybe things can calm a little.

Maybe the courts will invalidate PPP for election BS,

And maybe Thaksin's money will be spent on those that need it,

like all the little people in Issan he has been promising stuff too.

But let The Dems go in and do that..

they deserve a shot at good governance at this point.

IMHO

YMMV

A criminal offence - conspiracy of some sort perhaps, not sure if impeachment is the right word for a Prime Minister (as opposed to a President(

If Samak assisted Thaksin's getaway then isn't that an impeachable offence?
Hardly a "great getaway" Dont dont have to be too bright to have realised this was setup as an "out" for thuksin from the very start... "you will serve 3 years in jail for your crime.. but hey do you want the weekend off to leave the country and see the olympics? we trust you will come back"

Thais keep faith in their justice system, thuksin and wife get a walk.

It's ironic that the idea was to stop corruption.. and then this happens.

I can see no grounds for them being granted asylum. She has been convicted and should be refused entry to the country.

yes u right, its not political :o

hope the uk is better than thailand

but so much money.................... :D

I've always respected your determination and thusly it is rewarded....

a bigger blow-up of it...

http://www.naewna.com/news.asp?ID=117669

Actually it was my wife who wanted to see the original because the initial translations were not that accurate, but we couldn't find it anywhere.

We hope this guy stays out of LOS forever but doubt if it will make any difference in this time and age where he is only a phone call away and still able to pull the strings of his puppets by remote.

opalhort

Does Thaksin and his family still travel on diplomatic passports?
although i suspect that this whole farce was a done deal with the thais before they even left for china last week.

Very much likely IMHO.

hope not, she is a convicted criminal, how she can have a diplomatic passport?, and if she has, whats going on in this country, its time to see some heads rolling, like his best frend samark.........

If this proves to be true then how the hel_l can Samak and his bunch of imbecilic cronies stay in power? Basically the PM was not only sanctioning but aiding and abetted people to jump bail, one of them a convicted felon. You can also bet your bottom dollar his cabinet buddies and plenty of people in the police and immigration were in on it.

Thaksin Shinawatra's decision to go back into exile overseas followed two meetings with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej in the past month, a highly placed source in the People Power party (PPP) said.

The two men discussed ways the PPP could deal with the anti-government sentiment that had intensified since Mr Thaksin's return from his first period of self-exile, the source said.

They don't enforce that though do they in so far as Thais in the US have US citizenship and retain it when they return to Thailand no?

Yes. And quite the opposite as they actually help with the process. Ask any inter-Thai or foreigner (with luk krung child) who has had to obtain 'legalization' of their child's local Thai birth certificate to present to their "home" country embassy from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs out near Laksi. The MFA knows perfectly well that these requests are to obtain a 2nd and sometimes 3rd citizenship.

:o

my friend has both Thai and US passports and somehow manages to travel on both

So do I. It's not a problem.

:D

Yep and now I am very saddened to say I am for the first time ashamed to be British if they do allow a now definite criminal (yes it is a criminal offence in the extreme to jump bail) to stay safely in exile in the UK. IT IS DISGUSTING IN THE EXTREME. I WILL, AND I HOPE OTHER BRITS HERE WILL, WRITE TO THE BRITISH EMBASSY STRONGLY OBJECTING TO BRITAINS INTERNTAIONAL CRIMINAL ACT IN HARBOURING TAKSIN AND HIS WIFE.

I won't be and I couldn't give a smeg to be honest. Let him in, they let in thousands of other undesirables everyday, and besides, I live here so why should I care. If I were living and paying taxes there, it would possibly be different. I can see where you're coming from if you live in the UK, but if, as I suspect, you live in Muang Thai, then where's your angle? Chill and have a beer :o

My angle is obvious. I am a Brit living here in LOS but still paying tax in the UK on my pension and am one of those old school guys who just happens to believe in decency and honesty. Britain, IF they allow him and his already found guilty wife to stay there, will then be a criminal country for harbouring escaped convicts and bail jumpers. No question of those crimes and still waiting to bring Toxin's alleged crimes to proper justice too. How would Britain react if Thailand harboured a wanted and found guilty criminal of theirs. Jeez they go on about world despot Governments who do not uphold decent law yet hypocritically seem to be spitting in the face of Thailand when they want their escape convicts and bail breakers back.

Sure I think there is a hidden agenda here in that they seemed to be so stupid as to even grant bail and to travel abroad too.

Thanks to whoever for the Home Office link I think we should all bombard them with e-mailed protests demanding justifications for even allowing him in let alone to stay there too.

If you really want to push it to its logical conclusion then you are correct - the UK should extradite him if Thaksin can not prove in the extradition proceedings the charges etc are not political in nature and that he would not get a fair trial.

However, is it not best for Thailand and less divisive to just let him sit in exile and out of Thai politics (I am assuming he has given up on the 3 billion frozen and will not be funding anything soon as he conserves his hundreds of million $ outside of Thailand - maybe a big assumption.)

The UK has much worse than him in its midst, he will be seen as a white collar criminal in the UK by the majority. We have supported and given succour to much worse than him if they were "ours". Just look at the likes of the Proddies and IRA we let out of jail for political ends and a quiet life?

Yep and now I am very saddened to say I am for the first time ashamed to be British if they do allow a now definite criminal (yes it is a criminal offence in the extreme to jump bail) to stay safely in exile in the UK. IT IS DISGUSTING IN THE EXTREME. I WILL, AND I HOPE OTHER BRITS HERE WILL, WRITE TO THE BRITISH EMBASSY STRONGLY OBJECTING TO BRITAINS INTERNTAIONAL CRIMINAL ACT IN HARBOURING TAKSIN AND HIS WIFE.

I won't be and I couldn't give a smeg to be honest. Let him in, they let in thousands of other undesirables everyday, and besides, I live here so why should I care. If I were living and paying taxes there, it would possibly be different. I can see where you're coming from if you live in the UK, but if, as I suspect, you live in Muang Thai, then where's your angle? Chill and have a beer :o

My angle is obvious. I am a Brit living here in LOS but still paying tax in the UK on my pension and am one of those old school guys who just happens to believe in decency and honesty. Britain, IF they allow him and his already found guilty wife to stay there, will then be a criminal country for harbouring escaped convicts and bail jumpers. No question of those crimes and still waiting to bring Toxin's alleged crimes to proper justice too. How would Britain react if Thailand harboured a wanted and found guilty criminal of theirs. Jeez they go on about world despot Governments who do not uphold decent law yet hypocritically seem to be spitting in the face of Thailand when they want their escape convicts and bail breakers back.

Sure I think there is a hidden agenda here in that they seemed to be so stupid as to even grant bail and to travel abroad too.

Thanks to whoever for the Home Office link I think we should all bombard them with e-mailed protests demanding justifications for even allowing him in let alone to stay there too.

If you really want to push it to its logical conclusion then you are correct - the UK should extradite him if Thaksin can not prove in the extradition proceedings the charges etc are not political in nature and that he would not get a fair trial.

However, is it not best for Thailand and less divisive to just let him sit in exile and out of Thai politics (I am assuming he has given up on the 3 billion frozen and will not be funding anything soon as he conserves his hundreds of million $ outside of Thailand - maybe a big assumption.)

The UK has much worse than him in its midst, he will be seen as a white collar criminal in the UK by the majority. We have supported and given succour to much worse than him if they were "ours". Just look at the likes of the Proddies and IRA we let out of jail for political ends and a quiet life?

Various posrters have suggested dropping an E mail to the Home Office. I have done that and also to my MP in my home town in the UK, I have lived in Thailand for five years. TGhe response almost immediat, well fifteen moin as below.

"Many thanks Brian

I have been following the case with interest....particularly as I wish the UK to retain its good relations with Thailand. When the House resumes I will be taking this case up with the Foreign Secretary. Clearly no fugitives should be allowed safe harbour in our country, irrespective of which country they are fleeing, unless to do so would threaten their lives.

Many thanks for bringing it to my attention,

yours

nigel "

I'd still say a big som nam nar is in order for the Thaksin "haters."

They are still free (and comfortable) and most of ya'll will still have to line up at Suan Phlu or wherever once a year (or more).

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the golden rule applies everywhere.

You reckon do you.

We in general are here by choice, are free to come and go, and can stay in Thailand so long as we qualify to do so.

We can also return to our country of abode as and when we choose to do so, without fear of arrest and jail time.

While we may not be corrupt and as a result rich beyond what is legally achievable, we are comfortable with our chosen lot and that,s a fact.

Your man Thaksin is far more suited to your pathetic " som nam nar " quote.

He is a man ?? who is governed by his ego and greed for power and still more money and comfort to him includes not only the 3 i,ve mentioned, but several others.

All of which he cannot have in his once comfortable Thailand as happened, prior to his self enforced exile, out of fear of what is to come, not only for himself but his family also, all of which, i,d like to add are justly deserved.

He is at last starting to receive what Thai believe is payback for bad things you do in your life, in his case overseeing the murder of innocentsnot only in the EKJ,s but also the ones in the south that included an other infamous murderous situation of Thai inocents who suaght sanctuary and safety in the local temple.

KARMA you will know is far more applicable than your pathetic attempt at being a t*a* and making an offensive and sarcatic remark which is offensive to all members, myself included who have to, line up at Suan Phlu or wherever once a year (or more).

You are in this small statement displaying what you actually think of us all....... :D

Respect you thought you had for yourself just went out the window.

Your status and money can never buy it back, from most of those who have to LINE UP

I.M. Honest O. of course.

marshbags :o

I reckon I touched a nerve. :D

And btw, I'm hardly pro-anything other than pro-Heng. As mentioned, Thaksin is reaping what he sowed.

Various posrters have suggested dropping an E mail to the Home Office. I have done that and also to my MP in my home town in the UK, I have lived in Thailand for five years. The response almost immediat, well fifteen moin as below.

So you're not a constituent then.

Why would a British MP feel obligated to represent the interests of a non-domiciled, non-taxpayer, in the case of a Thai tax-dodger?

Sort of an irony here !

i don't condone thaskin's actions and life choices but he is a character/player and you do have to admire him to one extent or another. he's like a dog and you can't change the nature of a dog you can only expect thaskin to be thaskin and its fun to watch.

heng, do you vote in Thai or American elections?

We hope this guy stays out of LOS forever but doubt if it will make any difference in this time and age where he is only a phone call away and still able to pull the strings of his puppets by remote.

opalhort

Sometimes very healthy to harbor doubts, its every hu-mans right!

He won't give up that easy - just ran for shelter....and they will keep mixing the potion...he has a long way to go and he and his wife are certainly not prepared to end as losers!

Wait, watch and see...

Edited by Samuian

Tej says he will urgently consider courts' request for revocation of Thaksin's passport

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Tej Bunnaj said Tuesday that he would rush to consider court's request for revocation of foreign prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's passport once the court submits the request.

He said so far courts and public prosecutors have not asked the Foreign Ministry to take the action yet.

"If a request is made, the Foreign Ministry will give it a top priority," Tej said.

-- The Nation 2008-08-12

League ready to subject Thaksin to second fit and proper test

The Premier League is facing an unprecedented trial of its fit and proper persons test after arrest warrants were issued for the Manchester City owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, in Thailand yesterday.

His next step may be to apply for political asylum in Britain but, should he be convicted in Thailand in his absence, the Premier League would be prepared to reassess his suitability to own a club.

In what would be an unprecedented case the Premier League would take legal advice before making a decision that could result in Thaksin having to sell his stake in Manchester City.

Whether the league would recognise a conviction in Thailand should Thaksin receive political asylum has yet to be determined. The league could yet be spared that difficulty if Thaksin elects to sell the club, although a City spokesman yesterday said the businessman has no such plans.

Under the fit and proper persons test "any director is automatically disqualified if convicted of one of a number of offences by a 'competent court' anywhere in the world". Thaksin is currently a "fit and proper" owner as he has not been convicted. He has denied the charges, claiming they were politically motivated.

Legal officials in Bangkok have confirmed the case against Thaksin will continue in his absence. The Thai authorities may also seek to extradite the billionaire and his wife unless they are granted political asylum. Two weeks ago Thaksin's wife, Pojaman, was sentenced to three years in jail for tax fraud but was granted bail.

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League chief executive, said: "If we feel the rule has been breached, we will invoke it. We will not turn a blind eye to issues of a serious nature. As always, we will take advice from the Home Office and the Foreign Office."

A court in Bangkok issued the warrants after the deposed Thai prime minister and his wife fled to Britain on Sunday rather than face corruption charges. They travelled to London from the Olympic opening ceremony in Beijing .

Of more concern to City fans is the club's increasingly uncertain financial future. Thaksin is unable to release an estimated ฃ800m in assets frozen by the Thai government in June last year and was seeking new investors in the club prior to his latest exile.

-- Guardian Online 2008-08-12

Why not post on some English newspaper websites? They're the one's who need to be informed. Anyway, a bad day for Thaksin is a good day for Thailand. Just the thought that he may be in sunny London for Winter!!! Enjoy.

I won't be and I couldn't give a smeg to be honest. Let him in, they let in thousands of other undesirables everyday, and besides, I live here so why should I care. If I were living and paying taxes there, it would possibly be different. I can see where you're coming from if you live in the UK, but if, as I suspect, you live in Muang Thai, then where's your angle? Chill and have a beer :D

Yes Prakanong you are very correct in all you say, BUT this does still not make it right. A corrupt guy given refuge in England so called home of democracy and honesty :o who has committed a clear criminal offence of jumping bail, has a wife and staff with him who have been criminally convicted to jail terms and is himself indited for corruption charges that have blatantly robbed billions of Baht from the Thai nation and its decent honest peoples. I cannot EVER agree that this is right or desirable for anyone to get away with huge criminal gains especially at the expense of poor people.

As I said earlier if the UK allow him to stay then I am sadly ashamed to be British. Just what his wife criminally fiddled in taxes using her position of power would have taken about 2000 Thai families out of poverty for at least a year, that is how much money this really is, doesn't sound so much when you we just glibly say 540 million Baht. Once he has been convicted as guilty quite simply and fairly all his criminal gains should be returned to the people from whom it was taken ( i.e. the ordinary Thai folk) like any recovered stolen property. Yep we can all see he is not the only corrupt guy in power in Thailand but he has been caught and must pay his penalty in full, in time others will be caught too and will be convicted we trust in a similar way and serve jail sentences.

Britain always has hypocritically stated that Votes give power not Money ... hahahahahah. Nice words that should indeed be the case in any truly democratic state, if any actually exist !!

Edited by rayw

Shame on British authorities if they grant assylum to the Shinawatre family. Their claim for assylum does not remotely fit within the parameters of assylum.

Shame also on the Thai authorities who gave them back diplomatic passports. Indeed, the Shinawatres should have no passports, considering their legal perdicatment. A black mark is also given to whichever authorities allowed them to post bail and skip out of the country - purportedly because there was no risk of fleeing.

Don,t worry B.B. the only people saying he will be granted P. assylam are the ones who know least about our requirements regarding U.K. law as shown in the B.news story George posted in post 325

part quote :-

Breaking News:

England a 'safe haven' for Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife will be granted political asylum in Britain, political analysts predicted after the ex-premier fled to England on Monday.

Thitinant Pongsuthirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, said Mr Thaksin and his wife opted for exile because they knew they would lose their court cases here.

He predicted Mr Thaksin and his wife would enjoy their exile in the United Kingdom, which is known to provide asylum to those who can prove they were politically persecuted, could not rely on the justice system in their country and were facing threats to their lives.

Unquote

How these political analysts can predict the outcome of any proposed political asylum applications re the Thaksins in England, is rather like the English law makers predicting a similar scenario in Thailand.

Only when an application is received and vetted thoroughly, can the request be given a yes or no.

It this time there is no official confirmation or otherwise such a case has been submitted.

From what he is saying, and based on alleged facts, he is openly lying through his teeth about, U.K. experts in law reckon his chances are very remote indeed.

One should never under estimate Thaksins deviousness, but again English law is no fool when it comes to the details and requirements.

As for the fact he is an owner of a certain f.club as someone highlighted, as and when he is convicted, his chances of holding on to the club are very remote indeed when a fit and proper test will have to be carried out, accordingly.

As Thailand is a major center for housing and caring for Great Britain's criminal population, it is only fitting and fair that England should likewise provide housing and care for Dr. Shinawatra.

Too true!

Yes housing and care as in a holding cell prior to him being escorted out of the country, as in extraditon

Shame on British authorities if they grant assylum to the Shinawatre family. Their claim for assylum does not remotely fit within the parameters of assylum.

Pretty sure they have valid visas to enter Britain

Shame also on the Thai authorities who gave them back diplomatic passports. Indeed, the Shinawatres should have no passports, considering their legal perdicatment. A black mark is also given to whichever authorities allowed them to post bail and skip out of the country - purportedly because there was no risk of fleeing.

It was one of the first things that Takky's former lawyer did, return the red diplomatic passport. Papadom has gone now so so they will ask for that one back again. They are still Tai citizens and are entitled to passports as identification for international travel. At the time they travelled the GB they were still legally out of the country, in that they the permission of the court to leave the country using their own passports. The situation has since changed, in that they are now subject to arrest warrents issued by the supreme court (or a branch of it). If those warrents are registered with the countries that exchange information about such things, Mr and Mrs Takky may have trouble going to any other country now they are in GB.

It will be interesting to see what happens next, if the court asks for the extradition of the miscreants The powers that be will holding the sword of Damocles (SP?) in that do they really ant them back as a rallying point for the great unwashed, or just holed up in England and not able to go any where?

Don,t worry B.B. the only people saying he will be granted P. assylam are the ones who know least about our requirements regarding U.K. law as shown in the B.news story George posted in post 325

part quote :-

Breaking News:

England a 'safe haven' for Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife will be granted political asylum in Britain, political analysts predicted after the ex-premier fled to England on Monday.

Thitinant Pongsuthirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, said Mr Thaksin and his wife opted for exile because they knew they would lose their court cases here.

He predicted Mr Thaksin and his wife would enjoy their exile in the United Kingdom, which is known to provide asylum to those who can prove they were politically persecuted, could not rely on the justice system in their country and were facing threats to their lives.

Unquote

How these political analysts can predict the outcome of any proposed political asylum applications re the Thaksins in England, is rather like the English law makers predicting a similar scenario in Thailand.

Only when an application is received and vetted thoroughly, can the request be given a yes or no.

It this time there is no official confirmation or otherwise such a case has been submitted.

From what he is saying, and based on alleged facts, he is openly lying through his teeth about, U.K. experts in law reckon his chances are very remote indeed.

One should never under estimate Thaksins deviousness, but again English law is no fool when it comes to the details and requirements.

As for the fact he is an owner of a certain f.club as someone highlighted, as and when he is convicted, his chances of holding on to the club are very remote indeed when a fit and proper test will have to be carried out, accordingly.

Personally I remain convinced the British government would not want an asylum case from Mr. Thaksin. Living in exile fine but a request for politcal asylum would be a right headache

Thaksin 'has hurt nation's reputation'

Supreme Commander Gen Boonsrang Niempradit and Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday slammed Thaksin Shinawatra, saying the deposed PM's statement damaged Thailand's reputation. Gen Boonsrang said Thaksin's statement, issued yesterday, which mentioned a lack of trust in the judiciary, harmed the national image.

He said he trusted the judicial system but that some leaders might be prejudiced. He also refused to say that the reason Mr Thaksin decided not to return to face trial was because of the influence of the coup makers, who toppled Mr Thaksin's government on Sept 19, 2006.''His Majesty the King recognises highly the importance of the judiciary. When judges have an audience with him, he gives them a lot of time. The public should follow him,'' Gen Boonsrang said.

In his statement, Thaksin cited his lack of confidence in the judicial system as being among his reasons for staying in London with his wife Potjaman and his children instead of returning to Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/120808_News/12Aug2008_news12.php

================================================================

Ousted Thaksin's court swipe a case of bad judgment

Bangkok - He skipped bail and fled into exile in London, but what really signalled the end of Thaksin Shinawatra's political comeback hopes was his parting swipe at Thailand's Supreme Court.

No one criticises the courts in Thailand, but if you're a former prime minister trying to clear your name in a slew of graft cases that followed a military coup, it's tantamount to blowing up the only bridge leading back home.

"He has defamed the court and so he's gone for good," Thaksin biographer and political analyst Chris Baker said after the 59-year-old Telecoms billionaire failed to appear with his wife, Potjaman, at the Supreme Court yesterday.

Prosecutors allege that Potjaman, who was sentenced to three years in jail last month for tax fraud in another case, bought a prime piece of Bangkok real estate for a knock-down price from the government while Thaksin was in power.

The couple's trial will continue in their absence, and Thaksin's comments in a hand-written statement faxed to television stations from Britain will not endear the judges to his pleas of innocence.

In the note, he alleged that the cases building up against him were part of a plot by his political enemies - namely, the royalist military elite that masterminded the September 2006 coup - to "finish myself and my family".

The court responded swiftly to the jibes, issuing an arrest warrant for Thaksin and Potjaman and seizing their respective 8-million baht and 5-million baht bail bonds.

It is beyond doubt that the comments will have infuriated judges, who have the explicit backing of King Bhumibol Adulyadej to sort out the political mess in which Thailand has been mired for the past three years.

There is also the matter of more than $2-billion of Thaksin money sitting frozen in Thai bank accounts since the coup.

The temerity of his remarks brought immediate condemnation from General Boonsrang Niumpradit, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces.

"Such remarks by a former leader could damage Thailand's image by suggesting it has an unjust judicial system," Boonsrang said after a monthly meeting of military top brass.

Even Thaksin's former proteges in the People Power Party (PPP), which only won December's election thanks to his huge rural popularity, moved quickly to distance themselves from what now appears to be irreparably damaged goods.

It remains to be seen what impact Thaksin's decision has on the PPP-led coalition government, which drew huge support from its talismanic proxy leader but also the vehement opposition of Thailand's old guard in the palace and military.

Thaksin's removal from the fray might take some of the heat off Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, although the PPP is itself facing possible dissolution by the courts for electoral fraud.

"This ship is full of holes and is ready to sink any time. It is up to the captain to try to survive the waves," said Boonyakiat Karavekphan of Bangkok's Ramkhamhaeng University.

- Reuters

Edited by sriracha john

Why not post on some English newspaper websites? They're the one's who need to be informed. Anyway, a bad day for Thaksin is a good day for Thailand. Just the thought that he may be in sunny London for Winter!!! Enjoy.

They are, dont, let it appaer as otherwise.

Even the BBC are now doing more in depth news reporting on the scenarioof Thaksin, that took place before and after his second run from the authorities and justice.

They are now open and seemingly honest from my observations, and not economical with the truth.

This enforces my views that Thaksin and his wife will not be overlooked, should a controversial decision be taken or come to that, even considered to be taken, at the home office.

Especially when Thaksin guilt will be justly proven in the highest court in Thailand, based purely on gathered, evidence.

Regarding him hurting the nations reputation he most cetainly has and to put it another way.

Regarding the country and it,s loyal citizens, he has undermind everyone from all walks of honest life

Edited by marshbags