Thaksin and Wife Fail to Board Return Flight

marshbags

Can Thailand issue a extradion notice, they just did when they issued the warrants of arrest. However it is not that simple, they have a right to extradition hearing in the UK. If they are arrested and that is a big IF, they will refuse extradition, then the Brittish courts will determine if there are grounds not to extradite them. Just like anyone else.

There is a possibilty that he may have just made a huge mistake. He might have been much better off heading to a country that didn't have a extradition treaty with Thailand. Personally he doesn't strike me as that stupid, something may have prearranged.

If you think he does not have influence in thailand even when he is not here, you are probably mistaken. this is just another step in the journey, not over by a long shot

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the Uk should give him a long stay visa and make him report every 90 days and renew his visa every years from outside the UK!

I think it all been allowed to happen this way by the Thai Govt - much easier than having him there in some prison cell. The could have confiscated his passport, they could have put him under house arrest (it would be unlikely to put a former PM in prison whilst awaiting trial) - they did neither. He was allowed to get on a plane with his Mrs - who was already convicted. I think they will use his 'escape' to destroy his image further with those who still follow/worship him. Best of all worlds fot them I guess. I wonder if this now allows them to 'return' the $2bn to the state coffers - or moves them a step closer at least.

There is an extradition treaty between Siam (Thailand) and the UK, so it should be pretty easy for the Thai Govt to get them back if they want to - no real reason for te UK to deny it (they will not face a death penalty and its a democratic Govt and process) and he's not even that rich anymore. If he has dual nationality, I believe his primary nationality takes presidence

Ousted PM and wife fail to board flight to Bangkok - THE NATION -

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife; Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra did not board a Thai International Airway flight from Beijing to return to Bangkok as earlier scheduled.

A THAI official said that the couple did not show up to board TG 615 flight which left Bejing at 5.35pm. The flight is scheduled to arrive at Suvarnabhumi Airport at 9.45pm.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No real surprises here. The Nation all last week was predicting such a scenario.

And if you were Thaksin - and a three year prison sentence had been passed down on your wife - with little hope of the appeal succeeding - what would you do?

No criticsm re your post, B.M., just an observation to expand on the failure to return.

( Assuming they have not managed to return secretly so as not to get the much adored phoney public idolasion they love. :D:o )

His wife is the only one already convicted and sentenced to 3 years in jail.

It is presently on appeal and obviously the guilty verdict ( which is based on evidence ) and the probable failure of it being successful is the reason she has gone AWOL as you mention.

On the hand Thaksin at present has not been sentenced one way or the other in relation to his crimes, which, is, for anyone who thinks it is a vendetta and purely politica, is based on overwhelming evidence put before the court.

Why then does he have to leave the country when he is due only on a preliminary hearing, have to do like wise and go with her.

( Her adult children are already rumoured to have gone to the U.K. to meet her and keep her company )

Surely he should stay and abide by the courts requests to appear and incidently, of which he promised to abide by and return for the Monday morning appearance.

He is obligated to attend and has no excuse what so ever in not returning himself.

His wife on the other hand has gone on the run as many high profile criminals do around the globe, simple as that.

The U.K. should now refuse her entry in exile based simply on the fact that she is just a low life criminal on the run to escape justice / serve her sentence as was passed in accordance to Thai law, that of late has become a respected institution based on the willingness to deal with these individuals and at long last make them accountable for their henious crimes on Thai society.

There is no excuse what so ever for this and first and foremost the bail deposit must be forfeited in total and additional penalties added to the existing ones.

marshbags :D

P.S.

You are spot on B.M. and yes, it is the best thing for the countries rehabilitation and retaking of the groun these unscrupolous criminals have stolen over many unchallenged years

marshbags - some good points - but Thaksin isn't stupid - he saw the writing on the wall when his wife was convicted - and at that moment he realised there was worse - much worse in store for him - his wife - and possibly his children in the future -

Let's not forget that Thaksin has been - basically -responsible for the deaths of thousands of ordinary - decent Thais - and also for the wholesale transfer of much of his financial empire to a regional competitor - Singapore - without any regard whatsoever - concerning the sovereign integrity and security of Thailand and its people - i.e. the sale of Shin to the Singaporeans -

His wider - now thwarted - agenda and aspirations also went much further and were much more sinister. The establishment of Thailand as a republic.

I'm sure Samak is quietly chuckling away to himself. I don't like the man but credit where it's due. I would say he's proved himself a tad cannier than his supposed master.

Samak chuckling?

For all we know he may also be working on an escape plan as he`s due in court soon as well. :o

A handwritten statement from Thaksin said he fled because he could not expect justice in Thai courts.

Does Thaksin means that he could not expect the same justice in Thai courts as the 2000+ people who were murdered under his orders?

Does Thaksin means that he could not expect the same justice in Thai courts as the 200+ young muslims who were slaughtered under his orders?

What a bloody laughing stock this crook is.

British people, you've got yourself a fine crook as an English citizen.

But that ain;t surprising anybody.

Wait till he starts to sell VIP cards with a Visa for 5 year to the Brits.

He should be hung out to dry just based on his own words alone:

28 Feb 08

Thaksin Detained on Return to Thailand

Before boarding the plane in Hong Kong, Thaksin told reporters, "I believe in the Thai justice system, especially the court system. Normally in justice systems everywhere, a person is innocent until proved guilty.''

11 Aug 08

A handwritten statement from Thaksin said he fled because he could not expect justice in Thai courts. It came amid newspaper reports that he would seek asylum in Britain.

So, when "his" party wins the election and he's reasonably sure he can buck the system, he believes in Thai justice. But when things don't go his way, suddenly he can't expect justice in that same system.

The word hypocrite comes to mind. :o

Samak has never believed in this republic accusations but I bet he is mightily pissed with Thaksin right now. He's got nothing to fear personally, for a moment, but if they get him for being Thaksin's accomplice, he's got nowhere to run.

His last appeal is a matter of grace on the part of the court, after that it's only a Royal pardon, and ha ha - here goes his coveted Privy Councilor position.

All that for trying to defend Thaksin agaisnt Prem.

You gotta give it to the guy! I mean check him out!! He creamed money from the system in many ways untill he was forced out of power by his own army. He then just about escapes to England with people wanting him dead here saying he will never be able to come back and then knowing that all Thai people love football so much he buys Manchester city football team with his stolen money in the UK to gain some respect. He is then allowed back to Thailand and arrives back like a super star with his football team. He then goes to court for his crimes, skips bail and flees to England again with his wife who has already been given 3 years jail. Hes top bloke int he, I dont understand how the UK are letting him get away with murder he is super currupt!! Fair play wish I could do it!

Can Thailand issue a extradion notice, they just did when they issued the warrants of arrest. However it is not that simple, they have a right to extradition hearing in the UK. If they are arrested and that is a big IF, they will refuse extradition, then the Brittish courts will determine if there are grounds not to extradite them. Just like anyone else.

There is a possibilty that he may have just made a huge mistake. He might have been much better off heading to a country that didn't have a extradition treaty with Thailand. Personally he doesn't strike me as that stupid, something may have prearranged.

If you think he does not have influence in Thailand even when he is not here, you are probably mistaken. this is just another step in the journey, not over by a long shot

My view as expressed above is that arrangements are in place - at both ends.

I also do not think this is over by a long shot too.

Thai bigwigs and politicians have a long history of going into exile and returning - both the good guy's and the bad guy's.

Pridi, Puey Ungpakornm, Kittikachorn and the student leaders of 73 to name a few.

Samak also played a part in the return of the evil Kittikachorn as well remember by going to Singapore as the emidssary of a certain senior person.

<h1 class="firstHeading">

</h1>

You gotta give it to the guy! I mean check him out!! He creamed money from the system in many ways untill he was forced out of power by his own army. He then just about escapes to England with people wanting him dead here saying he will never be able to come back and then knowing that all Thai people love football so much he buys Manchester city football team with his stolen money in the UK to gain some respect. He is then allowed back to Thailand and arrives back like a super star with his football team. He then goes to court for his crimes, skips bail and flees to England again with his wife who has already been given 3 years jail. Hes top bloke int he, I dont understand how the UK are letting him get away with murder he is super currupt!! Fair play wish I could do it!

Because the UK doesn't care about corrupt politicians (ministers - or premier league football club owners) and where their ill-gotten gains came from - 'money IS money' in their thinking -

And I noticed today that one of the reasons he was seeking political asylum was because he feared for his life in Thailand - more lies - he would say that wouldn't he -

Edited by bulmercke

To winkle Thaksin and his family out of the UK the Thais would have to apply for extradition. Whether the Thai government will want to do this is another matter.

I am certain that Thaksin's lawyers are already initiating contact with the legal team of Rakesh Saxena on how to use Commonwealth law's to delay any attempts at extradition for decades. Although with his considerable wealth now in British banks and the intelligence bonanza for British intelligence having Thaksin on British soil during the upcoming transitional years, I doubt there will be any British sympathies towards extradition of any Shinawat family member.

Thailand to Seek Former Premier Thaksin's Extradition From U.K.

Aug. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Thailand will seek former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's extradition from London after the billionaire owner of Manchester City football club skipped bail and failed to appear before a court to face corruption charges.

Thaksin said in a statement from London that his political enemies were trying "to get rid of me" and maintained his innocence. Deputy Premier Somchai Wongsawat, his brother-in-law, said the law must be followed after the Supreme Court issued arrest warrants for Thaksin and his wife and seized their 13 million baht bond.

Thaksin had pledged to clear his name when he returned from exile in February after his allies won elections restoring democracy. His wife Pojamarn was sentenced to three years in prison for tax evasion 11 days ago, the first conviction in at least four cases pending against their family. They failed to appear at a hearing today on charges that he abused his power to help her buy a prime piece of Bangkok land.

"So much about the past year was about Thaksin's attempts to get himself off the hook," said Chris Baker, a Bangkok-based historian who wrote "A History of Thailand" with Pasuk Phongpaichit. "I suspect he's hit a dead end where he realizes that it's not worth the gamble."

The couple's departure may cool political tension sparked by anti-Thaksin street protesters, who say current Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is his proxy.

"I believe in my own innocence in the case and I'm ready to fight the land case under the justice system," Thaksin said June 26, the day three members of his legal team were sentenced to six months in jail for giving 2 million baht to a court clerk.

I'd still say a big som nam nar is in order for the Thaksin "haters."

They are still free (and comfortable) and most of ya'll will still have to line up at Suan Phlu or wherever once a year (or more).

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the golden rule applies everywhere.

:o

Thaksin may apply for political asylum and he may well have a reasonable chance of showing he has a well-founded fear of persecution based on either his political beliefs or as a specifically targetted group (former TRT member). Should he be granted asylum, that status extends to his immediate family members as well, thus his wife--whether she has been convicted of a crime or not, may well not be returned.

I am sure there are some folks with some expertise in this area on the forum that can answer how this situation may be dealt with.

Even if they aren't granted asylum, they may decide that returning them is simply too risky at this time.

My additional 2 cents worth (now 4 cents) , reading between the lines

- Low Bail amount

- Allowed to Travel

To me its clear the signal is "PLS LEAVE HINT HINT AND DON'T COME BACK".

Just imagine PAD supporters, and angered ( if jailed ) Thaksin supporters at each others necks, would make for extremely turbulent and bloody times says me ! Its very normal for out of favour leaders to go into exile this way.

but he helped a lot of poor Thais also

And also murdered alot of poor Thais. Oh well ...

were there not drug dealers ? hope i am not out of line here mods.

I think the word alleged is important here. Put your brain in gear before posting.

As for him being in the UK, it's another sad day for the nation when they allow these sort of people entry.

You gotta give it to the guy! I mean check him out!! He creamed money from the system in many ways untill he was forced out of power by his own army. He then just about escapes to England with people wanting him dead here saying he will never be able to come back and then knowing that all Thai people love football so much he buys Manchester city football team with his stolen money in the UK to gain some respect. He is then allowed back to Thailand and arrives back like a super star with his football team. He then goes to court for his crimes, you forgot is afraid of an assassination attempt but is relaxed enough to go to China and watch the games instead of immediately seeking asylum to the UK and heading to safety first :o skips bail and flees to England again with his wife who has already been given 3 years jail. Hes top bloke int he, I dont understand how the UK are letting him get away with murder he is super currupt!! Fair play wish I could do it!
To winkle Thaksin and his family out of the UK the Thais would have to apply for extradition. Whether the Thai government will want to do this is another matter.

I am certain that Thaksin's lawyers are already initiating contact with the legal team of Rakesh Saxena on how to use Commonwealth law's to delay any attempts at extradition for decades. Although with his considerable wealth now in British banks and the intelligence bonanza for British intelligence having Thaksin on British soil during the upcoming transitional years, I doubt there will be any British sympathies towards extradition of any Shinawat family member.

If he ever decides to set foot in Canada, he and you just may get to see the real Tony Clifton at the welcoming ceremony when Coward the Great lands at the airport.

Edited by Tony Clifton

My additional 2 cents worth (now 4 cents) , reading between the lines

- Low Bail amount

- Allowed to Travel

To me its clear the signal is "PLS LEAVE HINT HINT AND DON'T COME BACK".

Just imagine PAD supporters, and angered ( if jailed ) Thaksin supporters at each others necks, would make for extremely turbulent and bloody times says me ! Its very normal for out of favour leaders to go into exile this way.

Did he take his police protection officers with him ???

BT

I'm still trying to find a copy of the original fax Thaksin sent to NBT. It was shown briefly on CNN so it must be available somewhere online......but where???

opalhort

Well NBT must have the original somewhere - date stamped - and it's worth a fortune -

The original has probably now disappeared into the hands of one of NBTs executives - a future family heirloom -

They are still free (and comfortable) and most of ya'll will still have to line up at Suan Phlu or wherever once a year (or more).

:D

But that doesn't make it right.

:D

But that doesn't make it right.

That's right. The judiciary must have realised what the consequences of their judgement on Mrs Thaksin would mean.

The road is long and now it sings: 'what you do - you must pay for'.

Yes - Suan Phlu is still a menacing reality for a lot of foreigners resident here - but at least a modicum of justice appears to have been served in the matter of Thaksin and his spouse in the last week or so -

As Mr T well knows the UK does not have very good relations with Thailand, extradition will be very hard to get from the UK Gov. I am very sure he has chosen the UK for this very reason

He has been here pretty much since his original exile and has spent his time making contacts with the elite and has done his homework on possible legal extradition senarios.You can bet just like all the other corrupt ex leaders etc we have/had he will be welcome.

Greasing the right palms in the UK works just as well as it does in Thailand if you are rich enough. :o

1-1.gif

MFA says UK will determine whether Thaksin eligible for political asylum

The Spokesman to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Tharit Charungwat said that it is the responsibility of the asylum nation to determine whether or not former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and Potjaman Shinawatra would receive political asylum.

Mr. Tharit said that various evidence would have to considered as part of the asylum seeker's appeal. Thaksin has resided in the United Kingdom for a considerable time, and the British Ministry of Interior is the agency responsible for determining whether he is eligible for political asylum.

Mr. Tharit said that the Thai Foreign Ministry would take no action until asked by the Criminal Court or the Attorney General.

The Spokesman to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs affirms that Thailand and the United Kingdom honor an extradition treaty, and requests for the extradition of Thaksin is possible through diplomatic channels.

Mr. Tharit added that the Criminal Court has the authority to revoke Thaksin's diplomatic passport.

- ThaiNews

Edited by sriracha john

As Mr T well knows the UK does not have very good relations with Thailand, extradition will be very hard to get from the UK Gov. I am very sure he has chosen the UK for this very reason

He has been here pretty much since his original exile and has spent his time making contacts with the elite and has done his homework on possible legal extradition senarios.You can bet just like all the other corrupt ex leaders etc we have/had he will be welcome.

Greasing the right palms in the UK works just as well as it does in Thailand if you are rich enough. :o

Yep, and considering that the ruling party is broke and desperate for funds, even more convenient. :D

Is the original handwritten fax Thaksin sent to NBT TV available online somewhere?

opalhort

I'm still trying to find a copy of the original fax Thaksin sent to NBT. It was shown briefly on CNN so it must be available somewhere online......but where???

opalhort

I've always respected your determination and thusly it is rewarded....

222.gif

a bigger blow-up of it...

http://www.naewna.com/news.asp?ID=117669

Edited by sriracha john

Wife says PAD showed tonight that the fax was sent from, well well... Newin's favorite hotel in Bangkok. :o

They couldn't even be clowns if they wanted to.

To name names, dates, and even the fax number, here's the line from the fax's information slip:

PULLMAN BANGKOK KING POWER FAX NO : 02 6809998 AUG 11 2008

and their hotel website:

"Pullman Bangkok King Power, the city's latest upscale hotel"

http://www.pullmanbangkokkingpower.com/