How Good Is It

poshthai

Existing broadband varies widely over the Pattaya-Naklua-Jomtien metroplex and one users experience in Soi Bongkot may differ from a user with the same subscription off Theprasit. Maybe give a hint where your location is and ask what the existing general data rates are in your 'hood. If they are typically crap at lower 'pressures', having a 'bigger pipe' isn't going to make your experience any better and probably more frustrating if it means more coin.

Existing broadband varies widely over the Pattaya-Naklua-Jomtien metroplex and one users experience in Soi Bongkot may differ from a user with the same subscription off Theprasit. Maybe give a hint where your location is and ask what the existing general data rates are in your 'hood. If they are typically crap at lower 'pressures', having a 'bigger pipe' isn't going to make your experience any better and probably more frustrating if it means more coin.

wow thats a bleeding mouthful lol.Having a bigger pipe,

i dont smoke mate

wow thats a bleeding mouthful lol.Having a bigger pipe,

i dont smoke mate

Laymans terms. If they are over your head, I am sorry.

No matter how fast the package is supposed to be that you're buying, the international connection is a bottleneck, so not much to gain by increasing the speed of the package, unless you mainly access Thai servers.

Edited by OlRedEyes

No matter how fast the package is supposed to be that you're buying, the international connection is a bottleneck, so not much to gain by increasing the speed of the package, unless you mainly access Thai servers.

really?

these results are from an international speedtest site from Bangkok to Denver.......

Last Result:

Download Speed: 2520 kbps (315 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 780 kbps (97.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I have TT&T Maxnet 4MB.

It is very, very fast with Thai websites, and international websites are also quite fast at loading. I just can't log into Paypal on my Maxnet, I have to switch over to Loxinfo when I want to log into Paypal.

Before they brought out the 4MB package, I was paying the same price for 2MB and it sometimes used to fall so I'd have to switch over to my Loxinfo. I haven't had any problems with it for a couple of months now, and would cancel my Loxinfo if I wasn't having problems getting into Paypal.

I've just done a couple of speed tests.

Maxnet speed test reads 3578.8 KBPS. This morning it read 4,200+

Speedtest.net, testing the speed to a US server comes in at Download speed - 3,324 Kbps, upload 356 Kbps. It seems a little slower than normal today, so usual speed IS around 4mb

BTW, I live down Soi Arunothai, Pattaya Klang.

^ And how irrelevant is THAT!!!!????

it was addressed to the guy that says its theres an international bottleneck in thailand

this proves there isn't

so whats your beef?

No beef. Just thought the OP was specifically asking about TT&T 4mb from Pattaya to (unknown destinations) and you responded with (unknown service provider) from Bangkok to Denver. I would reckon on another bottleneck or 10 between Pattaya and Bangkok (but up to admitting my head may be up my arse if proved wrong).

Edited by NanLaew

Speedtest.net, testing the speed to a US server comes in at Download speed - 3,324 Kbps, upload 356 Kbps. It seems a little slower than normal today, so usual speed IS around 4mb

Meg, How much /month for Maxnet 4mb then?

(I am in Siberia so can't pop into office).

Thanks!

Thanks!

Hi NanLaew,

I'm looking at the bill now, Its 1,000 baht + 7% tax which comes to 1,070 baht.

You can also see the other packages here: http://www.maxnet.co.th/promotion_inside.php?promtid=58 (scroll down to the chart) I'm using the 'Indy' 4MB package.

They also offer 2048kb for 590 baht and 3072kb for 790 baht.

I used to pay 1,000 for 2MB and it was still very fast.

Good luck! :o

^ And how irrelevant is THAT!!!!????

it was addressed to the guy that says its theres an international bottleneck in thailand

this proves there isn't

so whats your beef?

No beef. Just thought the OP was specifically asking about TT&T 4mb from Pattaya to (unknown destinations) and you responded with (unknown service provider) from Bangkok to Denver. I would reckon on another bottleneck or 10 between Pattaya and Bangkok.

it was tested from Pattaya, a quick look at any of my many previous posts would have told you where i live and the fact that my answer was on the Pattaya forum where i generally mooch around might have given you a clue as to my location and my posts relevance to the OP's question without having to waste my time and fill in all the blanks for you

as to the relevance of the server speed information, all the major ISP in Pattaya are routed to Bangkok so when one measures the speed its really measured from the main servers in Bangkok not direct from Pattaya

however the speed tests do read, take account for and include the ISP speeds from Pattaya to Bangkok via the ISP's proxy servers issued to their customers by the ISP

so the speed test is accurate from Pattaya via Bangkok to Denver and just for the record i have TT & T maxnet premier 3072/1024 at 1990 per month

so you would reckon wrong about any bottlenecks between here and there, just as the poster i originally responded to was wrong about there being any international bottlenecks in Thialand.

if get the right service provider, with the right package & configure the service properly then the broadband service in Thailand is as good as any in the world and better than most.

Thanks!

Hi NanLaew,

I'm looking at the bill now, Its 1,000 baht + 7% tax which comes to 1,070 baht.

You can also see the other packages here: http://www.maxnet.co.th/promotion_inside.php?promtid=58 (scroll down to the chart) I'm using the 'Indy' 4MB package.

They also offer 2048kb for 590 baht and 3072kb for 790 baht.

I used to pay 1,000 for 2MB and it was still very fast.

Good luck! :o

Cheers Meg. That 1070 baht is about what I pay with TT&T at the Udon 'outstation' that I set up about 5 months ago and it is blistering fast. I pay twice as much for a TT&T service in my Pattaya 'palace' that was set up over a year ago and it's a shadow of it's former self and of late has been totally dead overnight. Something to sort out when I return.

it was tested from Pattaya, a quick look at any of my many previous posts would have told you where i live and the fact that my answer was on the Pattaya forum where i generally mooch around might have given you a clue as to my location and my posts relevance to the OP's question without having to waste my time and fill in all the blanks for you

as to the relevance of the server speed information, all the major ISP in Pattaya are routed to Bangkok so when one measures the speed its really measured from the main servers in Bangkok not direct from Pattaya

however the speed tests do read, take account for and include the ISP speeds from Pattaya to Bangkok via the ISP's proxy servers issued to their customers by the ISP

so the speed test is accurate from Pattaya via Bangkok to Denver and just for the record i have TT & T maxnet premier 3072/1024 at 1990 per month

so you would reckon wrong about any bottlenecks between here and there, just as the poster i originally responded to was wrong about there being any international bottlenecks in Thialand.

if get the right service provider, with the right package & configure the service properly then the broadband service in Thailand is as good as any in the world and better than most.

Alright if I waste a bit more of your time?

I accept your explanation of what actually gets tested and how. Sorry, but I am not in the habit of looking up where TV'ers actually stay and you have to admit, there's a lot of non-Pattaya residents carping on the Pattaya forum. It's in their nature. But I digress.

Thanks for detailing your account. That is about what I pay for TT&T service in Soi Potisan and, per an earlier response to Meg, it is much worse than my Udon Maxnet service which is narrower bandwidth and half the price. Taking into account what you have said about what speed tests actually test, is it safe to assume that there is such a thing as localised 'congestion'? Would that explain why people in different parts of the Pattaya (like you and I) have widely varying service quality on 'identical' services? Is it hardware, software or my imagination?

Many thanks!

I accept your explanation of what actually gets tested and how. Sorry, but I am not in the habit of looking up where TV'ers actually stay and you have to admit, there's a lot of non-Pattaya residents carping on the Pattaya forum. It's in their nature. But I digress.

Thanks for detailing your account. That is about what I pay for TT&T service in Soi Potisan and, per an earlier response to Meg, it is much worse than my Udon Maxnet service which is narrower bandwidth and half the price. Taking into account what you have said about what speed tests actually test, is it safe to assume that there is such a thing as localised 'congestion'? Would that explain why people in different parts of the Pattaya (like you and I) have widely varying service quality on 'identical' services? Is it hardware, software or my imagination?

Many thanks!

CAT is my only option here in the jungle area surrounding Wat Suttawat (east end of Nernplubarn). They tell me, and I can confirm, that 'congestion' is definitely a factor. Speeds vary greatly during the day. They are best in the early morning; and worst between about 3 PM and 10 PM. The more users on line, the slower the speed.

Many thanks!

the real problem is how many people are sharing your area feed connection.

as an example the Maxnet Indy package of any subscription size does not ever achieve its offered down/up target.

its the base model of Maxnet services and is vastly oversubscribed.

as such you can suffer from speed reduction due to the sheer quantity of other subscribers.

this speed loss can vary from area to area, the time of day, size of downloads of other subscribers and the number of other subscibers.

if you live on a large farang estate, its likely there will be many users of the Indy service and they are all competing with you for bandwidth on the feed

its better to pay a little more to upgrade to the Premier package which has a maximum of 20 subscribers on your telephone area lines feed

you may get lucky and maybe there will only be 3-5 people on your area line who have took Premier and hence you get very fast speeds and close to those advertised by Maxnet as i do

or you may get unlucky and get another 19 users who are constantly downloading movies music etc

then again their activity will slow your connection down as you are competing for bandwidth

maxnet claim that the normal maxnet premier model has less than 10 subscribers on one feed who access at different times of the day and night and all enjoy relatively high speeds that are close to those advertised.

Indy packages can have 100's of subscibers in your general area on one feed at the same time and their activity will affect the speed of your feed as your allocated bandwidth is reduced

the real key is not the size of the package but how many subscribers are actually on it.

so you reduce the number of users you reduce the competition for bandwidth

you can buy a stand alone, you only maxnet package for about 25,000 baht a month

as its your own, all alone singloe user on the feed, you will then get very close to the advertised speeds without any interference from other users.

the only factors then that would affect speed locally would be the modem, routers, losses in cabling which are normal and fairly minimal.

i hope that helps

^ Spot on assessment, confirming what I was always led to believe and thanks for pointing out the maximum subs/line setups of the various packages. When I get back next week, I will see what can be done about my Soi Potisan drip-feed connection!

I wonder if my client will fork out US$800 a month so I can send virtual flowers to my mum on her birthday?

So, in essence, my post #2 was pretty much on target (apart from analogy of water pressure and pipe diameter being lost on the OP).

as an example the Maxnet Indy package of any subscription size does not ever achieve its offered down/up target.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I pay for 4MB, and my speed check comes back at 3,916.3 KBps on a speed check this morning.. Very, very close to the speed I pay for.

meg,i live very close to you so your 4mb is working quite well.i have the tot 2mb package at the moment and its 1,000 baht a month and was interested in changing as tot do not have 4mb at the moment.

Thanks for answering my question,the first one too.

meg,i live very close to you so your 4mb is working quite well.i have the tot 2mb package at the moment and its 1,000 baht a month and was interested in changing as tot do not have 4mb at the moment.

Thanks for answering my question,the first one too.

No problem, I have heard that TOT is not very good at all.. I'm very happy with my Maxnet.. Good luck! :o

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I pay for 4MB, and my speed check comes back at 3,916.3 KBps on a speed check this morning.. Very, very close to the speed I pay for.

That is because thier are not that many people that subscribe to the four meg service. As said before, it depends on where you live and how many people are online sharing your line the same time you are on the internet.

Barry

Sorry to jump into the bandwagon guys, but I know Pattaya is definitely not Chiang Mai (That's where I am now), however, I would like to know what the eff is going on with Maxnet? I can't play Team Fortress 2 with my mates down in Singapore, I used to be able to by the way, having a great 60ms ping to Starhub, but all of a sudden, it crashed on me! I'm receiving a horrible 400++ ms ping connecting to it, it's unplayable.

I'm using the Maxnet 590 baht package thing, calling them is a pain in the arse, seriously, they're like "We're checking on it,please call us again later." By later they'll go "Please call us again later to check in." It's a bloody deadly cycle of endless phone calls!

And no,I will not tolerate another "International link has a problem."

2MB for 590 baht package my butt.

Edited by Dobb