Bulder/developers House Guarantee

Does anybody know the law re the above, is there a guarantee our builder says NO. if there is how long is it and what does it cover.

Also we have been waiting for nearly a year to get remedial work done but the builder keeps fobbing us off or doing a small repair and cocking it up. Small estate 20 homes only built a year ago

Is there a gov body to get in touch with.

appreciate any help

If you do not have a written guarantee in place prior to purchase then i guess you are on your own.

More reliable developers (such as i) will offer a 5 year structural warranty, in our opinion if the house is built correctly in the first place we have no worries!

You should have been given all the warranty cards etc. for air con, pumps, hot water etc. so you have the manufacturers warranty on these items.

I dont know if you are aware, but house insurance is very cheap here and very comprehensive. Our policy is less than 3000 baht / year (AIA) and covers such things as flood damage and lightning damage (insurers in the west certainly would not entertain that!!)

I have never heard of any government body dealing with a dispute such as yours, i guess any that might, would ask to see a copy of your purchase contract and if no mention of warranty then...TIT

1. I do not remember the law exactly, but it does indicate that a builder must guarantee the house for a period of time after it is completed, especially when it is a development, not simply one house.

........... A lot of buyers at a large expensive development in Bangkok are suing the builder for shoddy workmanship. It is FAR from being unprecedented.

2. I am suing the builder of a small house which I contracted to have built because he did not finish the work he was paid for. Not the same case as yours.

Sadly there is very little you can do.

If you still owe the developer money then that is usually the only way you can make them redo poor work.

Alas not all developers are the same and some if you nag them enough will eventually come through.

Basically if you buy a new build these are the problems you will have so make sure you hold back some money until you are completly happy that everything is ok.

I have had 2 houses built and whilst both had problems I hired an independant project manager to make a snagging list and made sure they completed everything before I made the final payment.

I guess thats the main benefit of buying a resale property - you can check everything has been done to your satisfaction.

Of course you could take legal proceedings against the developer if you have the money, time and patience but, even if you win, there is no guaruntee you will get what you want.

If it was me I would spend the money I might pay to a lawyer to get things sorted out....

Good luck.

Sadly there is very little you can do.

If you still owe the developer money then that is usually the only way you can make them redo poor work.

Alas not all developers are the same and some if you nag them enough will eventually come through.

Basically if you buy a new build these are the problems you will have so make sure you hold back some money until you are completly happy that everything is ok.

I have had 2 houses built and whilst both had problems I hired an independant project manager to make a snagging list and made sure they completed everything before I made the final payment.

I guess thats the main benefit of buying a resale property - you can check everything has been done to your satisfaction.

Of course you could take legal proceedings against the developer if you have the money, time and patience but, even if you win, there is no guaruntee you will get what you want.

If it was me I would spend the money I might pay to a lawyer to get things sorted out....

Good luck.

thanks folks for your advice..........