Thaksin and Wife Fail to Board Return Flight

marshbags

I can't believe that the UK would ever grant them any sort of asylum.

If they do.

Will Thailand close the embassy/consulates in GB?

I was always under the impression that 'asylum' was granted to persons fleeing their country of residence due to fear of being killed or persecuted due to their political beliefs.

The Dalai Lama sought asylum in India and was granted such for good reason.

Thaksin has not been persecuted and his wife is a convicted criminal on the run from a prison sentence.

Surely any granting of 'asylum' to the Shinawatras would make the U.K. as guilty as Saudi Arabia was when it granted asylum to Idi Amin. :o

Hi,

The question of Policial aslum is a difficult one, dont forget the military takeover, undemocratic to say the least.

THerefore it is quite reasonable for Mr Toxic to claim he will be persecuted in his own country, Idi Amin was granted Asylum by the Saudi Government on very similar grounds.

You should forget the fact Mr T oreer the crackdown on drug takers/dealers which led to the murder of over 2000 people, the THai government will never place charges against him or anyone else for those killings, without a charge against him in LOS this matter is will be "irrelevent" when and if he applies for Asylum in the uk or any other country.

For my money he will likely go to Hong Kong/China before he applies here in the uk.

The THai Government will not be seeking to extredite him, he is now no longer a threat to them so why would they rock the boat?

As the Thai GOvernment has seized a great deal of his assetts then those assets will either go to the government ( or elsewhere?) or remain frozen until he returns to LOS, a win win situation ofr the current thai government all round.

Be Poetic justice if some drug gang managed to get a stash of heroin into Mr T's luggage which was then discovered on his arrival in London.

Toxic by name and Toxic by nature.

roy gsd

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep and now I am very saddened to say I am for the first time ashamed to be British if they do allow a now definite criminal (yes it is a criminal offence in the extreme to jump bail) to stay safely in exile in the UK. IT IS DISGUSTING IN THE EXTREME. I WILL, AND I HOPE OTHER BRITS HERE WILL, WRITE TO THE BRITISH EMBASSY STRONGLY OBJECTING TO BRITAINS INTERNTAIONAL CRIMINAL ACT IN HARBOURING TAKSIN AND HIS WIFE. You could perhaps understand him getting away with if he went to say Burma in exile where they have a tin pot dictatorship governement, but in Britian the so called home of democracy and justice ?????????

If there was any slightest doubt of his guilt, now surely there is none as only a guilty man would jump bail especially seeing the Government here are also his friends and obviously can't help him wiggle out of it. Yes he is innocent until proven and charged as guilty but he MUST stand trial for what he is accused of and for jumping bail. Strange how money talks even in the UK as an ordinary and honest Thai person wanting to spend some time with their friends/partners in the UK finds it so hard yet that bastard robber and bail jumper Taksin just casually wanders in. So come on all you guys lets ask some serious and embarrassing questions of the British Government over this.

Britain MUST arrest this man and his wife and deport them back to where they are wanted for criminal offences including robbing the ordinary honest decent Thai folk over many years. This is normal practice and in full honour and support of International Criminal Justice which we Brits are all too keen to pronounce when it suits us it seems. Once again this is DISGUSTING of Britain if it turns out to be really true as it seems, and I thought my home country was honourable .. lets see now if they really are and do the honourable and right thing !!!

EXCELLENT POST I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!! I'AM BRITISH TOO THANKYOU FOR YOUR POST..LETS HOPE WE CAN ALL CONTACT OUR EMBASSY EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT BRITISH..EMBARRASSING QUESTIONS WILL NOT GO AWAY AS EASY AS HE GOT ON THAT PLANE..

You need to calm down. They only just arrived in Britain, and the arrest warrants have were only issued a few hours ago.

Edited by tropo

Breaking News:

Thaksin announces his decision to seek asylum in England

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced his decision to seek a political asylum in England in a faxed statement to NBT Channel

The station read Thaksin's statement at about 11:50 am.

The former prime minister said he had to flee to England because he and his family did not receive justice in courts, which had been interfered by his political opponents.

He said there were also attempts to assassinate him.

The former prime minister said he could not trust in the current political system because the coup makers had retained their dictatorial grip through their proxies.

--The Nation 2008-08-11

Faithful to his old habits, he's about to go on a spin campaign with rumours of, yet again, an assassination attempt :o and persecution from the justice system even while his own government is in power.

He's so predictable... :D time to update my avatar.

May i suggest you leave it as it is but incude the Bart Simpson song, with the theme is "It wasnt me I wasnt there"?

roy gsd

He claimed there were "intervention in judicial system"

Why didn't he mention a team of his own lawyers who got caught offering bribes to court officials?

I hope it will be mentioned in later reports on his situation. here in Thailand we all know about that incindent already, it should be mentioned in the UK and US media as well.

Arrest warrants is a police matter here. The police will be responsible for their execution, not the courts, so it will take some time for the process to reach the stage where UK authorities would have to make any decisions, which will take even more time. The only problem for Thaksin will be inability to leave the UK once extradition proceedings are underway.

Chamlong says PAD to continue protests despite Thaksin's no return

BANGKOK: -- Chamlong Srimuang, a leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said Monday that he expected that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would not return to the country.

But he said the PAD would continue its protests against the government although Thaksin and his family might seek asylum in England.

-- The Nation 2008-08-11

Thaksin is still the surrogate leader, even in exile and the paymaster in chief.

For sure he will continue to try and manipulate the judicial system and try to get the constitution changed.

Regarding his claims of threats and the riding around in bullet proof cars, farcical injutices ect. ect. he,s dropped yet another bollo as anyone and everyone who has been here during his temp. return from exile can testify.

To part quote the B.Post :-

" he and his wife, Khunying Potjaman, are in Britain and will not return to Thailand to fight the corruption charges, citing political interference in the justice system "

Political Interference, Correct, but it comes from him and his surrogates.

The British Ambassador in residence and all the staff that are stationed here know full well this is fiction and also the true reason they fled from Thailand.

HTF can they be granted permission to stay, for whatever grounds, when she is a criminal on the run and they both have warrants out for their arrests for jumping bail relating to one of their criminal activities.

I can,t wait to see what the official reaction is in London in the next few days and if they will accept accountability, especially now the supreme court have officially issued warrants for them to be arrested.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

All part of the plan, just give it time to unfold.

He always used to be one step ahead, he's now a mile behind and on the run.

I hope you're right. Hopefully the trials will continue and the guilty verdicts will eradicate what little support he has left.

The Judge/judges who allowed his wife to retain her passport and gave permission for her to leave the country should be stripped of rank, appropriately fined and forced to serve her 3 year sentence. He/they are either totally stupid or corrupt and in either case should be made to pay the consequences of their bungling action.

If they do.

Will Thailand close the embassy/consulates in GB?

I was always under the impression that 'asylum' was granted to persons fleeing their country of residence due to fear of being killed or persecuted due to their political beliefs.

The Dalai Lama sought asylum in India and was granted such for good reason.

Thaksin has not been persecuted and his wife is a convicted criminal on the run from a prison sentence.

Surely any granting of 'asylum' to the Shinawatras would make the U.K. as guilty as Saudi Arabia was when it granted asylum to Idi Amin. :o

"Just my two cents worth on the Shinawatras. I'm no expert, but I think that if they weren't so kii niaow they probably wouldn't be in this mess."

I'm with you DocFilmGuy, just think how huge the Shinawatra family's face would have been if they had just taken 30% of what they made on the satellite deal and given it to orphanages and temples. Or how about donating the tax monies they avoided?

So unbelievably greedy...............I hope they get their come uppance

Thai news Agency version:

Arrest warrants out for ex-PM Thaksin, wife

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Supreme Court on Monday issued arrest warrants for ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman and also confiscated bail totaling Bt13 million (US$389,000).

Actions taken by the court came after the couple failed to appear early Monday at the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions to fight charges on the Bangkok land scandal which occurred in 2003.

The couple were charged with purchasing the property at the questionably low price of Bt772 million (US$26 million) from the Bank of Thailand's Financial Institutions Development Fund in 2003 while he was in office, which was against the constitution. Mr. Thaksin was charged with alleged corruption and abuse of power.

Both Mr. Thaksin and his wife, who was convicted on July 31 of tax evasion and released on bail, have denied any wrongdoing.

The court issued the warrants for the arrest of the couple after a team of their lawyers presented a document to the court stating why Mr. Thaksin and his wife failed to appear at the court. The lawyers returned before the court issued the order in the afternoon.

The bank was ordered to send the guarantor money to the court within five days after the order was issued.

In a handwritten statement issued earlier in the day, the couple said that they had decided to stay in the United Kingdom and not return to Thailand to fight graft charges in a Thai court.

Their lawyer Kamnuan Chalopatham said before the court issued the order that he was confident the deposed premier would return home and defend himself in court.

The multi-billionaire couple left Bangkok last week after the court allowed them to attend the opening ceremony of Beijing Olympics last Friday.

They were scheduled to return to Bangkok on Sunday but flew from Beijing to London instead.

Besides the land procurement scandal, the couple are also facing several other charges in court.

"In principle, Thaksin would return to fight the case because the only persons who could give the final and clear evidence is he (Mr. Thaksin) and Mrs. Pojaman. It's still unpredictable what he would decide," Mr. Kamnuan said.

Prosecutors will have to coordinate with the British court on the extradition process, Secretary General Sarawut Benjakul of Office of the Judiciary said.

The deposed premier had his own explanation for what was going on, as he told the press in London:

"What happened to me, my family and close associates resulted from a desire to discard me from politics through an assassination attempt followed by a coup and appointed a group of my enemies to investigate me and my family.

"The constitution which was inherited from the dictatorship had appointed people who supported the coup, both directly and indirectly, to become committee in several organisations and finish me off," Mr. Thaksin said in his statement.

-- TNA/MCOT 2008-08-11

First thing - only Pojamarn has jumped bail, and I don't think the arrest warrants have been issued for that one.

Today's warrants are only for a no show in Ratchada deal case, not the tax evasion for which she was convicted.

They have been granted permission to leave several times before, they had to present the reasons to the courts and they were approved/rejected on each case' merit. This time it was for Olympic ceremony, it was granted, last month it was rejected, I don't know why.

There will always be suspicion, of course, that the courts gave them permission to leave hoping that they won't come back and so relieve political pressure. I bet quite a few people had a breath of relieve today.

Don't forget that the money frozen in the banks is a better bail condition than 5 million paid directly after the conviction.

......edt.........

The deposed premier had his own explanation for what was going on, as he told the press in London:

"What happened to me, my family and close associates resulted from a desire to discard me from politics through an assassination attempt followed by a coup and appointed a group of my enemies to investigate me and my family.

"The constitution which was inherited from the dictatorship had appointed people who supported the coup, both directly and indirectly, to become committee in several organisations and finish me off," Mr. Thaksin said in his statement.

-- TNA/MCOT 2008-08-11

This is the half truth- twisted a bit to his favor... poor guy, another "honest lie"?

Learned that in this country much is about "face", where is his dignity gone?

On his statement, the mudslinging there in, an extradition would be the right move, just to let this gentleman learn his lesson!

Give up, sit quiet, enjoy the amassed wealth, be happy, that they allowed you to keep your face and let go... and then this?

Will he ever learn?

Thai news Agency version:

-- TNA/MCOT 2008-08-11

Ah that's it !

And here I was thinking it was his own actions (in violation of the constitution in effect while he was in power). Now it turns out it was all a plot by his enemies. :o

His enemies set up the (illegal) sale of Shin Corp.

His enemies set up the tax evasion.

His enemies set up the questionable land deal.

His enemies set up all the other illegal actions he and his family are now being investigated on.

So he is actually just an innocent victim in all this. After all, if he was still in power, many of these investigations would have never even started. And if he was still in power, those people appointed to those organizations would have been hand-picked by Mr T himself, and would never dare to find him guilty of anything. :D

Glad to see that he follows a typical trend to blame any and everyone else for the problems he created himself. :D

Hardly 'news' is it? Someone's been whispering in his ear again, only this time with the addendum, 'see what happened to your wife, well, we're not joking, bugger off'.

I think it was more in the <deleted> off or else mode while you have the opportunity.

Facilitated and carried out to the full, diplomatic passport and all.

Mind you he won,t keep that for much longer IMHO

Blues owner faces arrest

MANCHESTER City was in turmoil today after arrest warrants were issued on the club's billionaire owner Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife.

The deposed former Thai prime minister confirmed the couple had fled to Britain rather than face corruption charges at home.

A court in Bangkok issued the warrant after Mr Shinawatra and wife Pojaman - who has already been sentenced to three years in jail and was free only as part of her appeal - failed to turn up for a hearing this morning.

Thai authorities could now seek to extradite the pair unless they claim political asylum in Britain.

Mr Shinawatra confirmed in a hand-written note, published today, that he and his wife were travelling 'to reside in England' because 'dictatorship' in Thai politics was interfering with the justice system. It is understood the couple's three children are already in London.

The City owner made no comment on rumours he would claim asylum.

Legal officials in Bangkok confirmed the case against Mr Shinawatra and his wife was likely to go ahead in his absence - leaving Manchester City with an uncertain future.

The Premier League rulebook says any director is automatically disqualified if they are convicted of one of a number of listed offences by a 'competent court' anywhere in the world.

The list includes 'corrupt transactions with public agents', 'evasion of liability by deception', 'obtaining by deception' and 'cheating the public revenue'.

Senior league sources suggested Manchester City's position would have to be reviewed if Mr Shinawatra was convicted in Thailand.

A Home Office spokesman said any moves to extradite a non-British citizen from the country would depend on the nature of the charges and the status of the foreign court.

Britain would normally extradite to Thailand, he added - unless the person concerned was in the process of seeking asylum.

The spokesman refused to say whether the City owner or his family had already taken that option.

"We do not comment on individual cases," he said.

Some £800m of Mr Shinawatra's fortune has already been frozen by authorities in Bangkok pending the outcome of his trial.

Corruption alleged

Mr Shinawatra and his wife - who had been allowed to travel to Beijing for opening ceremony of the Olympic Games - were believed to have booked tickets on a flight from China to Thailand.

It is understood they failed to board the plane and instead made for London.

The couple had been due to appear before the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions, in a case involving an allegedly unlawful property purchase.

Mr Shinawatra and his wife face several court cases related to alleged abuse of power and corruption during his five years in power. He was deposed in a military coup in 2006.

In the handwritten note, read out on state-owned Thai TV today, the ex-PM said: "My wife and I have travelled to reside in England.

"If I still have luck, I would come back and die on Thai soil like every other Thai person.

"What happened to my family and me is like fruit from a poisonous tree - the fruit will also be poisoned.

"There is a continuation of dictatorship in managing Thai politics... which is followed by interference in the justice system."

Kriangkrai Juengjaturapit, chief judge of the court, has indicated the trial is likely to go ahead without the defendants, and a verdict issues.

Mr Shinawatra, who had previously insisted he would fight the charges in his home country, has said he has no intention of selling Manchester City.

'Injustice'

Mr Shinawatra controversially bought City for £80m this time last year and there was huge hopes among Blues fans that the billionaire would use part of his fortune to bankroll the Eastlands club to such an extent that City could challenge the Big Four dominance of the Premier League.

The M.E.N. revealed last week that he's been attempting to raise funds in the Middle East and India to bolster investment with City - a move that has led to analysts predicting that he has effectively put the club up for sale.

The lack of funds at City has led to some supporters becoming disenchanted, especially with players Vedran Corluka and Stephen Ireland being linked with apparent bargain moves to Tottenham and Sunderland respectively.

Thaksin was ousted by a military coup in Thailand in 2006 and he went into exile in Britain. However, his massive popularity in the countryside ensured a generally pro-Thaksin party won December's General Election.

Thai courts have accepted a string of corruption cases against Mr Shinawatra and his inner circle and the guilty verdict against his wife suggested they were not going to be cowed by his wealth or influence.

First thing - only Pojamarn has jumped bail, and I don't think the arrest warrants have been issued for that one.

Today's warrants are only for a no show in Ratchada deal case, not the tax evasion for which she was convicted.

They have been granted permission to leave several times before, they had to present the reasons to the courts and they were approved/rejected on each case' merit. This time it was for Olympic ceremony, it was granted, last month it was rejected, I don't know why.

There will always be suspicion, of course, that the courts gave them permission to leave hoping that they won't come back and so relieve political pressure. I bet quite a few people had a breath of relieve today.

Don't forget that the money frozen in the banks is a better bail condition than 5 million paid directly after the conviction.

I read this week that his permission to travel inand out of the country waqs on a case by case basis.

Anyway, the BBC always liked to doing things neatly and in order, so, they are now putting news about Mugabe and Thaksin back to back. :D

Oh how he used to love the spotlight... :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

BBC 11-08-08 9.30am UK

Ex-Thai PM 'will remain in UK'

Thaksin owns properties in England as well as Manchester City football club

Ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said he will not return to Thailand from the UK.

In a statement released to the Thai media, Mr Thaksin said he and his wife would remain in the UK, "where democracy is more important".

Mr Thaksin is on bail over corruption charges but failed to make a scheduled Bangkok court appearance on Monday.

Thailand's Supreme Court has now issued an arrest warrant for the billionaire, who owns Manchester City football club.

Mr Thaksin says the charges are politically motivated and an attempt to remove him from politics.

'Political enemies'

The former leader had been due to return to the Thai capital on Sunday after a court allowed him to attend the Olympic Games opening in Beijing.

CASES AGAINST THAKSIN FAMILY

Case one: Abuse of power related to purchase of state land by his wife. Who: Thaksin and his wife. Status: Trial underway

Case two: Abuse of power linked to government lottery scheme. Who: Thaksin and several former Cabinet ministers. Status: Case accepted by Supreme Court

Case three: Abuse of power related to state loan to Burma alleged to have benefited family business. Who: Thaksin. Status: Case accepted by Supreme Court

Case four: Concealing assets. Who: Thaksin, wife and two others. Status: Awaiting court decision on proceeding to trial

Case five: Tax evasion. Who: Members of Thaksin's family. Status: Pojaman Shinawatra and her brother jailed for three years, her secretary for two years

Several other claims also lodged

Profile: Thaksin Shinawatra

He and his wife - who is on bail pending an appeal after she was jailed for three years for tax fraud - were to appear before the Supreme Court in a case involving the allegedly unlawful purchase of land.

Instead Mr Thaksin issued a statement announcing his decision not to return home.

"What happened to me and my family and my close relations resulted from efforts to get rid of me from politics," he said in the hand-written statement.

"These are my political enemies. They don't care about the rule of law, facts or internationally recognised due process."

Mr Thaksin apologised to the Thai people for his decision to live in the UK, where his daughter is attending university and where he owns several properties, as well as the Manchester City football club.

"If I am fortunate enough, I will return and die on Thai soil, just like other Thais," he said.

Observers have said that the former prime minister may attempt to claim political asylum in the UK, but there was no reference to this in the statement.

Thailand's Supreme Court reacted swiftly.

"The court sees that the defendants have broken their bail terms. Therefore, it issues an arrest warrant and orders their bail bonds to be seized," a statement said.

The court had agreed to try several cases against Thaksin Shinawatra for allegedly abusing his power during his five years in office.

Last month, the former prime minister's wife was jailed for tax fraud - a verdict that must have come as a shock to Mr Thaksin, analysts say.

The businessman was the first Thai prime minister to serve a full term in office.

But he was ousted in a military coup in 2006, banned from politics for five years and his Thai Rak Thai party outlawed.

He returned from exile in the UK in March after his political allies in the People's Power Party (PPP) set up a coalition government.

But since then the PPP-led coalition has faced repeated challenges and its leader, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, has faced numerous calls to step down.

Source bbc

Edited by englishoak

Yes, a very Thai solution to an irritating problem.

But let's not rule out a future rewrite of the constitution and/or rejig of the judiciary leading to a re-examination of the case(s) with new evidence pointing to a vendetta against him. Any verdicts will then be overturned and he will be a free man able to return, the veritable prodigal son, to reclaim all his assets plus interest of course.

Never say never particularly when considering Thai politics.

Exactly - he may be waiting for the inevitable watershed that will be coming in Thailand and whatever changes that will bring about.

Chinese are well known for their "Long term orientation" - the family money is looked at in generations not years

An Australian Perspective;

from here

Thai court issues arrest warrant for Thaksin, wife

By South East Asia correspondent Karen Percy

Thailand's Supreme Court has issued arrest warrants for the country's former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, after the pair failed to attend a court session this morning.

The couple is in breach of bail conditions and the court has seized about $500,000 which is on top of the $1.7 billion in assets that have been frozen.

The couple was due to return to court this morning but did not turn up. They had been attending the Olympics in Beijing on the weekend, but instead of returning to Thailand, they flew to London.

The court is hearing a number of corruption cases against Thaksin who was in office from 2001 until 2006, when he was ousted in a military coup.

His wife, Pojaman Shinawatra was convicted of tax evasion charges last month.

It is not clear if the Thai authorities will seek the couple's extradition from England.

For crying out loud people, *of course* the UK will grant political asylum. Whatever else he may or may not have done, the man was a democratically elected prime minister ousted by military coup whose family is being dragged through the courts on complicated finance-related charges.

If that doesn't qualify you for political asylum, exactly what is the point of the institution?

I asked this exact question when he first went to the UK of two friends who are Brit diplomats - my best pal is a Deputy Ambassador - it was their view (personal opinion) was that the UK would not extradite Thaksin back to the military govt.

Now with the wife convicted and a supposed democratic govt would that change?

I asked this exact question when he first went to the UK of two friends who are Brit diplomats - my best pal is a Deputy Ambassador - it was their view (personal opinion) was that the UK would not extradite Thaksin back to the military govt.

A Home Office spokesman said any moves to extradite a non-British citizen from the country would depend on the nature of the charges and the status of the foreign court.

Britain would normally extradite to Thailand, he added - unless the person concerned was in the process of seeking asylum.

The spokesman refused to say whether the City owner or his family had already taken that option.

My own view is that the deal was done at both ends before they buggered off - Thailand and the UK - time will tell.

Nowt changes much in Thailand :o

For crying out loud people, *of course* the UK will grant political asylum. Whatever else he may or may not have done, the man was a democratically elected prime minister ousted by military coup whose family is being dragged through the courts on complicated finance-related charges.

If that doesn't qualify you for political asylum, exactly what is the point of the institution?

That was when there was a military government, there has since been an election and a new constitution.

Then Takky returned of his own free will to face the music, hoping his mates would be in control of the mute button. The first movement has just come to the crescendo and Takky has decided he does not like the tune being played and left early before the end of the first movement let alone the final curtain.

I think this is different circumstances. There may be a different outcome, then again there may not.

I don't think any claim of Political Asylum would stand in the face of an extradition request from the Thai government. Had he made such a claim immediately after the coup, perhaps.

But to make such a claim now when it is obvious he is fleeing criminal charges ? When the country is being run by a democratically elected government that he (supposedly) had some level of control of from the shadows ?

He isn't being persecuted for his politics, but for (alleged) crimes he comitted while in office. I don't think being a former head-of-state automatically qualifies you for political asylum, nor do I think he could back date such a claim to the time he was originally deposed.

I would hope the British authorities see this for what it really is. A criminal fleeing charges from his home country. Lets hope that just because he owns a British football club, he isn't granted any special favours.

Now that arrest warrants have been issued, shouldn't InterPol be looking to arrest Mr T ? After all there doesn't seem to be a problem with them arresting (with local help) Euro criminals found in Thailand.

Once arrested and in jail (preferably without bail as he is a proven flight risk), then Mr T's lawyers could fight extradition.

Kriangkrai Juengjaturapit, Chief Judge of the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions, said if the couple fail to turn up today their lawyers must offer an explanation to the court. "If there are no reasons given, or the reasons are not good enough, the court will consider that they have the intention of fleeing and they will face arrest warrants," Mr Kriangkrai said. The court would then continue the trial of the couple in absentia until a verdict is given, he said. If the couple fail to appear on the day the verdict is given, the reading of the verdict will be adjourned for 30 days. After that, if the two still do not show up, the court will read out the verdict in their absence, Mr Kriangkrai said. "Until now, there have been no reports that Thaksin and Potjaman will report to the court, or that they will lodge a request to go overseas,'' Mr Kriangkrai said. Thaksin's lawyer, Kamnuan Chalopathum, said he was not aware of the cancellation of their return flight to Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/110808_News/11Aug2008_news03.php

The thirty day period of grace for the verdict reading, which will remain sealed until then, allows room for negotiations if anyone wants to go that route.

I also rememeber the son of Chalerm going into self imposed exile as he was deemed certain to go down. He later when anger had died down returned quietly, got off and is now effectively completely rehabilitated. I wouldnt count anyone out for ever in Thailand and especially someone as powerful as Thaksin.

Cant the Thai courts order his extradition ? I'm not all that well up in Thai law...

Extradition requests

Under part 2 of the 2003 Act, requests to the United Kingdom should be made to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State then issues a certificate and sends the papers to the court. The court then issues a warrant for the requested person’s arrest.

The documentation can only be certified if the requirements of section 70 of the 2003 Act are met. In cases where the requested person has been convicted, the documentation must also include a statement that the person is 'unlawfully at large', ie has been convicted and is liable to immediate arrest and detention.

Requesting states are advised to submit a draft request to the Crown Prosecution Service (new window) to ensure potential difficulties are resolved before the request is finally submitted.

Documentation required

Generally the information required to accompany the request will include:

1. particulars of the person whose return is requested;

2. particulars of the offence of which he is accused or was convicted;

3. in the case of a person accused of an offence, a warrant or a duly authenticated copy of a warrant for his arrest issued in the requesting state, or for a provisional arrest, details of such a warrant;

4. in the case of a person unlawfully at large after conviction of an offence, a certificate or a duly authenticated copy of a certificate of the conviction and the sentence, or for provisional arrest, details of the conviction;

5. evidence or information that would justify the issue of a warrant for arrest in the UK, within the jurisdiction of a judge of the court that would hold the extradition hearing.

Evidence required

Some countries are not required to provide prima facie evidence in support of their request for extradition. These countries are (as of 1 January 2007):

Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Croatia, Georgia, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Macedonia FYR, Moldova, Montenegro, New Zealand, Norway, Russian Federation, Serbia, South Africa, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the United States of America.

Preliminary hearing

After the person has been arrested, he is brought before the court as soon as is practicable and the judge sets a date for the extradition hearing.

Extradition hearing

The judge must satisfy himself that the request meets the requirements of the 2003 Act, including dual criminality and where appropriate, prima facie evidence of guilt; and that none of the bars to extradition apply (the rule against double jeopardy; extraneous considerations; passage of time or hostage-taking considerations).

Finally, he is required to decide whether the person’s extradition would be compatible with the convention rights within the meaning of the Human Rights Act 1998.

If he decides all of these questions in the affirmative, he must send the case to the Secretary of State for the latter’s decision whether the person is to be extradited. Otherwise, he must discharge the person.

Secretary of State

Where a case is sent to him, the Secretary of State must consider whether surrender is prohibited because:

1. The person could face the death penalty: This is an absolute prohibition unless the Secretary of State receives an adequate written assurance from the requesting state that the death penalty will not be imposed, or will not be carried out, if imposed;

2. There are no speciality arrangements with the requesting country: The condition of “speciality” requires that the person must be dealt with in the requesting state only for the offences in respect of which the person is extradited (except in certain limited circumstances);

3. The person was earlier extradited to the UK: this might require the Secretary of State to obtain the consent of the earlier extraditing country, before the person can be extradited on to the requesting state.

With effect from 15 January 2007, the defence has to make any representations within four weeks of the case being sent to the Secretary of State (28 days, including the day the case was sent). The Secretary of State has to make his own decision within eight weeks of the day the case is sent to him, otherwise the person may apply to be discharged. This equalises the time within which representations must be made to the Secretary of State with the time in which the Secretary of State has to consider those representations. (Previously, the defence had 6 weeks to submit representations.)

However, if the representations are complex and require enquiries being made of the requesting state, the Secretary of State may apply to the High Court for an extension of the decision date, of any length but usually of no more than two months – it is a matter for the court as to whether and for how long this is granted, although it has not to date refused any such application. More than one extension may be sought in any one case; and granted if it appears necessary.

If the Secretary of State does find that surrender is prohibited, he must order the discharge of the person. If none of the three prohibitions apply, or appropriate assurances have been given, the Secretary of State must order the person to be extradited.

Appeals

High Court

A requested person may appeal within 14 days to the High Court if:

1. the district judge sends the case to the Secretary of State;

2. the Secretary of State orders his extradition.

A requesting state may appeal within 14 days to the High Court against the discharge of the requested person by:

1. the judge at the extradition hearing;

2. the Secretary of State (after the case has been sent to him by the District Judge).

House of Lords

A decision of the High Court in an extradition case may be appealed against in the House of Lords by either a requested person (or if a person is discharged by the High Court, by a requesting state) provided that leave to appeal has been granted.

An appeal to the House of Lords can only be made on a point of law of general public importance and where it is agreed by the High Court that the point is one which should be considered by the House of Lords. Section 114 of the 2003 Act sets out the details and time limits for such an appeal.

Surrender

Unless there is an appeal the person whose extradition has been ordered should be extradited within 28 days of the Secretary of State making his decision. Where there is an appeals process, the 28 days will begin once all the legal remedies have been exhausted.

If there are exceptional circumstances, this time limit can be extended, although if the person applies to the District judge for discharge, reasonable cause must be shown for the delay.

Home Office

It wouldn't surprise me if Thailand doesn't even bother to request extradition. It seems that Potjaman's extradition would be pretty straightforward though.

Exactly, and Thaksin has yet to be charged with any wrongdoing by any "legal" institution not co-opted by the military junta and their right-wing ultra-nationalist PAD. Alas, the soap opera continues with only small slivers of the story being public knowledge.

I don't buy either of these lines of thought. Sorry ain't happening.

He was HEAVY handedly muzzling all critique before.

Few if anyone DARED openly talk against him, billion baht suits flowed like wine,

let alone successfully file court suits first off the line. He proved his power

pulling of the original court case about hidden assets after election one.

He had co-opted much if not all of the checks and balances.

My hat goes of to Jaruvan Mantika, a woman and one of SO FEW PEOPLE

who dared fight the trend of silence thaksin enforced.

The junta, odd as it is to say, replaced checks and balances in the end.

EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of elected Thaksin's game plan and functioning.

The NCCC was around in his time. The ASC was put in by the junta,

but was found legitimate by the CURRENT court system.

And has retired the field.

It passed it's cases to the NCCC which has ALSO been found legal.

Both were going after more than just Thaksin personally.

He may whine it was just him, but not so, and by a wide margin.

Sorry but the institutions have been found legal.

And the process since the election HAS been in court and by the numbers.

A more powerful presence said;

Judges, it's time to do your job fearlessly.

They have been.

Certain people can inspire a backbone in a jellyfish...

Regardless of the entity that did the digging, currently alive or dead.

THE COURTS now have the playing field. So are you saying these courts

in a democratically elected constitutional monarchy are controlled by the junta...

What junta...they are retired and rather silently at that.

I thought these courts were mostly all in place there BEFORE the junta,

and even before Thaksin was elected round one in most cases.

Bottom line; he got out because Rachadapisch would have been his Waterloo.

he's flown to Elba, and back for one more battle, lost spectacularly,

and off to Elba again.

He HAD to know his wife was pending all that money, and on what.

He HAD to give his OK legally on paper,

He KNEW as Prime minister, he is in charge of ALL ministeries

including Ministery of Finance that auctions of tax repossesed landplots.

No matter how you parse the wording, he could sack the boss

of the entity that gave his wife the land sales contract.

He had the attorneys to explain it to him on retainer,

not to mention being the Attorney General's boss..

If a fahrang like myself, knows that the law says

'No MP or PM or spouce or close family member

can do business dealings with government contracts;

Thaksin sure as hel_l knew that too.

They had the ultimate power disease UNBRIDLED HUBRIS,

And they did the deal because they THOUGHT that they

had all the power buttons collected and could ignore/laugh at the law.

They have him dead to rights, he knows that,

and knew he had lost the power to stop it when

the Mrs. went down in flames.

Pastry Gate was the hor douvre.

Madam with Brother in law and the Maid and entree

And Olympic spritz at the finger bowl...

and Racha. would have been main course one

of a tasting meal of epic proportions.

Bromo in Barkley Square please!

He has no legal claim to asylum as it is properly used.

The Brits ain't that dumb and he ain't got THAT much money.

This is more political claptrap and posturing for the Issan peasnatry

and it's paymasters and puppeteers, and to assuage his shaken not stirred ego,

also gone down in flames.

in 45 days or so he will be convicted inabstenetia for Racha.

and there goes Man. City. soon there after.

You KNOW someone will officially send word to UK

asking for his extradition and then word of his conviction.

And an exrtra extradition order.

That on British soil constitutes unfit to own a FC.

I don't feel sorry for him at all.

He has, so far, golden parachute on the backs of

millions of Thai peasants and their children.

Yet more confirmation that England are well informed on the Thaksin scenario and more to the point, the U.K. government will be well aware of what has landed on our doorstep, seeking refuge.

The Independent, 4 hours ago. Home > News > World > Asia

Ref url :- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...ain-890303.html

Deposed Thai PM flees to Britain amid court case

By Sutin Wannabovorn, AP

Monday, 11 August 2008

PORNCHAI KITTIWONGSAKUL/AFP/Getty Images

Thailand's deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman outside a court in Bangkok last month

Deposed Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family have fled to the United Kingdom, the former leader said today after he and his wife skipped a hearing on corruption charges in a Thai court.

A handwritten statement from Thaksin said he fled because he could not expect justice in Thai courts. It came amid newspaper reports that he would seek asylum in Britain.

"My wife and I have traveled to reside in England," Thaksin said in the statement. "If I still have luck, I would come back and die on Thai soil like every other Thai person."

Thaksin's statement, which did not mention asking for asylum, was read Monday afternoon on state-run television.

Thaksin, who was deposed in a 2006 military coup, faces a slew of court cases as well as investigations probing alleged corruption and abuse of power during his five years in office. In his statement, he again said he was innocent of all accusations against him.

"What happened to my family and me is like fruit from a poisonous tree — the fruit will also be poisoned," the statement said. "There is a continuation of dictatorship in managing Thai politics ... which is followed by interference in the justice system."

Thailand's stock market rose 3.2 percent amid hopes that Thaksin's removal would defuse political tension between his supporters and opponents.

Analysts, however, warned that his decision to reside in Britain did not mean the end of his influence.

"He is certainly going to use his foreign base to influence Thailand's domestic politics. It is going to be a very long story, and this is certainly not the end," said Charnvit Kasetsiri, a political scientist at Bangkok's Thammasat University.

Also, the key anti-Thaksin group, the People's Alliance for Democracy, said it would continue its street protests until the government of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej was removed from office. The PAD regards Samak as a proxy for Thaksin.

"(Thaksin) still has influence over this government and is pulling the strings," said Piphop Thongchai, a key PAD leader.

Thaksin and his wife Pojaman failed to appear Monday morning before the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions in a case involving an allegedly unlawful purchase of real estate.

The couple left Thailand last week after the court gave them permission to attend the Olympic Games in Beijing but ordered them to report Monday. News reports in Bangkok said Thaksin and Pojaman flew from China to England, where the former leader owns several properties and the Manchester City football club.

Thaksin lived in exile in Britain after his downfall. He returned to Thailand earlier this year to face corruption charges against him after his political allies won new elections and formed a coalition government.

"I thought I would be able to prove my innocence and receive justice, which is why I returned to Thailand on February 28. But the situation has deteriorated," Thaksin said.

He also said there had been threats against his life.

"I have also constantly received news that my life is not safe. Wherever I travel, I have to use bulletproof cars. This is the result I got from volunteering to serve the country, the king and the people," he said.

In Monday's court case, the couple had been charged with abuse of authority and corruption in Pojaman's 2003 purchase of a valuable plot of land in Bangkok from a state agency. The Supreme Court earlier said it would deliver a verdict Sept. 16.

In accordance with Thai legal procedure, the court normally grants defendants who skip a hearing a grace period of up to two weeks before issuing an arrest warrant.

Three political heavyweights have in recent times fled cases before the Supreme Court division dealing with Thaksin's case. They include a former minister of public health, the mayor of the resort city of Pattaya and a former deputy minister of the interior. One of the three was later arrested and jailed while the others, police say, are in hiding in Cambodia.

If this occurs in the Thaksin case, the former leader would the be declared a fugitive from justice which would probably have a bearing on his status in Britain as well as his ownership of Manchester City.

Thaksin is embroiled in three other court cases as well as a slew of investigations that may lead to trials. He has maintained his innocence against all allegations.

Thaksin was widely regarded as an authoritarian figure who eroded Thailand's still-fragile democratic institutions. Mass street protests led to his downfall.

But he was popular with the country's rural masses and urban poor with his populist policies.

Unquote

News of this magnitude travels fast, and in this case is well reported for a change, with no low key whispers, as has happened previously.

Now that arrest warrants have been issued, shouldn't InterPol be looking to arrest Mr T ? After all there doesn't seem to be a problem with them arresting (with local help) Euro criminals found in Thailand.

Once arrested and in jail (preferably without bail as he is a proven flight risk), then Mr T's lawyers could fight extradition.

I assure you he's been under surveillance for money laundering by Interpol for quite a while now, the UK is his last stop.