What's A Good Deal On A Mobile Phone For Use In Thailand?

rockyysdt

Hi.

I was hoping I could get some help on sourcing a reasonable quality Mobile Phone for my Thai GF.

Her existing phone is on the blink with intermittent issues.

Her needs include:

Thai compatible.

Reasonable quality.

Reliable.

Easy to use.

Thai & English menu.

Colour screen.

MP3 player.

Camera - movie & stills mode.

Internet Access.

Accepts memory card.

Bluetooth.

She uses pay as you go recharge cards preferring not to be tied down to a contract.

What phone should she buy and how much?

Where can she buy it at the best price?

I'd like her to avoid market stalls where you can have warranty issues.

The power pack and memory card upgrades failed after a short time causing her much headache and loss of money.

many thanks.

:o

Indeed 15000bht+ ?????? :o

For sure,

Also no deals every shop quote same price,dont know why ?

It seems it's all about status these days.

Isn't there a phone which gives you plenty of street cred but also functions well which is cheaper than the Nokia?

If such a phone does exist, where can I buy it for a keen price?

I have just bought a Nokia 3110 Classic. It was 3800 Baht. I don't know how much 'street cred' it has but it does all the things you asked for and looks pretty good I think.

I'll second this recommendation as it fully satisfies the OP's requirements, and then some. Available at a box shop for 3,500 THB these days, maybe less.

I have just bought a Nokia 3110 Classic. It was 3800 Baht. I don't know how much 'street cred' it has but it does all the things you asked for and looks pretty good I think.

Aren't the keys a little too small on the 3110?

Also would a Thai lady go for it?

I find flip or slide open models have more generous key pads, as they don't compete for real estate with the screen.

You also get greater distance between your head and the battery which can generate substantial heat.

Edited by rockyysdt

The keys are plenty big enough on the 3110 classic...unless you have the hands of a gorilla of course. :o

Nice phone for photos,video,etc,although i havent used it for edge/gprs as yet.

The only thing i'm slightly dissapointed with is the maximum ringing volume,but maybe its just all the technology crammed in there that means something has to give.

Aren't the keys a little too small on the 3110?

I find flip or slide open models have more generous key pads, as they don't compete for real estate with the screen.

You also get greater distance between your head and the battery which can generate substantial heat.

I think the decent sized key pad is actually one of the selling points. Its a very practical phone. The battery seems to last a long time too. I found this out after playing music through the speaker all afternoon today.

The Nokia 3110 Classic is a standard mono-block format phone and is more practical and functional than stylish. I have seen a number of Thai women with this model, age 25 - 45 professional types. I sat next to a 40-ish woman recently DMK-KKC in business class and we both got a laugh when we pulled out our 3110C's upon landing.

Maybe get a short-list based on your requirements, budget and style preferences, then take your friend shopping. Most of the manufacturer's websites allow you to easily compare multiple models.

I'd actually prefer the 3110C functions in the 5310 XpressMusic form factor, which is smaller, lighter and much thinner.

I have a few year old samsung d600 - mate had the e800. Any rate having a laff in the Queen Vic and chatting to one of the waitresses - she sees my mates mobile and goes gaga. I pull out mind and she laffs - old mobile not worth anything. :o Thai(s) are serious about their mobiles and want the newest gadgets.

Edited by britmaveric

I have a few year old samsung d600 - mate had the e800. Any rate having a laff in the Queen Vic and chatting to one of the waitresses - she sees my mates mobile and goes gaga. I pull out mind and she laffs - old mobile not worth anything. :D Thai(s) are serious about their mobiles and want the newest gadgets.

There sure are serious and why? its beyond me :o

I lost my Sony Ericsson K 750i last week, so bought the new Sony Ericsson W 760i, it's a walkman phone with real kickazz features, GPRS, Navigator, Google Maps etc etc...My old K 750i was a good phone, but this knocks that old one into a cocked hat. :o

Scores 8.7 on CNet Asia, along with one Nokia model it's the highest rated phone they have ever tested.

12900 Baht I paid in Loei, should be able to get it for 12,000 in Bkk or Pattaya

Edited by Maigo6

A lot of good advice here.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess it's down to the lady. Phones are very personal and the ladies might have very different views.

The Nokia 3110 Classic is priced very well but it won't be up to me.

Having said that, where is the best place in LOS to lay your money down?

I suspect I must buy locally as I'll be needing Thai language programming as well as Thai network compatibility.

On the other hand if I new Australian phones were compatible my shopping options would be much greater.

...You also get greater distance between your head and the battery which can generate substantial heat.

I don't think it's the battery that gets hot - it's your head due to the microwaves frying your brain. :o

I saw the Nokia 3110 Classic for sale in Tesco-Lotus for a pretty low price....< 3000 THB I believe

I just had a look at the tescolotus site, are you sure about that price?

Web site says 3600.

cheers :o

Bought one about a month ago and it was 3,600 then!

At under 3000 I'll buy another one, just for the Edge GPRS modem :D

Thais are totally thick when talking about mobile phones. I bought my missus a new Samsung D600 2 1/2 years ago when it first came out for about Bt15,000. Top class 2mpxl camera and all singing and dancing.

Now in 2 years she can use 3 of the 1000 things it can do. Phone, SMS and take pictures / video. Now it is old and crap but I'll be buggered if I'm paying for a new one.

Just status, thats all.