Facing Death?

Dr. Burrito

Seems like the reprobates over in Iraq gave Ms. Hassain the ultimate farewell. From what I could gather on the internet, she was videoed pleading for her life, humiliated and all that. Not unlike what they have done to the other folks they have captured.

Brings to mind the question, 'Have you ever faced death? Have you been in one of those moments when you did not see yourself coming out alive?'

I guess car wrecks could count, but the number of people who die in them compared to hoow many ther are make that kind of a trite comparison really.

Now, to be fair, these people have faced circumstances far beyond their control and void of hope. Seems like some have dealt with it better than others. Not my place too say how anyone in particular dealt with it.

I've smelled the grim reapers breath on several occasions. Its always been interesting to say the least. The most recent encounter has left me more bouyant and ready for life than any other encounter. It was the most defining death encounter I have had yet to date, but also the one where I was the least in control. I didn't freak out, but that's me and I also didn't have someone holding a gun to my head either.

Anyway, how many of you had walked that fine line? How do you think you handled it? Did it change your life in a permanent way, good or bad? Did you breakdown, did you bear up? I don't think either makes you better or worse as a person not necessarily stronger either. Its possible the most individual experience you will ever have.

Thoughts? Experiences?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've faced death in different ways many times already in my short life - through illness (twice), being held up with 4 automatic rifles pointed at my head, and shot at from a distance during a civil riot in Nepal (guy in front of me got shot), car crashes (numerous), fires (3)

All I can say is that its ALWAYS scary, but I get more resigned to it and put up less resistance to it each time...I mean its gonna happen one day regardless, right?

Well the iraqi injured and weaponless man sure can't tell his story here anymore  :o  :D

And then the US wonders why certain people get angry ???  :D

Couldn't agree more. And then Fox News says that the marines were worried about boobie traps on his body so that's why they needed to shoot him. If that was the case wouldn't they back up really quick and then shoot? Instead these marines casually waled over. Casually took his life and casually stood around.

Listen to the transcript. The marines sound like typical ###### frat boys in a US university.

"he's not dead' he's fuc#king faking it'. (Shots fired). 'he's dead now.'

Then the superiors come on CNN and say how all procedures were followed and that there will be an investigation. Oh good.

Congrats USA. You just seriously pissed off another few hundred million Arabs who will soon be looking to vent that anger.

Okay, now to answer the question. Yes, nearly went under in a strong rip tide. Had nothing left in me when a surfer paddled in and grabbed me. I think looking death in the eye and surviving without permanent injury is one of the best things that can happen to you. Life is so very short. Must try to appreciate.

Well the iraqi injured and weaponless man sure can't tell his story here anymore  :o  :D

This is relevant, why? What about you?

It is regrettable but that is what war is like as any veteran from WW2 will tell you.Prisoners were killed on all sides, but of course there was no CNN cameras then taking pictures.I'm not American nor a supporter of the war but I would be hesitant to rush to judgement on that young GI.Decisions in war have to be taken instantaneously and sometimes they are wrong. and if found guilty the soldier concerned will be disciplined.To compare this incident to the murder of Mrs Hassan is obscene, and I hope the reasons do not have to be spelt out.

Survived a plane crash in Abu Dhabi 1997. A Gulf Air flight from Abu Dhabi to Bahrain. The first thing that happened after they put the fire out was spray over the Gulf Air logo so no photographs. According to Gulf Air it was an "aborted take-off".

Did it change my life? ###### yes, lead to a divorce, thankfully now re-married to a nice Thai wife.

Often think what would have happened had the crash not occurred.

It is regrettable but that is what war is like as any veteran from WW2 will tell you.Prisoners were killed on all sides, but of course there was no CNN cameras then taking pictures.I'm not American nor a supporter of the war but I would be hesitant to rush to judgement on that young GI.Decisions in war have to be taken instantaneously and sometimes they are wrong. and if found guilty the soldier concerned will be disciplined.To compare this incident to the murder of Mrs Hassan is obscene, and I hope the reasons do not have to be spelt out.

Eeeuh Who's comparing to Ms Hassan ????

Just shows contempt for life and therefore i cant regret they might face a near death experience soon...

What goes around comes around........For either side

I once had a Russells viper on my bedroom floor. It was right in my path as I was going for a hungover wazz but thank God they are a loud snake and I heard it before I came to grief and was able to remove it.

Did it change my life? Not really but I always scan my floor every morning now, even in BKK.

Fair enough. I used to be a stuntman a long, long time ago. I was standing on the rudders out of this helicopter that was hovering over 300 feet above rocky shcolls waiting for our cue when a faulty harness came undone. Suddenly, there I am with nothing holding me to the damned thing. Now, as long as he doesn't twitch that baby, I was alright. But since I had no headset on and was outside the chopper, no way is he going to hear my, 'DON'T GO YET, DON'T GO YET' puny screams.

If he had gotten the cue before I get secured, I was a goner. I had many a sleepless night over that afterwards.

Most recently, I was doing a job out in Thonburi when a roof collapsed from under me. Thirty feet later I was a broken mess on a concrete floor. I knew I was bleeding from my head, but what I wasn't sure of was whether brains were dribbling out with it.

Since I hadn't lost conciousness, I pulled put my mobile which survived the fall (NOKIA AD INSERT) and called my mother and father in America. I honestly wasn't sure how bad I was, but felt like I should let them know. After that, I called the guy whose gear I screwed up and apologized. :o

Shattered arm, broken tailbone and more, but no internal injuried and no death. After a month in the hospital and several more in a wheelchair, I was back on my feet and on the way to recovery. I have ever since been far more settled about life, love and happiness.

It took this one to make me grateful about what I have been blessed with in this life. The other ones were learning tools not understood.

Any more you want details on? :D

That'll suffice and good to hear you're OK.

Biggest time with my heart in my mouth was about 12 years ago travelling the road from Buriram province to Aranya. Still Khmer Rouge activity on this road. I had been warned.

Came over the brow of a hill, to see in the distance people who were obviously armed. My Thai companions couldn't understand the danger here.

I live to tell the tale, with a rifle against my head and my Thai friends insisting I wasn't a journalist.

Fortunately, I've never had a really serious accident, but that situation made me think.

I have travelled the road many times since, but it's OK now.

And are you/have you been angry about the killings from the "terrorists", you know beheadings of innocent people, etc.......what's your take on that. Geesh, I have to wonder why "certain people" don't get angry about that. Not much outrage concerning these truly innocent deaths if we compare to the current "war zone". So get "angry", no problem, but why you don't express any anger for what these others people did/are doing. I truly don't understand.

My take on that is exactly the same. I don't condem americans only. I condem all stupid idiots who are shortsighted , aggresive and dumb.

Some idiot now just made a reason more for terrorists, so more terrorist can give a reason to more dumb americans to support things like this :o and to reelect more dumb presidents.

In the end only the normal, smart and innocent people will be effected.

ps i mean dumb and smart not in intelligence but in consiousness.

Let`s get back to the original topic, no politics.

Facing death or almost...

kick the bucket, go for a burton, buy the farm, buy the ranch, buy it, drop the cue, go for one's tea, go to the races, eat it, have it, hop the twig, come to a sticky end, turn one's face to the wall, go down the tube, slip/cut one's cable, snuff it, go to Davy Jones's locker, head for the last round-up, take the last count, answer the last roll-call, jump the last hurdle, make the last muster, kayoed for keeps, take the big jump,call it a day, call it quits, quit the scene, quit it, give up the ship, pass in one's checks, put one's checks in the rack, hang up one's hat, hang up one's harness, lay down one's knife and fork, hand in one's dinner-pail, throw in the sponge,cash in, cash in / pass in / hand in one's chips and call off all bets,turn up one's toes, curl up one's toes and die, up and die and go belly up,pop one's clogs, drop off the twig, step off the deep end and snuff out like a candle, push up daisies, be grounded for good, strike bedrock, deep six, feed the worms, take a dirt nap, kick off, cool off, kiss off, pop off, slam off, drop off, pipe off, shove off, step off, conk off, check out, peg out, pass out, strike out, chalk out, flake out, flack out, conk out, bow out, weigh out, check in, kick in, shove over, keel over.

Survived a head-on collision in the middle-east. The arabs in the opposite car

all died which was kind of ironic cause if there is a god apparently he/she also takes care of an unbeliever as myself.

It changed my life a little bit because it made me realise that probably my time will come when it is needed and it does not depend on neurotic things like stopping with smoking or putting sun tan while outdoors etc.

And are you/have you been angry about the killings from the "terrorists", you know beheadings of innocent people, etc.......what's your take on that. Geesh, I have to wonder why "certain people" don't get angry about that. Not much outrage concerning these truly innocent deaths if we compare to the current "war zone". So get "angry", no problem, but why you don't express any anger for what these others people did/are doing. I truly don't understand.

The beheadings are equally as sick. We should be equally as outraged when a white hostage is beaheaded as when an unarmed and wounded Iraqi man is casually shot in the heart by US marines. But somehow, there is far less sympathy for the Iraqi. Its not difficult to see why there is so much hatred of the US in the Middle East.

The beheadings are equally as sick. We should be equally as outraged when a white hostage is beaheaded as when an unarmed and wounded Iraqi man is casually shot in the heart by US marines. But somehow, there is far less sympathy for the Iraqi. Its not difficult to see why there is so much hatred of the US in the Middle East.

Well i'm not in the midle east, neither of muslim religion, neither of arab origin.

It's pretty simpel why the sympathy is For iraqi people.

Iraq didn't invade the us....The US invaded iraq under false pretenses because of a vendictive president who wanted to settle daddy's score. Period

Don't start with the war on terror , iraq was related bla bla ... it US garbage patriotic nonsense for idiots to believe.

I had a ticket for the Swissair flight that went down off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada a few years back, killing everyone on board. Decided against going the evening before due to personal reasons. If you can call that a situation facing death...

i dont know what all the fuss is about regarding the gi who shot the injured iraqi,he was nearly dead anyway, the gi just helped him on his way to paradise, and his 70 virgins, imo,he should get a medal, not punishment

i dont know what all the fuss is about regarding the gi who shot the injured iraqi,he was nearly dead anyway, the gi just helped him on his way to paradise, and his 70 virgins, imo,he should get a medal, not punishment

Unarmed in a Mosque and you don't know what the fuss is about, Hellooooooo...it's a war crime. Unatmed in the World Trade Center, by your thinking, the terrorists were just helping the victums on their way to heaven, should they have been given medals as well. I don't think so.. Personally I think both actions are wrong.

The statements made by some here are very troubling coming from people that want to live in a Buddhist country. Possibly some should learn the tenents of buddhism and put them to memory and use.

Face to face with death?

Yes, I once had to sit next to a Dr D'Eath at a dinner party.

The most boring person it's ever been my misfortune to meet.

Death would have come as a welcome release!

:o

Since we have to have two topics going let me a say a little about both. First I am an American Citizen. Am I happy that we are in Iraq, for whatever reason no. Soldiers and the average citizen never create war, politicians do. So lets get real here the U.S. didn't make a mistake in invading Iraq, Uncle George did. If there had been a decent contender in the last election he would probably be looking for a job today, but there wasn't.

I recently left retirement for a few months and worked in Kuwait at an American base. Wanted to experience working in a foriegn country, since I had never had that opportunity in my working days. I met several young soilders assigned to convoy duty, as a Vietnam Vet ( another great American choice) I could identify with them.

One stood out in my mind, a young guy who had the cab of his truck shot up pretty good. Typical G.I. really didn't complain to much about that, except for the round that his aircon. The day before he had attended a funeral of one of his friends, who had been killed in the same incident. In that conversation, he said to me, you know sir I know it isn't right but I really am starting to hate those people. The only thing I could tell him was that it wouild pass with time.

Boy we really don't expect much from 19 year old kids do we. We really think that we can put them in harms way in the worst possible circumstances and it is not going to effect them.

I won't support the politician in this but these kids, yes I will. I truly believe some Iraqi is thinking the same way about thier young soliders.

I have no idea who is right and who is wrong and really don't care. at this juncture in our world millions are exposed to this daily. The true tradgedy is that anyone under any circumstance has to live through such a nightmare. But the world is what it is and has been since recorded history. Has the past two thousand years changed anything? Only one aspect has changed now we have much more efficient ways of killing each other.

The future will tell what is in store for Iraq, then someone can evalaute if it turned into a positive direction for them. I doubt that it will ever be for those who lost loved ones on either side of the mess.

I apologize for the rant, I just felt someone neede to say something for that young kid I met in Iraq a few months back, I hope he survives.

Well death yes I have faced it pretty much on a daily basis for years working for L.A.P.D. Enough killing going on. that they brought in military medical teams to train in treatment of gun shot wounds, when we didn't have a war going on. It is amazing what the human mind can adjust to. I had no idea just how cruel people could be to one another, people die over parking spaces. Death in these kinds of circumtances I don't know exactly how to describe it, there lies a motionless body, that few moments before had dreams hopes, then nothing. Did they handle it bravely, I doubt they had that much time to get pass the shock, or even realized that in a very short matter of time that they would be dead.

My only true personal experience was I was riding a motorcycle and was hit by a truck. I was out cold for a period of time. I really had no pain until about an hour after. Death wasn't as scary after that, the agony of the pain and suffering still is, but death itself no. I do have to admit that I didn't ride for about a year after that but here in Thailand it is one of my major hobbies.

I have watched loved ones die in the years passed, my father 40 years ago, when medicine was not as it is today. Did he lose some diginty in the process yes. But I honestly believe it was not the fear of dying it was the pain he went through, his loss of control of his bodily functions.

On the other hand a older brother died a few years back, he had been fighting various illnesses, and bit by bit his body was just shutting down. There were treatments for each ailment, but by the time he made his decesion, he would be undergoing several treatments at a time, with no end in sight. He made choice to give up, his circumstances were controlled and he died at home. Was he afraid didn't seem to be, didn't suffer much pain. Part of the process was he was given as much morphine as he wanted.

My best guess is we will each face our own death in our own ways, with actions and reactions as different as people are today. Near death experiences and the reactions of those who experience it, are probably the same way. Some it will have a profound effect for others not.

For those we see murdered today, I think the actual waiting not knowing and anticipation would far exceed the agony of the act itself.

Just my humble thoughts

"""My best guess is we will each face our own death in our own ways, with actions and reactions as different as people are today. Near death experiences and the reactions of those who experience it, are probably the same way. Some it will have a profound effect for others not.

For those we see murdered today, I think the actual waiting not knowing and anticipation would far exceed the agony of the act itself.

Just my humble thoughts"""

I would agree.

I suffered a open skull fracture. The parietal bone was knocked out of place. The parietal bone is the largest bone within the skull, and is connected to the temporal, frontal and occipital. Basically the parietal bone consists of half your skull from above the ear.... Any who.... as I laid bleeding on the ground, I was waiting for the intracranial pressure to take over... and I knew that I would eventually die from that.

I would blink my eyes, and self examine things, see if my eyes felt full, if my hearing was shifting... speech slured etc... Heck I was even doing math equations, just to check if the noodles were still working.

I really thought I was going to die. I can't say I was all that scared, my attitude was more of.... "This is the situation I am in, now deal with it, and don't give up."

After around 2 hours the helicopter came flew me out, and after a 3 hour surgery... I was patched up.... Ohther than some metal in my head, bumps in my head and some large scars, there is no other sign of the accident.

It did change my life some.... It made me realize that life is short, and to be grateful for the things that I did have... It also made me settle down from my wandering ways, and to be grateful for the woman by my side that wanted to love me forever.. We married shortly after the accident.

Now in this situation, I had no gun at my head, I had a slight chance of living, and I knew it. In a situation with a gun to my head and I was going to shot for no apparent reason..... Yea, I'd prabably pis myself....

Unarmed in a Mosque and you don't know what the fuss is about, Hellooooooo...it's a war crime. Unatmed in the World Trade Center, by your thinking, the terrorists were just helping the victums on their way to heaven, should they have been given medals as well. I don't think so.. Personally I think both actions are wrong.

The statements made by some here are very troubling coming from people that want to live in a Buddhist country. Possibly some should learn the tenents of buddhism and put them to memory and use.

hi lucama,-nice to talk to you ! surely its better to die from a single shot to the brain , as this iraqi chap received,(thanks to the gi) than to have your throat cut through with a blunt insrument , until your head becomes unattached?(re ken ) hope to hear your reply , cheers , andy ----

Anyway, how many of you had walked that fine line? How do you think you handled it? Did it change your life in a permanent way, good or bad?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Two situations for me ...

The first was getting run into by a truck while on my motorcycle, at about 50mph. I remember sliding down the road on my chest and at the same time staring at the front wheel of a car bearing down on me. Fortunately the driver of that car saw me, but if the coin toss went the other way, then I could have just as easily been run over. I had several broken bones, was in the hospital for a week and in recovery for a couple of months. As a result I chose to become a better and safer rider, eventually becoming an expert. That in and of itself probably saved me from a few more potential accidents. But I can't really say that it affected my life in any sort of spiritual sense.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with a treatable form of leukemia. To make a long story short, I went through about 10 months of ######, but everything is going good now. This was a life altering experience. I saw so many people both much younger and much older in the chemo treatment rooms, who were so much worse off than I was. All I could think of was that some of them weren't going to make, and I was. How could one not be changed by that king of experience? So the answer to you question is yes, it did affect my life, for the positive I like to think.

Later,

Spee

Hi Andy..

No matter how you rationalize killing to yourself - I believe deeply that both actions were wrong. As you defend the GI doing a mercy killing on the Iraqi, there is an Iraqi that looks at the other action in exactly the same way. Who wins not the iraqi or the GI. not the terrorist or the hostage. We as people of the world loose; because it shows we have evolved little since we learned to beat each other with rocks..